Thread: Ideal temp for video card (And how to find out CPU temp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ideal temp for video card (And how to find out CPU temp

I'm having some concerns with this brand new Monarch system I bought. At idle, the video card [X1900XTX]'s temp is something like 55-64 Celcus, yet I went with a thermaltake kandalf case, with a fan on the top, on the rear and up by the power supply.

What's the ideal temp for a video card to be at when playing a game as well as when being idle?
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 17, 2006 at 02:55 AM.

Default Re: Ideal temp for video card (And how to find out CPU temp

Yep, you should go with NVidia, they are good on the heat control side... (used to be the other way around but now NVidia as known pwns! )

That temp is alright, nothing to raise concern anyway, it won't die from it.
    However, getting the temp down to 40-50C on idle is considered fairly ideal (I consider it ideal anyway).
    Now, on the case, are you saying it has no fan at the front of the case to blow cool air into the case? A fan at the front generally is inline with the video card and thus cools it nicely, you could also try an aftermarket heatsink for the video card if you wanted, but adding another fan will probaly be enough (and some people don't like messing around with their $600+ video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocrat
    That temp is alright, nothing to raise concern anyway, it won't die from it.
    However, getting the temp down to 40-50C on idle is considered fairly ideal (I consider it ideal anyway).
    Now, on the case, are you saying it has no fan at the front of the case to blow cool air into the case? A fan at the front generally is inline with the video card and thus cools it nicely, you could also try an aftermarket heatsink for the video card if you wanted, but adding another fan will probaly be enough (and some people don't like messing around with their $600+ video card.
    I do believe that the case does not have any front-fan. What I will be able to do is to put a fan into the 3.5 HDDR sections, which will be the sole intake fan.

Thanks for the help guys. I have a few details that might help when I can find the sheet that mentions what I bought (I know I bought thermal paste, but given the mistakes they originally made in my order, it's possible they forgot it)

Another guy has my issue at the monarch forums, he replaced the thermaltake heatsink for the CPU with an arctic Cooler pro 64 and says it's much better. Along with the front fan, that should do the trick.
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 17, 2006 at 10:28 AM.

My Geforce Nvidia 6800 has an idle temp of 67 degrees celcius (Dell case, terrible cooling system, well none really ). Ive had this card for 9 months, no problems. I dont think you have anything to worry about. I know this is a GPU not CPU but its all the same technology really isnt it?
    Last edited by westy159; September 17, 2006 at 11:37 AM.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

Thats the normal idle temperture for a X1900XT. Those things usually go over 70C on load. If you really want a lower temperture so you can overclock it, put some Artic Silver 5 on the heatsink, I heard that helps a lot, since the stock thermal paste is crap.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Arctic Cooler pro 64 is for CPU, its got nothing to do with your GPU tempertures... And normaly, thermal paste is for CPU, I doubt they put it on the GPU, you will have to do that your self.
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Well CPU temp is another thing I've been concerned about. This Dual core Athlon something something 5000+ seems to have the same hangups or holdups as my 3 year old Pentium 3 processor in the old PC. When Im say, running firefox, and I control alt delete to get the task manager, I'll see the CPU usage jump up to 50 or 100. If that's normal then I guess I'm just worrying for no reason, but I kind of expected a 'wow' moment - it feels less like I went from a model t to a mercedes benz of today and more like I jumped from one modern car to another. It might be the RAM, as I have less ram than the last PC, but it's CPU usage which spikes up. Is there a way to be certain my PC is using it's dual core correctly?

The temp seems to be between 30-50 celcius (for CPU), which isn't that bad for a CPU I guess, but I was hoping to lower the temp to closer to 30 or even 20.

30C is the idle temperture, 50C is the load temperture.... When your temperture jumps up it means your CPU is working. Don't worry, your computer if fine.