Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

Icon5 How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

----> Tutorial on page 9!!!

Hi,

I want to make a full tutorial of the integration of 3d models into Shogun 2. I searched a long time in the TWC and I didn't find a tutorial which explains the process from import the models into 3ds Max to allocate this model with the Assambly Kit. But for that I need some help for different problems I have. So when I know, how the full process works, I'm going to make a detailed tutorial of it. Thank you for help in advance!

(Now for experienced modders...)
    I try to integrate this sword into the game:

I imported it as an object-file into the Equipment.max file with 3ds Max. I did the steps which explained wangrin in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...x-for-Shogun-2 but now there is this error when I try to export the file as Equipment.CS2:

Problems were found in your Max file!! If problems were found with a weighted mesh, it is highly likely some verts have zero weights or have not been applied to a valid bone. To check this you can apply an animation in Max to the mesh. ...

But I think I have allocated my model to a bone (I made four lods, too and the model structure is like the structure from the CA).

Please help,
    Vikus
    Last edited by Vikus van de Merwe; December 22, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: How to import self-made 3d models into Shogun 2

Could you also post your .max model here, so it would be possible to check it.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Ok, I've exported the file into CS2 and replaced the equipment files in the modding folder.
    Now I wanted to run the game only to test that there are no errors.
    I only added my new model and exported it into CS2 so there are only these two different files.
    But with this files I can't start the game. Do you know what to do?

wangrin answered that I have to connect my model with the db tables... this is the next think I'll try. When anyone can explain this more detailed it would be nice!

Regards,
    Vikus

Hi Vikus,

the game cannot use CS2 files.first you have to convert them by using BOB.
    best is you put your cs2 file in the folder you installed Assembly Kit.
    put it into rawdata/art/battle/land/models/soldiers/variantmodels/unitparts/japan/equipment and overwrite the equipment.cs2 file.
    then you start bob,and then in rawdata Tab,go again to art/battle................/japan/equipment and select only (!!!) this equipment.cs2 file.
    then in workingdata Tab click on the box left from variantmodels,then check is the equipment.cs2 file activated,if yes,the next step is look below of that,and activate pack/create pack file.
    then click on start.next step is use the PackFileManager to open this pack,and export this converted file.it should find it into variantmodels/...../equipment but this time the name is no longer
    equipment.cs2,it is something like mesh1_variant_part_mesh . this file is your converted equipment-file ! and then you can edit the tables.

for testing your model i suggest you to make a backup of your project-data ( 3DSMax project max.file i think ),and in the TEST-project-file ( not the backup ) , you delete one of the standard-weapons
    and for your own model you use the name of this deleted standard-weapon.

rigid_equip_katanalod 1,2,3,4 for example.
    so you dont have to connect it to the tables for a simple test.......

Thank you, this is very helpful. Now the next questions: Where I have to put in the mesh1_variant_part_mesh and which tables I have to use?

Regards,
    Vikus

Patrician Artifex

Yep, the process to create models usable in game is :

3ds max 2010 + CS2 exporter plugin is used to create CS2 files.

CS2 files contains far more data than needed to create variant_part_mesh or rigid_model_v2 or etc.
    Moreover, several CS2 files can be create from a .max model, mostly based on .max layers.
    For example, you can have as many CS2 files as destruction level for a building model (destruct01, destruct02, etc.).
    Notes that CS2 files for building can contains data about EFlines, cannon place, collision model,etc.

CS2 files are processed by BoB to create all usable files related to model.
    For a building, it can be rigid_model_v2, cs2.parsed files, models_building tables (that contains EFlines data).

BoB create .pack files, but here they will only contains data related to models.
    To create new unit, importing new models, will probably require to use the Unit Editor.
    But I never use it as I focus in creating models.
    Last edited by wangrin; October 25, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Now I tried to pack the CS2 file but there is an error with ca_check_valid... Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Patrician Artifex

Can you post a screenshot ?

the following tables are the right ones:

warscape_equipment_collections
    warscape_equipment_items
    warscape_equipment_themes

are there are more tables to change? i dont know,because i dont made it before.
    i tested my weapon using my " test-method " i wrote about before.

and a screenshot would be helpful,because i never heard "ca_check_valid" before.........

Patrician Artifex

It's true for equipments, but it seems that units models use an other system.

I have Windows 8 and can't make screenshots in W8 windows. But this is the error:

t:\branches\shogun2\modders\common\calibs\include\CAVector.inl(552) :

ca_check_valid(m) Failed

Regards,
    Vikus

Hi Vikus,

come this error up in BOB?when you try to convert the cs2 ?
    generally i suggest you to use SpartanWarriors equipment.max file as a base,this file works definitely in game.
    errors like this can be the result if you use corrupted equipment.max files.

here are the link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ications/page2

Ohhh, yes, I think I found my error. I used my sword as an .obj. I read the other thread and as you say: .obj doesn't keep bones! So I'm going to try it with a .fbx file.

Regards,
    Vikus

Now I replaced the rigid_equip_nodachi_lod01 /02 /03 and 04 with my model. When I want to edit a nodachi unit now, the weapon is still the nodachi-sword. Have I to edit another unit?

i had the same problem before.it seems that the game will still use the equipment-file from the " models2.pack " ( the original models-pack) in game,and in the Unit Editor too.I dont really have a real solution for this problem,
    but a " Workaround " - Solution,for me this works in game,but the Unit Editor will crash......
    and here it is:

you cannot edit and save the original-models2.pack from the data folder of Shogun 2 with Pack File Manager.but you can export all the models inside of this pack,import it all in a new pack,and save it as models2.pack.

!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE A BACKUP OF MODELS2.pack BEFORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

so now you can edit your new models2.pack and save it.so now import your variant_part_mesh and save it. now try it in game.
    perhaps you find a better solution,if yes,let me know !

Thank you very much for your discription, manolops3!!! Here a first insight: (I have to make some improvements like textures or length of the sword, but here a first picture...)

Now my theory is that the kind of unit is only defined with the kind of weapon, so it means for example that a No-Dachi can look like a Yari-Samurai but is a No-Dachi, because he has the No-Dachi weapon. Now my next theory is that I can simply add new unit body parts which I can use in BOB later. So the key is the equipment model. When I can define a new weapon I can select a unit which is defined with my weapon. When I have done this I could simply select the body parts I added and the unit will be finished. Does someone know if my theories are correct? Some other questions: Can I add a seperate texture for my sword in the equipment.max file or won't it export this textures into CS2? And exist there model files of the different appearance of the units? Would be nice when someone can explain how to add new body part models, too.

Regards,
    Vikus

I searched in the models2.pack with the pack file manager and it seems that in this pack file are saved the many different unit parts. So when I'm right I have to make a new variant_part_mesh file which I have to integrate into the models2.pack. Then I think I can use my model in the unit editor...

Hi Vikus,

Congratulations !!! i know this is a great feeling in the heart of a modder.

and you right,a Nodachi Samurai can wear the exactly same unit parts as a Yari or Katana Samurai.
    you can change this in Unit Editor,and you can also load in the Unit Editor a Katana Samurai and click on "Save as" instead of "Save",and now you overwrite the Nodachi Samurai-variantmodel.
    the result is , when you close and open Unit Editor again,the Nodachi Samurai will still wields a Nodachi,but wear now the exactly same unit-part Combination as the Katana Samurai.

you can change the weapon type of a unit at the warscape_equipment_themes table.

but open the unit_stats_land_table first,and search the unit you want to edit.for example the Nodachi Samurai.
    when you want to change the weapon,check the equipment_theme Tab ! here it is shogun_infantry_nodachi.
    now you can close this table,and go to the warscape_equipment_themes table.
    under the theme Tab,go to shogun_infantry_nodachi,this is the theme you have to edit.and you can edit this by change the primary_weapon Tab.
    normally,it is shogun_nodachi,now choose the weapon you want,for example shogun_katana,then click apply,and the Nodachi Samurai wields a Katana now.

BUT : in this case in game this will look strangely,because the Nodachi Samurai use completely different animations in combat as a Katana Samurai.

and the unitparts,luckily,this is not so complicated.

here you dont need to change the models2.pack,you can put the variant_part_mesh files into a another pack file with the name of your choice.this will work in game.
    here the uniforms-table is the right one to edit.here the uniform-name is the uniform-name,the filename is the name of the unit-icon in game,the unit Tab connect the uniform and the icon
    to the right unit,the officer-filename is the name of the uniform just the officer of this unit wears.

for example:

Uniform_Name Tab: you write : Katana_Samurai_Tiger
    officer-filename Tab : you write : Katana_Samurai_Tiger

so when you open the Unit Editor when you scroll down and search there will be : Katana_Samurai_Tiger ( the uniform name )
    open it and now you will see no soldier,no armor but the weapons the unit use ( because the equipment_theme table tells the Editor which weapon to use ).
    now you can use the Editor to build up your unit part Combination,and if it is done,click on Save.now build up your officer and Save it.
    now when you look into the folder the changed Unit Part Combinations are into,there should be the following files:

Katana_Samurai_Tiger.soldier.unit_variant ( this is for the soldiers )
    Katana_Samurai_Tiger.officer.unit_variant ( the officer )

thats are the game-ready variantmodels.this two files you have to put into a pack-file,and thats it,this will work in game.

if you want to make your own unit-parts Models,you can use the equipment.max file you used before as a base again.
    but remove all objects,so only the skeleton is there.
    now you can import a helmet-model for example,i used for this the obj. format,
    make 4 versions of the model,or copy the one model ,so you have four.and rename it to WHATEVER_LOD1 , WHATEVER_LOD2 , WHATEVER_LOD3 , WHATEVER_LOD4, and connect them to the right
    bones.now export it as CS2 file . convert it with BOB,BOB will make a variant_part_mesh again.extract it into your Shogun2-data folder,i mean : ......../data/variantmodels/unitparts/japan/helmets/...............
    here you copy a existing folder,give it a unique name,and replace the variant_part_mesh file with your own file.now you can use it in the Unit Editor.

Regards

Thank you for the time spent on writing this text

Ok, I see, it's possible to add new unit parts. So to the tables: I have the option to add a new unit in the tables, haven't I? So is there any way not to change an existing model but to add a new weapon in the equipment file which I can add to the tables after that? In my opinion there must be a table where are defined the weapons I can select for example in the warscape_equipment_themes table. So is there any table where I can connect my added weapon of the equipment.max file to the other tables? And to the textures: For the unit parts I can make textures seperately, but in the equipment.max file: Can I add seperate textures, too or have I to edit the existing textures from the other models (there are textures not for each model but for the whole equipment file)?

Regards,
    Vikus

And another question to the unit parts: Have I to place the parts perfectly to the bones so there is no space between the different models later or can I place for example my head anywhere? So when I have to place the models perfectly it would be clever to add the whole figure and then delete parts, save, delete other parts, save and so on...

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast