Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the recent patches is ROME 2 a game I should spend money on?

Default After the recent patches is ROME 2 a game I should spend money on?

Don't let the thread title mislead you, I'm an avid fan of the TW series but this time, I decided to do the grown up thing and hold my self back and not pre-order based on just the hype made.

I've been following these forums on ROME 2 since release and the trend on threads seems to be switching from " Total Disaster" to "It's getting better".

So I created this thread to better assess the situation, is the game reaching a standard that is worth spending money on?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Vioras's Avatar Civis

Default Re: After the recent patches is ROME 2 a game I should spend money on?

No not yet still a lot of problems. Buy it in spring 2014 if it is on sale, problems should be solved with patches then and there will be more good mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioras View Post
    No not yet still a lot of problems. Buy it in spring 2014 if it is on sale, problems should be solved with patches then and there will be more good mods.
    That sounds very positive then, not long to wait for a decent game then

Game is enjoyable now, but there are still a lot of issues. I would recommend waiting for another 2 months.

Don't take any words from these guys. Most of the guys on the forums have nothing better to do than to complain.

I personally love the game and I think you would as well.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

There are some issues yes, but it's extremely playable so I would recommend it now.

Even then, there are already some great mods for you to check out!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

There are issues. Yes.

I love the game. It's awesome. But only you can decide for yourself. Ten people will have ten different points of view. None of which match yours.

Campidoctor

It would be a great message to send to CA that a lot of new people buy the game - after they fix the problems That would make them think "Oh, it actually really matters if we care about the game". Money talks.
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

wait for the christmas sale. the game should be patched by then.

Different people have different standards what they want from the game. After CA has fixed HW-performance/stability problems, general bugs and done design/tweaking, we are in late November, December. If critical manpower is moved elsewhere, it will go to January.

But if by chance you have hardware that is ok with their code, might be called playable already after 3 weeks from this day if they keep fixing around 100 issues per week.
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War...I:_Patch_Notes

This game is beta garbage. Poorly optimized, poorly balanced, with tons of things ripped off to sell them as DLC. Worst game I played in last 5-10 years. I recommend to wait till 2014 Christams sale and buy Rome II GOTY Edition with 100 DLC included.

Check metacritis user score. Currently game is junk. Better to play Shogun 2.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

If you have survived the release hype-fest without buying it, then i'd say wait till it goes on sale... and more importantly, wait till the game reaches a beta state at least.

Decanus

Seriously OP, ignore the people saying the game is worth full price. IT IS NOT. It is getting better yes, and I am currently enjoying a Roman campaign (partially because I am forcing myself to do it to justify my £30 purchase) but the game is clearly still in beta and under work. My advice: Wait till Christmas. It will be patched up, quite a few mods will be available and it will probably be available for 25% off or something. Hold off for now.

personally i think theres fun to be had right now... but if you have other gaming options and fancy waiting it out to see more positive responses then you might save a few quid.

I have almost 50 hours on the game and I really love it. Yes it has some bug though only a few for me, but for me the AI is better than in previous games except for some small bugs with it, the diplomacy is better than ever and almost feels human except for some small things (actually the only thing with this is that factions you almost crushed want money for peace instead of paying for it though sometimes it's just 100 gold which is nothing), the performance is really good for my crappy PC and the 2.0 beta patch pretty much does a lot of what the most popular mods so far do. It's worth buying in my opinion, though it will only get better with time just like Shogun 2 so if you have patience you can save some money and play your first rounds of the game in a better state. If you buy it you will have fun with it.

It's not worth 60 bucks period. With that said the CAI and turn times have improved considerably with the patches. It is very much playable with mods but its going to take a full overhaul to make the game really enjoyable. Buy it in a steam sale 6 months from now when everything is ironed out.

You could wait for christmas sale and buy it much cheaper.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

The game is still not worth it. Wait until december, maybe some fixes will make it worth it by then. And dont expect huge battles unless you have a NASA computer.

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

I like the game and I think it's worth to buy it. It's up to you, if you think you can hold a few months more to save some money, keep playing something else and get it later at good value and issue-free, then wait. But the game is now very enjoyable to play. If you feel like playing new stuff, you won't be disappointed by ordering it now:

Some people are going to say its fine, other people are going to say it sucks, and I think there's some conditions to attach here:

If you like steamrolling swarms of knuckle-dragging AI armies of slaves and levies, and aren't so interested in diplomacy then the game is probably worth your while right now. There's plenty of beautiful scenery and cool motion capture fights to watch - the graphics are pretty good.

If you want a challenge on the battlefield, one where you actually can lose battles if the armies are well matched, then the game is not yet ripe. Even on legendary difficulty you're going to stomp the AI into the dirt until the civil war happens. If you lose, it won't be because you lost on the battlefield, it'll be because you lost on the campaign map.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast