Page 1 of 68 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: BullGod Unit Icons Project v.0.48 (updated 6/Apr/2014)

Icon2 BullGod Unit Icons Project v.0.48 (updated 6/Apr/2014)

BUIP

Have a question? Check the F.A.Q. at the end of that post. Maybe it was asked (and answered) before.

First of all let me say that I really like vanilla Rome 2 unit cards. There seems to be a lot of hatered towards those. I actually hate screenshot unit cards (seriously, I despise them) and those stylized unit cards are step in right direction in my opinion, although this simplistic style has it's drawbacks and sometimes its hard to quickly distinguish those units.
    Anyway, I got little bored with them and decided to give it a go and try to make my own. I enjoyed making them for Shogun 2, so I thought it would be fun. And it is, although making all unit cards might prove to be quite fatiguing task, considering how many there are.

Those icons are hand drawn by me (at first I thought it's obvious, but maybe it's not that obvious).
    What follows is short description how it's done (some people ask, so here it is):
    I use graphic tablet (Pentagram, if it matters... it doesn't), Photoshop, PC mouse and Paint.Net if I work on my netbook, as it's sufficient to work on png files "pixelart style".
    I usually draw them 2X the scale of orginal when I begin. Free hand drawing in vanilla scale is difficult, because those icons are too small, and bigger ones would not make too much sense either, as most of the work put in them would be wasted after resizing anyway. I draw them in layers and try to keep the drawing as much modular as possible, to use it on the next unit.

I resize them later and usually work on the details then, as it serves as something like underpainting. Faces, hands, all kinds of small things, (outlines also) need to be reworked, as it usually is a blurry mess after resizing. Because there's not many pixels to work on, any line that's not ideally diagonal, horizontal, or vertical starts to look distorted. It can be worked around by using all kinds of shades to trick the eye, but it's harder to achieve.

Sometimes I draw them in vanilla scale. Like the savage dog icon (the one at the bottom of this post) I've made as a test to see if I can do it that way.
    Here's a picture of some early version of skirmisher made like that:

I'm not sure why I post this "drawing", but maybe someone will find it interesting.
    I of course use some of the picture parts later, as it doesn't make sense to draw a helmet (f.ex) again, if I have one that works perfectly.
    If you're interested, here's also the link to my Shogun 2 Icon mod thread:

I've started this mod, because I simply like doing things like that, and sometimes it's more fun than game itself.
    I'm sharing this, cause I hope someone might like it and it seems like a waste of effort to let them rot on my HD.

I hope to be able to update this mod once in a while.
    Now, the mod itself...

Some (most) of unit icons made so far:
    Germans:

Iberians:

Romans:

Italians:

Carthage:

Celts

previous version:

Britons

Greeks:

some of the above changed a little:

Eastern:

rest of eastern units is below, in "unsorted" category for now.

Thracians:

Illyrians:

Arabian:

Bactria:

Unsorted mess:

Pontus, that icludes unit icons for both greek and eastern factions

other unit icons that are not grouped in cultures yet

artillery

Elephants

MediaFire DOWNLOAD link with latest version

Installation instructions:

After downloading, you'll get zip file, containing DATA folder with two "pack" files and "UI" folder with loose icon files.

If you want to use MOD type file, extract only "MOD_bullgod_icons_Rome.pack" into your Rome2/Data folder and activate in mod manager (official CA tool) before playing.

If you're experiencing problems with MOD type file (crashing, incompatible versions during online games, etc.), you might want to try MOVIE type, that doesn't need to be activated in mod manager (You'll not even see it there).

If you want o use "MOVIE" type file, extract "MOD_bullgod_icons_Rome_movie.pack" into your Rome2/Data folder.

Basically, choose just one version of pack file.

If you experience problems with the mod (CTD), you might want to extract loose files also.
    This way you should have file "MOD_bullgod_icons_Rome_movie.pack" (as it's probably unnecessary to have loose file along with MOD type version) inside Rome2/Data folder and there should be Rome2/data/UI/Units/icons folder created with all my icons inside and Rome2/data/UI/Units/mask folder with the same number of files.

To uninstall:

Uncheck in mod manager and remove everything you've previously unzipped. Don't forget to remove loose files from Data/UI/Units folder (Delete Units subfolder only)

Additional Links:
    Unit icons for Radious unit packs for those who use my mod and Radious' together made by others:
    1. Tostig's Mod
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Mod-%28v0-1%29
    2. Raguen's Mod
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...le-for-Radious

Unit Icons for DeI (Divide et Impera) Overhaul by Carreto :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ards-for-D-e-I

Roman Archers Unit Packs
    by Chieftain John K.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...29-Patch-8-8-1

F.A.Q.

Because there are questions that seem to repeat themselves in comments or PMs, I wanted to answer them upfront:

1. I'm planning to make icons for all units in game. That's the plan. We'll see what life thinks about it.
    2. It should be compatible with any other mod that doesn't change unit cards, because it only replaces vanilla pictures (no conflict with Radious mods has been reported).
    3. I don't plan to make unit cards for any mod until I finish modding vanilla. This means that this mod does not have unit cards for Radious mods included (at least at this moment). Check Additional Links above if you use Radious mod and my unit icons.
    4. If you like my mod and wish to use it in your project I don't see why not. Just credit me, link my mod as a source and if you'll modify those icons - state that you did. I don't want to take credit for what you did with them, especially if you'll ruin my work Also, would be nice to let me know via PM, or in this thread that you're using them.
    5. This is solo project. I don't think I would know how to cooperate with someone else on this. If someone would made great icon as a part of this project I would hate him for that. If someone would make crappy one, I would hate myself (Or the other way around - I'm not sure).
    6. It's not going to Steam Workshop. I'm not uploading it there and don't you do it too, please. Why? Many reasons. I was babbling about that somewhere further down the thread, so search if you're curious. If you value your mental health, you should forget it though, because reading those parts is like reading a manuscript from R'lyeh. Many people have lost their minds.
    Last edited by BullGod; April 06, 2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: update

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Default Re: BullGod Unit Icons project

I loved your shogun 2 unit cards and was hoping you would do Rome 2. These are looking great.

I was neutral on the default unit cards the whole time, but I must say I do prefer this style over the vanilla one. Great job!

You draw these yourself? They look great!

Making these for every unit in the game would be a very daunting task.

These look great. I can't wait to see them for all units.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

By the GODS! These are fantastic, here have some rep. You bloody well deserve it.

I made this for you:

If you want me to remove it just tell me
    Last edited by Greve Af Göteborg; September 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Very nice mate. are you going to do it for all playable factions

They look nice
    I'm doing my own cards bit by bit, I don't personally like the "ancient" flavored vanilla ones.

MaxMazi's Avatar Back in the game!

Totally agree with you, default cards are looking great, i have my own project of colored default unit cards, but i want to encourage you to continue, because i know what hard task this is.

They are looking great, will totally check your progress. +rep
    Proud son of Louis Lux
    My Gallery / My workshop

Your mod is not working it make's my game crash.....But these do look great.

Your mod make my game crash.....Not sure what is wrong but I look forward to using these...

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Those look amazing. I like the new vanilla ones too, but I like these too as much... I'll give these a shot to see how they look in-game.

+rep ofcourse.

EDIT: They seem to cause crash for me too, could this interfere with other mods?
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; September 25, 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Holy jesus! I think we got a winner now.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They work for me, do you guys have any other mods installed?

Btw, the unit cards in the encyclopedia does not change to the new unit cards.
    Last edited by Greve Af Göteborg; September 25, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Was waiting on a unit card from you. Your shogun ones were my favourite by far, good schtuff.
    Last edited by agent 47; September 25, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Yeah, I recently installed Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.4] with beta-patch3, and couple smaller mods, could STIM interfere with it?

Haikka's Avatar Foederatus

Fantastic work!

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Wooaah ! It's beautiful !

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I like the default Vanilla ones, but these look really nice! I'll check 'em out once you get more factions fleshed out with it!

Godspeed and +rep
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Wow, these look superb, really beautiful.
    Currently following these promising mods - Imperia Antiquitatis by Splenyi
    Traits, Talents, and Toadies
    by Hellbent
    Real Roman Reforms
    by Aodh Mor
    Unit Icons project
    by Bullgod
    Also recommended:
    City Sack, Liberation and Diplomatic Options
    by Dresden

Page 1 of 68 12345678910112651 ... LastLast