Thread: Medieval Knights

Icon1 Medieval Knights

Version: 28/09/2013

The aim of this work is to provide a basic knight model for further tweaking. These are intended to be 12th and up to early 13th century knights. You can notice that faceguards became prominent and slow transition to greathelms. Hauberks are the main part of armour and the shields are still quite big, but not as big as in 11th century. Also, surcoats became more prominent in this period, although plain chainmail was still quite popular. This will be part of the western medieval roster I plan to release as a visual overhaul of vanilla models.

There may be some minor glitches. The models include a variety of helmets, swords & scabbards, a hauberk, two surcoats, one cut on the sides (old style), the other in between legs (for mounted knights), two shields etc. Posted a tutorial explaining how to achieve better normal maps, like on this model, in few simple steps: Tutorial 04: Multi-layered Normal Maps.

The download includes:

- 1 .ms3d model file
    - 4 .dds texture files
    - 2 original .psd files (i used some patterns, not sure if they will load fine, let me know if they won't)

NOTE: the .ms3d file contains 26-bone skeleton used by GOAT v1.1. Use the same tool to convert to .mesh. Otherwise the model won't work or will have bone-assignment issues.

Usage Policy The community can use these open source materials wherever they want, as long as they do not claim the work for themselves. Also, I would really appreciate, if you provide some credit and post links to your works. Well, I leave that to your discretion.

In pursuit of higher quality modifications
    Sandy

Last edited by G|I|Sandy; June 15, 2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added a tutorial link and a note regarding ms3d mesh conversion

Default Re: Medieval Knights

help,.....i use the mesh2ms3d-fileconverter to turn your MS3D FILE TO a MESH FILE ,but it not worked in game ......if i export your MS3D FILE to a OBJ FILE,and inport the OBJ FILE,it can work ,but all the sekeleton informations were lost ....

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Sandy this is a wonderfull result!
    Bravo!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

part of the western medieval roster I plan to release ;great work !hope your work is goin good.

great ! cool knights

See more about Tierra Santa TW and other projects in Discord
    Join the official Discord server of the mod: https://discord.gg/u6VFKgDzpX
    Download TSTW here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/tierra-santa-tw-mod
    Rise of Quetzal TW (WIP) in https://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-quetzal-tw

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. +rep

Excellent work and great contribution! +rep

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I love the works of GeMiNi][SaNDy and I admit that his tutorials have inspired the "ripples" in the clothes of my version of 12th century knights.

But with what's in all I think mine are better.

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

Lookin' good.

'Tis very good.

Does this have plate upgrades?
    Last edited by SuperTechmarine; February 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM.

Domesticus

Congratulations!

Great material!

Glad that these models are of use. In fact, these models are quite outdated. I would suggest to check out the Western Unit Overhaul (link in my sig). It contains a lot more variations of knights, including plate armour. There are also plenty of other units ranging from peasants to mercenaries and knights. All sorts of shields, armour pieces, weapons etc can be used in different combinations in other mods. I believe i included the source .psd files (hopefully working as intended), where colors can be changed with a few clicks in layer styles -> easy to incorporate into other mods.

Sandy

Looking nice, i'll download and try it for my submod. Thx man, u made our modding easier!

These are super old. I did them as part of my learning of Milkshape and texturing. Go to Western Unit Overhaul in my sig. There are 50+ units. Although parts-wise only about 10-12. The rest are swaps and duplicates.

Sandy

This is amazing