Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Ancient Greek depiction of hoplites fighting

Mod formerly known as Alternative Colours For Rome 2 or ACR2 has been transformed into

This mod is for those who seek a more realistic impression
    of the armies and units in Rome 2, as far as possible based on historical sources

Two versions are available for download: Totus and ACLA

The first gives colour variety to the armies of select factions, and the second compatibility with Legionaries Armies Mod (LAM). The effect of the former is, among other things, elite units standing out more from ordinary units, generals being more recognizable as such, mercenary units looking more independent, and the Spartan army being divided more strictly according to social class. See details of the differences inside the spoilers below.

Totus
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This mod works in one way or other for all parts of the game, including Empire Divided and Rise of the Republic

It provides new uniform themes for all sides within that scope, including civil war factions, secession parties and rebels

For select factions in the Prologue, Grand Campaign, Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal at the Gates theatres, some diversity in the appearance of the army has been produced

The army diversity
    has been created with a variety of uniforms for a group of units belonging to a given faction as specified below

Full roster variety* is found among:
    all playable factions
    Etruscan League
    Samnites

For
    Rome this means that the Republican army look more "republican" (i.e. "less uniform" etc)
    For Sparta that Helots appear more like the slaves they are, Perioikoi more like the free men they are, and Spartiates stand out more like true Spartans

Partial roster variety** is brought to:
    all
    African factions in GC
    all
    Arabian factions in GC
    Cyrenaica
    Knossos
    Nova Carthago

Little roster variety*** is seen among:
    Cappadocia
    Catiaroi
    Media
    Persia
    Sardes

Special uniforms that look apart from whichever faction that recruits them (thanks to an idea from
    DramaBelli)
    :
    all (95)
    mercenary units
    all (73)
    auxiliary units

In the Casear in Gaul scenario, the game allows the Roman side to recruit local troops not classified as auxiliaries, but these have now been made to appear very much like auxiliaries

In the Imperator Augustus scenario, there is no factional-based variety, but it has access to all recoloured mercenary and auxiliary units plus praetorians

*"Full roster variety" means that even the siege units and generals are covered; units clad in the normal factional theme are intended to look that way
    **"Partial roster variety" means basically the same as full roster variety without siege units and generals being covered
    ***"Little roster variety" usually means that 1-6 units have special uniforms; if only one unit is made to look apart, it's usually a general's unit (not including the officer)

ACLA

ACLA = ACR for LAM

In other words, this is Totus geared for Little Legionaire's great Legionaries Armies Mod

Meaning that you get Totus without any special units, because LAM takes care of that department

The LAM to go with ACLA is available here

Thank Little Legionaire for the idea of this combo version

Note about download:

DOWNLOAD PROVISO Download option removed pending TWC's decision about mods and permissions

These mods are normally for private use only.
    Private use means that you can use them in your home, but not upload them somewhere, because it's my right to decide when and where my work is available to the public.
    Under certain conditions, spelled out in the spoiler below, these mods can be used publicly by others.

It's not easy to spell out sensible conditions in the vein sought-after here. If anyone finds a formulation problematic, please let me know and I will try to find a remedy.

As things stand now, the conditions that must be met before anyone is granted to use these mods publicly somewhere else are the following:

1) A clear request must be sent to me about permission to use my work publicly somewhere else;
    2) The requestee must have a record of being a good member of the community, the definition of which is spelled out in the spoiler below:
    A good member of the community is one that...

A) treats others with respect, so that they have no objection to visiting the place (or participating in the activity) again, ceteris paribus;
    B) responds to calls for modding advice or other kinds of support for a good cause when in position to help;
    C) gives full credit when credit is due without having to be reminded of it;
    D) gives permission
    to other good members of the community for using his or her work (that may include mods from other creators) publicly;
    E) etc.
    , in same spirit.

Note about qualification A: Some behaviour on the site can definitely put people off from visiting the place or make them fearful of expressing their opinions or thoughts in the forums again. Members prone to such behaviour are community-killers and should face consequences that make them think twice before behaving like that again. For A to be considered fulfilled, the requestee will be tracked for potentially repellant behaviour or clear cases of disrespectful behaviour (according to my judgement).

Note about qualification B: It will be difficult to judge whether or not B is fullfilled at times. Publishing a tutorial might count as sufficient proof of willingness to help while answering calls for the most minor modding help might require half a dozen cases to count in the qualification for a good member of the community. A member of knowledge could be willing to help in one case but see someone else beating him/her to it, which makes it unnecessary to respond in the matter again and leaves him/her without proof of willingness to help. Any point made in support of others for a good cause will count forever, however.

Note about qualifications A-E:
    For any permission, all of the qualifications A-E must be fulfilled. Once permission has been granted, some leeway is given to changes before they count as the cessation of the qualifications being fulfilled. I will give a definition of what will be regarded as a cessation later.

3) The mods will not be used in a way largely at the expense of the community, like...
    A) behind a paywall;
    B) in a video advocating for something bad in some other area of concern (exemplied by Trump's use of songs to boost his campaigns against the wishes of the songwriters);
    C) etc., in same spirit.

Note:
    A permission denied will hold until further notice (to the contrary).
    If the situation changes so that the conditions have been met for a period of at least 6 months, a new request can be made, and this time permission will be granted.
    A permission granted will hold as long as the conditions are met.
    If the conditions no longer are met, and calls to the requestee to once again adhere to the terms have been fruitless for one month, then the permission will be withdrawn, and the requestee will be asked to remove these mods from his/her compilation.
    Failure to do so will result in me asking the site managers to ban the requestee from this site.
    If a requestee has been asked to remove these mods from his/her compilation twice in this manner, permission will not be granted a third time.

If my work is available here, in its original thread at TWC, and I do not answer a request for permission to use it publicly somewhere else within a year:
    then I authorize senior site managers of TWC or a special TWC mod permission committee to make a decision on the premises outlined in this spoiler whether or not to grant that request.
    If neither I nor said senior site managers or special committee are available for answering requests, then my work is simply off limits for public use elsewhere.

Download links (currently disactivated):

Totus

ACLA

Updates I'll be posting development notes about this project here.

6 August 2020 - Download option removed pending TWC's decision about mods and permissions. The decision might deny modders the right to decide how their work are to be used publicly by others. As a matter of principle, I cannot accept such a policy. or support a site with such a policy, and my more important work would then not be available at TWC.
    7 September 2018 - Rise of the Republic presented in new colours, like all other campaigns in the game! Posts #1-3 are now short in info about the last couple of DLCs released by CA that ACR has grown to cover. But you guys probably know what to expect from this mod by now. Bare-bones info about the latest update is given in post #662 of this thread.
    12 August 2018 - Error in content for other campaigns than ED discovered. Corrected version uploaded. Sorry for any inconvenience created.
    2 August 2018 - Totus enlarged to encompass Empire Divided! Also added themes for new factions in other campaigns. More info provided in post #643 of this thread.
    20 December 2017 - Totus has arrived! Thanks to an unexpected turn of events in RL, a window for the 9th edition of the mod and completion of a long-standing goal opened up. Totus finally brings full diversity for the armies of all playable factions in the game. This includes the scenarios of Ceasar in Gaul, Hannibal at the Gates and Prologue. For a similar effect in Wrath of Sparta, you'll have to use the great Hellenika mod and my submod ACRAH for it (see the hosted thread for more info about that). Currently, there are no plans to include Imperator Augustus in like manner, but modding spirit is building up for Empire Divided. See details about the 330h update below, in post #3 and the Totus release announcement post on page 30 of this thread.
    5 March 2016 - ACR updated to Africanum (somewhat unexpectedly), giving all factions on the African continent and the Arabian peninsula in the Grand Campaign at least partial colour variety, likewise for the Boii and Etruscan League. Changes also made to the factional themes of the Aedui, Blemmyes, Cyrenaica, Etruscan League, Libya, Mascat, Saba and Carthage. Specifically, the 276g edition of the mod brings colours better tuned to the last shading patch from CA for factions occupying the southern part of the GC map, as some of the old hues had turned a little bit on the strong side.
    8 April 2015 - ACR enlarged to Varietas+, passing the thousand recoloured uniforms barrier. Update concentrated to cover all mercs and auxs in the game. The only type of unit that remains beyond the scope of special treatment in the mod is client levies; these will merely assume whatever colours the faction recuiting them is carrying. With this 7th (276f) edition of ACR, the project will take a rest. Whether indefinitely or not, I cannot say at this point. Whatever the case may be, in the meantime, do enjoy the show of Rome 2 in the new visual standard of ACR!
    10 January 2015 - Next update will most likely be a small one, adding only the remaining mercenaries and auxiliaries to the recoloured batch. I will call such an update Varietas+. Don't know the delivery date for it, though. Currently just playing and enjoying the game for the first time since its release.
    22 December 2014 - ACR Varietas (Latin for "variety") is released as a Christmas gift to the TW world (thank SODK for the idea). This 276e edition of the mod is a big expansion from Omnes Factiones, almost quadrupling the number of recoloured uniforms in the game. It's another step to increase the sense of realism by mimicking the visual diversity of the armies at the time. For select factions, this will dramatically change the overall impression of the army. See above and below for the details of the changes. A new section called "Optionals" will be added to post #3 for alternate uniform themes for certain units. Bear with me until I have updated all info in the first three posts. Centum Edition, Omnes Factiones and old ACLA removed from the download list (after 1954, 404 and 403 downloads, respectively) to make room for the upgrades. NOTE: due to unexpected difficulties in uploading the new files, they will have to wait until later tonight, as I must rush off for dinner with my family now; sorry about that. Edit one hour past midnight: had to abandon TWC's own upload function for attachments and use MediaFire's services instead; but now the new ACR is finally online.
    22 November 2014 - Changed update plan: instead of a big Totus Edition some time (in spring or summer) next year, the next (6th) version of ACR will be a slimmer version called Varietas. This one will be released in time for Christmas. Check the spoiler above for info about its contents. Totus is hereby destined to become the 7th version of this mod.
    15 November 2014 - Parenthesis note: Ended a trial month for ACR on Steam. Never felt at home there.
    12 October 2014
    - To make this thread good on its advertisement and worth visiting again, the 5th edition of the mod, 248d, is released. Called Omnes Factiones, it focuses on recolouring the various sides in all parts of the game. To mark its emphasis on historical authenticity, the mod name has been Latinized to Alii Colores Romae ("Different Colours For Rome"; see credits for the help I've received in this). For details about the contents of OF, see above and below, plus posts #2 and 3. As some people might prefer the deeper unit coverage in Centum Edition when playing the Grand Campaign, the old version will remain available for download until Totus arrives with both depth and breadth. Bear with me until I've updated all info in the thread accordingly.
    29 September 2014 - Returned to modding scene sooner than expected with a new update plan. The greater Totus version will be postponed in favor of an Omnes Factiones edition with a much reduced scope and faster delivery. Keep an eye on this thread for further info.
    1 September 2014 - Done with the variation work for a dozen major factions. Progress is far slower than expected. But the number of recoloured uniforms for the upcoming Totus edition is 500+ and counting. Time for a break from modding (and TWC). Should be back some time in October.
    9 June 2014 - All 211 factions of the game finished in new colours but not yet released, as it was decided that the variety work in special units should be completed first. Expect a couple of months more in dev time before the next version is out. Maybe in time for the anniversary of Rome 2.
    27 May 2014 - Updated OP to the new situation regarding playable factions, including the Pirates and Raiders DLC.
    9 May 2014
    - Patch 12 going live is confirmed to have solved the reduced unit variety issue. ACR2 is back on track for real! Primary goal with upcoming Totus edition: to remove all vanilla colours from the game, including the mini-campaigns. New previews added in posts #2 and 3, and on page 13 of the thread.
    15 April 2014
    - Unbelievably, just a few days after me abandoning this project, one of the conditions for me returning to it seems to have been met with CA's release of patch 12 beta! Playing around with that beta has returned the fun of modding. Using it to make a little headway in development.
    10 April 2014
    - For more info about the future of this project, check post #225 on page 12 below.
    28 March 2014
    - With CA's release of the HatG DLC, the Unit Cards Mod that comes with ACR2 Centum Edition no longer works. It will cause a CTD if you try to enable it in the mod manager. So you had better remove it from the data folder until a new version is released. The Uniforms Mod for CE still works, however, as allowed by the game engine if you enable "out-of-date" mods in the mod manager (but with the universal reduced unit variety issue still in effect).
    19 February 2014
    - CA's Epirus update brought back the reduced unit variety issue, although in less severe form. Lost patience and faith in the game, and my modding spirit. Postponing further dev until the project seems a good idea or fun again.
    28 January 2014 - ACR2 100c Centum (Latin for "a hundred") goes online. The project is finally beginning to shape up. If not counting civil war factions or rebels, only the eastern and central parts of the map now remain vanilla territory. Parthia, the Ptolemaics and the Seleucid Empire have been updated, and thirty new minor factions added. Also a bunch of old and new special units in place. Plus unit cards in matching colours for the major factions, thanks to a modding tip from Noif (thank you, my friend). See below in this post and in posts #2 and 3 for the details. The latter especially, if you want to know where to look for the special units. Enjoy.
    6 January 2014
    - ACR2 70b shared with the community. Situation has changed. This version is the product of a new plan inspired by the productivity and generosity of fellow modders, and in gratitude addressed primarily to them. First priority is now to cover all factions in the game, so that the realistic feel of no campaign needs to be upset by encountering vanilla colours. Only then will work on variety for all factions commence. In line with that idea, 15 new minor factions have been added to the mod, including all Arabic Kingdoms and Greek States. See post #2 for the details. Previous version removed from the download list (after more than on the average double the daily number of DLs compared to the first version). Now I'll need that break. See ya later!
    31 December 2013 - ACR2 updated to 55b in spirit of the New Year. It's essentially a LE+ incorporating changes to Cherusci, Massagetae, Persia, Ptolemaics, and Rome, more than double the number of factions, and about a 20% increase of special units. See relevant sections of the first three posts for the details. Old version removed from download section (after about 10 DLs a day). I'll monitor the thread during the first week after the new release in case some technical problem arises. After that, I'll turn to other games for a while. Not likely to turn back in a hurry unless the reduced unit variety issue is solved etc. Take care out there.
    19 December 2013 - Decided to offer one unplanned update to this mod for Christmas. Will be ready in a few days...Edit: Sorry, too much to do, busy time of year; could take another two weeks.
    7 December 2013 - Taking a break from TWC.
    6 December 2013 - Learned the other day that TWC has banned Osprey pics, that some of the pics I've used for sources in my previews are Osprey pics, and that there might be other copyrighted pics among those previews as well. The places I found them at did not inform anyone about their status in this respect. Didn't get any local help identifying those pics, either. Can't play detective with all pics of that sort which I stumble upon regarding where they originate from. So I've decided to get rid of them all. No more direct accounting for whether my work is historically accurate or not. The links that I have provided instead of pics now are seldom references to the spots where I first found my sources at, as I have difficult locating them again, but they'll have to do for reference.
    2 December 2013
    - ACR2 22a Light Edition is out. See above and further down this post plus posts #2 and 3 for details. I'll update these posts regarding its use of pics etc in the coming days. Don't forget to check them for optionals. Bigger changes will depend on what CA have in store for the game, graphics-wise.
    21 November 2013 - All ACR2 versions planned after upcoming Light Edition put on hold for reasons connected to CA's patch 7, as explained in post #111 on page 6 of this thread.
    31 October 2013 - New plan from changed RL situation: first released version will be a Light Edition where only three factions are fully covered for variety and interest, the rest of the playable factions recieving the basic treatment only. After a modding break, the LE will be followed by a Regular Edition where all major factions get the full treatment, along with some basic treatment for some minor factions. A future third version called Expanded Edition will include a remedy for all of the worst colour offenders among the non-playable factions, but still not likely covering all factions in the game. That's as fas ar I see this project going for Rome right now.
    22 October 2013 - Changed strategy: instead of setting the main theme for all playable factions before moving on to special units, I've decided to address the special units for the faction in question, too, before moving on to the next playable faction. The rosters of Athens, Epirus, and Sparta have now been completed in this way, resulting in about 50 "special units". See post #3 for details.
    30 September 2013 - Work in progress published at TWC with previews of three playable factions and one special unit.
    September 2013 - Work begun on ACR2.

Portraying the most famous Roman of all

- Gaius Julius Caesar

Declaration of intent

I first planned to recolour only the playable factions, some minor factions, and some special units in Rome 2. Did not think I'd take on the whole package this time, as the load of work needed to do so, with the effort behind ACC for Shogun2 fresh in my mind, was really daunting. But after having tested Rome 2 in campaign a bit, I realized I would not like to play this game properly, like in a full campaign, unless I recoloured the lot: it's just no fun having a faction that looks realistic going up against a faction looking unrealistic. So my goal has become to try to make all factions appear as authentic and realistic as possible. I'll need several attempts (i.e. editions) to accomplish that, each version tweaking the themes a little closer to the standard I want. Eventually, all factions will hopefully appear not only believable as armies of the time and place, but also pretty good and interesting to play.

Presentation of all playable factions will follow in this opening post as soon as they're ready for it. Minor factions will be covered in post #2 and special units in post #3.

Expect slow development, for a variety of reasons.

PS: Those who like this mod should know it's had its ups and downs. I very nearly gave up on it. Twice...

Short story of ACR:

First release.

Patch 7 from CA destroys much of the fun with it.

Patch 9 brings back the full merit of it.

The Epirus update from CA partially destroys it again.

Patch 12 resuscitates it!

Imperator Augustus DLC motivates the accelerated growth towards full faction coverage.

Christmas 2014 inspires the release of big army diversity.

Spring 2015 sees the final version of the mod
    ...?

No, March 2016 brings a small update, giving more interest to the factions in Africa and Arabia.

And then, in December 2017, time is finally ripe for Totus.

Mod versions

There could be many editions of ACR. So I'm using the same system of designating the different versions as for ACC. First edition of ACR (first known as ACR2) will be called 22a. The number in the version name will indicate how many factions have been recoloured, and the letter if anything in the previous edition has been updated. So if the next edition will contain two more factions, for example, but no other changes, it will be called 24a; if that edition also contains other changes from the previous edition, it will be called 24b instead; but if no new faction is included, it will called 22b. And so on.

Examples of historical colours (the particular ones shown above not necessarily used in ACR2)

Approach

Just like in the situation for Shogun 2 when I decided to start modding, other mods of this visual sort were already available for Rome 2, but none fully satisfactory to my taste. That's why you see me bringing an Alternative to the table. As usual, I'll seek to increase the realistic impression of and interest for the various factions and units in the game. Technically, however, I'll keep the mod simple, perhaps not even including banners this time, to facilitate choice, download and combination with other mods.

My strategy here will be the following. If I find a historical source for a faction to appear in certain way, I'll try to use that source for the uniform theme of the faction in question. If I cannot find info about how a particular faction appeared, but have general info about how people of the culture in question appeared (for example, no info about Veneti in particular, but about Celts in general), I'll try use that general info in a way that suits the particular faction. If I have no info whatsoever, I'll just try to make a more realistic version of CA's theme for that faction.

To increase the interest in a given playable army, I'll introduce a fourth, fifth or even sixth additional hue to the original "primary", "secondary", and "tertiary" colours for the units. More if there was a special unit in history known to stand out in some particular way. I'll do the same for certain minor factions. This will add to the sense of realism, too, as the armies of the time appeared with much variety in the ranks.

But modding Rome 2 to high standards in this area has proven more difficult than Shogun 2. In the latter game, the three colours that could be changed were assigned to a specific part of the uniform: armor, clothing or armor details. In Rome 2, all three editable colours can appear on all parts of the uniform or shield where the colour can be changed. As far as I can tell, the designation of "primary", "secondary", or "tertiary" colour only reflects the frequency by which the colour in question gets applied to a particular part of the uniform or shield. This creates max uniform variety with the smallest means possible, but also some artistic difficulty, as the colour does not come out in the same shade for uniform and shield. So one hue looking good on shield may not look good on uniform. Also, some colour seeming appropriate for tunic may not appear equally good for cloak etc. Add to that the many instances of strange lighting conditions in battlefield mode which drown all colours in some "orangy" or "greenish" haze, for example, depending on location etc. Decent colours can suddenly turn overly saturated and bad in such situations. I'm pretty convinced that there exist no colour solution that works in all settings of this game. All gamers using a mod of this sort should be aware of this limitation.

To facilitate management of this thread, I will limit the number of screens previewing each faction or unit to one. Likewise for source images. And I will, as a rule, only bother to preview one special unit per faction in this manner. The thread will grow large enough in time anyway.

Entrance to Babylonia

Presenting the new

In aphabetic order

ANTONY'S ROME
    Before:
    The best-looking Roman faction in vanilla game, IMO. Just needs to be tuned down a bit and have the secondary strong yellow colour (visible on some shields above) removed. So...

OF:
    Surprise discovered in game.

Read the note about single-themed army for the Romans below, however.

ARDIAEI
    Before:
    One of most natural-looking vanilla themes in the game, IMO.

Changed them into one still suggesting marine culture (as seen from a distance)...

CE:

AREVACI
    Before:
    As usual, vanilla appearance is very colourful.

After some research, I've treated this faction as a Celtiberian tribe. Result...

OF:
    First version shown here completely discarded, and second deemed too closely resembling another faction, so the above is the third attempt.

ARMENIA
    Before:
    ?

With the release of the latest version of the game (Empire Edition), this faction has become playable...

CE:

ARVERNI
    Before:
    CA actually portrayed these fellows pretty good. I still want them to look more serious...

All I have as sources specifically depicting Arverni warriors so far is an illustration made by the Europa Barbarorum Team for this faction. I used the green and reddish brown from that illustration as principal theme, and then added a colour shown on images of Gallic warriors in general. For the primary shade of green, however, I wanted something similar to the natural hue seen on the Gallic shield displayed here. I'm only going to give you a sneak peek of the result...

Edit 12 October 2013: Wasn't fully satisfied with the first green hue for this faction, so I tweaked it a little. Have therefore removed the old preview, which attracted 1052 "views", and put a new image up, this time displaying some simply dressed Celtic Youths from the front...

CE:

I think the "barbarian" factions are my favourites in this game.

ATHENAI
    Before:
    ?

Included in the Wrath of Sparta DLC.

VE:
    See Athens.

ATHENS
    Before:
    Found the blue in particular somewhat electric or neon-like in vanilla...

But difficult side to make justice to. Based my work primarily on the following source...

I thought it would be nice if the uniform theme of this famous city-state reflected its great maritime power somehow. The "marine green and blue" in the source therefore became two of the main colours for the Athenians. In a museum in Athens, however, a model of an Athenian hoplite is displayed wearing white clothing. I find this colour fitting the civil achievements of Athenai (as the inventor of "democracy", home of the great philosopher Socrates etc). So I made this their primary colour.

The difference between their appearance in CE and OF is not great. In the latter version, the blue colour in the Athenian theme has been adjusted a little to the new shading applied by recent patches, as demonstrated by the pikemen below...

OF:
    In VE and later editions, however, most units diverge from this appearance in one way or other.

BAKTRIA
    Before:
    Way too strong red and blue, IMO.

Changed the first replacement theme shown here to something quite different, due to better source material provided by Noif in post #147 on page 8 (thanks, mate). Now these guys appear more "civilized"...

CE:
    No special units for this side at this time, even though I have several ideas in that department.

BOII
    Before:
    Not too fun to watch.

Created a replacement that I find more realistic...

CE:
    See also post #136 on page 7. Note that these screenies are with the gimped unit variety from patch 7 in effect and not as varied in colours as the game optimally provides.

?

BOIOTIAN LEAGUE
    Before:
    ?

Part of the Wrath of Sparta DLC.

After:
    Cannot preview them here as the maximum number of images allowed in a post has been reached.

CARTHAGE
    Before:
    That green...

Got a good source for the change (but don't remember where I got it from, so can't give a link to it).

Hit it on my first attempt. But took a while before I realized that...

CE:
    Slightly changed in OF. Again in Totus.

CIMMERIA
    Before:
    ?

Part of the November 2014 bundle from CA.

ACR theme inspired by info from xeofox.

After:
    Cannot preview it here as the maximum number of images allowed in a post has been reached.

COLCHIS
    Before:
    ?

After:
    Cannot preview it here as the maximum number of images allowed in a post has been reached.

DACIA
    Before:
    ?

OF:

See Getae.

EGYPT
    Before:
    ?

OF:
    See the Ptolemaics.

EPIRUS
    Before:
    Not bad. Would just need tuning down the shades a little..

Two of the most common colours in the Roman and Hellenic worlds seem to have been red and white. This appears to have been the case also in Epirus. In order to create some variety, however, I started out my work for this side following CA's idea. But difficulties in finding a solution that worked for all units eventually brought me back to what several of my sources told me, as exemplified by Johnny Shumate's illustration of King Pyrrhus's troops, which you can find here.

Edit 18 October 2013: Got the new Epirus ready for preview (after 1203 "views" of the old idea). It shows their pikemen in formation, the unit closest to the above source in appearance...

CE:
    In CE and later, most Epirote units will differ from this. The pikemen are the main battle line troops for this faction, so they have uniforms reflecting that. Other units have various support functions, and their appearance are in line with that, too (the more subdued orange and green uniform surviving on Citizen Cavalry, for example). A second reason for this is the Epirote pikemen looking similar to the Ptolemaics, although the latter appear in brighter shades, and will have other colours diverging from the Epirote themes.

Main theme tuned down a little for OF and onwards.

GALATIANS
    Before:
    Just a little on the strong side...

Got a source for them looking more like...

CE:
    Note that this screenie is with the gimped unit variety from patch 7 in effect and not as varied in colours as the game optimally provides. For this particular unit, it means only one colour for tunics, as opposed to three otherwise.

GETAE
    Before:
    A little over the top reddish brown.

Gave them a certain colouful twist, in line with my sources...

OF:
    Never mind the other faction in the background.

ICENI
    Before:
    One of the least "itchy" colour themes in vanilla. Still...

Tried to create something interesting based on the warriors seen behind an illustration of their famous Queen Boadicea. Turned out far grittier than vanilla...

CE:
    The wildest lot so far.

?

KORINTHOS
    Before:
    ?

Included in Wrath of Sparta bundle.

After:
    Cannot review them here as the maximum number of images allowed in a post has been reached.

LEPIDUS' ROME
    Before:
    Worst of the new Roman factions, IMO.

Solution...

OF:

LUSITANI
    Before:
    That's a strong yellow...

Got some sources for these guys, suggesting grey for primary colour. They also suggested yellowish grey or brownish grey in primary with some orangy hue for secondary or tertiary, and last colour being white. Never liked the first option, which was shown below first. Therefore updated it to...

OF:
    Now this looks better. "Wilder" and more independent, as it were, fitting the Lusitanians.

MACEDON
    Before:
    I like some colour combinations on the shield patterns for the Macedonians in vanilla...

Difficult to make more interesting. Had something that I first deemed good enough, but then decided I should keep on working. Not sure if I am to follow the red clothing idea or the orangy clothing idea...

Alrighty, don't think I've succeeded in capturing that "Macedonian red" idea yet, but got something that could do for...

CE:

Main theme tweaked a little for OF and onwards.

MARCOMANNI
    Before:
    ?

A side that's become playable in Imperator Augustus. Changed their apperarance in CE a little to...

OF:

MASSAGETAE
    Before:
    Quite colourful...

Tried something different based on a source given as showing Massagetae warriors, but the accuracy of that has come in doubt...

Edit 22 December 2013: Based on info which I judge to me be more reliable - as it comes from xeofox, an archaelogist from Kazakhstan - I've changed the Massagetan theme to the one shown below...

CE:
    When I try to introduce some variety for this faction, this particular unit will probably appear more noble with a greater part of its outfit coloured red. Note that this screenie is with the gimped unit variety from patch 7 in effect and not as varied in colours as the game optimally provides.

MASSALIA
    Before:
    ?

After:
    Couldn't bring the preview as former minor faction over since the maximum number of images allowed in a post has been reached.

NERVII
    Before:
    One of the least itching vanilla themes.

Tried to improve on it...

PS 10 January 2014: A fellow modder recommended me to show the Nervii in better light. So here they are in different light (but gimped unit variety)...

CE:

OCTAVIAN'S ROME
    Before:
    Not too bad if looking only on units with strong shading that tones the hues down.

Octavian might be regarded as the legitimate successor to Caesar and ruler of Rome. In such capacity, he should fly the "old" (united) Roman colours. So...

OF:
    See new (OF) theme for regular Rome.

ODRYSIAN KINGDOM
    Before:
    I like the yellow here, at least.

Reworked my first idea for the Odrysians previewed here. On the campaign map (note that colours are always a bit "off" due to the shading in this game mode), they'll look like this...

OF:
    Almost all of their units in upcoming Totus will be "special". For some battlefield shots of them, see page 15 in this thread.

PARTHIA
    Before:
    Not the most pleasant colour combination...

Edit 14 November 2013: Thanks to the feedback from xeofox, I believe the source I first used for the Parthians is erroneous. It's probably more suitable for one of the minor factions. You'll find more info about that in post #2.

Edit 30 November 2013: It has not been easy to find a theme for the Parthians that would represent them well. They seem to have been a colourful bunch, so three colours are not enough, really. But they appear to have liked light colours, and especially blue in all sorts of hues. So it's not surprising that a designer of plastic military miniatures has one type of Parthian troops illustrated like this...

I used that as basis for the Parthian factional theme...

OF:
    To reflect the colourful impression of the Parthians, the "factional theme" will not be seen as is often in CE or upcoming Totus. And in the latter, the particular unit dispalyed above is tweaked to a more believable impression.

PERGAMON
    Before:
    ?

After:

POMPEY'S ROME
    Before:
    Purple-ish blue uniforms. Not too bad on units with strong shading that subdues the hues. Want better, though. Like...

OF:

PONTUS
    Before:
    Pretty strong yellow and purple there...

In the beginning of this mod project, I didn't have much source material for these guys other than plastic miniatures. The most common colours here were blue and white. So, for my first Pontic theme, I made a shade approximating the ancient pigment azurite their primary colour. Yellow was also rather common on these miniatures, and some purple. Tried the yellow, but felt the Kingdom of Pontus should have something more exotic fitting the oriental part of their culture...

Edit 27 October 2013: Refined the original theme to look like...

CE:
    Based on new source material, however, Pontus appear rather differently in OF and VE, with the blue removed. In the variety deal for VE, the main colours recur in other combinations, and blue is brought back on the chart, but only for select units. The general idea is that Pontus was a faction influenced by many different cultures and their army should reflect that fact in some way. See examples in post #3 and on page 14.

PTOLEMAICs
    Before:
    Pretty strong colours here, too...

Most sources seem to portray the Ptolemaics normally in the colours of red and white, depending on the type of unit depicted. However, two of my sources showed soldiers with yellow mantles. So I made this the tertiary colour. Below is an example of my first version of their theme. In the New Year Edition, I've tuned down the brightness of the red and yellow a bit because they appear too strong in certain settings, like the historical battle of Raphia.

Early ACR2:

In CE, the Ptolemaics got slightly different hues of the above theme. Almost all native Egyptian troops were made to depart from the main theme, some of them featuring my interpretation of "Egyptian Blue".

In OF, the main theme has been tweaked some more.

Edit 9 November 2014: Found the red colour for the Ptolemaics in OF a little too strong, after all, so you may want to use my tweak for remedy; using PFM, just change the value in the third column (named "primary_colour_b") in the faction_uniforms_colours table for "emp_egypt" and "rom_ptolemaics" from current "103" to "99". Save from unedited place in the table.

ROME
    Before:
    This should be familiar to all.

Let's be clear on something regarding Roman colours here. Of all factions in the game, the Romans have the least prospect of looking good with a single uniform theme. This is due to the uncommonly varied degrees of shading applied on their unit types. If you find a colour theme looking good on Velites, for example, then it's bound to appear rather dark on Legionaries, but a bit on the pale side on Armoured Legionaries. This problem is aggravated in certain situations in game with pale yellowish or orangy light, where the Velites could still look OK, but the Armoured Legionaries rather awful. The only way to reduce this problem is to give each type of Roman unit a uniform theme of its own. This has been done to a large extent in the Varietas Edition and onwards. In these editions, the Republican army, for example, is made to appear more "republican". This means "less uniform" and the likelihood of the soldiers wearing undyed clothing is greater. This has the effect of the Hastati looking like this...

VE:

Other Republican units will diverge a little from this theme in some way or other. In Totus, the Hastati has received further tweakings.

Part of my inspiration for the Rebublican army units is an illustration of the soldiers from the Punic Wars found here.

ROXOLANI
    Before:
    The red on the Roxolani happens to be exactly the same shade of red seen on the Massagetae...

I'm using the illustration from Trajan's First Dacian War seen here as basis for my version. Here's the result for their Noble Horse Archers...

CE:
    Very delicate business not to let that shade of red become too strong. But now they look a good side.

SCYTHIA
    Before:
    Maybe CA were trying to give the epithet of "Royal Scythians" some meaning through that strong yellow, if one undertands that as "golden"...

I'm using the image found at bottom of the page here, among others, for my interpretation of these people. Think I've managed to give this wild bunch some air of an important tribe...

CE:
    Again, in Totus, this factional theme has been diversified across many units.

SELEUCID EMPIRE
    Before:
    Pretty similar to the Ptolemaics...

After some research, I found out that the Seleucids were yet another party in the Roman-Hellenic world who apparently used mainly red clothing for their troops, along with some white and yellow(!). So it has not been easy to come up with something new and interesting for them while remaining somewhat true to history. But several of my sources used a certain shade of red similar to the one shown on the soldier to the left in the illustration seen in post #47 here. That's a hue a little different from other reds I've used so far. So I've tried to emulate that shade and then find a tertiary that was not yellowish and yet looking OK wth primary.

Edit 3 November 2013: Felt a need to re-do the tertiary for more variety. Here's the result for the Silver Shield Pikemen...

Early ACR2:
    In CE, the Seleucids have a different colour order than before, with the old tertiary now in secondary position, which creates a more pleasing Seleucid figure on the campaign map, for example.

SPARTA
    Before:
    Vanilla gives a kinda bleak impression of these famous warriors. Particularly with that pale yellow for tertiary colour...

In CE and Totus, the Spartans will be treated a bit differently compared to the other sides in ACR. While all units from other factions as a rule will have the same mix of factional colours, the colours for Sparta will vary depending on which social class the unit in question belongs to. This because there was a strict hierarchy in their society between Spartiates (citizens of Sparta), Perioikoi (free inhabitants of the greater Lacedaemonian State) and Helots (slaves). Spartiates were known for their crimson tunics and cloaks (especially the latter, apparently not always the former). So that colour will be reserved for Spartan units proper in ACR. Reflecting their low status, the Helot units will be wearing simple, non-flamboyant colours. So for these two opposite classes, colours will be rather mono-chromatic. But the Perioikoi will appear in something more varied, just like free men.

The social system of this faction also affects the type of military duty the men are performing. As the Spartans are said to always have fought on foot, never on horseback, only the Helots and the Perioikoi will be seen as cavalry in CE and Totus. For similar reaons, only the Helots will be observed tending to siege artillery pieces.

For the Spartiates, I'm trying to recreate a darker impression as indicated by a couple of sources. Happy to have found a suitable hue for it...

Edit 19 October 2013: Decided to remove the old preview of the Spartan Youths (after 971 "views"), as it had become outdated. Better show the hoplites with the variety project in place for...

CE:

Only red tunics will do for the real Spartans.

In OF, however, the single uniform theme approach has made it necessary to introduce a contrasting white colour as tertiary to the red primary and secondary, now tuned down a little.

SUEBI
    Before:
    The orange is a bit on the "screamy" side for me...

For my interpretation, I used more than one source of Germanic warriors, but basically started out from the rider to the left in the illustration of Germanic (Suebi) Warriors from the 1st century BC to the 1st century AD posted here.

Add a tweak here, and another there...

CE:
    PS. For a screenie of their Sword Masters, check bottom of post #68 on page 4 of this thread.

SYRACUSE
    Before:
    Strong medium blue, black and white in vanilla.

But sources suggest light blue, white and wine red for this side...

OF:
    See also example of their picked hoplites in post #234 on page 12.

TYLIS
    Before:
    A bit too lively green there, otherwise not bad.

For my latest update, I've changed the original non-playable theme for these guys to...

VE:
    Seen here in the coastal town of Apollonia, after them having conquered almost all of the Balkans in one campaign of alternate history.

Note: For all previews above hold that in Totus many units will look different due to the army diversity project that makes the factional theme more like the most common colours used by the units of the faction in question.

Thanks to a tip from my friend Noif, CE came with unit cards in matching colours for some of the factions. It's quite nice to be rid of the strong vanilla colours in this area, too. Only 20 major factions were featured here, so the addition was small. Here's an example of the result for Carthage:
    Varietas does not have this addition, but ACR may once get it in the future.

CREDITS
    Creative Assembly - For creating potentially a truly great game with already outstanding graphics and a mod-friendly structure; lots of things are really good in this game, and mods can now make it better.
    daniu - For updating the "Pack File Manager"; couldn't have done this without that tool.
    xeofox - For pointing out a probable error in my first source used as theme basis for the Parthians (hopefully they will be more truthfully rendered now) and also for providing me with info that laid the foundation for the themes of several other factions.
    Noif de Bodemloze - For the tip about unit cards.
    DramaBelli - For his special of support of this project coming to full fruitition (in Omnes Factiones and upcoming Totus Edition).
    Aermanner and andrew881thebest - For their advice about proper Latin in the names of the new version of the mod.
    Marshall of France - For the source material from which I found reason and inspiration to recolour a couple of factions - the Helveconae and Nahanarvali - in Omnes Factiones.

Mod co-operation

COMPATIBILITY
    No part of ACR is to be used publicly elsewhere without my expressed consent. But all plain and civil requests for this end have a fair chance of being granted, provided that proper credits are given.

So far, you may find some version of ACR integrated into the following mods (in order of release):

VAE VICTIS (v. 0.6 with Omnes Factiones) - a big overhaul mod focused on realism and historical acuracy.
    PARA BELLUM (with Varietas) - a mod focused on improving the battles, including better formation and spacing of the units.
    ROME 2 TOTAL REALISM (v. 2.1 with Omnes Factiones) - the name says it all.
    CULTURE IDENTITY UNITS (v. 0.4 with Varietas?) - a mod giving the various factions a more unique appearance with superb custom-made textures.
    HELLENIKA (v.1.0 with certain parts from Varietas) - a mod elevating the Wrath of Sparta DLC scenario to superb levels. Edit 16 November 2016: I have released an add-on to Hellenika giving it full ACR coverage. Read more about it in the stickied thread for that project in the forums for Hellenika.
    + (no longer applicable)

You can also play ACR with the Legionaries Armies Mod packed with new cool units. Just download the the ACLA version of ACR to go with LAM.

Another mod of interest, now that ACR has been upgraded to Varietas+ and later, may be the All Factions Auxilia. This little mod allows for all recoloured auxilia in ACR to be accessed from any faction, provided that you're in the right region for their recruitment.

Generally, I wish that mods which change the equipment of the units - in order to make generals stand out more like generals, for example - more often make room for different colour solutions for those changes. Now it appears that you usually have to choose between a given equipment-improving mod or a given colour-improving mod, that you cannot have both, which is a pity.

My uniform mod should be compatible with all other mods that do not mess with the faction_uniform_colours or unit_variant_colours tables. Even if they do, I've increased the chance of compatibility by naming my tables differently.

How To Enable the Mod

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Extract the downloaded file using a program like 7-zip.
    2. The extraction will produce a folder with two files in it. Both should be dropped in the data folder of the game.
    3. Start the game and wait for the first splash screen to appear. When it does, click on the "MOD MANAGER" button.
    4. This will show which mods you have installed. If you already have a mod of similar sort to ACR installed or enabled, you must uninstall or disable it here (check the section about compatibility above).
    5. To enable ACR, tick the box above the image for it.
    6. Then click on the "PLAY" button.
    7. Enjoy the new experience of the game!

Feedback

Reports of suspected colour editing errors, constructive criticism, suggestions, source material tips, images of the mod in action or simple comments on the work are most welcome.

Cheers,

D
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 24, 2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Withholding mod pending decision by TWC

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae - Minor Factions

All factions in the game, including the DLC scenarios, will end up being covered in ACR. Currently 330 parties (counting civil war factions, secession sides and rebels, too) have been recoloured. More if you count the factions featured in the great Hellenika mod for Wrath of Sparta, to which I've created an add-on named ACRAH (see here for more info about that). Only those of the newly released Empire Divided DLC remain.

A few of the minor sides will be previewed below. All themes subject to change with new ideas or better source material.

Two lists will follow. One enumerating all minor factions included in the released version of ACR, and the other all minor sides planned to be included. Factions mentioned in former list in cursive text are finished parties set for release in the next update.

Note: All previews in this post are with the gimped unit variety from patch 7 in effect and not as varied in colours as the game optimally provides, unless otherwise indicated..

Minor factions featured in ACR: 293

AFRICAN KINGDOMS - 8/8

1. Axum

2. Blemmyes

3. Gaetuli

4. Garamantia

5. Libya

6. Masaesyli

7. Nasamones

8. Meroe
    Slightly changed for VE.

ARABIAN KINGDOMS - 7/7
    1. Gerrhaea

2. Himyar

3. Ma'in

4. Mascat

5. Nabatea

6. Qidri

7. Saba

BRITANNIC TRIBES - 5/5

1. Brigantes

2. Caledones

3. Demetae

4. Dumnonii

5. Ebdani

CELTIBERIAN TRIBES - 6/6
    1. Cantabri

2. Celtici

3. Cessetani

4. Edetani
    Full colour diversity displayed.

5. Gallaeci

6. Turdetani
    Full colour diversity displayed.

CELTIC TRIBES - 11/11
    1. Anartes

2. Daorsi - Treated as an Illyrian tribe.

3. Delmatae - Treated as an Illyrian tribe.

4. Eravisci

5. Insubres

6. Liguria

7. Nori - See example in post #225 on page 12 (variety gimped version) or #242 on the next page (for full unit variety version).

8. Scordisci

9. Raeti
    Displayed with the full colour variety of patch 12 beta- but colours have been tuned down for VE.

10. Triballi

11. Veneti (of the Adriatic coast)

DACO-THRACIAN TRIBES - 3/3
    1. Apulii - Before Empire Edition known as the Biephi; treated as a Dacian tribe.
    Displayed with the full colour variety of patch 12 beta - somewhat changed in VE.

2. Bastarnae

3. Breuci

EASTERN EMPIRES - 12/12
    1. Arachosia

2. Ardhan
    Tuned down in VE.

3. Aria

4. Bithynia

5. Cappadocia

6. Drangiana

7. Kartli

8. Media

9. Media Atropatene

10. Parthava

11. Persia

13. Sagartia

GALLIC TRIBES - 10/10
    1. Aedui

Atrebartes - see example in post #148 on page 8.

3. Carnutes

4. Helvetii - see example in post #148 on page 8.

5. Namnetes

6. Pictones

7. Sequani

8. Treverii - see example in post #148 on page 8.

9. Vivisci

10. Volcae

GERMANIC TRIBES - 7/7
    1. Aestiii

2. Cherusci

3. Cimbri

4. Frisii

5. Gutones

6. Lugii

7. Rugii

GREEK STATES - 6/6
    1. Cyprus - see example in post #167 on page 9.

2. Cyrenaica - see example in post #167 on page 9.

3. Knossos

4. Rhodos

5. Sardes

6. Trapezos

ITALIAN FACTIONS - 1/1
    Etruscan League - See example in post #136 on page 7.

NOMADIC TRIBES - 7/7
    1. Aorsoi - Treated as a Sarmatian tribe; theme based on xeofox's info that their name means "whites"; see example in post #136 on page 7.

Budini - Treated as a Scythian tribe.

Catiaroi - Treated as a Scythian tribe; adopted the old theme for the Massagetae, as this was more likely a Scythian outfit, just like xeofox, an archaeologist from Kazakhstan, pointed out earlier.

4. Dahae - Treated as a group of people frequently employed by the Parthians.

5. Khorasmii - Edited version of my first theme for the Parthians, which xeofox correctly pointed out to be more likely pertaining to the Saka Tigrakhouda (the "Sakas of the Pointed Caps" - a steppe people frequently employed by the Parthians), i.e. a group of people to which the Khorasmii belonged.

6. Siraces - Treated as a Sarmatian tribe.

7. Thyssagetae - Theme based on xeofox's info that they were a forest people likely using some brown and green for colours, the latter because malachite was common in in their country; treated as influenced by the Sakas in culture.

PUNIC COLONIES - 1/1
    Nova Carthago

PARTIES IN PROLOGUE - 5/5
    1. Gaul

2. Greek Cities
    More realistic version of vanilla colours.

3. Lucanians

4. Roman Allies - Similar to regular Rome.

5. Samnites

PARTIES IN CAESAR IN GAUL DLC - 32/32
    All factions in CiG that exist also in the Grand Campaign will have uniform themes as in the main part of the game. So only factions unique for CiG, including a couple which also exist in HatG, will be listed below.
    1. Allobroges - One of the tribes that also exist in the HatG campaign but not in the Grand Campaign.

2. Ausci

3. Belgae
    Displayed with the full colour variety of patch 12 beta.

4. Bellovaci - See example in post #242 on page 13 of this thread.

5. Bituriges - See example in post #242 on page 13 of this thread.6. Cantiaci

7. Cenomani - See example in post #242 on page 13 of this thread.

8. Cadurci

9. Eburones

10. Lemovices

11. Lexovii

12. Mandubii

13. Mediomatrici

14. 'Morini

15. Nemetes- See example in post #244 on page 13 of this thread.

16. Osismii - See example in post #244 on page 13 of this thread.

17. Parisii

18. Raurici

19. Redones

20. Remi

21. Ruteni

22. Santones

23. Senones

24. Sotiates

25. Suessiones

26. Tarbelli - One the tribes present in both CiG and HatG; the odd thing is that in the former case, they appear as Gauls, but in the latter case as Iberians, at least on the campaign map.

27. Tulingi

28. Turones

29. Unelli

30. Vangiones

31. Veneti (of the Atlantic coast)

32. Vocontii

PARTIES IN HANNIBAL AT THE GATES DLC - 11/11
    All factions in HatG that exist also in the Grand Campaign or the Caesar in Gaul campaign will have uniform themes as in those parts of the game. So only factions unique for HatG will be listed below.

1. Astures

2. Carpetani

3. Emporion

4. Ilergetes

5. Illercavones

6. Massyli

7. Mauri - Edited just a tad from vanilla.

8. Oretani

9. Vaccaei

10. Vascones

11. Vettones

PARTIES IN IMPERATOR AUGUSTUS CAMPAIGN - 23/23
    All factions in IA that exist also in the Grand Campaign, Caesar in Gaul or Hannibal at the Gates will have uniform themes as in those parts of the game. So only factions unique for IA will be listed below. Several of them are civil war factions and will be covered in that section below.

1. Alani

2. Arii

3. Buri

4. Characene

5. Corieltauvi

6. Helveconae - See example in post #374 on page 19 of this thread.

7. Iastae - Using the same mon as Thyssagetae in vanilla game, but, as the latter are rendered as "Sakas" and the former as "Sarmatians", I did not equate the two.

8. Iazyges - Spelled with an "L" in game.

9. Judea

10. Nahanarvali - See example in post #374 on page 19 of this thread.

11. Palmyra

12. Quadi
    Note that many of the factions nominally unique to IA other than the above seem to be old factions under a different name or spelling. So, although I count them as separate factions, I have given them colours accordingly. These include:

Belgae = Nervii

Dumonii = Dumnonii

Gaul = Arverni

Gerrhea = Gerrhaea

Helisii = Lugii

Iberia = Edetani

Numidia = Masaesyli

Paradene = Arachosia

Semnones = Suebi

Thrace = Odrysian Kingdom

Vindelici = Insubres

These equations are subject to change with better information or ideas.

PARTIES IN WRATH OF SPARTA CAMPAIGN - 17/17
    All factions in WOC that exist also in the Grand Campaign, Caesar in Gaul, Hannibal at the Gates or Imperator Augustus will have uniform themes as in those parts of the game. So only factions unique for WOC will be listed below. Several of them are civil war factions or rebels, and will be covered in those sections below.

1. Aitolian League

2. Akaian League

3. Argos

4. Byzantion

5. Elis

6. Gortyn

7. Ionian League

8. Korkyra

9. Kydonia

10. Melos

11. Thessalian League
    Note that some of the factions nominally unique to WoS other than the above seem to be old factions under a different name or spelling. So, although I count them as separate factions, I have given them colours accordingly. These include:

Athenai = Athens

Epeiros = Epirus

Makedon = Macedon

Persian Empire = Persia

Rodos = Rhodos

Thraike = Odrysian Kingdom

These equations are subject to change with better information or ideas.

CIVIL WAR FACTIONS - 40/40
    Civil war factions should resemble the major faction they're coming from. So they will share one or two colours from the given faction.

1. Adirim Loyalists

2. Antony's Rivals

3. Ardiaei Tribal Council

4. Arevaci Tribal Council

5. Armenian Nobles

6. Arverni Tribal Council

7. Athenian Boule

8. Baktrian Nobles

9. Boii Tribal Council - In this case, I may actually look forward to civil war!

10. Boiotian Rivals

11. Cimmerian Nobles

12. Colchian Nobles

13. Dacian Nobles - Featured solely in IA, I've treated this side as Getae Tribal Council in Omnes Factiones.

14. Egyptian Nobles - Made these to oppose the Ptolemaics both in GC and IA, even though the faction in the latter campaign is not named as Ptolemaic.

15. Epirean Nobles

16. Galatian Tribal Council

17. Getae Tribal Council

18. Iceni Tribal Council

19. Korinthian Tyrants

20. Lepidus' Rivals

21. Lusitanian Nobles

22. Macedonian Nobles
    Displayed with the full colour variety of patch 12.

23. Marcomanni Elders

24. Massagetaean Nobles - See example in post #244 on page 13 of this thread.

25. Massilian Nobles

26. Nervii Tribal Council

27. Octavian's Rivals

28. Odrysian Tribal Council

29. Parthian Nobles

30. Pergamenes Nobles

31. Pompey's Rivals

32. Pontic Nobles

33. Roxolani Nobles

34. Scythian Nobles

35. Seleucid Nobles - See example in post #254 on page 13.

36. Senate Loyalists or Roman Intervention Forces- Big challenge to find one theme looking decent on troops as varied in shading as Velites, Principes and Armoured Legionaries. It meant some units sometimes appearing a little on the light side in order to keep other troops from not appearing too dark or intense. Chose to adapt my former blue idea for Legionary Cohorts to this faction, as the game has them flying blue standards...
    Civil war in the Roman Empire now looks a rather interesting prospect. Found a new idea for the regular legionary cohort.

37. Spartan Gerousia

38. Suebi Tribal Council

39. Syracusan Nobles

40. Tylis Tribal Council

SECESSION SIDES IN GRAND CAMPAIGN AND ALL DLC SCENARIOS - 54/54
    Nothing complicated.. All parties of this category feature the same colours as their respective civil war factions but in different order or distribution. May change that when I learn more about how the secession thing works in the game.

REBELS AND SLAVES - 27/27
    I'll keep it simple here. All rebels will look roughly the same colour-wise. But instead of vanilla's three-colour uniformity, I've added one more hue, and rotated them all for variety across the different cultures (the colour used as primary for rebels X is used as secondary for rebels Y etc; this makes for 24 different combinations). But I have not been able to test them all in game yet. So I'd appreciate feedback about how they came out, especially if one combination appears unsuitable for the given group of rebels.

1. African rebels in Grand Campaign, Imperator Augustus, and Hannibal at the Gate DLC
    2. Aitolian Rebels in Wrath of Sparta DLC
    3. Akaian Rebels in WoS
    4. Arabian rebels in GC and IA
    5. Barbarian rebels in WoS - made identical to Thracian rebels elsewhere
    6. Briton rebels in GC, IA and Caesar in Gaul DLC
    7. Celtiberian rebels in HatG
    8. Celtic rebels in GC, IA, CiG and HatG
    9. Dacian rebels in GC and IA
    10. Dorian Rebels in WoS
    11. Eastern rebels in GC and IA
    12. Egyptian rebels in GC and IA
    13. Gallic rebels in CiG
    14. German rebels in GC, IA and CiG
    15. Greek rebels in WoS - made identical to Hellenic rebels elsewhere
    16. Hellenic rebels in GC, IA and HatG
    17. Iberian rebels in GC and IA
    18. Illyrian rebels in GC and IA
    19. Ionian Rebels in WoS
    20. Latin rebels in GC, IA, CiG, HatG and Prologue (those in latter campaign simply called "Rebels")
    21. Makedonian Rebels in WoS
    22. Nomadic rebels in GC and IA
    23. Persian rebels in WoS - made identical to Eastern rebels elsewhere
    24. Punic rebels in GC, IA and HatG
    25. Slaves
    26. Spartan rebels in GC and IA
    27. Thracian rebels in GC and IA

Scheduled to be addressed in the future:

All those in the ED DLC.
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 20, 2017 at 07:46 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Alii Colores Romae - Special Units

For added sense of realism and interest for the game, I've created a lot of "special units". Hundreds of them. These are units which have a uniform theme diverging from the main factional theme. By introducing a number of such units for a given faction, as far as possible based on historical sources, the army of that faction appears more diverse and therefore closer to history. All major factions and some minor factions will be given such diversity and this to varying degree. Some indication of the distribution of special units has been listed in the OP. Here, in post #3, the intent is to give detailed info about this distribution and show some examples of it. For factions where the whole roster has been covered for diversity, the change in appearance of the army is rather dramatic compared to the usual factional-theme-dominated one. The effect, where implemented, is not only more interesting factions, but also generals being more easily recognized as such, elite units standing out more from ordinary units, mercenary units appearing more independent, etc.

I will only bother to preview at most one special unit per faction plus half a dozen mercenaries here. The rest not shown is enumerated in a list provided as attachment at bottom of this post, so that you know where to look for them in game.

With the release of VE, I'm offering some alternatives to the uniform themes of some units. You'll find this section below the main one here. There may be added content in that department from time to time.

If you feel like editing some part of my mod accordingly, read the instructions at bottom of this post.

Note that some of the examples of the variety work below are from earlier versions of the mod (as indicated by the abbreviations) which may remain largely intact in VE and above.

Athenian Hippeus Lancers Based on an illustration of Athenian cavalry, I made the top ranking cavalry of this city-state appear...

CE:
    For VE, I had to adjust their black parts a little to compensate for the darker shading applied by recent patches.

Axumite Swordsmen

Epirote Royal Cavalry Inspired by an illustration of King Pyrrhus of Epirus leading his men at the Battle of Heraclea against the Romans, I created this theme for one of the general's units of this faction...

CE:

Iceni Heroic Riders CE:

Lusitanian Spearmen After VE, you may encounter these hardy men on the Iberian peninsula...

Macedonian Royal Peltasts CE:
    Updated just a little for VE.

Massagetae Steppe Archers

Mercenary Illyrian Raiders
    Theme inspired by Europa Barbarorum's Rebel Illyrian Pirates.

Mercenary Italian Cavalry CE:

Mercenary Leopard Warriors

Mercenary Numidian Noble Cavalry
    Theme inspired by Europa Babarorum's Rebel Numidian Nobles.

Mercenary Steppe Amazonian Riders

Parthian Royal Cataphracts These were one of the most difficult units to get into some sort of colour control. First of all, very little of the uniform is editable: only the ribbons hanging down from the top of some helmets, and a part of the back of the pants on some soldiers. Secondly, only the primary and the secondary colours get applied, the latter only on the pants. And thirdly, the shading is extreme on the editable areas, the ribbons getting a really strong shadow, so that you can't recognize the original colour (you won't notice any change anyway unless you view the soldiers from the back), and the pants seemingly a certain fading of shade instead. So if you get one area roughly right, the other is bound to look wrong. Based the work on an illustration of Parthian cataphracts. The result?

Early version of ACR:
    After CE, the colours of the horse armour details seen above are different.

Ptolemaic Nubian Bowmen These should be dressed more in whitish garments, like...

CE:
    Slightly changed for VE.

Samnite Noble Cavalry Including general...

Seleucid Shield Bearers Including general...

Spartan Perioikoi Peltasts In line with my idea to have the Helots, Perioikoi, and Spartiates of Sparta looking quite different from each other, according to the strict division of social class, I'm showing one example of this here...

CE:
    This approach has the added effect of making the real Spartiates stand out even more, and the Royal Spartans in particular are really cool now, IMO, especially in action.

Suebi Wodanaz Spears Warriors marked in bolder colours than the rest of the tribe...

Ancient style Celtic brooch

Optionals

Send me a PM if you're interested in any of these, and I'll give you the data for the change. More alternatives might be added later.

Odrysian Peltasts As an alternative to the standard version of these warriors in VE, you can have these troopers appearing like ...

The only difference is the tertiary colour, which is khaki-like here, but more colourful rusty red in the standard version. See page 15 for an example of the latter.

Parthian Javelinmen If someone wants greater diversity for the Parthian army, here's an option:

Pontic Citizen Cavalry You can have these departing from the main theme with a red element...

This because other Pontic cavalry will have elements of red in them. But if you prefer reducing the resemblance to other factions or this unit rhyming more with other Greek-influenced units of Pontus bearing blue, then the standard variant might be good enough.

Roman Praetorian Guard In Totus, thanks to a discussion I had with argenti, this unit will look different than in Africanum. Anyone that may prefer the old version, as illustrated below, can PM me for the details about how to bring it back:

Typical Macedonian shield pattern

List of special units covered in ACR:

Due to site restrictions about text volumes in a post, I've copied the list in the unit_variants_colours table for Totus into a simple notepad file that's attached below. It shows close to 2000 entries. That's about 50% more than in Africanum. Each campaign must have its own colour data for the units in order for them to depart from the main theme in that scenario. That's why some units turn up in several places. If a particular unit for a given campaign is mentioned twice, it means both soldiers and officer have been given uniform themes different from the factional one. If it's mentioned three times, then its standard bearer is also different. I have not bothered to mark which units in Africanum have been edited ("improved") for Totus and which units are totally new for the mod this time.

How To Edit ACR

If you want to tailor the mod more to your preferences, here's how to do it.

1. Open my mod with PFM.
    2. If you want to change something in the way a particular faction appears, open the faction_uniform_colours table; if you want to change something regarding a particular unit, open the unit_variant_colours table.
    3a. In the former case, find the colour you want, note its RGB values, and enter those as given in the columns for primary colour (columns #1-3), secondary colour (columns #4-6) and/or tertiary colour (columns #7-9). Check the note about which colour order will affect what below.
    3b. In the latter case, if you merely want to change some colour, follow the same procedure as above, but observe that the RBG values must be entered in the reverse order here, i.e. the value for blue must be written in the first of the trio of columns for whatever colour is to be changed, the one for green in the second (as before), and the one for red in the last; if you don't want a particular unit to diverge from the main factional theme at all, then click on its row number to highlight the whole row and then hit the delete button on the keyboard.
    4. Select an unedited part of the table, and then save your changes (or that last edited field in the table won't register the change).
    5. Start the game with your edited ACR in the data folder.

Useful to know:
    - Changes in the primary colour will determine the most common colour for tunics and horse armor details, and the one colour used for blankets on horses and elephants, etc.
    - Changes in the secondary colour will have effects depending on what faction or unit it is, and the degree of unit variety your comp permits; with reduced unit variety, it often determines the other colour for tunics, hats and horse armour details etc; if a Roman unit, it sometimes sets the third colour on shields alone; and so on.
    - Changes in the tertiary colour used to have results similar to those for secondary colour, but with reduced unit variety in effect it most often means changes to pants and some details on tunics and shields alone.
    - Officers have randomized access to the three colours given in the theme, which in the case of one sporting both a tunic, cloak, and shield, for example, can mean that only two colours are used in all changeable areas; next time that officer appears on the battlefield, he can have all three colours showing in those areas, but differently.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Demokritos; December 19, 2017 at 01:39 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2

Liking the added shirts to the gauls.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Welcome back mate to Rome 2 modding section. Seem your retire is finished and back to work. I can tell you that there are some special recolors too what are made for few special units like Sacred band and praetorians and - guards in db - unit_variant_colors if you didn't know that. Glad you are back here.

Looks promising! Godspeed man!

Thank you, guys.

@Noif - Check the third post. A lot more of that to come later.

Have updated OP...

Epirote militia hoplites (in darker hues) rushing to assist a friendly unit attacked by Arverni cavalry.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

As an old song sing "welcome to the jungle" good Sir just giving some poetry and justice to this unlucky game!

Looks good so far... Are you using an ENB? the screenshots look nice..

How far are you to finding out how to change the faction colour for the mini-map in the campaign and campaign strategic map?

Thats where I'm stuck atm..

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

I would dispute the decision to keep green on Epirus, sir. It clashes badly with the orange regardless of tone, and makes their army resemble a sort of strange mixing as if the entire faction was permenantly bound to celebrate St. Patricks Day.
    Edit: I would propose replacing the green with something, for the record.

The Ptolemies however, look FANTASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by DramaBelli View Post
    As an old song sing "welcome to the jungle" good Sir just giving some poetry and justice to this unlucky game!
    Welcome to the ACR2 thread, my friend. I hope you'll find it nearly as good as ACC. Modding Rome 2 in this area is more difficult than Shogun 2, but I'll try my best.

Quote Originally Posted by Actus Reus View Post
    Looks good so far... Are you using an ENB? the screenshots look nice..

How far are you to finding out how to change the faction colour for the mini-map in the campaign and campaign strategic map?

Thats where I'm stuck atm..
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not using anything in particular for my screens other than max graphics in game and dedicated graphics card settings for Rome 2 on my new comp.

Haven't considered changing stuff on the campaign map yet. That question will arise when the faction colours are set more permanently. Will let you know when I find relevant modding info about it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    I would dispute the decision to keep green on Epirus, sir. It clashes badly with the orange regardless of tone, and makes their army resemble a sort of strange mixing as if the entire faction was permenantly bound to celebrate St. Patricks Day.
    Edit: I would propose replacing the green with something, for the record.

The Ptolemies however, look FANTASTIC!
    Yes, I'm quite pleased with the Ptolemies. Thank you.
    Regarding green-orange-white combination, I take it you don't like the Irish flag much (with colours always "clashing badly" like that)?

And a green-red-white combination will make it look like Christmas, they say.

Well, I understand your concern, MA, but seriously, if we were to avoid all colour combinations associated with modern traditions in the many different cultures of the world, there wouldn't be much left to choose from to portray the ancient civilizations which existed long before present day, would it? Least of all historically correct. If you ask me, a game portraying historical events should strive for historical accuracy regardless of modern associations. If the historical facts can be established.

As it happens for Epirus, however, I did not have much information earlier and need to reconsider their appearance based on my ideas for the Macedonians anyway. We'll see how that turns out.

im eager to wait for this

Good to Have You back demo!, i am gunna enjoy the new textures from you and and new screenies will be happening in the future

i have missed you and my mind has also wondered if you were ever going to mod this game!

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

Perhaps a very dull red or brown shade could replace Epirus' green? Its worth experimenting, at any rate.

I'm 1/4 irish by the way Love my ancestors, not crazy about their flag. That could just be the english parts of me though.

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

*Bows down before Demokritos* Let it begin, sir... let it begin.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

So nice to see you here Demokritos. I'm looking forward !
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Happy to see you guys interested in what's under development here. There's already so many other mods out there, so any single mod is easily lost in the torrent of work being made to improve this game. To facilitate for members to find what they're after, including myself, I think it's high time for the moderators to organize all non-hosted mods in sub-forums according to type again, just like they did for Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MKgr0ss View Post
    im eager to wait for this
    Hope you'll like seeing the real deal later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    Good to Have You back demo!, i am gunna enjoy the new textures from you and and new screenies will be happening in the future

i have missed you and my mind has also wondered if you were ever going to mod this game!
    Hello, my Hazey friend! Long time no see. Yes, it took a while before I decided that Rome 2 needed a different costume, too, and before the final installment of ACC. So here I am. Good to see you show up here as well. Thank you for your faith in me, and I can't wait to see those special shots of yours again.

Quote Originally Posted by Massive_attack View Post
    Perhaps a very dull red or brown shade could replace Epirus' green? Its worth experimenting, at any rate.

I'm 1/4 irish by the way Love my ancestors, not crazy about their flag. That could just be the english parts of me though.
    Haha. Yeah, I guess those different parts always see things differently, regardless of subject. Almost.

As matter of fact, I'm working on Epirus on exactly those lines. But, I don't share your opinion about green and orange always mixing badly, so this might very well end in me providing an optional theme only for those who're strongly rooted in modern St. Patrick's Day traditions etc. It should be simple enough to edit that part of my mod using PFM.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    *Bows down before Demokritos* Let it begin, sir... let it begin.
    Haha. Yes, I'm on the modding road again. Who knows where it will end this time? Glad to have you on board for the trip, McCarronXLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    So nice to see you here Demokritos. I'm looking forward !
    Welcome to the ACR2 thread, Yerevan! Very nice to hear from you, too. Rome 2 presents a greater challenge than Shogun2 to recolour successfully, but I'll try my best not to disappoint you.

Hopefully this new mod of mine is finished by the time CA has patched up the game properly, so that it can be enjoyed to the full.

Guys, as a little return favor for your feedback, here's a second preview of the Arverni, still not from their most colourful side...
    Are these serious dudes or not? I believe they are.
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 03, 2013 at 11:50 AM.

alot of tribes to me arent very aggressive "Look" to me in the game, but it certainly done some improvement on the texture demo! which again i cant wait to try!..
    - a tweak if possible( if doesnt effect radious unit mods) only less helmets and more long hair and spiked hair and face paints.

PS I hope you do a good job on the Celtici faction cause they are my favorite faction so far.

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

Can't wait! Looking great. I do worry though that the blue on Pontus might be too bright.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    alot of tribes to me arent very aggressive "Look" to me in the game, but it certainly done some improvement on the texture demo! which again i cant wait to try!..
    - a tweak if possible( if doesnt effect radious unit mods) only less helmets and more long hair and spiked hair and face paints.

PS I hope you do a good job on the Celtici faction cause they are my favorite faction so far.
    You mean the Arverni? Yeah, I think they might be my favourite faction so far, too.

Will try some equally serious for the other two "barbarian" factions.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    Can't wait! Looking great. I do worry though that the blue on Pontus might be too bright.
    Already felt the itch regarding that blue for the eastern units of Pontus. Will address it with "special units" somehow.

Got a new faction for display in the OP.
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 04, 2013 at 05:19 AM.

Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast