Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Default How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

This question gets asked many times a week, so I'm making this so I can put the link in my sig so its easy to find

For a deeper explanation on how the system works, see Daniu's Modding Primer.
    Instructions using PFM Step 1: Add a new personal mod in PFM
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Enter the name and location that you want to store it. (IMPORTANT: Do not put any spaces in this name or the official mod manager will not install your mod when it comes time to use it)
    -- When you have a mod selected under MyMods, extracted files are automatically added to the specified mod pack

Step 2: Import required files into your mod
    The next step after naming and locating your mod, is to choose what it contains. Open the relevant official pack (more than likely: data_rome2.pack) and PFM will pop out a new window for you to choose the files from.

Double click on the files you want to include in your mod, and hit OK when you are done.

Step 3: Make your changes

Step 4: Install your mod

UPDATE
    With the addition of the official mod manager, manually editing the user.script file and/or PFM's install function no longer works as a reliable method of installing a mod.

To install personal mods (not uploaded to steam workshop), copy your mod into the data directory as normal, then tick the box in the top left hand corner of the mod in the Rome 2 launcher mod manager. To use a mod from the steam workshop, subscribe to it in the workshop and after it has downloaded it will show up in the mod manager. Enable the mod by ticking the little box again

Manual Install No longer applicable

If anyone can think of an improvements to wording, or anything I may have missed...
    Last edited by crzyrndm; December 17, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Default Re: How to create and use a mod pack in 5 easy steps using PFM 3.0

Hey thanks for this post I was actually just looking to see how to do something like that.

Nice guide
    I have extracted the file I want to change but PFM does not tell me the location it is extracted to ?
    I cant import the file to my mod.
    can you confirm where file is located, I get no option to save file to a location.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I have extracted the file I want to change but PFM does not tell me the location it is extracted to ?
    I cant import the file to my mod.
    can you confirm where file is located, I get no option to save file to a location.
    If you have made a new "MyMod", it will have been extracted to wherever you located that.

For the mod I'm testing combat mechanics with, the location I selected was: Downloads\Rome2Mods\CombatTesting
    When I extract the kv_rules table, it ends up here: Downloads\Rome2Mods\CombatTesting\db\_kv_rules_tables
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

If you don't create a new mod and set it's directory I believe it defaults to extracting to your rome2/data folder.
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeQ View Post
    If you don't create a new mod and set it's directory I believe it defaults to extracting to your rome2/data folder.
    Good point, added.

Not entirely; it will extract to the path where the currently open pack is located.
    Most of the time that will be game/data I suppose, but not if you open another mod pack for instance.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Hi guys, Could do with some help. When I extract the single table (in my case main_units) when it's opened up in my mod it shows just a blank page. I have no idea why it's not showing the table in the viewer thing, but it remains grey as if the file is corrupted. I've even tried stuff with CSVs and even though they are aren't corrupted I get the same grey screen where the table should be. Any ideas as to why I can't seem to add files to my mod? Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Not entirely; it will extract to the path where the currently open pack is located.
    Most of the time that will be game/data I suppose, but not if you open another mod pack for instance.
    Corrected.

Quick question: If there are multiple mods do you create a new line of do they go after the ";"?

mod "StrongerWalls.pack";mod "Radious_Total_War_Mod.pack";
    or

mod "StrongerWalls.pack";
    mod "Radious_Total_War_Mod.pack";
    Or does it even matter at all?

Newline is the standard, but it almost certainly doesn't matter so long as you use the semi-colon
    Last edited by crzyrndm; September 28, 2013 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    If you have made a new "MyMod", it will have been extracted to wherever you located that.

For the mod I'm testing combat mechanics with, the location I selected was: Downloads\Rome2Mods\CombatTesting
    When I extract the kv_rules table, it ends up here: Downloads\Rome2Mods\CombatTesting\db\_kv_rules_tables
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Step 2: Extract the files you want.
    Open the official pack (probably data_rome2.pack) in PFM, and navigate to the file you want (I'll use data_rome2/db/kv_rules as an example). Right click -> extract -> extract selected. If you navigate to the folder you created for your mod, you will find a folder structure representing the location of the table in the pack (eg. <mod name>/db/kv_rules in my case) with a binary file inside cotaining the details of the table.
    [...]
    Step 3: Import the files into your mod
    File -> MyMods -> Select your mod
    Files -> Add -> File(s)
    Navigate to the binary files you extracted and add them.
    To pitch a new feature I included in PFM 3.1, these two steps have been seriously streamlined now with the "Import from Pack" feature.
    When creating a new MyMod, it's not required anymore to open a vanilla pack, then extract, then open your mod pack, then import; after you selected a pack to import from, a standalone pack browser is opened and you can select the files to include initially there.
    While working on a pack, when you realize you need to include a file from a vanilla (or another mod) pack, use "File->From Pack" to get the same browser, again without the extra steps for extracting/importing.
    The files to include are chosen by selecting a single file, then pressing ok (includes that file only) or by double-clicking several files, then pressing OK.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Obsolete 5 step method
    Instructions using PFM Step 1: Add a new personal mod in PFM
    File -> MyMods -> New. Enter the name and location that you want to store it. When it asks you to select data proceed to step 2
    When you have a mod selected under MyMods, extracted tables automatically locate themselves in the mod directory which makes extracting multiple tables much faster

Step 2: Extract the files you want.
    Open the official pack (probably data_rome2.pack) in PFM, and navigate to the file you want (I'll use data_rome2/db/kv_rules as an example). Right click -> extract -> extract selected. If you navigate to the folder you created for your mod, you will find a folder structure representing the location of the table in the pack (eg. <mod name>/db/kv_rules in my case) with a binary file inside cotaining the details of the table.
    NOTE: If you have "None" selected in the MyMod menu, the default location for extracted tables is the location of the pack you are extracting them from. For example, kv_rules from the official data pack: steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data\db\kv_rules

Step 3: Import the files into your mod
    File -> MyMods -> Select your mod
    Files -> Add -> File(s)
    Navigate to the binary files you extracted and add them. You can use the directory option to add a group of tables at once, but be careful to keep the structure the same and not accidentally add another level. Individual Files is safer

Step 4: Make your changes

Step 5: Install your mod
    PFM has a great feature where it can manage the user.script.txt entries and add your mod.pack to the Rome2 data folder for you.
    File -> MyMods -> Install ____ (depending on which of your mods you have selected)

Default Re: How to create and use a mod pack in 4 easy steps using PFM

When I do Files -> Add and click on the pack I want to my own pack, it doesn't do anything. My own pack remains empty.

UPDATE
    With the addition of the official mod manager, manually editing the user.script file and/or PFM's install function no longer works as a reliable method of installing a mod.

To install personal mods (not uploaded to steam workshop), copy your mod into the data directory as normal, then tick the box in the top left hand corner of the mod in the Rome 2 launcher mod manager. To use a mod from the steam workshop, subscribe to it in the workshop and after it has downloaded it will show up in the mod manager. Enable the mod by ticking the little box again

Quote Originally Posted by caissus View Post
    When I do Files -> Add and click on the pack I want to my own pack, it doesn't do anything. My own pack remains empty.
    Are you choosing the "From Pack" option under add? That is the only method you can use to take files directly from official packs into your mod pack.
    Last edited by crzyrndm; October 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

UPDATE:
    The official mod manager will not properly install any mod pack with a space in the file name. When naming your mod, make sure to use underscores if you require a space.

I did every thing you said but
    An error showed up that said
    (import faild . object reference not set to an instance of an object )

I want to create a mod taht replaces the italian mercenaries with different unit varients e.g Italian Swordman would look like Roman Principes. I changed the unit variants edited som stats. I save the mod Tick it in the mod manager but the changes dont happen
    Please tell me what to do
    Thankyou

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast