Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fix Sparta DLC before trying to sell us more DLC

Default Re: Fix Sparta DLC before trying to sell us more DLC

Quote Originally Posted by [N2]Kami View Post
    I played only Athens so far and I can say there roster is good enough all-round with pike,hoplite and great shock cavalry if compare to Roman general cavalry (Believe me, I once kill almost 1k men without lose a single horseman) and decent slinger right from the start. Later you got thorax swordman to guard the rear, replace hoplite.

And problem with Sparta like OP said is for gameplay balance aka CA idea. Deal with it, it won't change in near future. I don't know about the no port problem though, I think you can take Athens/Knossos/Epirus's cities to get a port?
    Your only choice to increase trade is take Athens, or take another city with a port and let Sparta rebel or get taken... Love the fact people say screw your idea if they don't agree with the way you play the game. What if I don't want to take Athens out in the first of the game? What if you want all the greek city states to survive and thrive for a later battle? But but but its total war and your supposed to steam roll.... Meh TWC profiles should add gamer age to there posts so as to be taken into account.
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Quote Originally Posted by Americanus Supremus View Post
    Sorry was confusing the Hippie Cavalry with the Citizen Cavalry. Doesn't change the fact I still believe general units should be a bit more ELITE than that of there recruitable counterpart that is a stack unit not a General unit.

HAHAHA that seems to be a common question from you, did I play the game... Let me check ummm yes over 265 hours to this point. Testing EVERYTHING I can think of, but thank you for asking if I had... When I read about this time period EVERYONE was in decline except Rome it seems. Sparta was in decline, Athens was in decline, from the games portrayal Carthage is in decline and broken up, Seleucid is a shell of its self with satrapies that it cant even trade with on the FREAKING SILK ROAD... From reading your posts I cant tell if you defend/prefer arcadie stream lining or historical accuracy, you bounce between the two and its a bit confusing.

Varied unit roster you say??? One unit of pike, one unit of shock cavalry, 2 units of melee cavalry, a unit or two of ranged cavalry, a couple units of spear/hoplite, a couple of thorax, and I think 5 ranged units give or take one unit. Yup that sounds like DLC VARIED CONTENT to me, jeez you are so very easy to please there Karam

Oh and I forgot those 10 units of siege equipment that almost every other faction gets... Sorry
    general units of all the factions are recruitable units. with some you actually get less man in a unit

actually no as well, not everyone was in decline a lot of the factions that are in the game were rising or stable at the start of the game.

your concern about diplomacy is actually unfounded and simply it works, if the other factions wont trade with you there are several reasons they wont do. I guess CA can dumb down and tell us why they wont trade with us, it makes things easier

and no this might actually be the first time that I asked if you played the game, its quite the contrary people ask me if I played it

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

My concern about diplomacy are unfounded? Are you kidding me? Are we playing the same game.... Fire up a new campaign with Sparta and go to diplomacy and tell me who you can trade with? Play that campaign for 200 turns WITHOUT taking Athens and not DELIBERATELY losing your capital of Sparta and tell me who you can trade with? Jeez have you played this game, maybe just not as Sparta so I will wait for your response there....

I know this is a wiki page but scale down to the geography section of the article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta

In case you don't, I am referencing a specific quote. That of, "Though landlocked, Sparta had a harbor, Gytheio, on the Laconian Gulf." Guess CA didn't know that or it again was a design feature. I'll go with design feature, the city streamlining is a joke. Sparta cant even build training grounds or any military improvement buildings. Sandbox or Historical that is just dumb...

Again I ask you to start up a new campaign this time with Seleucid, if your game allows Then do the same, go to diplomacy and see who you can trade with. Then look at your satrapies and see whom of them you can trade with. Then close down that screen, remember which factions CANNOT trade with and look at why.... Oh they are blocked road wise by my OTHER CLIENT STATES. So your telling me my client states blocking my other clients states trade with ME is a design feature of CA? WOW... And in case you forgot and I will of course double check my sources but the route in which we are speaking is part of the illustrious and very well known SILK ROAD

http://www.silkroaddialogue.org/wp-c.../silkroad2.jpg

if you will spefically look at the city at the very west end of this map, its Antioch isn't it? Yup your RIGHT, they shouldn't be able to trade at all with the other end of there EMPIRE...

My point with General Units is essentially this; look at Macedon at start, at the Arveni, Suebi, Iceni, Ptolemies, and the general units they can recruit compared to the units that Athens can recruit. Notice any difference in quality? If not then we look for different things in Historically based games. In historical I mean recreating something that actually happened in history and you play it out from that certain point in history. As directed by the game designer of course.
    Last edited by Americanus Supremus; October 09, 2013 at 02:31 PM.

you are pretty aware or should be that nothing that you said actually concerns diplomacy. nothing at all.

trade has always been a matter of if your capital can connect directly to a faction, this can be done via a sea route or land route this has been in every game. Sparta cant and CA havent given a port to sparta.

Ummm your aware that you brought up diplomacy right, I figure you were interchanging your adjectives like you interchange your ideas. Diplomacy = Trade since no where in the thread have I seen diplomacy discussed only trade. Please try and focus

and I quote your above post

"your concern about diplomacy is actually unfounded and simply it works, if the other factions wont trade with you there are several reasons they wont do. I guess CA can dumb down and tell us why they wont trade with us, it makes things easier"

So again your confusing yourself, not me confusing you or imagining issues that don't exist.
    Last edited by Americanus Supremus; October 09, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

I will answer simply: the cake is a lie
    The new province system is fake, you just have the same "provincial cities/resource buildings" than before (like in ETW or Shogun2) but they put borders around them, creating fake territories. Fake because you still need the capital (your former main city or castle) to get the main building chain (happiness, factories, etc). Just think about it, nothing has changed, only the added borders...
    Which mean that for factions like Sparta, you must invade someone else capital city to get what you should have in your own city!!!

it was my bad, I immediately associated trade with diplomacy when you said that you couldnt trade

I dont interchange my ideas, there is a certain amount of things that belong in a game and certain things that dont, if you will call me grey. Im not in favor of complete historical accuracy nor of a gamey thing.

if you were aware of my opinions regarding the political and economical system you actually would notice that I prefer a harder campaign than whats been delivered. doesnt mean that I will become hysterical every time someone says something about the game

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    A truly ridiculous thread. This is what happens when you exhaust all the criticisms for this game. Face it, Rome 2 is getting better, and you're running out of slanderous contempt.
    The word you're looking for is libel and its only libel if its a lie. Rome 2 deserves a lot of the flak its getting.

The way I saw how CA decided which city got a port was if the city actually had a port built into it.

Judging by Sparta's location, this is just physically impossible. It's clearly in-land. If it had a port that was technically "attached" but not physically part of the city, it doesn't count. Only cities that were specifically build to be on the coast, get a port. Just how it works.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GenTiberius View Post
    I don't remember reading anything reading anything about the Spartan state trading significantly less than other city states. I agree regarding Sparta being a minor settlement, but I would like to note that some rather famous settlements now don't have walls because they are minor. That is a sure drawback of the system.
    Well, Sparta didn't have walls. Also Parthia starts with a minor settlement and worse army than Sparta. It's not the end of the world, Sparta is fully playable
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

so now we're yelling because we want something unreallistic "because its sparta" ??? sparta was the opposite of athens, sparta was land power not sea power or trading power.... sparta also wasnt not a big city itself.... just to not mention that "spartans" were the minory inside their own land....... yet they ruled..... hmmmm lacking arguements to argue over this game? seriously its impossible to take or find anything logical or useful on Rome 2 general discussion ........
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

[N2]Kami's Avatar Semisalis

They should just change the "have to connect to the capital" condition and the problem is particularly solved.
    But again, the trading thing in Rome 2 is bad in itself. In previous game trade is so much easier. Something like this "You don't hate me right? Okay let's trade." But now it take into account so many thing that I don't understand myself to land a trade agreement.

And the Athens general unit, why bother with infantry when you have a horse. I just use foot general when I have to defend 1 particular "choke point" in a settlement where horse can't do much.

look, sparta is not a major power at this time. theyve been left crippled and dying for a long time. the only thing they kept them alive was their reputation

Shocked's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dustindesrctin View Post
    Yes.

To those people saying just take over Athens.... maybe we don't want destroy Athens just for the ability to trade? Maybe Sparta should have a port like it does historically so we can stay on good terms with Athens.
    Take over Appollonia then
    Computer specifications -
    GPU: GTX 780
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k overclocked @ 4 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 4

Quote Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
    Take over Appollonia then
    Wrong province. To make trade agreements via sea route (read: with factions not bordering you), you need a port that meets the following two criteria (BOTH of them!):

a) must be in the same province like your faction capital (this rules out Appollonia, which is in Macedon province, not in Hellas province)
    and
    b) must be connected to your capital by a road, i.e. land connection (this rules out Knossos/Crete, which is in the right province Hellas, but has NO land connection to Sparta)

If you now check the map, you´ll find that there is indeed only one single port that meets both of the two above criteria: Athens!
    Now this means, either you have to take Athens if you want to trade with ANY faction, or the only possible trading partner for the whole game is... Athens.
    (you can also move your capital, but that´s not so easy)

Not that trade is actually that vital in Rome 2. If this was Shogun 2, it would make Sparta basically unplayable but it's not. I've made barely any actual coin off trade in Rome 2... you make a lot more on actual taxation and slaves. And what can Sparta have? A LOOOOOOOT of slaves.

Sparta was a militairy state, they didn't have that much culture going on as Athens, also they had as good as no navy until the Persians funded the raise of a fleet, so I can actually understand the choices. Barracks and farms is all Sparta needs

pointwolf's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    Not that trade is actually that vital in Rome 2. If this was Shogun 2, it would make Sparta basically unplayable but it's not. I've made barely any actual coin off trade in Rome 2... you make a lot more on actual taxation and slaves. And what can Sparta have? A LOOOOOOOT of slaves.
    Actually, i've taken Athens with Sparta, and currently have 9000 income from trade.

Quote Originally Posted by pointwolf View Post
    Actually, i've taken Athens with Sparta, and currently have 9000 income from trade.
    I'm not saying trade doesn't make money, but trade is not the backbone of your economy like Shogun 2. In a Rome campaign, I was making around 18,000 a turn. Maybe 2000 or 3000 of that was from trade. Contrast to Shogun 2, where your income can turn from like 50,000 a turn to 10,000 something as soon as RD hits and everyone stops trading...

If you don't want to take out Athens, you could just move your capital, which requires letting it get taken by rebels.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast