Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dacian and Thracian Unit Mod (Updated 11/8/2013 rebalanced and new unit textures and variants)

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Dacian and Thracian Unit Pack (updated vanilla balance)

Is there something wrong with the download as Mozilla comes up with an invalid file and chrome says the file has been removed?

The images are broken?

Patrician

No the images are fine just click on the jpg hyperlinks above the show buttons.

Civis

Hey guys, really sorry about the long absence. Real life took control in a storm of university exams my car ending it's 9 year career. Here's what I'm up to/my plans for the future of this mod. A lot of it will depend on what I hear back from you as I am really making this primarily for the community as I have my own personal mod separate.

So lately I've been messing with the variantmesh files more and have gotten a good hand on recoloring specific units and creating specific variants for each different unit. What I would like to do with this is give the units in my pack all their own unique color scheme. Now as I have it currently set up where each faction recruits them from their respective barracks that would mean a lot of re-colors. So what I would like to do have the Dacians, Tylis, Triballi, and Thracians be able to recruit some of each others units by means of their own barracks as Killergold88 laid out, (thanks for that, I rather enjoy that set up) and set up a few of the units as mercenaries for when you take over the Thracian and Dacian regions. Otherwise I would try to do it as an aor, where any faction that conquers the Dacian and Thracian regions can recruit some of the units through their own barracks system.

As far as new units, I do have the costobocii axemen and elite falx infantry done, the daoi elite infantry is left that I can think of. I believe I saw another mod recently that added some spear units to the Thracians and I will add a link to that on the OP when I update next. So far other than that crawe1 has a good list that I will look at here and try to implement what he's found. Basically I would like the origin of the units to be rooted in history with some physical evidence of their equipment or at least literary and for them to have some unique properties as to make them more relevant in a game aspect.

That's the plan for the next update, now that I have some time, I'll be getting back to actually working on it. I also checked the mediafire link just a couple minutes ago and it is currently still up. Shouldn't be any issues getting to it.

One question, there is another thracian unit pack here within the forums, made by Gavitron I believe, that I would love to use alongside this one, but they weren't compatible when I attempted to load them together. Can anyone else confirm this as well? Is it because the other mod is also a retexture and unit pack mod?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD87 View Post
    One question, there is another thracian unit pack here within the forums, made by Gavitron I believe, that I would love to use alongside this one, but they weren't compatible when I attempted to load them together. Can anyone else confirm this as well? Is it because the other mod is also a retexture and unit pack mod?
    I tried out both mods together - at the time, they loaded up just fine for me and worked in custom battle (didn't try a campaign though). This was about a week ago, long before the patch 4 beta came out, so not sure if that has had an effect.

@Agent2P, glad you're back. Really looking forward to seeking the new units! The link to the other mod is:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ack-amp-Reskin

He's done some great work. Only problem is that it's only balanced for vanilla, not Radious. Between the two of you, you're really fleshing out the Thracian/Dacian rosters. Keep up the great work!

Given that it's one of the coolest and most unique rosters of the period, I don't know why CA didn't make at least one of them a playable faction right from the get-go - I remember they were both available in RTW.

Quote Originally Posted by crawe1 View Post
    I tried out both mods together - at the time, they loaded up just fine for me and worked in custom battle (didn't try a campaign though). This was about a week ago, long before the patch 4 beta came out, so not sure if that has had an effect.
    I can't seem to get the other mod to show up. Granted, I'm using Radious mods as well, but only Agent2P's shows and the other is always missing. I prefer Agent's, but would like to use them both, as Thrace is one of my favorite factions.

Civis

@crawe1, Thanks for the link and unit ideas. I really like all 4 units, with the Dii swordsmen, would you happen to know by chance if they are the same reference Roma Surrectum II used for their Daoi Elite Infantry? If so I will probably use that as a base and not make multiple units, if not I have found another page that gives some description of them and base them off of that. The other 3 are pretty straight forward and shouldn't be terribly difficult to put together. Glad to see a marine based unit. Can't wait to get started. I might have to give Gavitron a pm and see what we can do.

My mod still needs some work. I'm currently redoing it with some more units. I'll do what I can to make sure it's compatible with this mod as well.

@Agent2P, That's great! Looking forward to seeing the units. Not sure about the Daoi Swordsmen. I played Roma Surrectum I but not II. If if was a Thracian style unit (as opposed to a Dacian style), then yes, I'd guess it's probably the same as the Dii warriors. Here are a couple of examples of what I'd imagine they look like:

Some other cool images I came across, which may help with inspiration :

And my favorite:

@gavitron, Excellent, really looking forward to seeing what comes next. I think you and Agent2P should definitely compare notes - between you guys I think the whole Thracian/Dacian sphere is going to be really well covered. This was my one problem with RTW - I don't remember there being any really good standalone unit packs for these cultures, which was a real shame. You're both doing great work. I think I'll have to stall my Odrysian/Dacian campaigns for a little while, just so that when I do play I have all the new and upcoming units!

Just tried loading them together and you're right - they don't work together. I must have loaded them one at a time when I last did it.

My latest version should be compatible - I was able to start the game and start a campaign, and both mod's units showed up in the custom battle screen. My old saves aren't compatible so I wasn't able to test it much further than that at the moment, but do let me know if anyone has problems. There will probably end up being some redundancy between the mods, as I'm designing mine to be primarily standalone, and I may up with some similar units to this one, but I don't think a little variety ever hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gavitron View Post
    My latest version should be compatible - I was able to start the game and start a campaign, and both mod's units showed up in the custom battle screen. My old saves aren't compatible so I wasn't able to test it much further than that at the moment, but do let me know if anyone has problems. There will probably end up being some redundancy between the mods, as I'm designing mine to be primarily standalone, and I may up with some similar units to this one, but I don't think a little variety ever hurt anyone.
    Excellent, will check out the new stuff, and yes, variety is good! ;-)

It would be awesome is you and Gravitron combined together to make an overhaul of the Dacian/Thracian area.

Just a suggestion, though.

pls do it

Patrician

I also checked the mediafire link just a couple minutes ago and it is currently still up.
    Agent2p, I still can't get your mod. Not with IE, Safari, Firefox or Chrome, I always get connect connect to mediafire server, or cannot find this file when I click the download link.

Civis

I'm literally just about to update the mod here, give me about 20 min. to get all the pictures and new info on the OP and I will be making a new link for the file and we can see if that works, if not I'll try another hosting site. Sorry for the issues.

Default Re: Dacian and Thracian Unit Mod (Update 2: 5 New Units, Vanilla Thracian and Dacian Units Redone, Thracian Officers and Generals redone)

Love the new units! I think the Dii and the Elite Falx are particularly cool. Now thanks to you and gavitron we've got two absolutely great and unique-feeling Thracian unit packs.

Default Re: Dacian and Thracian Unit Mod (Update 2: 5 New Units, Vanilla Thracian and Dacian Units Redone, Thracian Officers and Generals redone)

By the way, the new link seems to be working just fine.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast