Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

Default Re: How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

Hi,

yes, I think that I found the solution. I packed a new mod pack with BOB where I exported all CS2 files and tables I created. Then I tried the mod and it worked perfectly. There was the sword and the model ingame. And I don't have to add manual some files into the models2.pack. So the player can download it easily when have I added it to the Steam Workshop soon. There are no files to replace into the models2.pack anymore! I think the reason is (I don't want o criticize the PFM, it's a very cool and helpful tool for working with pack files) that the Pack File Manager can't handle my created variant part meshes and my unit variant files. Unfortunately I have to "repack" the mod with BOB every time I change something in the raw mod files, but the "main thing" is the full working of the mod ingame. Now I have to change some things of the model because there are still some major deformations but I'm a lot of nearer to the finish!

Regards,
    Vikus

Wow !! this sounds great. Congratulations !!

it is not necessary to replace files in the models2.pack...thats are really good news.
    have the sword now your custom texture ? it would be interesting to know how to give new weapons the right texture without destroying the texture for all the vanilla-weapons.
    do you still have plans to make a tutorial when you have all the work done ?
    let me ask you,which method for " vertex weight-correction " you generally use ? do you use 3DS Max´s Weight-Painting-functions ?

Regards

Artifex

Now that sounds interesting and promising. Hopefully, if more modders learn how to import selfmade models, someone will add new uniforms (Joushitai, Mimawarigumi etc.), faces (teenage ones for Byakkotai) and new equipment (nagamaki).
    Good work.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

About textures and, more important, UVmaps, you can read this post : Using UU3D to work on UVMaps
    Principles are the same in 3ds max tool (UVW modifier).

I can't remember if texture must be assign in the equipment model as it has to be done for ETW/NTW equipments or if it is done through db tables in TWS2.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    Now that sounds interesting and promising. Hopefully, if more modders learn how to import selfmade models, someone will add new uniforms (Joushitai, Mimawarigumi etc.), faces (teenage ones for Byakkotai) and new equipment (nagamaki).
    Good work.
    The Nagamaki is already in the game. They are only used by the Onna bushi heroines from the Saints and Heroes DLC.

Hi,

to the vertex weights: To test the model how it works with the bones, I'm in the Skin Modifier and start the bone animation which is also in the file from the original campaign model from CA. Every time I choose a part of the model, for example the legs. Then I go through every "frame" and search for deformations in the choosen model part. When there are some deformations I select the "Paint Weight" tool and correct the deformation. For this you need a little bit "spatial thinking" to see to which bone you have to weight the deformations so it looks well. When you have worked on every frame and there are no more deformations then the model part should weighted well. After that I search for other deformations on other model parts and do all the things all over again. So you see: To weight a model almost perfect you need time, because you have to work with every single polygon. But I thing this is a good solution to weight the model for the game as you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the textures again:

Soon I'll work on the textures. I know how to work with painting programms and so on, but my question is if the game uses a special "unwrap method". It would be easier for me to unwrap the model and create an UV map with 3ds Max, because there I know how the things work and what I have to do. So can I create a normal UV map with 3ds Max and it's UVW Modifier? I don't know if the textures are on the right place after that. Maybe there are connections between the textures and if I also have to add the textures in the 3ds Max file as wangrin said...
    So, what do you say?

Regards,
    Vikus

Patrician Artifex

Yep, it what I do using UU3D.
    But it does't work with S2TW models...

So, CA added animations to models ?
    I'm curious to know if it is possible to export it.

Maybe could you write a tutorial about fixing vertex weights using skin modifier and paint weight tool.

Good work

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Hm, but is there any system how the model has to be unwrapped so the textures are on the right place in the game? Or can I unwrap the model how I want? In the previous post I wrote that I already made fast textures, but they are on the wrong place. So I ask me how I have to unwrap the model... (I think there must be a system the CA used for all their models...)

Patrician Artifex

All what you have to do is to create an UVmap, one of your own choice.
    These data are stored in 3d model.

You can create it using UU3D, 3ds max, Maya or even MilkShape if you want.
    It's the same as for models, you can create them using the tool of your choice.
    But, et the end, you will have to convert your model to .max (2010) to use the CS2 converter.

Then, you have to use the UVmap as a patron to create textures.

For example, the process I have used to create "Bombardiers de la Marine" texture for Nec Pluribus Impar" unit pack (ETW mod):

1. create UVmap using UU3D (but could be the very same using 3ds max's UVW modifier)
    2. export UVmap as black and white pictures
      a. b.
      a. B&W filled UVmap
      b. B&W UVmap
    3. use these 2 pictures as patron to create textures

To create a diffuse texture, I use several layers :

1. a base layer, using the B&W filled UVmap that I use to "paint" base colours ;
    2. a layer to paint details such as buttons, laces, etc. ;
    3. a layer to represent "shadows" on the uniforms (mostly creases and the "texture" of fabric) ;
    4. a layer to represent "shadows" for small details ;
    5. a layer based on B&W UVmap I use as a patron to place details and colours ;

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

In ETW, the gloss map was composed of 4 channels :
    1. red = specular sharpness, how spread out the highlight is, metal should have a narrow / low / dark value, plastic or shiny wood a higher value.
    2. green = specular level, how shiny the highlight is, higher is brighter. Metal should have a high value, shiny plastic less, matte (bark, cotton) should be black on the green channel.
    3. blue = cloth dirt mask, gets combined with info from the game about dirtiness for the specified model and the default dirty map (color and alpha), the higher, the dirtier it can get.
    4. alpha = faction color strength, more alpha means the faction color gets more priority over the diffuse color.
    1. 2. 3.

The Alpha channel is all black to avoid that the game apply the faction's color to the unit.

To create the bump map (called ..._normal.dds here), I use NVidia plugin for Photoshop.
    But, instead to use the diffuse tecture as a base, I only use "shadows" layers.
    Last edited by wangrin; November 16, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

This is a very detailed tutorial! Thank you very much, wangrin. So when I start with the textures I have a good base of knowledge now.

Regards,
    Vikus

Patrician Artifex

if someone has enough free time, it could be interesting to organize informations spread in this thread into on or two post and use them as base for more detailed tutorials.

Thank you Vikus !!!

currently im working on the right " positioning "of my Cuirass,( adaptations ),to make it look good WITH the Gloves,Boots and the Helmet.
    when this is done,i will use the Weight-Painting method too.
    if someone needs quickly help with Weight-Painting,i have found a good tutorial that explain the Weight-Painting very good :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbq9q5L0-l0

maybe for someone it is helpful,until someone other will write a complete tutorial about this,here at TWC.

Yeah, I can do this, too. I have promised it at the beginning of the thread. But I'll do it when my mod is out... Then I know the whole way...

Hi, manolops3!

A useful information: don't weight the hand with any of the ...3 hand bones! This bones remained unused and the export with BOB doesn't work when you have weighted something to this bones.

Regards,
    Vikus

Hi, a question to the textures: When I unwrap the model with 3ds max, have I to convert the UV unwrap modifier to CS2, too, so the game knows how to put the textures on the model, or how can I tell the game how to add the textures on the right place?

Yeah!!! I tried this (to export the UV Unwrap, too) and it works well! So now I know what to do...

Great !

enjoy the texture editing !

Patrician Artifex

Very good !

Can you post some of yours UVmaps ?

Yes, of course!

Hi, first of all, I'll make the tutorial as soon as I can, I'm sory but I'm very busy right now...

And I have some last questions before my unit is fully working:

1. My own models (the sword and the mask) had to many polys so I reduced them manually, because when I had done it with a "poly-reducer-tool" the UV map would be corruped. Now I integrated the sword via FBX into the equipment file a second time.
    -> 1. When I only unwrap my FBX sword model in 3ds max in the equipment file there are many corrupted polys in the UV map. Have I to set something in the FBX export so I can unwrap the model successfully so it looks like the UV map I unwrapped
    before in another program? Maybe I havn't to unwrap it before exporting it into FBX, I don't know... maybe 3ds Max unwraps it fine, too.
    -> 2. How can I unwrap the whole equipment scene in one UV map? The original textures are unwrapped in one file, too. The grouping option doesn't work, so is there any other way? Maybe someone know how the CA did it...

----------------------------------------------

2. Because of some reasons my description text and unit name doesn't shown up ingame. I exported the units.loc and description texts, too, so what I'm making false? When I select my unit in custom battles, the whole screen gets darker (something like a
    transparent grey colour gets over the screen)...

----------------------------------------------

3. To the unit card: I made my own card and it works ingame. As a background I took white. Now it seems that the game cuts the white colour away so there is as a background a bright blue-white colour. But the game doesn't only cut the white
    background away, also it cuts some parts of my Witchking away. So my question: Can I use in the TARGA a transparent background? Or what can I do to tell the game not to cut away parts of the Witchking picture?

So thats it, after I finished this things successfully the mod is ready to release, hope you have some answers for my questions!
    Thanks in advance and

Regards,
    Vikus