Thread: Roma name change

Default Roma name change

Sorry if this is a common question - I had a poke around and couldn't see it anywhere. Anyway, point is, having loaded the RTR1.6 patch, I find Roma has changed its name to Tara. Can someone just tell me where I can edit city names so I can fix it myself? Of is this a symptom of a bigger problem I haven't come across yet?

While I am at it, I want to change Agrigento from its current modern italian name to either its Roman name (Agrigentum) or its Greek name (Akragas).

dharos's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Roma name change

The Roma name change is necessary, don't change it from Tara in the files.

dharos's Avatar Tiro

Florin I thought the Roma/Tara name change was necessary for the Marian Reforms to take place after a second Imperial Palace was built in Italy, but not count Rome as one?

COMPLETED - Swapped the game engine settlement name (Rome) for Roma with the remote city of Tara's game engine settlement name. The UI names that appear on th ecampaign map are the same, so only the game engine will know about this swap. This change will allow Roma to be a location where an imperial palace can be built to trigger the Marian Reforms.
    Anyway, if he wants to change the name of any other city(meaning the name outside the brackets) to look different on the campaign map, it`s his call.

You can change the name of Roma/Tara in the files without affecting the Marian reforms.

Cities in this game have two names: their "internal" name and their "visible" name. The Marian reform triggers work off the internal name of Rome, while what you see on the campaign map is the city's visible name. You can make the names different from each other.

To do this, go into your data\text folder and open up imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt. Do a search for "Tara" (without the quotes). The second result will show you that the city with the internal name of "Rome" has the visible name of "Tara". Next, go to data\world\campaign\imperial_campaign and open up descr_regions.txt. Do a search for "Tara" again (it should be in the region "Hibernia"), and re-name it to "Rome". Then do a search for "Rome" (under "Latium") and re-name it "Tara".

Delete map.rwm and start a new campaign and it should display the right name as well as allowing Rome to affect the Marian reforms.

Alternatively, if you own Rome/Tara and don't want to start a new campaign, open your preferences folder and go to preferences.txt. Scroll down to the bottom and change EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES to TRUE. Load your campaign, open Rome/Tara's recruitment/building scroll and click on the city's name at the top of the scroll. Hit backspace until the name is deleted and replace it with Roma.

Thanks all for the feedback - the point was that Roma appears as Tara on my game map. Seems like the best way to fis it is to go capture it, and change it from the city screen!

There is another way: go to your RTW folder and open the file

data\text\imperial_campaign_region_and_settlement_names.txt

There you will find the internal and external names of the settlements listed this way:

¬ Names for regions and settlements in the imperial campaign
    {Bructeriburgaz} Bructeriburgaz
    {Cheruschiburgaz} Cheruschiburgaz
    {Venedigorod} Venedigorod
    {Vicus_Marcomannii} Marcomanniburgaz
    {Durocortorum} Durocortorum
    {Tanais} Tanais
    {Condate_Redonum} Condate

The names between brackets are the internal names. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. The names outside the brackets are the ones shown in the campaign map. You can look for the Tara name here and change it to Rome with no problem. After that, delete the MAP.RWM file in your data\world\maps\base folder.

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

Yust install RTRPE v1.7beta .
    Roma has changed its name to Roma again,and same is with Tara.