Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only person that likes this game?

Default Am I the only person that likes this game?

It seems like everybody either hates the game fundamentally, or hates the game in it's current state. I actually find myself more fun that I've ever had with any TW game, with a completely vanilla game. Sure it has a couple issues here and there, namely the AI, but I love the game itself.

I don't understand how you could so strongly dislike the game
    My machine:
    MOBO: Z270 GAMING M3
    CPU: Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666
    GPU: Zotac GTX 970
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO + 5 HDD

Default Re: Am I the only person that likes this game?

You are not alone. I've had no issues with the game and am having a blast with it. Really quite enjoyable and addictive after a while.

A fair amount of people do hate the game as they feel they were "lied" to, have such a massive hard on for the first Rome that they are upset that it is not exactly the same or are just a-holes. I would say the majority of people are dissapointed that it doesn't live up to all the hype it got and that it is rather buggy.

I am inbetween enjoying the game but also a bit dissapointed. I have played the game quite a lot and many times I have been eager to return, other times it feels a bit tedious waiting longer to load the battle than it does to win it. I have faith that CA can fix most of these things and in a few months many more people will be enjoying the game as it was intended.

Its not a bad game when looking at it isolated. But when you look at it with all the previous total wars its just a worse experiance, its less compex, less well made and less interesting. But again, without the comparison it is a strong game (excluding the launch bugs and issues)

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    It seems like everybody either hates the game fundamentally, or hates the game in it's current state. I actually find myself more fun that I've ever had with any TW game, with a completely vanilla game. Sure it has a couple issues here and there, namely the AI, but I love the game itself.

I don't understand how you could so strongly dislike the game
    Don't you? Well, here are a few nuggets for you to be getting on with:

The lousy optimisation. Shogun 2 ran on my machine perfectly well, on high settings. Rome 2 chugs... at low settings!

The broken AI. A unit of my Velites were decimating some Elephants; the Elephants themselves did nothing - they didn't charge the Velites, they just let themselves be turned into pin cushions. An enemy general unit that was nearby just sat there and watched the fun. That's just one example out of a massive list I could post.

The endless 'minor city' battles in campaigns. CA said that this game was supposed to massively reduce the amounts of 'siege' battles. All they've done is remove the walls from small cities; they're still siege battles, with all the series' weaknesses that brings such as street fighting which TW has never been good at. As an added bonus, each battle feels exactly the same. Same boring, generic and bloody useless garrison troops that break as soon as a Roman makes physical contact with them.

The fact that you cannot use a Roman army properly. You cannot stand and hold formation and pepper the enemy with pilae as they advance, ala the Battle of Watling Street.

There is no challenge in the game right now. None at all.

Maybe you've got more of an understanding now why most of us don't like this game right now?

Edit: Oh... how could I forget the idiotic 'Capture the Flag' feature that completely ruins any open field battles that might crop up...
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Oddly enough apparently not
    Last edited by Octopus; September 12, 2013 at 07:33 PM.

One thing I love is their construction of the ancient world. I downloaded the unlock all factions mod and have been having fun with just this alone. That is the thing Rome 1 did not have... or even have the ability of realizing is the amount of factions that this sandbox game holds. Its a shame they are withholding all these factions for us to play and are going to chisel them out and release them as DLC free or not. I do not think I am breaking any laws now as the factions I have unlocked are quite obviously incomplete but being able to play them even in their unfinished state has made this game interesting. I think the reason is they spent so much effort in the numerous tribes and factions that comprise of the world. No longer are you just entering each new landscape fighting either "rebels" or some faction your know all too well... instead you are faced with some random tribe, kingdom, empire, vassal or city state. All with its own culture, alliances, wars, opinions and business. Perhaps their units are somewhat generic but the fact that they are a separate faction conducting their own business on the other side of the world makes me want to go explore them and perhaps trade, befriend or destory them. All of which has a consequence as they too have numerous friends and enemies who's opinions of you will change if you mettle with their business.

This is what I love about Rome 2. Starting with random factions around the world and simply exploring the land and watching the factions interact with each other. In my Baktrian campaign I have watched the desert people to the south of me crush and become crushed by the Seleucid empire and its vassals. Only to be stabbed in the back and finished off by myself for the gain of the Indian ocean ports. It is the culture like that that keeps me interested, not so much the capture the flag game mechanics or the bad optimization. Yes I can run Shogun 2 with ultra everything but not run this on medium without lagging to hell.... oh well graphics are not my favorite thing about games anyways...

So in conclusion yes, I love the whole concept of the game, its atmosphere and world. But the other parts, the big Total War parts, I feel are lacking.... perhaps they tried to make something too big for what our computers are capable of running. Say they added 100's or 1000's of scripts to each faction... and each faction takes 2 more seconds to take its turn... How long would turns be? How much would you need to spend on a comp that is capable of running such a thing?

One thing that I love is the battlefields; I never liked Shogun 2's as they felt too contained. These feel like you're actually in the middle of a great big field or desert that goes on for miles.

So the battlefields are there. All we need now are proper battles to fight on them.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

I love the game too, already logged over 100 hours, 120 if you count the sessions I have had that concluded with the game crashing (very rare for me).

Its quality features and things that appeal to me are too numerous to list, but I do have a few complaints.

Primarily with naval battles. They are fantastic. But Biremes should not be faster than larger ships. Also, larger ships should be stronger for the money you pay, quantity apparently beats quality on the sea. The Quinquereme is not the primary ship of the Roman navy in Rome 2, it has no assault variant, which sucks. And in custom battles you cannot get post-Marian naval units.

I also dislike the historical inaccuracies in the portrayal of the varying heights of the cultural groups in the game, as I have mentioned.

But other than that, fantastic.

I love how your legionaries maintain a disciplined block of men when possible. And when things get desperate, such as city streets overrun with enemies, they lose cohesion and every man fights desperately for his life.

And I love that I can actually play the game. My computer is not the greatest. And when I saw the first Siege of Carthage video last year my first thought was "I need a new computer to run this." Well, I was pleasantly surprised that I can run it on medium-high, which is amazing for my decrepit machine. I'm surprised at the amount of people who think they have been cheated because their computer can't run it. They should merely look at what the game is and realise it would naturally be a very demanding game.

I love this game and I rate it 7/10, but with mods/patches once the issues are squished I hope I can rate it a 9. There's ALOT of potential but one just has to be patient and wait. Nonetheless I've been playing it non-stop! So hey, it does entertain. I don't agree with some angry folk here on forums, but I do agree with some of the very critical and objective reviews.

Game had a ton of problems last week, but our wonderful modders have fixed many of them. I am enjoying the game a lot now. Still some issues, but I'm sure the modders will be able to fix most of them.

I love this game and I rate it 7/10, but with mods/patches once the issues are squished I hope I can rate it a 9. There's ALOT of potential but one just has to be patient and wait. Nonetheless I've been playing it non-stop! So hey, it does entertain. I don't agree with some angry folk here on forums, but I do agree with some of the very critical and objective reviews.

PumpkinBread's Avatar Miles

I love the game as well. Having a lot of fun. Reading through these forums after every Total War release is entertaining too.

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

I like various aspects of the game. But as a whole man it's such a buggy mess.
    Steam exclusive distribution is not unethical because the entire video gaming hobby is purely voluntary. Nobody is forcing you to use Steam because nobody is forcing you to buy and play Steam exclusive games.

If you are really coerced to play video games against your will, contact your local law enforcement agency for help.

I like the game more everyday. Things settled when I found the best frame rate for my machine. It has much greater strategic depth than the previous TW.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

2gutter67's Avatar Tiro

You're definitely not the only one, but I know personally I cannot find much joy in this game in relation to other Total Wars.

PitaboyDK's Avatar Libertus

The game has it's flaws, but i really like it, and i'm not affected by any performance bugs nor graphics bugs.

Its not that we don't like or love the game. Cause we do we are just pissed that it some how got worse them empire after the awesomeness that is shogun. After shogun I was excited for the next total war no matter what era it was because I thought they finally got the concept of their warscape engine down packed. But boy have I ever been wronger. They took out so much stuff that people loved and enjoyed and then They didn't even finish what they put it. The A.I. some how got even more buggy and all the bugs they had with empire resurfaced and then some. Look at the fact none of the wonders show up on the battlefield. Stonehenge is pretty much a freakin water pond. Those should have been easy to put in the game compared to everything else. I just can't help but wonder how early did they release it?

I am enjoying it well enough. But have had really bad AI problems just in the last two battles I played.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast