Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone knows why suddenly one after the other factions break trade agreements with me?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Anyone knows why suddenly one after the other factions break trade agreements with me?

I have all strategic resources, I have over a dozen client states, some of which completely cut off from the rest of the world, are very friendly with me (+100 and more) and suddenly, around turn 180 they start breaking trade agreements with me. I was at 18 trade agreements and within 3 turns I got down to about 8. Nobody accepts a trade agreement even when payed, unless they're going bankrupt.
    I edited the faction's prestige limits so I am NOT at supreme and even that didn't stop it.

Anyone can tell me why this is happening? Is it because I have too many vassals? Is it because although I changed the prestige limits, I still have about 100 prestige and the chance to break agreement goes not by status but by prestige value? I.e. if I have 100 prestige and I'm noteworthy the change to break the agreement is exactly the same as if I have 100 prestige and I'm supreme?

Anyone can offer any idea on what should I do, or should I get used to the idea that I will have no trade agreements within 2-3 more turns and I'll have to go for military victory?

Is trade victory even possible?

NOTE: I've the 2nd patch. I don't use beta patches.
    Last edited by alhoon; September 21, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: Anyone knows why suddenly one after the other factions break trade agreements with me?

I do think when posting peeps they should state which patch their on. That way at least we have the chance of being on an even keel.

Lathrim's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Anyone knows why suddenly one after the other factions break trade agreements with me?

Excellent question! Would love to have the answer as well.

Man, you actually managed to throw me in these forums to explain things once and for all about gameplay. Your problem: Well, that's precisely because you have all ressources at your disposal! Think, for one just second... Commerce and diplomacy are the most well coded things in the game. People who complain about these aspects without understanding the purest logic of commerce and applying them should read more about trade. You're not the first one complaining about these things and accusing CA, who actually managed to drop the RTW 1 broken features.

Quote Originally Posted by Messire View Post
    Man, you actually managed to throw me in these forums to explain things once and for all about gameplay. Your problem: Well, that's precisely because you have all ressources at your disposal! Think, for one just second... Commerce and diplomacy are the most well coded things in the game. People who complain about these aspects without understanding the purest logic of commerce and applying them should read more about trade. You're not the first one complaining about these things and accusing CA, who actually managed to drop the RTW 1 broken features.
    ...Nope. Call me ignorant but I think the op's question valid. What is the saying "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers"?

Could someone explain?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Stop trying to push your shoddy merchandise on them, they arent interested in tapdancing slaves.

I think I noticed them dropping agreements when the trade routes where going through warfare contested waters heavy with pirates.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Lathrim's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    I think I noticed them dropping agreements when the trade routes where going through warfare contested waters heavy with pirates.
    Interesting theory! I'll do some testing tomorrow morning.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

check the relations in diplomacy tap. it is the only thing coming to my mind. mouse over the face icon. I think the only reason for the AI to break it is when your relations with it deteriorates. so either you suffered a huge reputation hit(attacking your ally) or you attack their ally. not sure though, you have to check your self.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

I don't know late game I see a lot of breaking of trade agreements, probably to force the player to fight, that doesn't matter much anyway, since you are raking on money after a turn 50, that trade agreements don't make a significant dent, unless you want an economic victory, or probably because of that quest that this happens

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Always figured it was remnant shogun 2 RD code being forgotten by the dev's.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    Always figured it was remnant shogun 2 RD code being forgotten by the dev's.
    Nope, AI rampage is deactivated, but if you miss this, I can activate it for you.

They are breaking the agreements for many reasons:
    1. if you have all available ressources in your posession or at least all kind of ressources, this implies you reign a large empire and you forged it by conquering other nations/factions/tribes...
    ... remember Napoleon, he forged an empire and the rest of the European countries formed coalitions against him for the sake of the balance of power. Itīs logical, if you become to strong, you are dangerous.

2. You know, some rulers of other nations are just traitors, they take your money, trade with you and suddenly (yes, there are 2 tables for diplomatic treacheries in the DB...)

3. Have you checked the relations with the countries that are canceling the trade agreements? If not, do it, sometimes you pissed them off...
    ... one example, you destroyed too many nations... see point 1.

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

AI drop trade mostly because you now have the res that they used to sell to you that make their trade much less profit since you no longer need as much import as you were while you still export a lot of goods to them.

For example I am playing as Sparta and right after I capture the Veneti settlement I produce about 80 glassware which SE export me before I have that settlement
    Having that settlement make me no longer need SE's goods-> their trade profit drop. Next turn SE cut off the trade agreement.

Bad relationship can also cause it but it is very rare, AI tend to keep the trade going as long as they can have good profit coming from it
    Last edited by vietanh797; September 21, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Andonai View Post
    Nope, AI rampage is deactivated, but if you miss this, I can activate it for you.
    Hell no. We are well rid of that feature

Thanks for the explanation, rep! That makes a lot of sense. All of the nations where neutral, either +1 or a few minus due to the differences in culture. A few where hostile and unfriendly due to passed wars. Out of all the factions only one declared war (the 2nd war declaration ever playing as Rome) and they where interested in peace after i enslaved the armies they sent for me. I've send non of the factions gifts because i was curious as to what the AI's intentions where, but 95% of the time dropping the non-aggression treaty + trade treaty over a period of two turns is not enough to deteriorate the relationship and the factions remain neutral, passive.

What was interesting is that after the two turn cancellation spam by all the known nations i discovered Aksum, who where more then willing to trade with me, didn't even had to sent them a 'gift' (bribe).

It's definitely option 1 I'm only missing lead and silk i think.

Andonai, Vietanh797, thx! Now my comment feels like less ignored.
    Getting monopoly on one ressource is good for market. Having all ressources at disposal makes it hard to trade with faction which won't get any profit out of it.

Some people should stop rampaging around and hurl about a broken game when they first should learn to play. It has been like that since the first age of these games, even well before shogun 1, Lord of the Realms included. Player shouldn't race for all ressources ownership. Plus, it's kind of logical.

yep a lot of things in game have it own logic. It just that not everyone try to understand them, people tend to become whiner nowaday. That make me remember those old school games that we spent weeks on them just the find out a few secrets without complaining anything.

Langer Kerl's Avatar Decanus

Happened to me as well, and my first guess was also on resources. My trade agreements got canceled after a short phase of rapid expanding on my side, which got me control over long-missing resources such as lead. I lost about 7k income due to that in a few turns and had to start a strict (and interesting) economical restructuring process to become more self-sufficient. I was irritated a bit, because diplomatic relations did not change with my former trade partners at all, but the given explanation makes sense.

By the way, I think you should be able to force trade agreements on client states and vassals. You are their overlord, so you should be able to force your puppet states to open their markets.

I agree about that especially after we defeat them at their last settlement.
    If we offer them become a client state/ satrap they agree then it is ok that they haven't agree a trade with me but honestly I just beat the hell out of them and they refused to trade?

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Did you loose a resource? Factions only want to trade with you if you have a resource they don't.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

I didn't lose any resources.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast