View Poll Results: What about you

Voters
814. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you still enjoy and play this game?

346 42.51%
  • Have you stopped playing for: Bugs campaign

165 20.27%
  • Have you stopped playing for: Bugs BAI

224 27.52%
  • Have you stopped playing for: peformance issues

216 26.54%
  • Have you stopped playing for: Bugs CAI

175 21.50%
  • Have you stopped playing for: Bugs multiplayer

51 6.27%
  • Have you stopped playing for: dropped MP avatar

46 5.65%
  • Have you stopped playing for: dropped features

291 35.75%
  • Have you stopped playing for: Do not like the Roman time

14 1.72%
  • Have you stopped playing for: other reasons (real life etc)

75 9.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: How many are still playing RTWII?

Default Re: How many are still playing RTWII?

I have not stopped playing the game because I only occasionally play it since release (about 40 hours total).
    This game will defiantly get me entertained for couple of years, especially when the first major mods appear.
    I'm still playing Medieval TW2 because of mods... its one of my favorite games.

The only thing that I do dislike is the fact that the MP avatar has been removed as it has been one of the things that I liked about Shogun 2.
    ..but that is defiantly not stopping me from enjoying the game... those AI-Issues which not have been addressed yet, will be fixed in the future, for sure.
    Rome 2 has the biggest scope of any Total War game yet, which means it is most likely very hard for the devs to track down each individual bug.

The constant complains on TWC show me that the gaming community has changed and I can see it on sites like Metacritic as well.
    I guess I am part of a dying-out gamer generation who are thankful for certain games that developers are creating. Games like Rome2 are very rare these days.
    Its a shame... the fact that Rome2 already supports modding and has a pack manager does get totally disregarded among all those haters.
    Last edited by YassirX; October 24, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Gave up trying to enjoy this back in mid-September. I'm sure you'll all let me know if it's ever safe again to go back in the water.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    I have not stopped playing the game because I only occasionally play it since release (about 40 hours total).
    This game will defiantly get me entertained for couple of years, especially when the first major mods appear.
    I'm still playing Medieval TW2 because of mods... its one of my favorite games.

The only thing that I do dislike is the fact that the MP avatar has been removed as it has been one of the things that I liked about Shogun 2.
    ..but that is defiantly not stopping me from enjoying the game... those AI-Issues which not have been addressed yet, will be fixed in the future, for sure.
    Rome 2 has the biggest scope of any Total War game yet, which means it is most likely very hard for the devs to track down each individual bug.

The constant complains on TWC show me that the gaming community has changed and I can see it on sites like Metacritic as well.
    I guess I am part of a dying-out gamer generation who are thankful for certain games that developers are creating. Games like Rome2 are very rare these days.
    Its a shame... the fact that Rome2 already supports modding and has a pack manager does get totally disregarded among all those haters.
    Actually we should make a difference between haters and complainers.

Haters same as fanboys will defend their position even without any arguments or already invalid arguments.

E.g. people hating Steam because they cannot resell their software at the moment will still hate Steam for the same reason even when things have changed.

Both fanboys and haters views are fixed and are unlikely subject to change and their views are exaggerated by love and hope (Rome 2 is good and small issues can be fixed with few patching and modding) or either hate (Rome 2 is bad and crap without pointing out the potentials, giving up hope before it is reasonable to do)

Complainers:
    People are disappointed and defend their view until things are properly fixed.

You should commit that haters aren't the majority creating and maintaining complaint threads.

People are upset because broken system performance cut features and game breaking bugs not because individual bugs.

CA evidently did no QA on Rome even reintroduced 2 bugs which were already fixed in Shogun 2! No much reasons to cheer them for that . The number of factions and the campaign map grew so that's why it is forgivable ?
    Last edited by alQamar; October 24, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Gave up trying to enjoy this back in mid-September. I'm sure you'll all let me know if it's ever safe again to go back in the water.
    There are still some annoying things but overall its a big improvement from vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    NO.

The only truly new features with RTW2 are naval + land battles and the fact you can agree on a target with an ally. that`s it.

Everything is such a big backwards step that MTW2 and STW2 beats it easily and even Empire runs an equal race, which is a major shame.
    Leading my triremes in a tactical battle was my dream, but transport fleets make from this feature a nightmare. Worse, its completly make the evolution of factions quite ahistorical...There are enough posts on it. Don't want really to back on this point, but...after 100 hours pasted on this game, I start to really miss the A.I behavior profiles from MTW2 that make the fleets pretty much more reserved to factions which historically were naval ones.
    This is the ruin of the mediterranean area in term of gameplay, its just make me leave my campaign about after 50 years(playing 4TY, but further I've adopted rather 2TY)

I stopped playing RII as I haven't noticed any velleity of change from C.A after patch 5.

I don't play until a big performance update is made or a solution found for fps drops. I want to play big battles which is impossible for most of the players by now.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by CaileanMac View Post
    There are still some annoying things but overall its a big improvement from vanilla.
    What is? Or do you mean the patches have improved the game since mid-September. Can you be more specific?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Dropped features are not some that were advertised but part of the predecessor Rome 1Here are some http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...nt-from-Rome-1
    There are some real losses there and some of the things that have arguably been replaced by better alternatives. The bulk seems to concern things that have limited impact on gameplay. On the other hand, certainly compared to Rome I, the campaign gameplay is very much improved and that, to me anyway, was the Achilles' heel of Rome I, that no amount of modding could fix. So, I'm prepared to be more forgiving about "dropped features", especially the ones that are just for show. I'm more concerned about things in the game that don't work as CA themselves must have intended. At the moment, my list of problems with the game would be:- Lack of unit cohesion- Siege AI - Player units behaving counter-intuitively on walls- Internal faction politics (So far, it to me to be completely irrelevant)
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

How do you personally see the campaign gameplay improved over Rome 1?
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    How do you personally see the campaign gameplay improved over Rome 1?
    A small, spontanious new gameplay features list compare to rome 1 in my opinion:
    (if you want to play the game how you like it make sure to adjust it that way or use the right mods)

- stances [tactical]
    - limited legions [tactical]
    - provinces [tactical], [motivation]
    - import/export resources [tactical], [motivation]
    - alliance win (useful satrapies, client states) [tactical]
    - raiding trade routes [tactical]
    - raiding provinces (also in stances) [tactical]
    - actual physics (shield, mass)
    - possibility to directly attack a city from the sea [tactical]
    - capture points in sieges [tactical]
    - senat representatives are under your command and also from different families
    - huge feedback on diplomacy not just from your own faction to others but of all the faction network
    - deep dimplomatic impact due to all actions [tactical]
    - legion attributes (they are not nameless soldiers)
    - limited building space per region [tactical]
    - techtree in addition to the building tree
    - unmounting
    - choice for general unit [tactical]
    - choice for general family/position [tactical]
    - line of sight [tactical]
    - traps ... [tactical]
    - realistic trade (only to factions you have connection to)

just what suddenly came into my mind, I am sure there is more that I do not think of right now

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I hear people talking of "dropped" or "lost" features. What features were dropped? I've followed the rally point episodes and I don't recall any features that they promised would be in but aren't? I know there's a couple of features that were in previous TW games and aren't now, but that's a different matter. We were never promised those features would return and in some cases were told explicitly they wouldn't.

I don't mean to be splitting hairs, but it seems to me there are a variety of different issues people have with the game and they get all jumbled up in an amorphous mass of negativity. That's not helpful for a discussion and it certainly won't make CA take complaints more seriously. If you want that, you have to isolate specific elements of the game that are broken or comment on design decisions that meant features were changed, replaced or omitted. Not sweep them all on one pile, together with the botched release, and make all sorts of generalised complaints about CA. Yes, it's a mess they created themselves, but unless you enjoy ranting and raving, there's nothing to be gained from keeping on hyping the rage.

If you want a powerful and practical statement towards CA, then rally people behind one issue at a time.
    Totally agree with this, after all, this is how Mod Tools were achieved for Shogun, there was huge lobbying and a single concerted effort to getting CA to help the community mod there warscape engine, and the reason why CA will potentially make more Moding tools for Rome 2. That was a good cause to fight for, and i can see how my joint actions with fellow member in the past helped presuade CA that mod tool were more then needed, and imo, mod tools gave us the ability to improve/tinker CA's game for ourselves.

But yep, a month prior to this, these forums were a mess, with most reponses/post in threads resulting to potty language, which generally dragged down the level of conversation, and is one of the reasons i can't be bothered anymore.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

It is hard to understand aside using potty language why it should be the modders task to rescue a bugged game. Your expectations and the modders work in all respect but nodding does not mean bug fixing but alter and optimising existing and working game play.

To hope modders will do a proper Rome 2 is unrealistic at the very as they cannot decompile the game and finally fix issues it suffer since years.
    Think about it please.

I really cannot stand yours point of views ad I know it will not happen at a point as it technically cannot happen so please stop people to draw to the side of those stop complaining. We cannot afford CA will stop to patch it. The current patches did not address major issues except improving turn time and campaign AI

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well even though Craig put up a thread for features that we`d like in the next Total War, Time Heaton decided he`d just listen to Metacritic instead. So he made RTW2 by cold hard numbers, destroying creativity.

Result: broken bland game that got great 1-2 hour plays Reviewer scores. Idiotic.
    Totally agree. Just like an engineering company should be led by engineers, a gaming company should be led by gamers.

This shows that the decision of what the actual design of the game will be is not even in the hands of game designers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    A small, spontanious new gameplay features list compare to rome 1 in my opinion:
    (if you want to play the game how you like it make sure to adjust it that way or use the right mods)

- stances [tactical]
    - huge feedback on diplomacy not just from your own faction to others but of all the faction network
    - unmounting
    - traps ... [tactical]

just what suddenly came into my mind, I am sure there is more that I do not think of right now
    Yes. Most of this is enough for me to overcome whatever dissatisfaction I have with the game. Not to say that all these features works satisfactorily but having those features themselves is great. Some of these I can only dream of when modding RTW years ago.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; October 25, 2013 at 01:41 AM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Just to add ....

A very simple reason...

Skipping all bugs , dropped features , disapointment in historicity , the streamlineing of the gameplay , the wrong campaign gameplay decisions etc. Etc...

I just do not like the look of the game .

Its unpolished , rough , rushed , and honestly not even remotely comparable to the magnificent work do e with Shogun 2.
    The units there might even have had less poygons compared to rtw2 ones according to what was said , but honestly I cant see the use of those ingame. To me most of the units are just ugly combos of some armor types, the colors are eyestriking oversaturated, the balancement rodteer too forced and unhistorical , the clipping of meshes , and rough work on most units denote the rush taken to pump them out in time, and finally they are o way as detailed , beautifull , varied and shiny as the samurai done for Stw2 ....
    Simple but true . The overall work and quality had dropped a lot and is reflected ingame.

I loaded rw2 again to check the new nomad pack....

The first thing I noticed was the striking yellow color , then the bad rigging of some vertices on some units causing stretches and unwanted extrusions , then that most if the units looked the same with a minimal recycle of already made stuff ...

I quitted the game after 5 minutes inspection and testing .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

- stances [tactical]
    - unmounting
    - traps ... [tactical]

Most of these is especially countered. Easily. In fact STW and MTW did most of these things without even going onto RTW then MTW2. when I can be bothered i`ll strip this down and show you why, but for the effort I am not inclined to right now since I know i`ll get the same waffle from guys who can`t see anything bad about RTW2.

Haven't touched it since release mainly because it bored me to start with even ignoring performance issues and bugs. The city animations on the campaign map and ever expanding city sizes i just see as a pointless exercise merely adding extra load onto an engine that can't cope, they should have left the expanding cityscape to the battle maps only as it's just an endless series of city fights as there isn't any distance between them.
    I will try it out again now that various patches are in place but playing Rome 1 Darthmod has been a much more enjoyable experience.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Most of these is especially countered. Easily. In fact STW and MTW did most of these things without even going onto RTW then MTW2. when I can be bothered i`ll strip this down and show you why, but for the effort I am not inclined to right now since I know i`ll get the same waffle from guys who can`t see anything bad about RTW2.
    I have no clue why you would want to counter my personal oppinion. There is absolutly no need for that. This list is my personal (not complete) list about features that I like in R2 and would not find in R1. Simple as that.

Naked Emperor's Avatar Centenarius

I have quit playing after playing for 200 hours. I'm going to wait for 3-4 months and see if the siege A.I gets fixed and what modders come up with. I have enough games to keep me occupied in the meantime
    No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy
    - Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard von Moltke -

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

- stances [tactical]
    - unmounting
    - traps ... [tactical]

Indeed, and not to mention that many of these elements are not isolated features but features that influence eachother and, above all, that the AI seems to have some understanding of.

I think it starts with the limited number of armies and navies. As I expand, it gets harder and harder to free up armies for conquest. I find I have to use fleets in support of garrisons in many places. I am dependent on diplomacy and agent action to protect exposed flanks and sometimes I fail to close the gap in time. It also means that even small factions can survive into the late game, whereas in Rome I, you'd end up with a couple of big empires and war would devolve in swimming upstream against a river of stack after stack of the same enemy.

That alone is a big difference IMHO: the RTW AI did not seem to have a great variety of strategic options to choose from, or it always chose to do the same thing: If you're the enemy it would send an endless stream of armies to attack you, regardless of their chances of succeeding. In Rome II it clearly considers more options and it makes decisions which, though they may not count as brilliant strategic insight, at least make sense.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thanks for all your posts and keep this thread alive. Could it really be we reach the 600 votes ?! Come get some