Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: [STIM] Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 4.0] - DOWNLOAD HERE - Updated September 28th 2014

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.4] Updated Sept. 24th - CA Patch3 Updates Included!

Doubt they are compatible Silven, but the "lines of battle" mod vastly improves the unit cohesion as well "moon hoplite polybolos", as they are probably not compatible being battle mods.... would you consider adding a version that includes these mods, or at least consider the techniques utilized to enhance in-battle formations. I have tried pretty much every mod here (radious is over hyped) and I found yours to be the best 'total mod'.

Was hoping I could have my cake and eat it to, i.e. : have those two formation mods combined with your excellent total mod.

Thanks.

Default Re: Silven Total Improvement Mod [Version 1.4] Updated Sept. 24th - CA Patch3 Updates Included!

"Moon hoplite polybolos" makes your phalanx formation work more intuitively as well I believe it changes the animation so it is more realistic (guys aren't poking their buddies in the backs with spears, they hold them straight up).

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    Need to bring back SOME of the special abilities. Ones like Chant which were used ALL THE TIME by those troops should be available. Just because there are more abilities than previous titles doesn't make it wrong. Fewer, but not (next to) none, please.
    Just went vanilla for a day. Gotta say some of those abilities are pretty sweet.

I mean, who doesn't want to click the "stampede" button when moving a bunch of elephants around the field.

About kill rate: Personally I enjoy the longer battles, though I suppose 5 minutes doesn't make too much difference in that case. However, from my current experience with your mod, while yes your example of an 11 minute battle 1 on 1 is correct, in an actual battle with proper flanking and use of cavalry, large battles will tend to go quicker than that I'd say on average I've had 10-15 minute battles for now, 20-25 if a lot of movement is needed at the beginning (like a settlement, or the AI reluctant to attack if they are defending in a field battle). That's my experience/opinion anyhow!

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by th0ms View Post
    You did something to the pikes.. Cause vanilla footcompanions, rape oathsworn head on as they should.. They struggle and sometimes lose with your mod.
    Yes, I already mentioned that I did "something to pikes". Every change is fully documented with my mod, and if you read the front page, you'll see that pikes were:

1) given missing anti-cav, anti-elephant bonuses
    2) elite pikes were given even more bonuses than standard pikes
    3) pike phalanx formation was given extra bracing and anti-cav anti-elephant bonuses, as well as melee defense buffs

Absolutely no part of pikes were nerfed.

However I will look into their performance on the field, because several mod authors are getting reports of pikes acting up even though they either buffed or left them alone.

Yes, I am experiencing similar problems with pikes. Is it because of the increased spacing between units? Earlier units charging head-first used to take some damage, now they simply move in through the pikes and force the pikemen to switch to their short swords.

But I am loving what you have done with cavalry. Keep up the good work.

Edit: I have only noticed this after CA's patch 3 and your fourth update.
    Last edited by prithupaul; September 25, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

This is now my gameplay mod of choice

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    Yes, I already mentioned that I did "something to pikes". Every change is fully documented with my mod, and if you read the front page

No need to get annoyed when people give you feedback, i read it.... You make mods and expect there will be problems and for people to point em out .. SEVERAL TIMES!!!!!! Just like the guy above me also points it out AGAIN..

SO IF I WANNA SPAM I'M UNHAPPY WITH THE CHANGES TO PIKEMEN, thats what i'm gonna do and i actually told you the problems... Cause it's my favorite unit, and i can't use your actually pretty well-made mod, because my pikes lose to freakin' units they should be able to steamroll...

So stop being defensive and point out that i might not have read your oversized font, instead try reply "I'm aware of the problem and currently working on it for next update, thx for feedback" .. Then suddenly people might look past the problems and looking forward to what comes next...

The battle length is ok, but looks like the unit responsiveness is worse than before. Now I have to give several orders to some units disengage... At least they're not dyeing as before, but now I have to click like a madman for them to disengage.
    But I'm testing other faction now(Epirus), so I don't know if it's something with their units only and if it was like that before beta 3.0

Dbl.
    Last edited by prithupaul; September 25, 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by th0ms View Post
    No need to get annoyed when people give you feedback, i read it.... You make mods and expect there will be problems and for people to point em out .. SEVERAL TIMES!!!!!! Just like the guy above me also points it out AGAIN..

SO IF I WANNA SPAM I'M UNHAPPY WITH THE CHANGES TO PIKEMEN, thats what i'm gonna do and i actually told you the problems... Cause it's my favorite unit, and i can't use your actually pretty well-made mod, because my pikes lose to freakin' units they should be able to steamroll...

So stop being defensive and point out that i might not have read your oversized font, instead try reply "I'm aware of the problem and currently working on it for next update, thx for feedback" .. Then suddenly people might look past the problems and looking forward to what comes next...
    I much doubt he is annoyed. You seem more annoyed than him . He even said he will will look into it.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    I much doubt he is annoyed. You seem more annoyed than him . He even said he will will look into it.
    Pretty much this.

Anyway, a solution should be found by the next version. If those of you that are experiencing problems could be sure to let me know exactly what units are involved including their full name and faction, it will help me isolate whats going on.

@Hakkapeliitta
    Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it.

@Vinicam
    Yes, the casualties sustained when disengaging were improved upon a little bit by CA's patch, but the speed at which they disengage is unfortunately also something that only they can fix I'm afraid.

Decanus

It's gotta be tough trying to develop a mod when CA is changing such core mechanics so quickly in patches...I'm sure things will get smoother down the line.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by wrcromartie View Post
    It's gotta be tough trying to develop a mod when CA is changing such core mechanics so quickly in patches...I'm sure things will get smoother down the line.
    Yes, and Patch3 was particularly large. Thankfully I haven't even begun to touch campaign buildings yet, and campaign buildings are one of the most time consuming things to mod, so all of their changes to those in Patch3 are automatically integrated. The mod authors that haven't specifically mentioned that they adapted their mod to include the changes of Patch3 are definitely missing things though, some of the biggest being the balance changes they made to all weapons, all unit defense, and all unit charge bonuses.

Hey Silven, this is crashing my game now... I used your mod pre-1.3 and it worked fine.
    ... first battle out using it and it crashes right in the middle.

Not gonna bother with it again til' the next iteration, especially since you nerfed all ranged into the ground by limiting their ammunition.
    Might as well not bother buying any if I can only shoot a couple volleys of javelins, same goes for arrows and slings. I have all of the above and they were out of ammunition in under a minute. that noise.

I understand they feel overpowered but nerfing them from a ranged unit into a super light infantry with pilum is a little ridiculous. Stuff like this is why I stopped using Radious.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by CasualAssembly View Post
    Hey Silven, this is crashing my game now... I used your mod pre-1.3 and it worked fine.
    ... first battle out using it and it crashes right in the middle.

Not gonna bother with it again til' the next iteration, especially since you nerfed all ranged into the ground by limiting their ammunition.
    Might as well not bother buying any if I can only shoot a couple volleys of javelins, same goes for arrows and slings. I have all of the above and they were out of ammunition in under a minute. that noise.

I understand they feel overpowered but nerfing them from a ranged unit into a super light infantry with pilum is a little ridiculous. Stuff like this is why I stopped using Radious.
    Woah there buddy, let's slow down for a second.

A single crash in the middle of battle does not mean my mod is crashing your game. Random crashes happen in vanilla all the time.

Also, you seem to have read the changelog incorrectly. If you read it again, I'm sure you'll notice that I reduced MELEE INFANTRY PILUM ammo. Ammo counts for dedicated missile units (i.e. Javelinmen, Slingers, Archers) were not altered. Please pay more close attention to these details before posting incorrect information in this thread.

Hi there, I've been playing with your 1.4 mod for a day or two so figured I'd post some feedback.

First, on the battle speed, I think it's ideal the way it is. From the battles I've fought I'd say you've found a good balance - units hitting each other in frontal charges don't get wiped out within seconds, but have lengthy combat with the stronger side becoming apparent as the fight goes on. That's perfect as it allows you to see how units are doing and have time to move reserves to reinforce them. Compared to vanilla, and various other mods, that really adds a tactical element that was lacking, being able to assess the progress of a battle and react to events. Where the balance is evident is as you've highlighted, when you can get units flanking or hitting in the rear. In this case you can rapidly kill off a unit, as should be expected. The end result is that positioning units is more important, and that can only be a good thing. City fights can drag on when the AI guards paths, forcing frontal combat, but again that's a good thing - and it makes you look for possible routes to get behind them to turn the tide.

As for ranged units I'm enjoying your approach. Slingers aren't snipers any more, and indeed a heavily armoured unit can now approach without huge casualties. Javelin units feel right; against armoured troops with good shields, such as hoplites, they do kill but at a slower rate than vanilla. Enough to help soften the enemy before melee combat but not able to wipe out armoured troops alone. Against unarmoured units they're lethal, as they should be, with melee only needing to mop up the remains after. I haven't run into any bows yet so can't comment there.

Morale seems decently balanced with troops staying in combat for longer but they do still break and route when numbers get too low. They'll stick around a while but when the result has become clear they'll look to run away, as they should. As you've said, it's much more situational now - a unit in a stable front won't be too quick to run but caught alone, flanked or charged from behind and they can soon abandon the fight.

As for outside battles, one thing I like is that you haven't made the campaign too easy by removing food/squalor effects or boosting income as some mods have. One reason I stopped using Radious' mod before was that within a few turns I had enough income to build and recruit anything I wanted without having to think. I like the reduced attrition - it was too extreme in vanilla to lose so many troops in a siege while building engines. It was better just to attack instantly.

One thing I would like to see personally is an area of recruitment for Roman citizen troops to only be recruited in Italy as I don't like the ability to train legionaries everywhere. I'd prefer to have to send armies back to Italy to reinforce with citizen troops, and force the use of auxiliaries elsewhere. That said, I've edited that in myself (it took seconds) so it's not a huge issue as I can keep editing that each version if needed.

Overall, as an overhaul mod, this feels the best all-round at the moment. Combat is longer and more tactical, missile troops feel better balanced and the campaign hasn't been made easier. I'll be continuing to use this and see where you go from here I've also had no crashes so can't see how this mod is causing any. I'd say anyone suffering crashes has some kind of conflict from the game itself rather than the mod, unless they can pinpoint a specific event.

One thing I haven't got to yet is the later Roman Legionaries. In previous mods (and vanilla), as soon as they were available they were so overpowered I couldn't lose. Right now I'm sticking with pre-marian troops (Hastati etc.) until I feel the time is right to get the tech for the later troops, so will see then how they're balanced.

Is it me or last CA patch totally screwed the game ?

When I am playing rome, my legionaries can't hold a single defensive line as they constantly try to flank enemy units by themselves without order, exposing them to counter-flanking ...
    When I am playing a Macedonian system based army, enemy pikemen refuse to fight and seem only concerned by rushing through my phalanx line in order to regroup behind it ...

Stim mod (1.1, 1.2 or 1.3) worked perfectly well before this patch, now everything is messed up.
    Qual ten la lenga, ten la clau que de sas cadenas lo desliura.

Decanus

Silven - have you taken a look at the pike phalanx at all? Notice any of the weirdness we are describing?

Yep Bellicose, the new patch needs quite a bit of tweaking, especially the formation shuffling!