View Poll Results: What name for the Mod would you prefer. vote or the sea people will come for you!

Voters
542. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heroic Age: Total War

47 8.67%
  • Total War: Ancient Civilazations

39 7.20%
  • Total War: Dawn of Civilazations

73 13.47%
  • Total War: Age of Bronze

366 67.53%
  • Total War: Dusk of an Era

17 3.14%
Page 7 of 146 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Bronze - General Discussion

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Total War: Age of Bronze [1400 - 1200 B.C.]

Quote Originally Posted by Brivime View Post
    I would be strongly opposed to a "proto-arab tribes" faction.
    They should have a proper name and proper depiction, the Assyrians called the Arabs "Aribi" which is a word of Akkadian origin.

To clarify I am from Mossul in Iraq and we have a strong Assyrian and Arab culture here.
    Adding to this, they should not be running around with robes and turbans.

Iron dome helmets and bronze scale armour for the big boys and some long robes and a shield on the chest (like the Assyrians) for the little guys.

Turbans should be depicted properly the current one in Total War is a shia-iranian style.
    The tail of the turban should cover the neck and most Arabs in armies had it covering most of the face and neck.

Another thing please, BEARDS.
    I have no idea why they don't have beards in Vanilla, beards were a sign of maturity and courage.

Also please please please make these factions playable.

You will be the first ancient mod I see to actually put any effort into the Arabs.

I searched quickly and I found this link:
    http://books.google.nl/books?id=EbIV...201400&f=false

Might be of use to you!

billydilly's Avatar Senator

@ Brivime

Feel free to add names to the list in post #119. I'll update later.

I have used the Rome 2 faction list and added some names. Of course factions shouldn't be called "Proto..."-anything, but it is difficult to find names. If you check out the Rome 2 map here: http://maps.totalwar.com/?mode=explorer then you will see that there are 7 minor factions in Arabia that need names
    Last edited by billydilly; October 02, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

so i put all you guys in the team (if i forgot someone tell me!). you're now at the front page listed as researchers and advisors.

also i added the faction list to the first post. it will be updated as the research proceds!

Adding to this, they should not be running around with robes and turbans.

Iron dome helmets and bronze scale armour for the big boys and some long robes and a shield on the chest (like the Assyrians) for the little guys.

Turbans should be depicted properly the current one in Total War is a shia-iranian style.
    The tail of the turban should cover the neck and most Arabs in armies had it covering most of the face and neck.

Another thing please, BEARDS.
    I have no idea why they don't have beards in Vanilla, beards were a sign of maturity and courage.

Also please please please make these factions playable.

You will be the first ancient mod I see to actually put any effort into the Arabs.
    ah sounds cool, i'll totally do this. we got the needed unit parts!
    i also like the name "Aribi". so people know what they are and its different and new
    a few things i need:
    type of shield
    type of sword
    is the persian turban ok, that covers all the face?

seven arabian factions.
    damn, thats a lot
    but the more factions we got, the better!

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Re: Bronze Age: Total War [1400 - 1200 B.C.]

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    yeah i know, but i dont give a . *desperately tries to be cool*
    i will just call mycenaeans mycenaeans and not what-the-heck-ever-they-called-themselves. but troy wouldnt be troia or illiad but wilusa. yeah, science!
    and if you decode Linear A for me i could even give the creatan dudes their real names.

anyways, here are some screenies of early unit version.
    i request some constructive criticism!
    but keep in mind: we cant make new models yet! i have to use existing ones! and yes i know, they should use bronze spears, but i didnt retexture them yet

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

wilusian (troian) heavy noble spearmen

wilusian levy spearmen

achaean levy spearmen

Those units look great. Whats the point of making your own models when you have obviously created these units? You made these shields and the armour right? Or were they already in the game?

they were already in the game.
    but some of them unused. and i combined some helmets with other crests

in the next version some of the mycenaean will have big rectangular shields too, some of them will be topless and some will have greaves.

fantastic idea
    make it hapen

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    so i put all you guys in the team (if i forgot someone tell me!). you're now at the front page listed as researchers and advisors.
    I think you forgot me? or you don't want me in team?

please let me know if there is any specific subject you want me to research on (i.e. architecture/city layouts) , until then i'll keep providing snippets of historical research

sure, sorry greekmen
    @trinhbot and all the other willing researchers:

possible assyrian army roster of this period wanted!
    NOTE: please no iron age stuff. you can find too much 7th century stuff! GO!

haha awesome, i'm commanding my own little army of voluntary researchers
    WORLD DOMINATION HERE I COME!

EDIT: a little researcher-bird has told me there is no evidence for an israelite faction. there will be hebrew or canaaite mercenairies maybe, but the israelites are not worth owning an entire province that was controlled by the egyptians anyways.
    bible only is not accepted as a source. it has to match other peoples records in that era.
    Last edited by PunitorMaximus; October 02, 2013 at 03:20 PM.

ok sounds good, should be a fun challenge. what i do know right now is that the assyrian army wasn't the professional fighting force most people know about, it was made up of levies and farmers so not so much heavy infantry like what we would expect from an iron age assyrian force. I'll find out more when I look around in my university library

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Punitor what I meant was that there is plenty of evidence for Israelites in the southern levant in this period. But even if you accept the Bible 100 % at face value there was virtually nothing which could distinguish them as any different to outside empires than other semitic groups in the levant (with the partial exception of the Egyptians.) They had no real effect on international politics. Neither the Bible or archaeological information indicate the level of importance necessary to include them as a full blown faction. A tiny confederacy of tribes which occasionally fought with Canaanite kinglets, cities or tribes was no concern to outside world. I want to stop any flamewars before they start.
    Last edited by Prince of Judah; October 02, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

yep. so just mercenairies, no?

ok sounds good, should be a fun challenge. what i do know right now is that the assyrian army wasn't the professional fighting force most people know about, it was made up of levies and farmers so not so much heavy infantry like what we would expect from an iron age assyrian force. I'll find out more when I look around in my university library
    cool, looking forward to it!

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

First off, heres a picture of a bronze age assyrian ive managed to find:

and heres your assyrian roster(bronze age assyrians spoke akkadian it seems, so many of these unit names are in that language)
    In my research I found Old assyria was influenced heavily by Akkadian culture, so some of their roster is based on similar akkadian militaries of the time period:
    General-turtānu
    elite Swordsmen-namṣāru muqtablu
    levy spearmen-ālik madaktu ša-arīti
    levy swords-ālik madaktu ṭabḫu
    Cappadocian colonists(assyrian immigrants who settled in that region of Turkey, axemen)-kalmakru ubāru
    Hurrian mercenaries(horsemen, later unit)-Hanigalbat ša pētḫalli
    levy bowmen-nāš qašti madaktu
    noble chariots-ašarēdu attartu

hope you enjoy tell me if you need images, more stuff revisions etc.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; October 03, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

very nice find. thank you.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Ive updated the Iberian roster for the Bronze age, tell me what you think
    Due to the ungodly difficulty in finding pre-celtic placenames and tribal names many of these are either best guesses or in my semi-hypothetical reconstructions of proto-basque as it and Iberian seem to be related.
    Cantabri = Mendagerli
    Galleaci = Kalneki
    Arevaci = Auedcaei
    Edetani = honestly, they seem to have the same name in the bronze age too, correct me if im wrong
    Celtici =Takoibaza
    These faction names take forever so ill fill in the rest later.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi Punitor, taking a break from your WW1 mod i see?

Just on the subject of this mod though, i think it would be cool to start at a more exact date of significance. I was thinking maybe 1392bc, the year the Assyrian's gained independence from the Mitanni Empire, which would greatly influence the following centuries to come. If you do go with 1400bc, and Assyria is a satrapy or vassal state of Mitanni, have you any thoughts on how they would break away from their overlords? Increased aggression in diplomacy or something?

I don't think you will have so much work to do really though when you think about it (as opposed to your total conversion ww1 mod ) there are the core factions of the time period which are from memory Egypt, Babylon, Elam, Hittites, Mitanni, Assyria. Then there are the Greek states, which are interesting but similar, the other smaller eastern factions like Troia, Sea People, etc. But then for the rest of the map you can basically just have similar copy factions, especially in Africa and Northern Europe. Maybe give these factions some severe public order penalties when they get over a number of settlements so as not to have a huge Celtic empire rise up when the focus is on the east. You seem to be doing a great job in terms of units so far with limited resources so i can't wait to see what you can do when they actually let us model properly...

Also, in response to @Dontfearme22, this mods time frame is maybe a bit later than the Old Assyrian era and the Akkadians, this is the beginning of "Middle-Assyria" when they grew to the height of their power, militarily and culturally. They even had one of the first 'professional' standing armies, well trained and equipped (though i do believe they were still citizen soldiers and not fully professional) so i think maybe they should have a few more units than just levies, or alternatively have levies at the start and then create the standing army through a series of reforms (technologies).

Just some ideas, will check back occasionally to see how things are progressing here, very interested! Keep up the good work!

hope you enjoy tell me if you need images, more stuff revisions etc.
    yes, i do! thanks! this goes straight to the first post, where i collect all the relevant info, to make it easier for me to find it!
    images of helmets and armour (if existent) would be great. so i know what to tinker

Cantabri = Mendagerli
    Galleaci = Kalneki
    Arevaci = Auedcaei
    Edetani = honestly, they seem to have the same name in the bronze age too, correct me if im wrong
    Celtici =Takoibaza
    nice work, i'll take it!
    you have knowledge of proto-basque? impressive.
    so i guess you're basque....

Just on the subject of this mod though, i think it would be cool to start at a more exact date of significance. I was thinking maybe 1392bc, the year the Assyrian's gained independence from the Mitanni Empire, which would greatly influence the following centuries to come. If you do go with 1400bc, and Assyria is a satrapy or vassal state of Mitanni, have you any thoughts on how they would break away from their overlords? Increased aggression in diplomacy or something?
    sounds reliable. i'd go for 1392 BC.
    what do you other guys think?

billydilly's Avatar Senator

1392 BC sounds good.

Is there any info regarding units/armies?
    Infantry was dominant at the time, some cavalry and chariots.

I guess there should be some levels:
    Light: Spearmen, swords, axes, javelins, archers?, slingers?
    Medium troops: Spearmen, swords, javelins, archers and cavalry
    Heavy troops: Spearmen/Pikemen, swords,axes, cavalry and chariots
    Elite: ...
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    1392 BC sounds good.

Is there any info regarding units/armies?
    Infantry was dominant at the time, some cavalry and chariots.

I guess there should be some levels:
    Light: Spearmen, swords, axes, javelins, archers?, slingers?
    Medium troops: Spearmen, swords, javelins, archers and cavalry
    Heavy troops: Spearmen/Pikemen, swords,axes, cavalry and chariots
    Elite: ...
    assyrians were famed for their archers and the composite bow, so we could have elite archers. camels were not used until 1000 BC and cavalry wasn't mentioned until the reign of Tukulti-Ninurta II in the 9th century. of course, chariots were used before so that means we still have a cavalry option.