Thread: Is the time distance perspective acurite in game?

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Default Is the time distance perspective acurite in game?

Not liking my generals dying so much has got me thinking, it is taking me 5 to 10 turn to cross Europe and a good example might be Rome to London(imagine London), this trip in game would take you umm, lets say 7 turns?. Now that is 7 years in game, my question is is 7 years realistic? , because i feel that's a long trip on my generals and probably too long, the same generals that take 5 turns to create a stack, that's 5 years recruiting time.

what do you think about the time frame is takes you to get to point A to B?.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Civis

Default Re: Is the time distance perspective acurite in game?

Try this: http://orbis.stanford.edu/#

Like Google Maps for the roman empire. To answer your question, the travel distance is much too short for a year. Even if you had to cross the trackless germanic forest, you could expect to make 5 Km per day on foot, much more on roads. If you are able to travel 250 days a year, that would mean a distance of 1250 Km - or about from all the way from the southern tip of Italy to the italian-austrian border. If you are able to travel 30 km a day, you could walk from modern day Scotland to Teheran (about 6.000 Km) in a year.

But as with Civilisation, army movement has to be shorter in strategy game, or you could attack any city on the map in one turn.

probably the most unrealistic in a TW game to date
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living."

Quote Originally Posted by AusHaching View Post

Like Google Maps for the roman empire. To answer your question, the travel distance is much too short for a year. Even if you had to cross the trackless germanic forest, you could expect to make 5 Km per day on foot, much more on roads. If you are able to travel 250 days a year, that would mean a distance of 1250 Km - or about from all the way from the southern tip of Italy to the italian-austrian border. If you are able to travel 30 km a day, you could walk from modern day Scotland to Teheran (about 6.000 Km) in a year.

But as with Civilisation, army movement has to be shorter in strategy game, or you could attack any city on the map in one turn.
    Thankyou for your good info champ, another tick in favor of 4 tpy and this 1tpy was not entirely thought out. I was thinking 1 year, maybe 2 years, max to travel pretty much anywhere.

TW RIP

Movement allowance can be much more realistic if you have more turns per year, the decision to make the game only 1tpy causes a lot of problems. It should have been 4tpy with proper seasons affecting movement rates and attrition.

Its the commute time on my generals that's hurting me, can maybe get 3-4 battle's out of a general but it would be great to have a 12 battle vet general. I think the formula that made them famous for ten+ years has been mortally changed because of 1tpy.

Anyway back on topic, should marching distance be increased or is it fine?

TW RIP

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by AusHaching View Post

OMG THIS IS SO ING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Using 4tpy myself and increased the rate which generals get XP, it's lot more fun this way rotating consuls to the front line and retiring them/upgrading them to governors when they pass 55 years of age to guard a large area. It's not ideal but it does make me care for them a lot more, at least until the civil war ends and u might as well restart since the whole family system is tossed out then.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The thing that makes me realise how badly this has been thought out is when it takes a year to cross the English Channel.

Does the pet budgie decide these things for CA?