View Poll Results: What name for the Mod would you prefer. vote or the sea people will come for you!

Voters
542. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heroic Age: Total War

47 8.67%
  • Total War: Ancient Civilazations

39 7.20%
  • Total War: Dawn of Civilazations

73 13.47%
  • Total War: Age of Bronze

366 67.53%
  • Total War: Dusk of an Era

17 3.14%
Page 10 of 146 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Bronze - General Discussion

Default Re: Total War: Age of Bronze [1400 - 1200 B.C.]

Im still thinking, "old greek" is a very big branch, you have Byzantium Greek, Mycenaean Greek, Dorian Greek, Macedonian Greek. If I translate myself I maybe can get it as far to Byzantium Greek, but often you can also find a lot of ancient names on google, I will look for you later.

Sorry that im asking it so much, but which city are you going to give to the Achaeans? Maybe you can give them magna graecia or another town in greece?
    Otherwise you have to recruit them for the Mycenaean, then I need to update the roster, I maybe already want to add some units to the roster for mycenaean like Thessalian Warriors.

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

I'll be looking for anything helpful on Babylonian and Assyrian rosters. Also I'm going to send you some mapping software once i get it working. By that i mean software about the ancient world.

Sounds like an amazing idea. WANT WANT WANT

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Im still thinking, "old greek" is a very big branch, you have Byzantium Greek, Mycenaean Greek, Dorian Greek, Macedonian Greek. If I translate myself I maybe can get it as far to Byzantium Greek, but often you can also find a lot of ancient names on google, I will look for you later.

Sorry that im asking it so much, but which city are you going to give to the Achaeans? Maybe you can give them magna graecia or another town in greece?
    Otherwise you have to recruit them for the Mycenaean, then I need to update the roster, I maybe already want to add some units to the roster for mycenaean like Thessalian Warriors.
    as far as you can go back without problems.
    some words are in achaean greek in this article, if this helps to explain myself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycenaean_Greece

feel free to add all achaean, thessalian, or any other reliable mercenairies for mycenae. the bigger the roster the better

I'll be looking for anything helpful on Babylonian and Assyrian rosters. Also I'm going to send you some mapping software once i get it working. By that i mean software about the ancient world.
    interactive maps?
    sounds almost as good as the rosters

here, take a look at my latest creations and criticise me!
    i tried to make mycenaean pikemen with the resources i got. i think the hittite light axemen turned out quite accurate...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

mycenaean light pikemen

hittite light axemen

Please show some Egyptian Kopesh unit and charriots. Here some Egyptian units battling the sea people: http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/PLATE11DX.HTML

new units look awesome only criticism i have is that many Hittite warriors had very long hair, and their long hair is a pretty distinct characteristic. the Egyptians mocked them and called them women warriors because of their hairstyle. So maybe changing the heads to other heads with longer hair? besides that, i love the units, especially the mycanaeans. As soon as you can model the tusk helmets they will be perfect!

some more loading screens i made real quick. all of them are Philistine/Sea Peoples

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Are you in able to add new factions?

If so then I have a Recommendation, first of all you should really make magna graecia to the Achaeans, because they colonized there much cities, both in bronze age as in iron age. Ofcourse I will make some Achaean Mercenaries for the Mycenaean Roster.

New Mycenaean Roster:

Elite
    Mycenaean Royal Guard
    Mycenaean War Chariots
    Myrmidons (If you want ) (if you don't know who they are, it are Achilles Soldiers)

Heavy
    Mycenaean Nobles
    Achaean Heavy Spearman (Very Armored)
    Achaean Heavy Swordman (Very Armored)

Medium
    Mycenaean (Armored) Spearman
    Mycenaean (Armored) Swordsman
    Thessalian Warriors
    Achaean Two-Handed Stone Hammerman (is this possible you think?)
    Minoan Archers

Light
    Mycenaean Axeman
    Mycenaean (Light) Spearman
    Mycenaean (Light) Swordman
    Mycenaean (Light) Pikeman (not really pike, but longer spears)
    Mycenaean Levy Spearman
    Mycenaean Javalinman
    Mycenaean Slingers

I will make later a roster for the Dorians, Achaeans, Thesprotians and the "Trojans"

By the way, you want the translation in Greeklish (latin letters) or in Greek? (greek letters), I dont know if rome 2 support greek letters.

A dorian warrior attacking a mycenaean warriors:

EDIT:

Nice Mycenaean light pikeman, but they are a bit too "naked", you should give them a bit more clothes/light armor
    The unit you have now on the picture is perfect for levy spearman.

you have to make the light units like this:

Maybe for the light units you can make a variaton of 3-4 armors like above.
    You can put some breastnaked in it, but only breastnaked units is not so nice. (expect for the levy)

Copyrighted images removed. ~Chloe
    Last edited by Legio; November 25, 2013 at 06:35 AM.

Please show some Egyptian Kopesh unit and charriots. Here some Egyptian units battling the sea people:
    i would totally do that if i wasable to make new models.....it'snot possible at the moment to make a kopesh :disgust

new units look awesome only criticism i have is that many Hittite warriors had very long hair, and their long hair is a pretty distinct characteristic. the Egyptians mocked them and called them women warriors because of their hairstyle. So maybe changing the heads to other heads with longer hair? besides that, i love the units, especially the mycanaeans. As soon as you can model the tusk helmets they will be perfect!
    yep i know, but i culdnt find such a hairstyle combinable with helmets.
    do you know one? if yes, please tell me the unit who is wearing it!

considering the tusk helmets: in the 14th and 13th ct the mycenaeans began to build tusk-helmet inspired bronze helmets with tusk scriblings on them.
    so it's true, we will need a tusk helmet, but we can combine them with bronze helmets for greater variety
    also i want to make cowskin shields later and give the mycenaeans shorter hair!

some more loading screens i made real quick. all of them are Philistine/Sea Peoples
    again, magnificent work! thx a bunch!

Are you in able to add new factions?

If so then I have a Recommendation, first of all you should really make magna graecia to the Achaeans, because they colonized there much cities, both in bronze age as in iron age. Ofcourse I will make some Achaean Mercenaries for the Mycenaean Roster.
    no, not yet :/ in custom battle yes, but in campaign not. we have to use existing factions.

so rome will be Achaean clonies and should own magna graecia without sicily. Check!

Myrmidons (If you want ) (if you don't know who they are, it are Achilles Soldiers)
    is this a joke? ofcourse i know them. i made dis:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...lite-Swordsmen

anyways, i like the roster pretty much now, it provides much diversity.
    the hammerman are ant the moment not possible....except you know a vanilla unit with hammer

I will make later a roster for the Dorians, Achaeans, Thesprotians and the "Trojans"

By the way, you want the translation in Greeklish (latin letters) or in Greek? (greek letters), I dont know if rome 2 support greek letters.

A dorian warrior attacking a mycenaean warriors:
    sounds great! our name for troia is "Wilusa". the hittites name for illion :thumsbup2

greeklish please. so people can read it!

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

I have revised the Arabian roster, included faction units and included faction units.

[SKIRMISH]

Nas Jaridim - Militia Javelinmen
    Gamali Rumata - Camel Archers
    Rumata - Archers

[LIGHT]

Ur'darak Saif - Light Swordsmen
    Rumahan Adaim - Tribal Spearmen
    Bani Dushara [Bado unit] - Sons of Dushara (Swordsmen)

[MEDIUM]
    Jabbur Ramahan - Spearmen
    Jabbur Sayfim - Swordsmen
    Jabbur Ashuri [Kedarite unit] - Assyrian Warriors
    Bani Ilmaqh [Bado unit] - Sons of Ilmaqh (Spearmen)
    Yehuda Jabburim [South Arabian unit] - Jewish Warriors

[HEAVY]

Jolon Mjann - Round Shield Axemen
    Az Jabbur - Heavy Warriors [Swordsmen]
    Nas'i Elah [Kedarite unit] Men of God [Monotheistic Swordsmen]

[ELITE/GENERAL BODYGUARD]
    Ramatan Malk = Royal Archers
    Muhimim al Rabb - General's Bodyguard

Nice Mycenaean light pikeman, but they are a bit too "naked", you should give them a bit more clothes/light armor
    The unit you have now on the picture is perfect for levy spearman.

you have to make the light units like this:

Maybe for the light units you can make a variaton of 3-4 armors like above.
    You can put some breastnaked in it, but only breastnaked units is not so nice.
    thanks and is noted

I have revised the Arabian roster, included faction units and included faction units.
    very good, thx!
    for the jewish and assyrian warriors...shouldnt we call them mercenairies?
    ah yeah, what god were the men of god worshipping?

Brivime, there were no Arab monotheistic swordsmen at this time. I am not trying to start a flamewar, but 'Men of God' makes no sense and should not be included. There also should not be any Jewish people in south Arabia at this time. I do not know where you are coming up with this stuff. The only monotheist group in the entire world were the Hebrews at this time, and even the Bible says that they were very bad monotheists because their was constant fighting between Yahwists and idolators.

Punitor, you work on the pikemen is good but I think the tower shields are too big to use with those pikes. I think their shields were smaller and strapped to their soldiers. The Egyptians DID have huge tower shields with spears of similar link from 600-300 BC, but that is much much later.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Judah View Post
    Brivime, there were no Arab monotheistic swordsmen at this time. I am not trying to start a flamewar, but 'Men of God' makes no sense and should not be included. There also should not be any Jewish people in south Arabia at this time. I do not know where you are coming up with this stuff. The only monotheist group in the entire world were the Hebrews at this time, and even the Bible says that they were very bad monotheists because their was constant fighting between Yahwists and idolators.

Punitor, you work on the pikemen is good but I think the tower shields are too big to use with those pikes. I think their shields were smaller and strapped to their soldiers. The Egyptians DID have huge tower shields with spears of similar link from 600-300 BC, but that is much much later.

I'm afraid your wrong Habibi.

You will notice how I made them Kedarite only? The Jews of Mesopotamia did state that the Kedarites worshipped one God in a similar religion to theirs. That is why I made them.

I'm not one to take historic information from religious books either, but:

" In the Babylonian Talmud, which was passed down orally for centuries before being transcribed c. 500 AD, in tractate Taanis (folio 5b), it is said that most Qedarites worshiped the same one god as the Jews and had a religion very close to Judaism and a few odd Qedarites worshiped pagan gods ."

You will notice that I have only based that one unit on Monotheism as well.

As for the Jews in South Arabia the inspiration for that was behind the story of king Tuba for Yemen who converted to Judaism when on campaign and brought it to his people.

The translations:
    It toke me a long long time to find them

Elite

Mycenaean Royal Guard= Mikinaïkí Equeta
    Mycenaean War Chariots= Mikinaïkí Epiqoi
    Myrmidons = Myrmidones

Heavy
    Mycenaean Nobles = Mikinaïkí Tereta (In minoan basilewes)
    Achaean Heavy Spearman (Very Armored) = Achaioi Thoraks Enkhesi Kekide, Kurewe or Pediewes
    Achaean Heavy Swordman (Very Armored) = Achaioi Thoraks Phasgana Kekide, Kurewe or Pediewes

Medium
    Mycenaean (Armored) Spearman = Mikinaïkí Enkhesi Kekide, Kurewe or Pediewes
    Mycenaean (Armored) Swordsman = Mikinaïkí Phasgana Kekide, Kurewe or Pediewes
    Thessalian Warriors = Petthalían Kekide, Kurewe or Pediewes (Petthalían is ancient Thessalian greek for Thessalian)
    Minoan Archers = Minikós Tokosota

Light
    Mycenaean Axeman = Mikinaïkí Aksones
    Mycenaean Light Spearman = Mikinaïkí Enkhesi Epikowo
    Mycenaean Light Swordman = Mikinaïkí Phasgana Epikowo
    Mycenaean Light Pikeman (not really pike, but longer spears)= Mikinaïkí Akosonija Epikowo
    Mycenaean Levy Spearman = Mikinaïkí Enkhesi Kitita
    Mycenaean Javalinman = Mikinaïkí Paltaia Epikowo
    Mycenaean Slingers= Mikinaïkí Sphentóna (this is not Mycenaean Greek because I couldn't find the word.)

Kekide, Kurewe or Pediewes are all 3 a term for a soldier/man(-at-arms), choose the one you like the most

All words are Mycenaean Greek.

By the way Mycenaean Pikes are 3m long I just read.
    Last edited by greekmen; October 06, 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Either way, very little is known about the Aribi in this time frame which is why these religious units may seem a bit modern. It's up to the developer if he wants to leave them out or not but I think they would make an interesting addition.

You are right, we don't know enough. But there is nothing to indicate that there was any monotheism at all. The only possibility was the ancient Hebrew confederacy and some would say they didn't even exist (which they would be wrong about) or their were practicing monolatry, not pure monotheism. I think we should not base units off of deities unless we have actual data on it. Example, we can with Egyptians because they had divisions named after perspective gods. (well actually probably not units, as they weren't types of soldiers but divisions of many types of soldiers) Brivime, Since you speak Arabic, could you look for Arabic scholarship on the bronze age? Also, and even more important, could you look for archaeological work done on Bronze Age Arabia on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    thanks and is noted

very good, thx!
    for the jewish and assyrian warriors...shouldnt we call them mercenairies?
    ah yeah, what god were the men of god worshipping?
    The god they were worshipping isn't mentioned in the Babylonian talmud.
    It's up to you if you want them to be Mercs since your the boss but I'd say factional mercs then.

I have a new faction for your mod!

the Nuraghe from Sardinia, they live their from 1600- 238 vr Chr.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuraghe

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Judah View Post
    You are right, we don't know enough. But there is nothing to indicate that there was any monotheism at all. The only possibility was the ancient Hebrew confederacy and some would say they didn't even exist (which they would be wrong about) or their were practicing monolatry, not pure monotheism. I think we should not base units off of deities unless we have actual data on it. Example, we can with Egyptians because they had divisions named after perspective gods. (well actually probably not units, as they weren't types of soldiers but divisions of many types of soldiers) Brivime, Since you speak Arabic, could you look for Arabic scholarship on the bronze age? Also, and even more important, could you look for archaeological work done on Bronze Age Arabia on the internet?
    I agree with you completely but still, consider the Kabaa built by Abraham in Arabia? Either way I would say leave it to the developer to decide.

Also what do you mean by scholarship? Most Arabic presentations on ancient Arabia mainly focus on the emergence of Islam I'd say most of our ancient history has been forgotten by the Arab people.