Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Become a Modding God, Stage 1 - Messing with Time

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default How to Become a Modding God, Stage 1 - Messing with Time

Beginner's Guide: How To Mod Multiple Turns Per Year (PFM)

This tutorial is obviously created for those who have never modded warscape before. There are many ways and possibly other tools to mod this but I'm using Pack File Manager because that's the one I'm familiar with and find it easy to use.

To start, please download Pack File Manager and it's good to also read Warscape Modding Premier by daniu. Once you have an idea how it works then it is time to start with modding the simplest thing of all, increasing turns per year.

First create a folder (I use desktop for easier access) for all modding work and go to your Rome II data folder and copy campaigns folder. It depends on where your game is installed but the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\data which contain folders called main_rome and 3 prologue folders. You can delete the prologue folders if you only want to mod the main campaign. You are going to edit the startpos.esf which is located inside the main_rome folder.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now run PFM and enter you mod name (or you can use the default my_mod). Once you my_mod.pack is safely created it will be time to add the startpos.esf to your mod.

Your mod folder should now look likes this.

I have always set up that the pack files be open by PFM so that I can immediately open any pack files I want to edit rather than opening PFM files and selecting files which I want to mod.

Right click on my_mod.pack > Add > Directory as shown in the picture below.

Browse to where you have copied your campaigns folder (in my case inside Tutorial folder on desktop) and click OK. You'll see the green campaigns/main_rome/startpos.esf as shown below.

Now the easy part is to click on startpos.esf in the left column which will open a middle column. Clicking on the (+) sign will open up 3 more options where you need to open up COMPRESSED DATA > CAMPAIGN_ENV and then click on the CAMPAIGN_CALENDAR. On the 3rd column you'll see Value (1) which you can change to increase the turns per year. I have no idea what's the max number yet but you can test any numbers you want (2 to 12 should not cause any problems). Once you make any changes to the number it will turn into red.

See below for details.

Now you can save the file (or use save_as if you want to rename) and put this inside Rome II data folder. I would suggest to use Mod Manager (and make sure to use the default Mod type) for your pack file so that you can revert back to vanilla or merge with other Mod type pack files easily.

Now it's done !

Note: This only change the turns per year. You can also edit other files top increase the build times and possibly research time and add them to your mod file. If there's no tutorials on this I may create them later.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; October 07, 2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: uurghhh..Ybbon

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Default Re: How to Become a Modding God, Stage 1 - Messing with Time

Excellent tutorial..

Do you know how to change the faction colours displayed on the mini-map in the campaign? And that new strategic map they added to RTWII?

Quote Originally Posted by Actus Reus View Post
    Excellent tutorial..

Do you know how to change the faction colours displayed on the mini-map in the campaign? And that new strategic map they added to RTWII?
    No idea. Sorry. I'm still trying myself to unlock faction. Will post about that once I get things right.

Nice tutorial, make more! One on how to edit the skills/traits of the default starting generals/agents that you get at the start of the campaign (for example Lucius Julius Libo for Rome) would be nice. One on how to prevent the house-swapping for the default, start-game "Colonels" would be nice too. I.e. preventing Quintus Cornelius Bassus from going from the Cornelii, to the Julii, to the Junii house/s when starting multiple campaigns.

Hellbent's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ChaChaLoco View Post
    Nice tutorial, make more! One on how to edit the skills/traits of the default starting generals/agents that you get at the start of the campaign (for example Lucius Julius Libo for Rome) would be nice. One on how to prevent the house-swapping for the default, start-game "Colonels" would be nice too. I.e. preventing Quintus Cornelius Bassus from going from the Cornelii, to the Julii, to the Junii house/s when starting multiple campaigns.
    I second this. I'd love to learn how to edit starting character's traits/skills for my mod. I've looked at the startpos file, and the trait section for the character_details tab is empty so I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks LestaT!

I'm not familiar with modding that unfortunately. Haven't tried. This weekend (got 5 long days off) maybe I'll write up unlocking factions tutorial.

Hi, Lesta T. with ref to your quote "Now you can save the file (or use save_as if you want to rename) and put this inside Rome II data folder. I would suggest to use Mod Manager (and make sure to use the default Mod type) for your pack file so that you can revert back to vanilla or merge with other Mod type pack files easily.

Now it's done !

Note: This only change the turns per year. You can also edit other files top increase the build times and possibly research time and add them to your mod file. If there's no tutorials on this I may create them later
    ." Will this also change the age of the characters/generals/spy's etc to age to the calendar time......

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ragnar View Post
    Hi, Lesta T. with ref to your quote "Now you can save the file (or use save_as if you want to rename) and put this inside Rome II data folder. I would suggest to use Mod Manager (and make sure to use the default Mod type) for your pack file so that you can revert back to vanilla or merge with other Mod type pack files easily.

Now it's done !

Note: This only change the turns per year. You can also edit other files top increase the build times and possibly research time and add them to your mod file. If there's no tutorials on this I may create them later
    ." Will this also change the age of the characters/generals/spy's etc to age to the calendar time......
    Yes.

Here is a mod that has options for changing build times, research times, etc: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-beta-10-9-13)

If you want to do it yourself, all you have to do is find the right column and multiply it by 2 or 4. You can also choose to do more specific balancing, but there are a ton of rows to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Here is a mod that has options for changing build times, research times, etc: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-beta-10-9-13)

If you want to do it yourself, all you have to do is find the right column and multiply it by 2 or 4. You can also choose to do more specific balancing, but there are a ton of rows to edit.
    Self promoting mate ?

Well this section of the forum is the part where we teach people how to fish instead of giving them fish.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Self promoting mate ?

Well this section of the forum is the part where we teach people how to fish instead of giving them fish.
    I misread Lord Ragnar's post and thought he was asking for a mod for build and research times for turns per year, but I now see he was quoting you. I apologize for misunderstanding, as I try to contribute to others and help when I am able. I haven't made anything for personal gain or promotion in any way. I have tried to share anything I have figured out with other modders so we can always work for a better game. I believe if you would look at my activities you would see I am not a selfish member of this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I misread Lord Ragnar's post and thought he was asking for a mod for build and research times for turns per year, but I now see he was quoting you. I apologize for misunderstanding, as I try to contribute to others and help when I am able. I haven't made anything for personal gain or promotion in any way. I have tried to share anything I have figured out with other modders so we can always work for a better game. I believe if you would look at my activities you would see I am not a selfish member of this community.
    No worries. Just kidding. Keep on modding. The community certainly need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    I second this. I'd love to learn how to edit starting character's traits/skills for my mod. I've looked at the startpos file, and the trait section for the character_details tab is empty so I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks LestaT!

Hellbent, here is a quick tutorial on how to edit a character's starting traits: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tarting-traits

@LestaT I didn't mean any offense, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overstepping any boundaries. Thanks for your tutorial and the work!

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

So if I understand this post correctly, I can just pop the startpos directly into my complete overhaul .pack file without requiring my users to install a separate spartpos for 2tpy or 4tpy? I had no idea!
    Last edited by Silven; October 11, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Yep that's right, since Shogun 2 you could place campaign files (.lua's and .esf's) inside a pack

| SPLENYI'S PROJECT - ROME 2 TW | BETTER CAMPAIGN CAMERA | USEFUL WEBSITES |
    | 4670K, Gryphon Z87, 8GB DDR3, GTX 780, AX760i, NH-U12S, SS 840 SSD, WD 1TB Black |

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Very nice. So this will just completely overwrite whatever startpos they have in their actual campaign folder then?

If they don't have a startpos file present at all, will the .pack file still get things working normally?

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Hi. I am going to sound a bit ridiculous but I do not manage to get it working. I am able to change the campaign_calendar but it seems like I don't save my pack the way I should so every time I open it again after seeing no result during a small test I find the first campaign_calendar value set at 1 instead of the number I wrote earlier.

Also if I do not want to use mod manager I have to use the movie type to make it work just by dropping my pack in the data folder, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    Hi. I am going to sound a bit ridiculous but I do not manage to get it working. I am able to change the campaign_calendar but it seems like I don't save my pack the way I should so every time I open it again after seeing no result during a small test I find the first campaign_calendar value set at 1 instead of the number I wrote earlier.
    That was a bug in EditSF, get the new version 1.1.1 which fixes this.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

I'm not having a problem with the changes saving, but I am having problems seeing the effects in-game for some reason.

I tested this by changing the tpy to 4, and saving the startpos within my .pack file, but the campaign remains 1tpy after starting a new game. Any ideas?

Edit: Disregard. I failed to include the Campaigns folder in my added directory. All is working now.
    Last edited by Silven; October 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    That was a bug in EditSF, get the new version 1.1.1 which fixes this.
    OMG it works ! Thanks you very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast