Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here are some examples why 1 tpy is stupid or not done right.

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Default Here are some examples why 1 tpy is stupid or not done right.

I hate 1 tpy , i hate not relating to my generals or army leaders. Even agents die far too quick.

Anyway here are some time and distance examples in the game.

London to Paris will take you 5 general years at least

The English channel to cross by sea takes 2-3 years!!(even by double row)

Cross the Caspian Sea?, well that will take you 5-10 years!!

Want to send your army from England to Egypt?, well that would take you about 20 years!! your young general will probably kick the bucket on the way.

This to me is the number one issue with Rome 2 and why it will continue to suck until its recognised. Total war was always about your armies and leaders, building and developing them but now all that seems to be feeble to me.

You can clearly see from my example why generals die so quick, heck it takes 5 years to assemble a army!!, so assemble army and move it and your looking at 20 years at least.

I want a total war back that i can have love for my generals again and not have this morbid "your elite uber general has dies every 2 minutes".

Would rather a game over 100 years span at 400 turns that i can relate too.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Here are some examples why 1 tpy is stupid or not done right.

get the mod bro, 4tpy mod. don't get the one where the modder lengthens all research and build times x 4. get the simple one.

you will finally have generals and agents living long enough to gain experience.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

@crazii
    What OP is trying to say I think is. It shouldnt take mods to make your game a better experience. Vanilla Rome II feels like even with the new features its half done.

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

thanks anyway but would rather CA see the error of there ways!, even if its only to save the future generations of TW games + i dont see why our talented modders should be stuck fixing everything.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

The funniest part is that, since your generals die off so quickly, you usually end up with a bunch of noob generals, but your gold chevron-trained soldiers will maintain their experience level over the course of three centuries.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post

The English channel to cross by sea takes 2-3 years!!(even by double row)
    Where have you been? Aren`t you a regular? I also posted this fact. Ages ago. Others did even sooner than me almost on release. This very simple point alone shows how shoddily the game was released. It`s not a hard one to miss. Took you a long time to finally figure this out. Were you too long praising it maybe, before you started seeing the cracks? Welcome to the club.

Dude, they didn't implement the 4 seasons mechanic because they can't find a way to split the map to have different conditions and stuff as seasons turn and churn.

Agriculture profit is a straight line.
    Public order is a straight line.
    Health is a straight line, or non-existent.
    Sea faring conditions are non-existent.
    Coastal conditions are non-existent.
    In land conditions are non-existent.
    Desert conditions are non-existent.

Everything is flat and the only difference between a desert town and a Germanic town is the look.

Construction costs during winter?
    Army conditions when encamped or moving during winter?

etc. etc. etc.

There's too much that they'd have to add into the game had they implemented seasons. Even simply to have each turn randomly end in a different season of the year is not there.

captcruch's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jugashvili View Post
    The funniest part is that, since your generals die off so quickly, you usually end up with a bunch of noob generals, but your gold chevron-trained soldiers will maintain their experience level over the course of three centuries.

Why did you talking about this ??? now they know we like it !!!! they should already be in meeting to remove this nice bug

If the Yankees dare set foot in Virginia,we must show them bayonet .

Quote Originally Posted by GnaReffotsirk View Post
    Dude, they didn't implement the 4 seasons mechanic because they can't find a way to split the map to have different conditions and stuff as seasons turn and churn.

Everything is flat and the only difference between a desert town and a Germanic town is the look.

etc. etc. etc.

There's too much that they'd have to add into the game had they implemented seasons. Even simply to have each turn randomly end in a different season of the year is not there.
    Uh no completely wrong on all levels.

The reason it's 1 turn per year is because the game stretches for about 300 years.

That's why MTW2 had 2 turns per year (Yet nobody bothers to even bring that up) as it covered a longer time frame.

That's why games like NTW and FOTS which covers 6-12 years have 4-12 turns per year in order to match that 300 length time.

So everytime CA focuses on a narrower campaign like NTW and FOTS expect multiple turns per year.

If CA goes for a bigger timeframe then expect at least 1 turn per year.

Don't know why that's so hard to figure it out. They said it themselves and you can see it through the games they made.

If you keep moving and fighting in RTW2 you won't notice your generals and agents dying too much. It's when your not doing anything that you notice them dying fast.

And if the terrain was flat then you wouldn't have rolling hills and ridges in the battlemaps because the battlemap is generated from campaign map.
    Last edited by nameless; October 07, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

I admit, I was being nasty back there. But, considering your view, I don't think that is any sufficient reason not to have seasons. For what it's worth, a year could randomly end in certain seasons, if they intended it.

Say, this turn ends in winter, next summer, next, spring, next fall. So, we'd have say, "Summer, 165 BC".

Med 2 solved it in a reasonable way: split it into multiple time periods.

I'm fine with 1TPY, and can bear compromises for the sake of game play, like travelling time as mentioned in the OP. But when my agents and generals can only operate for as long as 5 dozens turns, its just not right. I feel no attachment to my dudes, despite they provide so much benefit to my legions. And god forbid if one happens to earn exceptional good traits ... never before i felt the need to bring him to the front as much as possible to not waste those good traits :\

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

The only way multiple turns per year to work is to make eras campaign as in original medieval. They have decided against this.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Uh no completely wrong on all levels.
    That's why MTW2 had 2 turns per year (Yet nobody bothers to even bring that up) as it covered a longer time frame.
    M2TW had 2 years per turn.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; October 07, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

2 turns per year is needed. Who cares if the game can go for 300 years. So what? you get 600 turns out of one game instead of only 300. Most people don't stick with one campaign all the way to the end anyway. But for those who do, they will have a more rewarding experience.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    2 turns per year is needed. Who cares if the game can go for 300 years. So what? you get 600 turns out of one game instead of only 300. Most people don't stick with one campaign all the way to the end anyway. But for those who do, they will have a more rewarding experience.
    It's because of the bolded part. Those are the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Med 2 solved it in a reasonable way: split it into multiple time periods.
    You confuse it with old Medieval I guess. Medieval 2 vanilla do not have era. Those are from mods.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

you guys have to understand this, the campaign game is 250+ years long? it is the reason why each turn is a year. I forgot if there are in game events on certain years. since that part of the game is so easily modded. you will now finally have useable agents and generals. I have no problem with it. now, family trees, that will be a major fix. how will that work with the current political screen. hmm hmmm. Ca got themselves into a bind.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Jonoleth Irenicus's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by GnaReffotsirk View Post

etc. etc. etc.

MTW 2 had seasons - clearly defined and easily visible.

Absence of seasons in RTW 2 is an issue, but the constant demise of Generals and Agents is a huge issue.

Impossible to recreate the life of Marious, Pompey or Ceasar in such circumstances, or anything even close to that.

It did not take years for a Roman army to march from Spain to the Middle East.

At present this makes the game a lot less fun, and given people paid full price for the game, why should CA rely on Modders (who work for free) to fix simple issues that an open BETA or some proper internal play testing would have reaveled very quickly.

Alltogether, RTW 2 is disappointing.

The most disappointing one in the entire series and I played this series since Shogun.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post

You confuse it with old Medieval I guess. Medieval 2 vanilla do not have era. Those are from mods.
    Yeah, I'm not sure, too long to recall correctly Anw my point stands, generals/agents died too fast for me to even remember them, let alone to grow any attachment.

And the bold is so true. Aside the first legendary campaign in S2, I havent played any campaign to the end, mostly due to late game boredom. Realm divide, however horrific people claimed it to be, proved to be a refreshing challenge to snowballing problem. Rome 2's civil war is buggy and half-assedly implemented feature-wise, the same as everything "politics" in the game that CA advertised.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Exactly so what difference does it make to them if it goes on longer? None. And if there was more substance, more depth to the campaign -- with intrigue, seasons, and late game challenges maybe more players would stick through a campaign?
    (rhetorical question)

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    y since that part of the game is so easily modded. you will now finally have useable agents and generals.
    Yes, they are much more sensible with the 2tpy mods already out. But you make a mistake, turns are not truly easily modded. No modder can add seasons to the game and make a true Spring+Summer / Fall+Winter turn (or worse 4 tpy) system. Even the older games had the campaign map transform in winter for that 2nd turn in the year. It's truly pathetic in 2013 with the new Rome II that we do not have this feature. It's not just cosmetic, there are huge strategic repercussions to having seasons.

for that we will have to wait for an expansion :9 I know it sucks, but that isn't something that can be patch in. unless CA turns into blizzard
    fear is helluva drug

If they were going to do more than 1tpy and keep with the time-frame they'd need to add more bits and pieces to slow expansion. This more than likely wouldn't be settlements but rather additional public order penalties, rebellions etc. Little things that everyone would start to get frustrated at by their 250th turn. I just want seasons back in mainly. In my campaign it's 100BCE and I have't seen snow yet...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast