Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Mod Address, Fall 2013: We're Almost There

Default Re: State of the Mod Address, Fall 2013: We're Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post

I must say he got a point. EBI is (at last) quite fast now, with new machines and all. But I tried some hugely scripted mods ( de Bello Mundi...) and it was really a game-killer how this game is slow while turns are going. I just bring us back to the old EB1 script (before it was cleaned up) with old machines... Quite hard to comming back to that rythme !

Oh I remember that, The Bello Mundi is like Rome II end turn times on steroids, mainly because they have put many unecessary scripts ( such as changing the name of various cities according with wich faction owns it, its kinda cool but unecessary ).

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles Lacedaemon View Post
    Oh I remember that, The Bello Mundi is like Rome II end turn times on steroids, mainly because they have put many unecessary scripts ( such as changing the name of various cities according with wich faction owns it, its kinda cool but unecessary ).
    The feature of changing name is in Broken Crescent if I remember correctly, and BC is not as slow as TBM... I think there are a LOT of uncessary scripts in TBM that takes a lot more of resources. Still, it is possible to run it in "light" mode, but I never tested it. Will probably do that soon to see how it works out.

Oh, and about time waster, I am glad EBII will not have merchants. Those animations when merchants try to overcome each other were just killing me ! And when they walk all their way to your territory is just.... well, I have no words except "loosing patience !"

M2TW team just messed that up I think. There should have been an option "do not show ennemi special character moves, but show ennemi armies moves".

But I digress

If I remember correctly, you can press the right mouse button to fast forward a move.

Yeah I hate merchants too. I think the only necessary agents are diplomats and princesses.

Just downloaded and played Peninsula Italica, and I love how fast the turns pass. I in fact prefer fast turns than unnecessary cosmetic scripts that add little to the gaming feel while making players frustrated waiting for new turn. The Thirty Years War mod is even slower than De Bello Mundi, and very joy-killing.
    Last edited by naq; January 18, 2014 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    Yeah I hate merchants too. I think the only necessary agents are diplomats and princesses.
    I don't think princesses make sense for EB2?

In EB1 the AI had no financial limitations. I shudder to think of what its merchant assaults would be like when it can spam as many as it wants, train them up, and let them loose just as your economy gains its footing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't they said that merchants will be static and have different textures to represent smaller settlements.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

That's what I recall too... or was that in Dominion of the Swords' garrison castles? It was a lifetime ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    That's what I recall too... or was that in Dominion of the Swords' garrison castles? It was a lifetime ago.
    DoTS is definitely doing it and I think the EB team borrowed the idea

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    DoTS is definitely doing it and I think the EB team borrowed the idea
    We're not, at least for the first release. They require heavy scripting and even making them immobile the AI can still use assassins to "kill" them.
    Also they would die of old age, which should be able to be solved by heavy scripting impacting performance.

In conclusion they offer too little to the cost.

Ok my mistake. Seeing as its been mentioned, what is the status with forts in EB2? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that there will be PSFs so how many should we expect in first release?

PSFs are in and will represent minor settlements.
    However battles will be represented by field ones, not siege.

May I ask what is PSF (Permanent smth Fort??)??

Quote Originally Posted by Venetus View Post
    May I ask what is PSF (Permanent smth Fort??)??
    Permenant Stone Fort
    I don't know how much you know about these things but there are basically two options when you're designing a mod. Forts can either be temporary wooden ones like vanilla Rome or Med2 that can be created by armies and disappear when left ungarrisoned OR Permanent Stone Forts which act as permanent fortifications on the strat map but (apparently in EB2s case) will be open field battles on the battle map

I didn't know this option exists in MTW. Thank you for explaining. Regarding field battles, it's probably the best choice, otherwise it would lead to to-many siege battles.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Permenant Stone Fort
    I don't know how much you know about these things but there are basically two options when you're designing a mod. Forts can either be temporary wooden ones like vanilla Rome or Med2 that can be created by armies and disappear when left ungarrisoned OR Permanent Stone Forts which act as permanent fortifications on the strat map but (apparently in EB2s case) will be open field battles on the battle map
    I wonder, would it be possible to have both at the same time? PSF representing smaller settlements but with field battles is the best way to go, as too many sieges of the same castle/fortress type is boring, but wooden ones created by the FM's as winter/resting camps or forced choke points would add some tactics.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Sadly not, the engine doesn't allow us that.
    We either go with PSF or with simple forts.

And btw in that time many of the settlement battles were field battles, so it's also backed up by history.

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

hey guys. how is it going? are u getting close for a release? can we expect something in february.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

So many people are waiting on this mod especially due to the fact that Rome 2 was absolute trash. The moment it is released I will wipe the waste of hard drive space that is Rome 2 from my computer. I’m sure Europa Barbarorum 2 will be everything that Rome 2 should have been, I can’t wait for it to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    So many people are waiting on this mod especially due to the fact that Rome 2 was absolute trash. The moment it is released I will wipe the waste of hard drive space that is Rome 2 from my computer. I’m sure Europa Barbarorum 2 will be everything that Rome 2 should have been, I can’t wait for it to be released.
    Yeah I was going to play this regardless but with Rome 2 being such utter trash I need this game even more now.

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shnikies View Post
    Yeah I was going to play this regardless but with Rome 2 being such utter trash I need this game even more now.
    Have you tried the DEI mod, it's like EB, except it's for Rome 2, here is the thread