Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Unfortunately, I did not get it to work on the Persian tunics, at least not the ones in the Parthian army which I checked. It worked on your comp? Don't know what's wrong with mine.
    Hmm... I pulled that variant def from extracted files I had laying around from patch5 or so. Perhaps they changed the references. I wasn't able to test it myself, but after I get the game re-installed over the next few days, I should have a better idea what's going on. It was just a guess (with confidence)... sorry about that

edit: that was a mod type pack, if that makes any difference
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; November 28, 2013 at 05:33 AM.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Hmm... I pulled that variant def from extracted files I had laying around from patch5 or so. Perhaps they changed the references. I wasn't able to test it myself, but after I get the game re-installed over the next few days, I should have a better idea what's going on. It was just a guess (with confidence)... sorry about that

edit: that was a mod type pack, if that makes any difference
    I dropped it in the data folder, and enabled it in the mod manager, but saw no difference on the Elite Persian Archers or Persian Light Archers for the Parthians in game. Still a sea of orange and grey, respectively.

But maybe we should take it a bit cool until we see what CA are up to with their next patch, like you said yourself. If they fix this thing then, any modding work to do so up to that day will have temporary value only, and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble under the circumstances. It would be all the more important if the game is settled to function like this from now on.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

I dropped it in the data folder, and enabled it in the mod manager, but saw no difference on the Elite Persian Archers or Persian Light Archers for the Parthians in game. Still a sea of orange and grey, respectively.

But maybe we should take it a bit cool until we see what CA are up to with their next patch, like you said yourself. If they fix this thing then, any modding work to do so up to that day will have temporary value only, and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble under the circumstances. It would be all the more important if the game is settled to function like this from now on.
    Whoops, looks like I butchered the directory tree in the pack. It should have been \variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics\persian_tunics.variantmeshdefinition . Somehow I only packed up \tunics

Anyway, I have the game installed again and have confirmed that this quick approach does work (fixed file attached). However, although all colors and model parts show, doing it this way still yields less diversity with only 5 variants per unit. Moreover, if CA's intention is to save memory by loading fewer models/textures, then this approach undoes that (it utilizes all model variants) while also not producing the full spectrum of variety we had before. So if we're going to circumvent their optimization, the long road is probably best.

But I agree, it's best not to do too much work for now and wait for the coming patches to see whether they intend to compensate in some way for the lack off variety they've introduced in patch7. I just wanted to plan ahead in case they've decided that look is acceptable for their purposes.

Nonetheless, I'm going to see if I can't somewhat automate the process of splitting up parts definitions and expanding the references so the job of editing the entire collection of vanilla definitions is less painful (if it becomes necessary).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rome2.exe_DX11_20131129_070003.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Whoops, looks like I butchered the directory tree in the pack. It should have been \variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\tunics\persian_tunics.variantmeshdefinition . Somehow I only packed up \tunics

Anyway, I have the game installed again and have confirmed that this quick approach does work (fixed file attached). However, although all colors and model parts show, doing it this way still yields less diversity with only 5 variants per unit. Moreover, if CA's intention is to save memory by loading fewer models/textures, then this approach undoes that (it utilizes all model variants) while also not producing the full spectrum of variety we had before. So if we're going to circumvent their optimization, the long road is probably best.

But I agree, it's best not to do too much work for now and wait for the coming patches to see whether they intend to compensate in some way for the lack off variety they've introduced in patch7. I just wanted to plan ahead in case they've decided that look is acceptable for their purposes.

Nonetheless, I'm going to see if I can't somewhat automate the process of splitting up parts definitions and expanding the references so the job of editing the entire collection of vanilla definitions is less painful (if it becomes necessary).
    I'll be damned - you did it! I've got full colour diversity back on the Persian archers through that tweak of yours! Thanks a lot for that one, KP.

Is it possible to get the tertiary colour for the Roman Praetorian Cavalry working this way, too? Right now, they're the most impoverished unit colour-wise in the whole game for me. A tertiary would kick in that blue shield I put there for contrast and added interest. How are they're looking in your game, colour-application-wise? Should there be a second colour available for them?

Only have a look into this if you have plenty of time and nothing particular to do on a rainy day or something. I won't be sorry if you don't. I know how life can be...
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 30, 2013 at 06:32 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

I'll be damned - you did it! I've got full colour diversity back on the Persian archers through that tweak of yours! Thanks a lot for that one, KP.

Is it possible to get the tertiary colour for the Roman Praetorian Cavalry working this way, too? Right now, they're the most impoverished unit colour-wise in the whole game for me. A tertiary would kick in that blue shield I put there for contrast and added interest. How are they're looking in your game, colour-application-wise? Should there be a second colour available for them?

Only have a look into this if you have plenty of time and nothing particular to do on a rainy day or something. I won't be sorry if you don't. I know how life can be...
    Praetorian Cavalry are actually pretty uniform by default. In general, the (vanilla) Roman units won't be affected as much by the patch7 changes because they don't reference the deeper parts definitions used by Persians, Arabs, Celts etc who tend to wear a lot of cloth with multiple tunic models and associated color variants. The Romans get most of their variety through different models for shields and helmets, which aren't problematic unless you're already modding those anyway.

I see this for Praetorian Cavalry...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

By the part definition, there are 4 shield models referenced, but the color masks only use 1 channel to vary the background. The decal pattern is a separate reference.

You could just insert a couple of mask switches on some of the existing shield model references. The only difference between the 4 models is in the boss/umbro (centerpiece...I just learned those terms ). Of course then you're outside the bounds of a pure color mod and run into conflicts where people use separate unit variation mods.

Here I added the switches mask0="1" and mask0="2" to get the secondary and tertiary colors on two of the models...

To use just the tertiary color as a variant, either change the switch mask0="1" to mask0="2" or simply delete that switch entirely. In the former case, you'd get color variation on 50% of the shields. In the latter, only 25% (2 of 4 entries vs 1 of 4 entries).

If you were really OC about having the color vary per unique shield model, you could create multiple shield definitions and and expand the references in the shield slot in the unit definition. For this one, it wouldn't be all that noticeable unless the shield models had a more obvious difference than just the boss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rome2.exe_DX11_20131130_154836.jpg   Rome2.exe_DX11_20131130_174438.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Kurisu Paifuaa - It worked again! Saw two more colours than usual for the shields of the Praetorian Cavalry. Enabling me to judge the quality of those colours. Thanks a lot for your trouble, mate. I'd rep you again but need to spread some around first...

BTW, are you sure you have full colour diversity after patch 7? If you haven't, then I still don't know if another colour will be seen on the shields without a mod of that sort, and if another colour will be seen, from what position it is applied.

This illustrates the problem with continuing with the project under the circumstances. Not seeing full colour diversity anymore, I may think that a given newly created special unit does not gets it secondary colour applied, for example, and therefore leave it at zero (0) value. But if I'm mistaken, a player having full colour diversity will then see total black in certain parts of the unit...

All themes with rather strong primary colours in ACR2 also tend to become overpowering after patch 7, because the secondary and tertiary colours that I put in there to balance the primary up no longer get applied in the same way (reducing the instances or areas of the primary colour). In short, the patch produces a different experience of the mod. Too often a downgrade, which is a sink on my motivation to keep working.

Anyhow, the Praetorian Cavalry is the last unit I need to work a little more on. Otherwise all playable factions are ready to roll in ACR2.

Except Baktria. I can give them either a miss in LE or some values totally blind as to the result in game...

Edit: I'll incude them. Found a way to see their new theme in game.
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 02, 2013 at 09:58 AM.

Default Re: [Released] Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition is now available! Check it out.

It's done.

Check the OP, folks.
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 03, 2013 at 05:56 AM.

sedo's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition is now available! Check it out.

This looks really really nice...

And it's released

I'm considering opening a thread for a project to fix all of the problematic vanilla definitions so that they adhere to the restrictions imposed by patch7, but still yield full diversity as far as alternate model parts and color variations. I think it would be useful for everyone doing unit packs, color or variety modding to have a reliable base pack to work from. I do think I'll wait to see the next beta patch before I commit to any substantial work though. If they don't address the problem, or only implement a partial solution like I have done in the two examples I uploaded, then I think I'll carry through and do a full overhaul... examining and rearranging the affected unit and parts definitions from the bottom up.

For your project, do you look at the diffuse texture alongside the color mask when working on color schemes? I would definitely recommend it (especially now) as you can easily see at a glance which parts of a model should be treated and by which color (red=primary=mask0, green=secondary=mask1, blue=tertiary=mask2). Then the mask switches in the definition will override the default color placement for individual variants. If you don't see what you expect, the problem almost certainly lies in the definition files not being suited to the new restrictions (whether that's intentional, an oversight or a bug remains to be seen). In all cases I've experimented with thus far, it's fixable. And the game is definitely still rendering colors on all 3 rgb channels, so no worries there.

Sometimes the color masks use fewer channels than you might think...

Persian tunic#2 (2 colors)

Eastern basic tunic#2 (3 colors) Notice some of the detail comes strictly from the color mask itself

Iberian tunic#4 (3 colors and what looks like a blend. Also, there are gradients present in the red channel)

The last example are really nice tunics that will never appear under current circumstances, so I thought I'd use Iberian as a test case for a complete fix. Splitting up the tunic definition was simple enough, but finding all references to that definition (i.e. every unit that wears it or the other variants) takes a bit more time. Best approach is probably to index the variantmesh folder for fast searching. In any case, the solution works perfectly.

Here are Iberian Mercenary Swordsmen, before and after... a really good example of how gimped the variant system has become

EDIT: Hey look, you released . Checking it out now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rome2.exe_DX11_20131202_082419.jpg   rome2.exe_DX11_20131202_110246.jpg   iberian_tunic_dif_color.jpg   eastern_tunic_dif_color.jpg   persian_tunic_dif_color.jpg  

Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; December 02, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition is now available! Check it out.

Hmmmm.... Blue romans nice. I will gonna try this and maybe in case I need moddified this mod to my use, because I have plenty of mine and other modders stuffs but mostly this look great! My big wishes to your work.

Quote Originally Posted by sedo View Post
    This looks really really nice...

And it's released
    Just keep in mind that chances are that you won't able to enjoy ACR2 fully as designed and advertised due to that unit diversity problem introduced with patch 7. If you're prepared for that handicap, maybe ACR2 can serve you good enough anyway.

I'm considering opening a thread for a project to fix all of the problematic vanilla definitions so that they adhere to the restrictions imposed by patch7, but still yield full diversity as far as alternate model parts and color variations. I think it would be useful for everyone doing unit packs, color or variety modding to have a reliable base pack to work from. I do think I'll wait to see the next beta patch before I commit to any substantial work though. If they don't address the problem, or only implement a partial solution like I have done in the two examples I uploaded, then I think I'll carry through and do a full overhaul... examining and rearranging the affected unit and parts definitions from the bottom up.

For your project, do you look at the diffuse texture alongside the color mask when working on color schemes? I would definitely recommend it (especially now) as you can easily see at a glance which parts of a model should be treated and by which color (red=primary=mask0, green=secondary=mask1, blue=tertiary=mask2). Then the mask switches in the definition will override the default color placement for individual variants. If you don't see what you expect, the problem almost certainly lies in the definition files not being suited to the new restrictions (whether that's intentional, an oversight or a bug remains to be seen). In all cases I've experimented with thus far, it's fixable. And the game is definitely still rendering colors on all 3 rgb channels, so no worries there.

Sometimes the color masks use fewer channels than you might think...

Persian tunic#2 (2 colors)

Eastern basic tunic#2 (3 colors) Notice some of the detail comes strictly from the color mask itself

Iberian tunic#4 (3 colors and what looks like a blend. Also, there are gradients present in the red channel)

The last example are really nice tunics that will never appear under current circumstances, so I thought I'd use Iberian as a test case for a complete fix. Splitting up the tunic definition was simple enough, but finding all references to that definition (i.e. every unit that wears it or the other variants) takes a bit more time. Best approach is probably to index the variantmesh folder for fast searching. In any case, the solution works perfectly.

Here are Iberian Mercenary Swordsmen, before and after... a really good example of how gimped the variant system has become

EDIT: Hey look, you released . Checking it out now.
    If you took care of that unit diversity problem, Kurisu, I'd give you a whole rep star on my own, if I could. Not only the future of ACR2 is a stake, but also the full enjoyment of the game for lots of people.

But we'll have to see where CA are heading with this thing first. It may not be necessary to take on such a big project in the end. But if they wait long enough to fix it, your help in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

I never look at the textures for my work. Never needed to. Technically, my modding consists of simple DB editing alone. But the real work for a mod of this sort is made before that part, in the conceiving, creation and testing good colour combinations that should be taken to the implementation stage via PFM. Used to do hex coding for this, but PFM is simple enough.

Even if the diffuse textures and colour masks can tell me which colour position (primary, secondary and/or tertiary) I should edit, I wouldn't be able to see if the result is good enough or not in game with those uncalled-for restrictions on unit diversity.

Yes, I finally released something. But with only one or two thirds of the content on display it's a crippled show nowadays.

You know, if the game had looked like this from the start, I'm sure I'd pick different colours for primary and secondary in many cases. I have often a light colour for tertiary balancing up two darker colours for primary and secondary, for example, and with patch 7 removing at least the tertiary from the main part of the uniform, many units come out too dark or uninteresting for my taste. Less colour diversity from the very beginning would often have pushed me into other solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Hmmmm.... Blue romans nice. I will gonna try this and maybe in case I need moddified this mod to my use, because I have plenty of mine and other modders stuffs but mostly this look great! My big wishes to your work.
    Thanks, Noif.

There's only one legionary unit in blue for the Romans. But you can have a whole legion of them, a real unique legion, if you wish. Could be pretty cool.
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 05, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

sedo's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition now available! If you like the game to appear more realistic, check this mod out.

Looks great ingame, barbarians look so much better now nice work

I look forward to see the full version

Only problem I have are white cloak's with the custom legatus and centurion mod and changing load order does not solve the problem it seems

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition now available! If you like the game to appear more realistic, check this mod out.

Quote Originally Posted by sedo View Post
    Looks great ingame, barbarians look so much better now nice work

I look forward to see the full version

Only problem I have are white cloak's with the custom legatus and centurion mod and changing load order does not solve the problem it seems
    I appreciate your feedback, sedo.

Regarding the barbarians, you may want to edit the Cherusci to the darker and improved version I now have on display in post #2. They'd look a more serious deal in the Teutoburg Forest then.

So you have a mod for the legatus and centurions that gives them cloaks? My mod gives the legatus a white tunic as primary option and it's possible that other mod uses that colour for its cloaks. So you should try to edit the colours of the legatus entry in my mod to something more suitable for cloaks as well. Or just delete that entry in my mod to bring my factional theme for the Romans bearing on the legatus again, which should be better for the cloaks (but not for the tunics, IMO).

sedo's Avatar Foederatus

I appreciate your feedback, sedo.

Regarding the barbarians, you may want to edit the Cherusci to the darker and improved version I now have on display in post #2. They'd look a more serious deal in the Teutoburg Forest then.

So you have a mod for the legatus and centurions that gives them cloaks? My mod gives the legatus a white tunic as primary option and it's possible that other mod uses that colour for its cloaks. So you should try to edit the colours of the legatus entry in my mod to something more suitable for cloaks as well. Or just delete that entry in my mod to bring my factional theme for the Romans bearing on the legatus again, which should be better for the cloaks (but not for the tunics, IMO).

Thanks ,I'll try the new version right away

I may have called a cape a cloak as they're the same in vanilla r2 I'm not sure in English

Thanks for the advice though I'll try that, white tunics look better indeed so its a dilemma

Laetus

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2 - Light Edition now available!

Congrats on the release, I can finally play a full campaign for Rome! It looks like your help will be needed for the new factions seen in the upcoming DLC pack, Caesar in Gaul. They are Nervii, Boii, and Galatia. Links to photos of each of their uniforms can be seen here: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions . Just horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionOfShame View Post
    Congrats on the release, I can finally play a full campaign for Rome! It looks like your help will be needed for the new factions seen in the upcoming DLC pack, Caesar in Gaul. They are Nervii, Boii, and Galatia. Links to photos of each of their uniforms can be seen here: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions . Just horrendous.
    Glad to hear Rome has become more interesting for you.

Need to tweak their main theme and the Principes a little, though.

I'm considering doing an update for Christmas. Including, for example...

Boii Celtic Warriors...

Etruscan Noble Cavalry...
    Aorsoi steppe horse archers...
    A little variety for the Persians...

I adore your work and have followed this thread for a while and I really, really hope that you dont get discouraged by the lack of exposure/response here! I think its beacuse most people are busy whimping... Keep it up!

One thing i noticed is that when i re-downloaded (i always do clean slate when the game gets patched) it for Ceasar in Gaul is that the Roman generals are now clad in green and so is their shields. Is it supposed to be like that?

one itty-bitty thing also, The Aux. Syrian Archers are really kickass in their new colours! But the officer and standradbearer are still "Roman Redish"? My personal preference is that maybe they could be the same in all the unit?

One more... The aux. cavalry, aren't they supposed to be green? Mine are white (shields and tunics). One or two green shields.

Your work on Shogun is soooo sweet that i was considering uninstalling when you said that this mod woudnt get updated! Hopefully you can solve the troubles with the patch-thingy and keep making the most quality-ozing mod for TW!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia View Post
    I adore your work and have followed this thread for a while and I really, really hope that you dont get discouraged by the lack of exposure/response here! I think its beacuse most people are busy whimping... Keep it up!

One thing i noticed is that when i re-downloaded (i always do clean slate when the game gets patched) it for Ceasar in Gaul is that the Roman generals are now clad in green and so is their shields. Is it supposed to be like that?

one itty-bitty thing also, The Aux. Syrian Archers are really kickass in their new colours! But the officer and standradbearer are still "Roman Redish"? My personal preference is that maybe they could be the same in all the unit?

One more... The aux. cavalry, aren't they supposed to be green? Mine are white (shields and tunics). One or two green shields.

Your work on Shogun is soooo sweet that i was considering uninstalling when you said that this mod woudnt get updated! Hopefully you can solve the troubles with the patch-thingy and keep making the most quality-ozing mod for TW! Cheers!
    I really appreciate your feedback, Banksia. It's true I've considered pulling the plug on the whole thing here, as very few people seem to have need for a mod of this sort in the style of ACR2. Keeping my work private would save me a lot of time. But with responses like yours, I'm staying my public hand a little longer.

Roman generals should not be green from my mod. Are you sure you don't have another mod of this sort installed or something?

Regarding the Auxiliary Syrian Archers, I planned to add a lot more features to the Roman side in future versions, including officers more adapted to their units. But with the Light Edition, only the basics were presented. It's quite easy to add officers in colours like the soldiers yourself. All you have to do is to copy the row for the unit in the unit_variants_colours table but change the designation in the soldier_type column to "officer" for it.

The Auxiliary Cavalry, however, only gets one colour for tunics and two for shields, as far as I know, and, based on my sources, they're made white and white/green, respectively (whatever colour you have on the tunics will also applied on the shields, and there's one extra colour that gets applied only on the shields). But the number of green shields should be considerably more than a couple, around a third, I think. Maybe that unit variety restriction is affecting your game as well.

Rome 2 needs a complete overhaul in colours, if you ask me. It's not fun to have a realistic-looking faction fighting an unrealistic-looking faction. So if I get the time, I guess I will be doing them all, eventually. Whether I find it worth the trouble to offer it to the community is another question, though. We'll see about that. But you may get at least one update containing improvements, some new special units, and 40-50 factions before this year is over.

Thanks again for your feedback, mate.
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 17, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

That sounds great! Yes, all you said was correct. The auxiliary cavalry was having about one third green shields.

Hmm, My green generals only appear in the new Caesar DLC campaign, NOT in the grand campaign. Even the Greek Massalia is having a green-dressed general... Do you have the dlc, yet? Perhaps something fishy there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TprBGOWXmd8 I dont know if he is using your mod but thats the way caesar (and other generals as well) look. It's not supposed to be like that, right?