Thread: Help To Install Extended Realism Mod!!!!

Default Help To Install Extended Realism Mod!!!!

Can someone PLEASE GIVE ME A STEP BY STEP SIMPLE GUIDE for installing RTRPE and the Extended Realism on BI 1.6 I JSUT CAN'T DO IT!!!! Even using the instructions by Can....IM SOO CONFUSED!!!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Help To Install Extended Realism Mod!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Total Fanatic :)
    Can someone PLEASE GIVE ME A STEP BY STEP SIMPLE GUIDE for installing RTRPE and the Extended Realism on BI 1.6 I JSUT CAN'T DO IT!!!! Even using the instructions by Can....IM SOO CONFUSED!!!
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I take it you know how to get the game installed and patched up to BI 1.6. Now RTRPE comes in. Install the full 1.6 version (or the RTRPE patch 1.6 after having installed the full RTRPE 1.4 version). Now you have BI 1.6 and RTRPE 1.6. As far as I know the Extended Realism Standard Mod (by Candelarius) does not work on RTRPE 1.6. You need to patch RTRPE 1.6 up to 1.7 first. When you have RTRPE 1.7 installed you're ready for ERS. Now it seems best to unpack the downloaded compressed ERS file somewhere, open up the subsequent ERS folder, mark its Data folder and copy that to your Rome - Total War folder. If you have directed the installation right a dialogue box pops up that says that there already exists a data folder here and asks if you want to overwrite those files. Click yes to all. After that, you should be ready to go, by clicking on the shortcut on your desktop named "BI-RTRv1.7" which was created with the last RTRPE installation.
    But you may also want to install the Promethean Roman Legion Skin Pack add-on before that. This should be done in the same way as with ERS.
    I'm not an expert, but I got it to work like this.
    Last edited by Demokritos; September 17, 2006 at 03:11 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Demokritus pretty much hit it on the nail. If you still having problems it would help if you tell us precisely the steps you are taking and at what problem you're having. Be as specific as possible.

IŽll agree that Calendarius instructions are a bit confusing too say at least.
    But this is the procedure i used:
    Patch up Rome to 1.5. Patch up BI to 1.6.
    Install PE 1.6, patch it up to 1.7 beta.
    Install extended realism, (just drag and drop to datafolder, overwrite it, answer YES!)
    Do the same thing with the legion-pack.
    And thats it. (NOTE!!! YOU MUST HAVE BI TO MAKE IT PLAY PROPERLY)!!!

(though i have occured a strange thing) Briton-available troops in my city of syracuse, a bug anyone?, seems a little bit out of place...

Probably just a minor leftover from the Scipii-faction now used to mimick the britons...
    But I'll forgive Calendarius anyday of the week for that. He's done a fabulous job!
    Horum Omnium Fortissimi Sunt Belgae

I totally forgive Calendarius!

HE HAS DONE AN AMAZING JOB!

Outstanding in many ways! the playability has indeed gone up.
    Hurrah!...

What exactly about my instructions is confusing? They make sense to me...but I wrote them! lol

If someone who is very good with readme instructions wants to help, please post a "revised" installment procedure and I'll include it in my readme.

Quote Originally Posted by Candelarius
    What exactly about my instructions is confusing? They make sense to me...but I wrote them! lol

If someone who is very good with readme instructions wants to help, please post a "revised" installment procedure and I'll include it in my readme.
    The trouble seems to stem from your use of "RTRPE 1.7 beta folder" which makes since to me, but I see why it is confusing. Most people don't associate "RTRPE 1.7 beta folder" with "The RTW folder in which I have installed the RTRPE 1.7 beta and have probably renamed to something more appropriate to the mod installed, such as RTRPE 1.7 beta folder".

Also, compound steps should probably not be the same step 'Download something and then do something else' should really be 'Download something. Do something else.' Though that might just be something that was pounded into my head back in technical writing class...

Another note: For your Promethean skins pack installation you note copying it's DATA folder inside of the DATA folder for RTRPE + Extended Realism, not into the root folder and then say that putting it inside of the DATA folder (So you end up with \RTRPE\Data\Data which is probably not what you were going for...).

Perhaps:

Installation Instructions:
    1. Have Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition installed over Barbarian Invasion*.
    2. Download my mod.
    3. Copy the DATA folder in the .rar file into the folder you installed RTR PE, note copy into the root (e.g. If you installed to the default directory: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War) and not the DATA folder itself.
    4. If asked to overwrite, click yes to all.

*Instructions for how to install RTRPE 1.7 beta over BI:
    1. Install vanilla RTW-BI.
    2. Patch to version 1.6.
    3. Install RTRPE 1.7 beta to the same folder as RTW-BI.
    4. Create a shortcut to RTW-BI.exe.
    5. Open the properties of the shortcut.
    6. Add "-mod:" to the end of the target line.
    e.g. If you installed to the default directory, your target line should look like this: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -mod:

Promethean Roman Legions skin pack:

Instructions for how to install the Promethean Roman Legion skin pack:
    1. Install the Extended Realism mod for RTRPE 1.7 beta as per the instructions.
    2. Copy the DATA folder from the .rar to the folder you installed RTR PE, note copy into the root (e.g. If you installed to the default directory: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War) and not the DATA folder itself.
    3. If asked to overwrite, click yes to all.

Noteably I just wrote this up, quick-like, so it probably isn't perfect nor free from flaws, but it's a good start point for some clearer install instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhan Zarathustra
    The trouble seems to stem from your use of "RTRPE 1.7 beta folder" which makes since to me, but I see why it is confusing. Most people don't associate "RTRPE 1.7 beta folder" with "The RTW folder in which I have installed the RTRPE 1.7 beta and have probably renamed to something more appropriate to the mod installed, such as RTRPE 1.7 beta folder".

Also, compound steps should probably not be the same step 'Download something and then do something else' should really be 'Download something. Do something else.' Though that might just be something that was pounded into my head back in technical writing class...

Another note: For your Promethean skins pack installation you note copying it's DATA folder inside of the DATA folder for RTRPE + Extended Realism, not into the root folder and then say that putting it inside of the DATA folder (So you end up with \RTRPE\Data\Data which is probably not what you were going for...).

Perhaps:

Installation Instructions:
    1. Have Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition installed over Barbarian Invasion*.
    2. Download my mod.
    3. Copy the DATA folder in the .rar file into the folder you installed RTR PE, note copy into the root (e.g. If you installed to the default directory: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War) and not the DATA folder itself.
    4. If asked to overwrite, click yes to all.

*Instructions for how to install RTRPE 1.7 beta over BI:
    1. Install vanilla RTW-BI.
    2. Patch to version 1.6.
    4. Create a shortcut to RTW-BI.exe.
    5. Open the properties of the shortcut.
    6. Add "-mod:" to the end of the target line.
    e.g. If you installed to the default directory, your target line should look like this: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -mod:

Promethean Roman Legions skin pack:

Instructions for how to install the Promethean Roman Legion skin pack:
    1. Install the Extended Realism mod for RTRPE 1.7 beta as per the instructions.
    2. Copy the DATA folder from the .rar to the folder you installed RTR PE, note copy into the root (e.g. If you installed to the default directory: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War) and not the DATA folder itself.
    3. If asked to overwrite, click yes to all.

Noteably I just wrote this up, quick-like, so it probably isn't perfect nor free from flaws, but it's a good start point for some clearer install instructions.
    No mention of RTRPE 1.6 full install.

Wimper.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow
    No mention of RTRPE 1.6 full install.

Wimper.
    Of course not, RTRPE 1.6 has it's own instructions on how to install it. That was not a general purpose how to install everything at all you need to play Extended Realism Guide... I could write such a guide, but as it would have to go all the way back to installing an O/S... I doubt people would really read it.

Seriously, though, RTRPE 1.6 and the 1.7 beta have their own instructions on how to install them, so when installing said programs... use their instructions. Extended Realism requires a section on how to install them ... to work with BI, because Extended Realism runs under BI, other than that the relevant text for installing Extended Realism is how to install Extended Realism.

Though you are correct, I did not mention the need to have RTRPE 1.7 to install Extended Realism over, like I said... I did that in a hurry and probably made some mistakes. Besides, it was just a suggestion for Candelarius, so you may not ever see my hastily made How to Install Extended Realism text ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhan Zarathustra
    Of course not, RTRPE 1.6 has it's own instructions on how to install it. That was not a general purpose how to install everything at all you need to play Extended Realism Guide... I could write such a guide, but as it would have to go all the way back to installing an O/S... I doubt people would really read it.

Seriously, though, RTRPE 1.6 and the 1.7 beta have their own instructions on how to install them, so when installing said programs... use their instructions. Extended Realism requires a section on how to install them ... to work with BI, because Extended Realism runs under BI, other than that the relevant text for installing Extended Realism is how to install Extended Realism.

Though you are correct, I did not mention the need to have RTRPE 1.7 to install Extended Realism over, like I said... I did that in a hurry and probably made some mistakes. Besides, it was just a suggestion for Candelarius, so you may not ever see my hastily made How to Install Extended Realism text ever again.

Aww I feel bad now. Soweee.
    PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

But, I think you should try to rephrase this:
    to something like:
    Install RTRPE to the folder where you have the game.

The problem with your description is that it can be read as " you only need RTRPE v1.7" to play Candelarius` mod. And RTRPE v1.7 is currently just a patch and also needs a full install(v1.4 or v1.6). It can cause problems as some try to get Candelarius` mod before trying RTRPE so they only follow those instructions.

Even so , there are some conflicting instructions regarding the installation of RTRPE in here, the most notable being in a certain persons thread (who shall remain nameless) where it says to copy RTRPE 1.7 into the BI part of the RTW installtion.
    PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow
    Even so , there are some conflicting instructions regarding the installation of RTRPE in here, the most notable being in a certain persons thread (who shall remain nameless) where it says to copy RTRPE 1.7 into the BI part of the RTW installtion.
    That last instruction sounds to be for anyone wishing to use RTR Platinum with the BI game engine instead of the RTW game engine. that's why there are 2 sets of install instructions. Be certain you are reading the ones for the game engine you wish to use RTR Platinum with.

The game engine for RTW is the "RomeTW.exe" file. The game engine for BI is the "RomeTW-BI.exe" file. Don't confuse yourself and mess up an install because you did not take time to read all of the instructions.
    Marcus Camillus

Yes, I think he means the instructions from Candelarius` mod. They are a little confusing. I`m talking about this part:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=671
    Because he also says about RTRPE AND RTRPE in the same step some may think he is talking about RTRPE v1.6 full install AND RTRPE v1.7 and he instructs to install them in different places. Clearly you shouldn`t install in RTW/BI folder, but in RTW.