Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

Default Re: How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

I figured it out

I am trying to edit the unit stats. Just to test I edited the Rom_Praetorians from 160-200. When I follow the steps in your guide, PFM adds a row at the bottom with the unit strength at 200 but keeps the 160 up above so I am getting errors. Im new to this so if you can offer me some assistance I would appreciate it. Thank you.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by spartan super hoplite View Post
    I did every thing you said but
    An error showed up that said
    (import faild . object reference not set to an instance of an object )
    What specifically are you trying to do that makes this show up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhldman View Post
    I am trying to edit the unit stats. Just to test I edited the Rom_Praetorians from 160-200. When I follow the steps in your guide, PFM adds a row at the bottom with the unit strength at 200 but keeps the 160 up above so I am getting errors. Im new to this so if you can offer me some assistance I would appreciate it. Thank you.
    To Edit the number of men in a unit, you would export main_units to your mod pack, and then edit the praetorians entry. Shouldn't ever have two praetorian entries.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

I can't find MyMods?????????????????????????????????

Under Open in the File menu (File -> My Mods...)?
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Under Open in the File menu (File -> My Mods...)?
    Should we move it to the main menu bar again?
    It used to be there but I didn't want it to be too intrusive.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

I don't know. It is almost a complete menu in and of itself, but it works where it is (namely because you access all packs through the file menu: CA, MyMods, and Open).

Hello all,

I am getting the same errors when attempting to open db files after renaming all with my selected prefix (with an underscore). The error reads "object reference not set to an instance of an object" and it won't allow me to open several tables to review for any potential mistakes. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD87 View Post
    I am getting the same errors when attempting to open db files after renaming all with my selected prefix (with an underscore). The error reads "object reference not set to an instance of an object" and it won't allow me to open several tables to review for any potential mistakes. Any ideas?
    We have the suspicion that this renaming causes a pretty significant error (which will be fixed in the next release).
    To work around that, after using the rename function, save the pack and close PFM; it should be fine after a restart.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, it seems this error has put a dagger in the heart of my mod once again, as the unit_experience_threshold_modifiers_tables, land_units_to_unit_abilites_junctions_tables, unit_set_to_unit_junctions_tables, units_to_groupings_military_permissions_tables, land_units.loc, unit_description_short_texts.loc, are all affected and still read the same error when attemping to open them. My units_custom_battle_permissions_tables are also blank now.

Could you post your corrupted pack file?
    I'll see if I can write a tool to fix them and only have one test case.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Sure, I am grateful for any help if you have the time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any luck daniu?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD87 View Post
    Any luck daniu?
    Sorry, forgot to come back on this.
    No luck unfortunately. It looked like it could be done at first sight, but was more complicated after all.
    Data seems to just be missing so it doesn't look like I'll be able to recover any, sorry.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Well thanks for trying anyways. I'm going to try to name the files individually from now on. Hopefully this will avoid any corruption.

Not a terribly good start as a modder. I follow the steps, install the mod, and it doesn't show up in mod manager. I confirmed that the pack file is in the data folder along with the other (that do show up in mod manager).

Quote Originally Posted by Anabasis View Post
    Not a terribly good start as a modder. I follow the steps, install the mod, and it doesn't show up in mod manager. I confirmed that the pack file is in the data folder along with the other (that do show up in mod manager).

That's a new one. Would you mind attaching the pack you are having problems with?

Hmm, I think I am starting to see the problem. I was just trying to see if I could get a mod in game, so I selected the main rome 2 data pack and made one change to a unit value, saved and then installed. Of course, it gives me a 329 meg mod. I think I am doing something wrong Maybe I am skipping a step.

The problem seems to be at step 2. I have named the mod and chosen a directory for it. Then I get a file select dialog and I navigate to data_rome2.pack. I select it. It appears in the left hand pane with a little expand (+) button. From there, I can expand to the file I want (in this case) land_units and make a change. I save, install, and the resulting mod pack is the same size as the entire data_rome2.pack. I don't see the intermediate step where I 'select files' for my mod.

Solved with the help of http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-Game-Editing

When I use the four step tutorial, I end up not with my mod in the left hand pane, but with data_rome2.pack in that pane. I had to go back and load data_rome2.pack, extract the file I wanted, then reload my mod, right click on the name, and add the file.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast