Thread: How strong is the historicity of this docudrama about the Battle of Actium?

Default How strong is the historicity of this docudrama about the Battle of Actium?

http://youtu.be/_2VJAbFSKAk

I find this very cool and to what I have read, I also find its historicity strong. Check it out and kindly share what you think?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: How strong is the historicity of this docudrama about the Battle of Actium?

Let me watch it first, then we will see.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Default Re: How strong is the historicity of this docudrama about the Battle of Actium?

http://youtu.be/oiJLuy0opeM

I found here a full version of this docudrama. It's called the destiny of Rome.

Ah.. The part where Caesar is shown to be murdered at the Senate house is wrong and also where Cleopatra is still pregnant.
    Last edited by Octavius Vatco; October 05, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Patrician

So I saw it, very good. Although the description of the Parthian war is pretty poor and erroneous, so are the details of the Sicilian War. It also makes it sound like all Antony did was hang out in Egypt in party when really there were lots of politics to that. What Antony was basically trying to do by then was consolidate the Eastern Empire (hence why the Donations of Alexandria were actually a really good idea) and wait for an opportunity to go back into Parthia and wipe that empire off of the map, of course it would be next to impossible with Octavian's political maneuvering.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

I remember watching it on tv (arte). Indeed Marcus Antonius in Egypt showed too many stereotypes and the Sicilian War was described poorly, but most of the rest was okay. Keeping in mind that a documentary of such a style wants to entertain as well and that it stands out by the Latin dialogue, then it is pretty good indeed. There's another one in Ancient Greek about the Persian Wars which is quite decent as well (the story is told from the POV of Themistokles).
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Patrician

Really can I see it? This Actium was actually pretty good, so I am wondering if the Greek one will be good too.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Really can I see it? This Actium was actually pretty good, so I am wondering if the Greek one will be good too.
    I just searched after it a bit. I can't find it on youtube and only a video on the German arte site came up (albeit not the whole documentary). But I found the original name, it's a French docu called Au Nom d’Athènes from 2012 and has two parts. I hope you'll be able to find it
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

There is a trailer in dailymotion :
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxa...nes_shortfilms

Pretty neat ancient Greek here
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões