Thread: Suggestion: Savaran Knights or Ghulluns of the Mazandaran Malikate

Default Suggestion: Savaran Knights or Ghulluns of the Mazandaran Malikate

Hi, I begin this post to suggest the possible look of one of the units of the Mazandaran Malikate. Of course with the little information that I have found about the armies of Mazandaran and Tabarestan during this period (altough there are many information about the buyids and the deilamite infantry), it seems that in the sassanid heir principalities of Tabarestan and Mazandaran was mantained the tradition of the savaran or ghulluns (of this least apart of the name of this type heavy armoured knights of Mazandaran I did not found any information about them).

Here a referece about the arms of the Deilamite, from the excelente page of the teacher Kaveh Farrokh:

"What is very interesting about Dailamite arms is that (despite being infantry), they were armed with the same weapons as the Sassanian Elite Cavalry (the Savaran)..."

Link: http://www.kavehfarrokh.com/iranica/...rthern-persia/

On other hand I read that the close helm of the sassanids or "Bayda" (Egg Helm), which appears represented in the reliefs of the king Khusro II in Taq-i-Bostan, continued in use for many centuries in the islamic world, unlees until the the late of the fourteen century.

So I think that could be possible to include a unit of heavily armoured persians knights, which would have a symilar look to the old sassanid savaran or that would have some of their equiptment (like the bayda and the armoured horses) for the Mazadaran roster.

Finally this only is a suggestion so if anybody has more detailed information about the armies of Mazandaran please post it here. I am very interested about this theme.

Here some pictures of this type of helm and the possible aspect of these savaran of Mazandaran:

A heavily horse archer or maybe a savaran

A persian cavalryman of the X century

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; September 26, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

Default Re: Suggestion: Savaran Knights or Ghulluns of the Mazandaran Malikate

A very good and informative post! Thank you. It would make for an interesting addition to the unit rosters. Mods like this make for a very good lesson(s) in history indeed.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Default Re: Suggestion: Savaran Knights or Ghulluns of the Mazandaran Malikate

Yeah, we've been thinking about giving the Bavandids Persian characteristic. Thanks for suggestion, Rampante-Cid.

Under the patronage of m_1512