Thread: My first campaign ( Chosokabe ) seems to be going crappy!

Default My first campaign ( Chosokabe ) seems to be going crappy!

The Chosokabe start out on a Southern Island with four provinces and a fifth one just East. That's where I'm supposed to expand and take the Shogunate. What I've done is unify my island, and then sail an army to the top of Japan and take Sado. The faction there wasn't at war with anyone, so I took Sado not knowing it had a gold mine, which brings my province count to 6. Also I'm trading with mainland China for raw silk. Meanwhile, the Takeda ( red ) are becoming Takeda-Terrifying with 12 provinces. And the Ito, who have embraced Christianity have painted the entire West island purple, though the diplomacy tab shows them as weak in power. Must be civil disorder from religious dissent.

For my tech, I've just been meandering without a goal. Got way of the bow, way of the sea, farm tech, market tech, all to make farms and trade to make +/- 3000 pesos per turn with one large army at Sado. There really isn't much I can build anymore because my income is much louder than my unfocused research. Just got Chirobu ( farms ) and am upgrading 2-3 farms per turn. My military might is terrible, so what if I have Chosokabe archers? I could have very easily lost that battle for Sado because my army was 90% Ashigaru and Chosokabe archers vs their Yari Samurai and archers. If only their general didn't involve himself in the front and die needlessly.

So that's how it's going, I guess I'll send a Metsuke to the mainland and see what he can do there before raising and sending an army. Any tips for me, that doesn't think my campaign is going to be easily winnable since everyone else has become strong? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...1&d=1379750156
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ArmoredSergeant; September 21, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: My first campaign ( Chosokabe ) seems to be going crappy!

Congratulations for taking Sado. Good move. The clan there is a real pain in the "oshiri" if you don't.

3000 koku (not "pesos" ^_^) per turn is great. My advice would be to take out Ito (purple). You can never form a good alliance with the guys, probably the most backstabbing clan in the game. The key to your current situation is agents, agents, agents. Your Kyushu (western island) is controlled by a Christian clan. Therefore, monks will be important. Send a few around the Ito provinces, inciting unrest and converting the populace to Buddhism. Judging by your income, you were also going the right way with metsuke.

As for an invasion plan, the key province for you to pick up is Tsukushi. If you conquer this - preferably through the medium of inciting unrest with a monk and declaring war on the rebels, as this stops the Ito attacking you - you get Philosophical Tradition. Guard the province with your life. Build a Magistrate and Rice Exchange and start hiring metsuke. At this point you can bribe your way across the southern island, severely weakening Ito power. And yes, Magistrate-trained Metsuke are a godsend. They are the lifeblood of my Hattori campaign. Philosophical tradition FTW.

Thanks for giving me advise for my campaign, Homusubi. Well, the Ito ( purple ) have fallen to the Amako ( grey ) who hate me for no reason, and they are treacherous. So I used Metsuke like you recommended and Shinobi, I had no idea how fast of an invasion it was, but the entire Western island is mine along with the Shogun's Ire event. There are two 100% Christian cities there because I was playing this ridiculous game of banning any and all Zen research, but changed my mind. In the East, the terrifying Takeda ( red ) got betrayed and are being killed by the light grey faction ( Tsutsui? ) that lives next to Kyoto. And the blue faction ( Date ) is capitalizing and solidifying the East. In all this time my base island was never invaded, AI must not know how to send armies via ship.

As the End is Imminent message has shown itself, it's going to be a rush for nine more provinces including Kyoto. The Metsuke are a pain to them and a weapon for me, and I've never had a Metsuke or Shinobi die on a mission. The best Shinobi I have wounded the Amako son and heir, but he hasn't returned to the army he was leading. Unless he spawns back at their capitol.

OK, so you have both islands now? Well done, and thanks for taking my advice.

Next thing is to get rid of the Amako. Get two full army stacks and a few metsuke into the region. Start from Nagato. Send one army up the northern side of the coast (Nagato, Iwami, Izumo...) and the other up the south (Suo, Aki, Bingo...). If you have enough money, use the metsuke to bribe the first few cities to get a foothold. Either that or bribe any Amako armies you come across. The AI has a habit of splitting its armies up which makes them easily bribed. March onwards and take Kyoto that way. Bear in mind that you need to control Settsu province in order to win as the Chosokabe.

Don't worry about the eastern clans. Date never get as far as Kyoto, and Tsutsui almost always expand east, so neither should be problematic.

Defeat! I was stupid and thought I had until 1590, but it was really 1575 that was the deadline. Just as I was chewing up the Amako with metsuke. Also, a pink faction ( Asai ) arose in middle Japan and another green faction a little more East. Lesson learned, I shouldn't have turtled and been weak at seeing blood for so long, and married the son and heir to a shrew just for fun. Anyway, thanks Homusubi! Move on to hard campaign, or mod it with Darthmod? Played on normal just for the feel of Shogun 2.

I've found that on the battlefield the enemy AI doesn't care if it is defending, it will advance toward me even when their Daimyo has only 2 units and I have 3x that. Siege, I'm very afraid of their bows if I'm attacking. Naval, I hate medium bunes and how my firebombers are capped. Diplomacy, I find everyone more reasonable than Empire, and it didn't seem that there was this hidden resentment stat that makes everyone hate me, because realm divide will take care of it. The Amako even asked for peace, which I counteroffered with them giving me 1000 Koku, which they refused.

Future games, I will spend more on navy, Date had this unholy armada seconded by the Tsutsui. Glad I got this game in my Steam library.
    Last edited by ArmoredSergeant; September 27, 2013 at 04:17 AM.

Depending on the length and difficulty of the campaign, you can only conquer so many provinces before Realm Divide. Figure out beforehand which ones you want to hold while you work up to taking on Kyoto. Also, figure out the force composition you're most comfortable with. As a general rule, if you do auto resolve, numbers count.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

arten800's Avatar Civis

My first campaign with the Chosokabe was amazing I chose the domination campaign so what I did was first conquer Shikoku after that expand into the mainland by fighting against the Kikkabate[who had 4 provinces and defeated the Mori]Amako[4 lands] and another clan which had I think 3 lands.So that was a pain in the ass but after gaining 16 provinces I made the Urukami and Yamana my vassals[really random and had to kill them off after destroying every other clan][Yamana betrayed me so I made them pay].but during that more pain came as Urukami my vassals declared war Against the Hattori[16 lands],Oda[14 lands] and Ashikaga Shogunate,I rejected it and tried to expand to Kyushu defeating Amako and Kikibate but then Hattori attacked me and my long 20 year journey[extra turns mod][8 turns per season][20+years too]of expanding to Kyushu and destroying the Hattori.I finally did it destroyed the Hattori,Amako and Kikibate but after that Oda who had Terrifying power and Spectacular economy[26 provinces]declared war on me and the Ito[who ruled the whole of Kyushu too]So while fighting against the Oda again[had a peace treaty while destroying the Hattori] I set out to conquer Kyush with my General forgot his name so lets call him Chuck Norris.Jr who has won 30 decisive battles during the whole campaign[no lie here]destroyed the Ito and became the ruler of Kyushu[so I just made him stay there to fend off Christian Rebels]I went to war with the Oda who destroyed my allies Hatakeyama and Takeda during my war with Hattori and so I attacked Oda but also the Ikko Ikki who respawned out of nowhere also fought with them after some 5 years I reduced the Oda to 15 provinces and declared war against the Ikko Ikki who were getting more powerful so when I went to war with them I conquered two of their lands which was easy but then when I went for the third one I discovered the Ikko Ikki had a cluster of full stacked army so I had 3 generals including the legendary Motochika conquer that land[during that time I was getting 160,000 koku per turn] and so I went to destroy both Oda nd Ikko Ikki after reducing the Ikko Ikki to 3 lands Ikko Ikki sent 20,000 soilders to the newest conquered castle fighting against my 12,000 soilders but we lost and Motochika died after that I signed I peace treaty with both clans and made alot of armies and during that the Oda betrayed me in the 6th turn of the treaty and attacked me so I also did the same with the Ikko Ikki and got my revenge and destroyed the Ikko Ikki after that I went to war against the Oda and the Honma and another clan so I destroyed them which took me 5 years to conquer 15 provinces and after that Oshu was the only region left and I went to war with the Mogami and destroyed them too[Fukushiwa was a pain in the ass] and then every province of Japan except Kyoto was mine and then I destroyed my vassals and went for Kyoto and easily conquered it and I lost jus 260 men too and so I became the emperor of Japan
    ARE YOU READY,LETS GO,PUT YA GUNS ON!-Date Masamune[Sengoku Basara]