Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre-Columbian explorers in North America?

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Pre-Columbian explorers in North America?

Quote Originally Posted by carl-the-conqueror
    a team of historians sailed the atlantic in a reed boat, so egypt and similar culturs ccould have, portugese had been to india and the orient, so why not america, the phenacons rached liberia, the main way of sailling to brazil. i say why not, many historians agree that chrissy colombus was a portugese mercenary.
    Thor Heyerdahl was quite a facsinating eccentric, a great attribute to the world of historians, he even made a few impotrant explorations aswell, but in most of his work his theories were far fetched, wrong, and just using old thechnology (Rah 1 and 2) to sail around a bit doesn't really prove anything.

About the crossing of the Atlantic,

1. It isn't a short distance.
    2.The sea of the Atlantic is mean.
    3.You travel over open water.
    4. And most importantly, you have no idea that there is anything across the sea, after traveling for a while seing no land you might figure out that the only thing you are going to encounter is the edge of the world, and no land, the edge is not something you want to reach, as that would make you fall off the earth. There is no incentive to try to cross the Atlantic, unless you strongly believe that there is something (e.g. India) on the other side.
    GEIR HASUND!

By the way, though my avatar might indicate so, I am not a citizen of Germany, though my ancestry have a branch in this great nation.

Also although if the egytians could go accros the atlanitic, why would they try?

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

I have been recently doing research on Phoenicia for a school project, and have come across these "discovered America" stories. Places such as these:
    http://phoenicia.org/carthanewworld.html
    seem to have lots of "proof" of the matter, but i am still very skeptical. Vikings for sure, Phoenicians are improbable but not impossible, and Romans and Greeks? No way. The most likely candidate before Vikings are the Phoenicians, but they are still very unlikely. But, hey, thinking about Vikings in North America 100 years ago would've been blashphemey, so anything could happen!
    Last edited by Wolfcp11; October 01, 2006 at 03:52 PM.
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Wolfcp11

Phoenicians are improbable but not impossible, and Romans and Greeks? No way
    I am curious why do you to feel a Phoenician discovery of or voyage to, America is possible but not a Greek or Roman one?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa
    Thor Heyerdahl was quite a facsinating eccentric, a great attribute to the world of historians, he even made a few impotrant explorations aswell, but in most of his work his theories were far fetched, wrong, and just using old thechnology (Rah 1 and 2) to sail around a bit doesn't really prove anything.

About the crossing of the Atlantic,

1. It isn't a short distance.
    2.The sea of the Atlantic is mean.
    3.You travel over open water.
    4. And most importantly, you have no idea that there is anything across the sea, after traveling for a while seing no land you might figure out that the only thing you are going to encounter is the edge of the world, and no land, the edge is not something you want to reach, as that would make you fall off the earth. There is no incentive to try to cross the Atlantic, unless you strongly believe that there is something (e.g. India) on the other side.

im not saying they did, i said they could. i have read evidence that portugese sailed around africa, to india, but couldnt colonize it, as there population was only aboout 1 million, so they kept it a secret from the rest of the world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123