Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thank you ca and jack you may save rome 2 after all.

Default Re: Thank you ca and jack you may save rome 2 after all.

What challenge? Capture points make the game exceptionally easy for me. The AI is so impressively stupid they only care about the capture point, and will simply try to run through my men to get to it at ALL COSTS and being slaughtered in the process. Not to mention it's very, very easy to capture the AIs capture point, thereby either making them withdraw most of their units that are engaging you to go get it back and you being able to run them down without a challenge, or just wait out the timer at which point you can kill a 9000 man army with a 1000 man one. 2ez.
    Isn't what you're saying a contradiction? Have you really experienced this, or are you just parroting a contrived video you've seen on youtube?

LOL. What about that 40% increase in budget?
    The story goes it was only 2 million dollars, since the GFC the FED has deceased the value of the dollar by 40%, so in real terms it is the same budget. What do you get for 2 million dollars these days? 8x bungalows in California.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown General View Post
    CA has no competition? What about Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 3, Crusader Kings II, or Europa Universalis IV?
    Read what I wrote.

But nobody else can do a fluid PC wargame that copes with ancient hand to hand arms in mass formations.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Indeed, Modestus.

And, OP, you`ve got the logic backwards. You should not be thanking Lusted. Lusted should be thanking YOU and others for buying the game and handing over hard CASH in the first place. He and CA\SEGA should also be apologising for you all getting less than you expected.

Seriously, how can you expect CA to respect you when you THANK them for giving you an unfinished game and taking your money? You don`t even have the proposed changes yet.
    Bingo. Well spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaFaden View Post
    They made their apology. Now they're doing regular updates and keeping people informed on what's going on. That is miles ahead - communication-wise - of a lot of other companies and I think it is something that should be appreciated. Am I saying the game should have been released as-is? no, absolutely not, but am I appreciative that they are doing something about it, listening to feedback and keeping us in the loop at the same time? Oh hell yes. Many, many companies would NOT be making this type of informative update.
    No offense, but you sound like someone who hasn't got much experience with the Creative Assembly. Speaking as somebody who has played the Total War series for more than ten years, I can tell you that CA is one of the industry bottom-feeders in community and game support. Ever since the near-catastrophe that was Empire, CA has made a show of paying attention to player input and interacting with the community. But it's all a show, as we've continued to be sold mediocre games full of bugs and cut corners.

I'm of the opinion that good ol' Kieran (CA's former PR rep) quit not to move on to new horizons, but instead because he grew weary of the constant dishonesty that his job entailed.

CA has no competition? What about Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 3, Crusader Kings II, or Europa Universalis IV?
    Have you actually played any of these games? Aside from the very basics, none of them bear much resemblance to Total War titles. Paradox Interactive focuses entirely on grand strategy; their games are completely void of anything on the tactical scale. This produces a fulfilling gaming experience, but one that differs almost entirely from that of the Total War games.

For that matter, Paradox Interactive has just as much a monopoly on the grand strategy genre as Total War has on its own.
    Last edited by Crymson; September 18, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

The Unknown General's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
    Have you actually played any of these games? Aside from the very basics, none of these games bear much resemblance to Total War titles. Paradox Interactive focuses entirely on grand strategy; their games are completely void of anything on the tactical scale.
    I was referring to strategy games in general.

Although, I don't have the game yet, I have been perusing the forums. I believe CA is "saving Rome 2." It is Sega's fault, not CA. CA knew they were releasing a game that was still in development, it was Sega pushing them to release it. If it was up to CA, they wouldn't of had released the game where people considered it finished and fantastic. They are trying their absolute hardest to fix the game to our needs. If CA was their own independent multi-billion dollar game company, the game would probably be finished and there wouldn't be all of this whining on the forums. Just my opinion, but anyway, looks like an amazing game and it would be great to get BTW, I am a long time TW gamer, been playing since Rome 1, so I know what I'm talking about.
    Have a great day!
    Last edited by TotalWarBuff; September 18, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
    John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalWarAuthority

I was referring to strategy games in general.
    Total War is a unique mixture of Grand Strategy and Real Time Tactics that no other franchise is directly competing with. You may have games that are competing with the grand strategy aspect of it, or perhaps the real time tactics aspect of it, but rarely both.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    Isn't what you're saying a contradiction? Have you really experienced this, or are you just parroting a contrived video you've seen on youtube?

The story goes it was only 2 million dollars, since the GFC the FED has deceased the value of the dollar by 40%, so in real terms it is the same budget. What do you get for 2 million dollars these days? 8x bungalows in California.
    I've experienced it numerous times. When the AI starts with a capture point already under control they don't care much about it, and it's very easy to lure them away from it, rush some units in there to start capturing it, at which point the AI will sometimes make getting back there its main priority with all of its units, not matter if they're engaged or not (making it so that you can just chase them back without a fight, essentially destroying their army) or they just won't give a crap. I haven't seen the AI send a small detachment of unengaged units to go stop the one or two capturing its point, while also maintaining its line. That'd be smart. Have you played the game or are you just this far in denial that you need to call videos that showcase such inexcusable issues as that "contrived"?

Not to mention that the idea itself is amazingly stupid and unrealistic. "Oh no! 100 dudes got past our line and captured our flag! Even though we out number them 10 to 1, I suppose we should now just roll over and let the enemy butcher us". It's stupid and straight up bad game design.

2 million dollars is enough to hire a "professional coder", which they should already have... and should have had for a long time, like any other professional game studio. But they didn't. They spent it on marketing, mediocre motion captured combat animations that don't even reflect the period or style of warfare they were supposed to and are limited to 1v1 and 1v2 engagements, and other meaningless, poorly implemented fluff.

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
    For that matter, Paradox Interactive has just as much a monopoly on the grand strategy genre as Total War has on its own.
    The difference is that Paradox actually listens to their community, support their games to hilt, and don't use their games as DLC/expansion platforms.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

klesh's Avatar Senator

It's a nice gesture, I suppose. They're clearly in ultra damage control mode, of their own doing. It seems what they delivered, in each instance put forth in that post, is exactly the opposite of their intention. Why is that? What were they fine with selling you guys a product they knew was not what they wanted.

It's like sitting at a restaurant and having the manager stand there and tell you how wonderfully delicious their cuisine is, while the chef in the back hurries to cook a second meal for you because what they initially served you was garbage. It doesn't exactly make me want to continue to give that restaurant my business.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123