Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roman Cavalry

Default Roman Cavalry

I just wish to ckeck which is better, Italian Cavalry or Equites. Usually in RTW Equites are fairly rubbish cavalry, due to their being light cavalry. Ive so far been using Italian Cavalry, and they appear quite competant. But quites have a better charge and better armour according to their stats, which leads me to presume that they are better. But i wanted to check; the better unit, Equites or Italian Cavalry?

Invoker's Avatar Philosopher-King

Default Re: Roman Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by Asiriya
    I just wish to ckeck which is better, Italian Cavalry or Equites. Usually in RTW Equites are fairly rubbish cavalry, due to their being light cavalry. Ive so far been using Italian Cavalry, and they appear quite competant. But quites have a better charge and better armour according to their stats, which leads me to presume that they are better. But i wanted to check; the better unit, Equites or Italian Cavalry?
    Right click on the unit cards on the campaign map and compare the stats, that will tell you which is better.
    Servant in the House of Siblesz under the Patronage of the fallen Crandar.

Mmm, i know, it says that equites are, it just surprised me somewhat.
    Thanks dude

Invoker's Avatar Philosopher-King

Quote Originally Posted by Asiriya
    Mmm, i know, it says that equites are, it just surprised me somewhat.
    Thanks dude
    I find that Roman cavalry in general just sucks. No matter what I do, even when using them properly to get the charge right, I always take heavy cavalry losses.
    Servant in the House of Siblesz under the Patronage of the fallen Crandar.

I find that cavalry is general in RTR is rather weak. There are some exceptions like Kataphractoi (and a few others I can't remember at the moment ) which can last a while if they stay in melee. But most of the other cavalry is only good for charge in the back, retreat, charge in the back kind of tactics

true, but when i have loads of cavalry i just commit it all. you lose some chaps but generally if you get a good charge you just wipe straight through em and rout em. Great on phalanxes too; distract with one cavalry so the AI follows it, then smash it in the back.

About the cavalry being weak. It was discussed in the RTRPE privat forum and the conclusion was that the strong cavalry didn`t appear yet for this time frame. Then it was also decided that they should have high charge to do great damage at impact, but low attack because in the melee the horses would have been at a disadvantage against the infantry and the riders would have had difficulties in handling their long spears from close range. So (just as in reality) you have to charge, retrait and charge again. Also please be sure you charge correctly. See the first post from this topic about what has changed in RTRPE regarding units and the second post about how to use your cavalry correctly.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59640
    About the equites vs italian cavalry I too think that the italians should have higher stats then the equites.

I just use praetoria. Make your faction leader lead an army and the faction heir another and we have like 70 dudes autamatically on huge coupled with a two normal ones as one they are fine.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Trust me you Romans have nothing to worry about when it comes to weak cavalry, the greeks get signifigantly worse faction cavalry and have no AOR units other then the Thessilians.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    About the cavalry being weak. It was discussed in the RTRPE privat forum and the conclusion was that the strong cavalry didn`t appear yet for this time frame. Then it was also decided that they should have high charge to do great damage at impact, but low attack because in the melee the horses would have been at a disadvantage against the infantry and the riders would have had difficulties in handling their long spears from close range. So (just as in reality) you have to charge, retrait and charge again. Also please be sure you charge correctly. See the first post from this topic about what has changed in RTRPE regarding units and the second post about how to use your cavalry correctly.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59640
    About the equites vs italian cavalry I too think that the italians should have higher stats then the equites.

What about cavalry armed only with swords?

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    Those probably wouldn't be too long so the infantry could duck and the cavalry man would have to lean over and then he can be pulled/dragged off.
    Just a guess. I haven't researched this so.....
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    IIRC they were not touched as much, but someone needs to check and compare their stats. This point was brought up during the discussion of the cavalry stats.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Equites (pre-Marian) are definitely better than plain Italian Cav. Should that be changed? I'm working on a moderate unit rebalancing right now, and I can work that in.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    IIRC they were not touched as much, but someone needs to check and compare their stats. This point was brought up during the discussion of the cavalry stats.
    Compare their stats to what?

Good question about the sword cav. I'm honestly not sure if they'd do better in melee than spear cav or not.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit
    Equites (pre-Marian) are definitely better than plain Italian Cav. Should that be changed? I'm working on a moderate unit rebalancing right now, and I can work that in.

Compare their stats to what?

Good question about the sword cav. I'm honestly not sure if they'd do better in melee than spear cav or not.
    With the ones that use spear and especially sarissa. Compare their attack stats. If you want I can sent you a pack that has all the EDUs from RTRPE (since v1.4 I think).

Ah, I see. Sure, I'll take a crack at it. Quinn_Inuit at yahoo.com

Hmmm, I would think that sword would beat spear would beat sarissa in melee, but it would run the other way on charge bonus.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit
    Ah, I see. Sure, I'll take a crack at it. Quinn_Inuit at yahoo.com

Hmmm, I would think that sword would beat spear would beat sarissa in melee, but it would run the other way on charge bonus.
    Exactly. I PMed you the link so you can see how it has evolved through time if you want.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it later on tonight.

Warmaker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Amur_Tiger
    Trust me you Romans have nothing to worry about when it comes to weak cavalry, the greeks get signifigantly worse faction cavalry and have no AOR units other then the Thessilians.
    The problem for the old Greek City-States was that there was not as much of a Cavalry tradition, much less elite, Heavy Cavalry.

Now, when Macedonia under Phillip and Alexander took over and the eventual breakup of Alexander's Empire, then you really began to see it in the Hellenic world.

As for the Romans, the only thing their Cavalry is good for:
    * Moderate Defenses from missile fire.
    * Decent Charge mods.

You can only use Roman Cavalry for:
    - Cavalry Screening for your army, esp. on the flanks.
    - Harass / Destroy Light (non-spear) Infantry.
    - Charge formations from the rear / flank.
    Don't expect them to do much, and you won't be disappointed (as much).

Essentially, you have to treat them as very brittle Hvy.Cavalry.

Send them against Companion type of Cavalry, and they'll get torn to pieces.
    Medium - Heavy Cavalry that they may face will in all likeliness be dangerous for Roman Cavalry.

Still, I keep at 1-2 units of them around in my Legions. But preferrably, I'd rather have AOR / Mercenary Cavalry. Gallic and Sarmatian Cavalry units are great in all roles for Light thru Heavy Cavalry.
    Last edited by Warmaker; September 17, 2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Misspellings
    Rome
    PARCERE SUBIECTIS ET DEBELLARE SUPERBOS
    To spare the conquered and overcome the proud in war - Virgil, on Roman destiny

Would it be possible to give certain cavalry units a 2nd weapon; like some of the spearmen have? A spear/lance to charge with and a sword for melee...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast