Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on some modding issues

CA Developer Icon Update on some modding issues

Hi all, bringing you an update on one of the issues that you all have been having modding, the includsion of table fragments in mod packs:

Hi everyone.

I made a programming error when improving mod pack support. My improvements in fact broke it completely (oh the irony, stop laughing). I’ve found and fixed it but the change won’t appear until patch 5, which isn’t too far away, but I imagine you would like a workaround now. To summarise the error, I am getting the precedence order checking the wrong way around. Precedence is declared in byte five of the pack file, immediately after the identification marker PFH4. Mod packs should use 3 for this byte. However, until the patch drops you can change this value to 5. Once the patch drops I can’t guarantee that your mods will work if you don’t switch the byte back to 3 (this has always been the case with mod packs). As I think has been described elsewhere, the lower three bits of the precedence byte are a simple ordering sequence thus:

0 Boot pack (there can be only one)
    1 Release pack
    2 Patch pack
    3 Mod pack
    4 Movie pack (special pack files which are opened in a different way from the others depending on our video playback solution)

Some have achieved a similar result, through good fortune more than anything else, by changing the byte to 4. If you’ll forgive the allusion, four shalt thou not use. Five is right out (except for this brief period before the patch drop).

It really is gratifying to see so much modding going on: I first started work on the modding system a little over ten years ago back in Rome I. I do hope you derive a lot of satisfaction from it.

Cheers,
    J Guy Davidson
    Coding Manager
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Default Re: Update on some modding issues

I know that feeling all too well of a minor mistake/issue causing a big snafu.

Glad to hear that it will be solved in a short while.

Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

thanks alot, was running into this issue with making stuff compatible with larger mods

Senator

For people who're just using mods made by others, what file do we open with what programme to find this and change the values to 5 now and back to 3 after patch 5?

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

What exactly is the problem? I didnt noticed any issues with my mods. I am happy something will be fixed in patch 5, but i would like to know what exactly

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

Is this "tables fragment" the fact that we if we used part of a relase table in our mods then the changes do not show in game and also that if you name them differently they change do not show either?
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 25, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Radious View Post
    What exactly is the problem? I didnt noticed any issues with my mods. I am happy something will be fixed in patch 5, but i would like to know what exactly
    They broke the identifier for mod packs. Since I believe your mods are movie type, it won't be affecting you.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

That's a developer that genuinely works for the community. I don't think I can say the same for the rest of CA.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

When do we get a Ted2?

crzyrndm: They are not, well the largest Overhaul and Unit Packs are all mod format, but all changes working as intended.

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.

Radious, have you changed the names of the tables or are you using vanilla ones? I tried to change part of the battle_entities table name to battle_entities_naval just to include naval units, but then the game ignored this table and used vanilla one. Jack talks about "inclusión of table fragments" I think he is refering to this use of part of the tables, that we mainly use in submods and team work.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 25, 2013 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radious View Post
    crzyrndm: They are not, well the largest Overhaul and Unit Packs are all mod format, but all changes working as intended.
    The problem i have with this is that when i try get my mod to be compatible with your smaller sub-mods and because they are movies, they overwrite my mod because of the current load order - eg. atm Movies load after Mods, which is broken

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Radious, have you changed the names of the tables or are you using vanilla ones? I tried to change part of the battle_entities table name to battle_entities_naval just to include naval units, but then the game ignored this table and used vanilla one. Jack talks about "inclusión of table fragments" I think he is refering to this use of part of the tables, that we mainly use in submods and team work.
    Radious uses Rad prefix

eg. Rad_Land_Units

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

That Monty Python reference, all mistakes forgiven.

Bethencourt : All tables in my Unit Packs have changed names, added prefixes at front, but all works as i said.

Aodh Mor: Thats not broken, this was always like that in previous TW games, movie packs overwrite mod packs.

lawngnome's Avatar Cool as a Dry Ice.

Thanks for the update Lusted/Guy

But... I will resist using 4... even though... the temptation...
    Under the patronage of lawngnome. Patron of lawngnome.

Radius, I have tested today patch 3 battle_entities and campaign_variables tables, I added a prefix this time as I had added sufix previously so I now wanted to test if it was a matter of prefix vs. sufix. But it has not worked either. So trying to guess what is going on I want to ask you from which patch 1, 2 or 3 are you using the tables you have taken to build up your mod? This might be important as if the problem is related to a patch files and previous ones are safe of this problem you should not take patch 3 tables and you should preserve the ones you took from a previous patch.

I propose you and anyother that may want to help on this to make a small test, I have taken battle entities of patch 3, which is actually data_rome2, and changed the name to naval_battle_entities, and then I have put walk and run speed to value 1 in the ships egyptian_one_halfer and greek_one_halfer. These ships should be almost stopped in battle with this values, but if the table has its vanilla name changed then they will run the same as in vanilla. If you keep the values but then change the table's name to vanilla one then the ships will go really slow in battle. By the way, this ships are the smallest ones, in Spanish version, Hemiolias de asalto, assault hemiolias maybe in English.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

So here's what I think is going on:
    The precedence issues Guy describes will not have any effect on additional table entries, only on ones trying to replace data from vanilla.
    Given you're using a Mod pack (precedence 3):
    If I add a row my_litte_pony_cav to the land_units, they will work fine if I put them in land_units_tables/pony_land_units. They will get loaded before the release pack, but that's fine because it's not like they get deleted when vanilla gets loaded.
    If I add that row to land_units_tables/land_units, it should get removed because the game loads Release with precedence over Mod (erroneously) so the file does not take effect.
    If I change a row in vanilla, it doesn't matter what I name the file I put it in because it will get overwritten by vanilla either way (due to having the same primary keys and the vanilla pack having precedence).

That's theorycrafting, I didn't try it out, but it seems sound to me.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

This issue was where a mod pack modified a vanilla table entry, not adding new ones, and because the load order was wrong it was being overwritten by the vanilla values.

We tested this with a mod pack that had a table fragment that modified a single value in _kv_rules and compared it against a movie pack that did the same thing.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast