Thread: Tool to set the Intermediate Mod Type

Default Tool to set the Intermediate Mod Type

There's a problem with R2's modding engine right now; modders are advised to set mod type to "5".
    This cannot be done via the PackFileManager, and I will not include it in the time being because as CA stated, this is a non-standard pack type we should not use.

Here's a little tool to do that anyway.

1. select "Yes" if you want to change to the intermediate type of 5.
    Files with the mod type 5 cannot be opened by the PFM, so if you want to be able to edit them, choose "No" here to change it back.

2. choose the file you want to set the type for.

It will keep asking you for files, just cancel when you're finished.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; September 25, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Default Re: Tool to set the Intermediate Mod Type

If you don't mind me asking, what is the problem with the mods, I would check but I'm at work.

Thanks for the tool daniu.
    Perhaps, with the constantly increasing wave of mods incoming every day, it would be a good idea to beg all the modders to use the god damn modmanager and mod.pack files.
    I don´t understand why the modmanager and mod.pack files are rather unpopular, despite all the advantages the modmanger offers.

Senator

If we ask CA to either tell us how to change control of regions and provinces (including garrisons and provincial edicts) won't they tell us sooner or later? And if they say it can't be done ask them to make a mod tool to allow it to be, or change the programme so one can be made?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

It didn't work for me. I used the tool, changed the file (the PFM doesn't read it so I guess it's right), put it in the data folder, checked my script to make sure it's there... and it didn't work.

Here are the files, both the type3 pack and the type 5 pack in case Daniu or someone wants to check what's wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

ANy help?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Admins make this thread sticky please!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    Admins make this thread sticky please!
    Thread Stuck. After patch 5 is released this will be unstuck.

Will I need to use this to edit already made mods using the PFM? Or if the pack is already made am I good to go?

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Azikiel View Post
    Will I need to use this to edit already made mods using the PFM? Or if the pack is already made am I good to go?
    Any mod distributed on TWC should work with no user interaction past installation. This tool is for mod creators, not users
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Any mod distributed on TWC should work with no user interaction past installation. This tool is for mod creators, not users
    Well... unless, of course, the mod author is unaware of the bug .

There are a number of mods sitting idle for weeks. Those likely have other issues regarding patch 3 (or beta 4) compatibility and balance, but the tool is certainly useful for people who want to experiment with dormant work. Aeimnestus' naval mod comes to mind... I would imagine there are others.

It would also be good to mention here that mod manager won't recognize type5 packs and users need to make a manual entry to user.script.txt (if it doesn't already exist).

I am confused as to the exact problem, because both Mod and Movie types work for me. I realize Movie isn't supposed to be what mods use, it just happened to work. But, it does indeed work it just causes conflicts.

With Mod Manager and setting to Mod type in PFM, I am able to load mods in various priorities. I am confused as to what isn't working, because it seems like my mods are working correctly. Any help or explanation is appreciated, I want to make sure my mods work properly.
    Last edited by Dresden; October 09, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

maybe th eproblem is solved with the new Beta patch. Since beta patch 3 i dont need this tool anymore - my mod works fine with mod.pack...

Quote Originally Posted by Ritter-Floh View Post
    maybe th eproblem is solved with the new Beta patch.
    They might have snuck it in past QA to avoid a tiny, direly needed fix getting blocked by test plans... that would be very welcome indeed
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

What exactly was getting trumped? Was it ANY edit to a vanilla entry (in a type3 pack), or only those occurring in full table replacements (i.e. same name as vanilla table)? You could technically replace an entire table with a fragment containing all the entries and given a unique name (which some people do for organizational purposes).

I converted my entire mod collection and personal mods to type5 just to sidestep the bug, so can't check atm. What's a good example of a mod that was affected?
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; October 10, 2013 at 04:58 PM.