Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Give Us Back Quality Unit Cards

Default Re: Give Us Back Quality Unit Cards

Compared to Shogun 2 the UI and Unit Card Design is like from the year 1980. Quality = 0. Speaking about 40% more budget.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Now this is some whining I can get behind! Actually I hate the art style for the unit cards and for buildings. It doesn't ruin the game for me, but It detracts a bit from the overall experience. I hope that modders eventually address this issue, but even then I could see having a variety of modded, DLC, and vanilla units with different cards and art styles as being obnoxious. Most likely we will have to just get behind the unit cards and get used to them until complete overhaul mods come out with their own styles of art.

I can get over the very small differences between the cards, which makes them hard to differentiate. What I can't get over is the poor decisions made in the functionality of the cards. For starters, the cards show the number of men currently in the unit by the little green bar at the bottom which is hard to simply glance at. When you scroll over the card to get the actual numbers you get the current number of men out of the max size the unit can be, not what was the total number of men at the start of the battle. This means unless you memorize the total number of men in every unit at the start of a battle you won't be able to tell how many men a specific unit has lost and instead have to guess by the green bar. It is design choices like this that are all over the game; they are not limited to just the unit cards.

While they are (not great but) okay stylistically, they don't really work as icons nor do they convey necessary game info - totally fail as readily identifiable unit ID... I found I constantly had to mouse over the unit card and read description / stats - after 8+ hours of trial play, I have not learned to identify various post-Marian legionnaire units from each other.

There are also some ranged cavalry units (Mercenaries) that had the same graphic as non-ranged cavalry.

Aesthetics wise - the art style does not change depending on the faction, remaining fusion of caveman art with greek pottery across the world... Which suggests both serious time constraints to UI design and implementation.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ajtboy View Post
    What happen? These Unit Cards are garbage. CA either glossed over or simply skimped on graphical design and effort into this part of the game. I've seen the BS video they've posted trying to spin "Why" they changed them...BS as I said. Yes there are a lot of unit cards to make, but this should never have been an issue.

RTW and all related MOD's had great unit cards. Same with MTW2...then it took a step down in ETW...and another step down in STW2...with the ultimate pile of dog poop we have now. Might has will have made stick figures as drawings. Not only do they look poor, they are vanilla and hard to distinguish btw unit types. Not to mention we have to click into our wonderful slow Encyclopedia...a whole other issue.

I am not expert Modder, I can fiddle with script files, and txt files...that's about it. I know the amount of time and effort it would require to overhaul the unit cards in this game...but is ANYONE doing it?
    signed
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

I like the current style and have no problem identifying the various different units, granted:

Ive not tried out the Romans yet...
    Don't be a prick, don't be a whiny little child - Stop White Genocide and Praise Jesus.

Very nice, Getting a good picture everybody? So we look nice and handsome and thin? Thank you. -The God Emperor, creating world peace and unforgettable memes
    https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/statu...48737210662912 <-- Unforgettable face.

The artwork isn't that bad, it's just that they weren't designed to easily differentiate units from each other, and the lack of colour makes this even harder. A general from Carthage is almost identical to Carthaginian Cavalry, for example. Even the icons at the top of the card are too small to help with identification.

There needed to have some things to help differentiate, like certain units like generals and pikemen posing facing the left, whilst other units like regular cavalry and hoplites face the right.

In the end it feels like the graphical designer that made them has no idea how important things like easy identification is to players that will be relying on them. As one person once said, they look like amateur work done by some intern.
    Last edited by daelin4; September 19, 2013 at 07:14 PM.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

The cards IMO are fine, the issue is how mixed the UI is. Like they tried about 5 different UI's and just lumped them together.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

I like the unit cards but it lacks info.... Aside from that, its taking too much space in screen especially in double layer..

Shogun 2 unit cards were top quality, but so was the entire game in terms of work put into it, details, nice interface, ect ect. You can argue if you are not into that era or region, but that's another story.

CA claimed the cards would grow on me. They have not..

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

From a pure aesthetic and emersion point of view i think its good. Only really seen the barbarian cards though, but i will admit, from the battle interface they are counter intuitive. Everything looks like blue squiggles and the only way to tell them apart from a distance is one card might have a tri circular blue thing on his shield. The unit cards look massive compared to the other games - i'm assuming because they would be more difficult to read.
    Combine this with the fact that the battles are incredibly fast (full stack 1vs 1 taking 5 mins with 3 min actual combat and 2 mins of waiting)

They have grown on my a lot. I wouldn't mind a bit of more differentiation in similar units. I personally like these old ancient style paintings.

Only issue I have with the current unit card in RTW2 is how big they are, takes up to much space on the screen than it should.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

My only issue with the unit cards is that they don't fit with the background. They are much more appealing in this picture which has a cohesive art style.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

There are a lot of things that need fixing/changing in the game (bugs, etc) but this is purely a matter of taste. I happen to like the cards, certainly much more so than the ones from the original Rome. It's incorrect to portray this as some sort of poor quality feature.

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

You memorize them by sight eventually. The bigger problem is that the number of men in the unit isn't shown on the card, and that vital info (energy level for example) are only accessible by hovering your mouse.

THey're just way too big

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    a) art is a matter of personal taste, for the most part.

b) the artwork displayed in the unit cards is made by professional artists, and when i say professional i don't just mean they got paid for it, i mean they probably have extensive experience, studies and, since they work at a big company i'd say talent as well.

So... are you guys that your taste for art is somehow more valid than theirs? Specially taking into account that most of you probably don't have serious studies in art&design.

I personally think that, while not perfect, the concept is great, and most of the heavier-elite unit cards i've seen look amazing.

And btw, if you are telling me that, artistically, this:

http://img.brothersoft.com/screensho...256715107.jpeg

looks better than this....

http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content...lrg.jpg?cda6c1

then we have a problem, buddy.
    "Art" you say? This is Picasso:

^ Art. I can't imagine video game with this .... art. Can you? Maybe TW Rome 3? So don't talk about art, you don't need "studies in art&design" to say that video game unit cards are ugly, eyes are enough.. and R2 unit cards are ugly, cloned, (over)simplistic, CHEAP.
    -two colours, two c/paste patterns, two days work- instead of two weeks.. and no, they are not 'artistic' they look like toilet icons
    Last edited by arthuros; September 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    My only issue with the unit cards is that they don't fit with the background. They are much more appealing in this picture which has a cohesive art style.

Holy crap I want that UI.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast