Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone seen Hannibal Barca?

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Has anyone seen Hannibal Barca?

My Barcid campaign ended up with a very skilled and very ambitious young general around the same time named Hannibal Barca. Far too many good traits for it to be a coincidence. Never did end up fighting Rome though...
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post
    Nonsene. Shogun 2 has roughly all accurate historical family members appearing in birth order. This is just more randomly wonky crap that afflicts Rome 2.

Hamilcar and his son Hannibal Barca were leaders of Carthage, a Phoenician colony created by princess Alissar, the daughter of the king of Tyre, a Phoenician city-state.
    The culture of Carthage is Phoenician or (Punic) and NOT Hellenistic, as the game states! in fact, the Phoenicians were constantly at war with the Greeks over dominance of the Mediterranean sea, and later on at war with Rome.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

If that's a bot, then it's definitely the most realistic bot I've ever seen.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

As it was mentioned before the Carthaginians were not very creative with names. It seems every other guy was named either Hannibal, Hanno or Hamilcar, which sometimes presents difficulties to historians in telling who's who. For instance we aren't sure that one Hanno the Great lived to be 94, or that there were two consequent fellows sharing the name Hanno the Great. There were at least two generals in the First Punic War with the name Hannibal that I can recollect! The only way to distinguish an in-game Hannibal Barca with just some random Hannibal (who may or may not also be of the Barcid line) would be to create a special trait, or a pop-up window when that character becomes available. For example in Kingdoms, and in some of the mods, unique generals have a "biography" trait. Hovering over the trait gives info about that character's life and the significance he played in history.

I don't see why CA's game developers, who in some trailers, touted Hannibal appearing in the vanilla game prior to its release, couldn't have included a simple little feature which distinguishes famous historical figures from randomly generated characters. Playing Med 2 and even Napoleon again, I become more and more amazed at how bland and uninventive the campaign design is in this game compared to previous TW titles.
    Last edited by Carl Jung was right; May 21, 2015 at 09:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12