Thread: Enhanced Ancillary UIs for Broken Crescent

Default Enhanced Ancillary UIs for Broken Crescent

Enhanced Ancillary UIs for Broken Crescent

Since my gaming computer has now been used for target practice, all I am left with is an aged Sony desktop that allows me to surf the internet and not much more. Having been a member of the TATW MOS team I enjoy modding now more than playing, currently I am rather limited in what I can do mod wise, but I can do some 2d type stuff. One of the projects that I recently completed for the latest version of MOS was upgrading the old ancillary ui's I made a year ago and adding Large and Medium sized ancillary ui's in addition to revamping a good many of the Normal size ancillary ui's.

So now that I have done all I can for MOS I decided to turn my attention to Broken Crescent and see if I can add to the experience visually for the gamers that play BC. Some of the ancillary ui's were also used in MOS, but most will get replaced or redone as time permits, a few were added as time savers, others look good in both mods. If anyone using these could send me a few screenshots that would be very nice! I will try and make 3 sizes of every ancillary ui for Broken Crescent and various submods. I have already done the ancillary ui's for: Jizya, Kafirs & Dhimmis; v2Released by Byzantineboy. If there are any modders who would like to have their ui's done as well just send me a pm and I'll see what can be done.

Here is a link to the MOS submod I did to hopefully allow players gain a better understanding of what the ui's will look like in game:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-FINAL-EDITION

It may be a few days before I get the release out since I need to adjust the export_description_ancillaries (eda) to allow for the use of more images, but when I get through with that I will get it posted here ASAP. I have gone through the entire eda, if anyone sees or knows of any ancillaries I have missed please let me know. Also if there other images that are clearer, more accurate, or appropriate please let me know. Thank you.

The standard ancillary ui size is 33x41, The normal sized ones I have made measure 41x41, the medium size measures 50x50, and for the truly blind, (such as myself) the large size measures 64x64.

Here is a picture of the Large Broken Crescent Ancillary UI's
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Here is a picture of the Medium Broken Crescent Ancillary UI's:

Here is a picture of the Normal Sized Broken Crescent Ancillary UI's:
    Here are a few in-game "normal size" ancillary ui shots:

I give up for now screwing with this forum .....ugh, hopefully next month I can get a few more posted.

INSTALLATION: Important note, prior to installing it is recommended that your data/ui/ancillaries folder be backed up as well as the export_description_ancillaries file in the data folder. Select whichever size you wish to use download it as well as the updated export_description_ancillary file for whichever mod you are using. Open Medieval Total War II/mods/Broken Crescent/data folder and replace the eda. Open the data/ui/ ancillaries folder, copy and paste the new ancillary ui's over the old. I believe this will be save-game compatible as well. Here are the downloads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; September 17, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Default Re: Enhanced Ancillary UIs for Broken Crescent

I have updated many of the ancillary uis, for some reason these forums are acting rather squirrely lately so I will also upload the the images as jpegs here. Also if anyone would would like to try these out please send me a pm, this way I can make sure everything in the eda is working properly. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greek Portraits.jpg   BC Medium Ancillary UIs.jpg   BC Large Ancillary UIs.jpg   BC Normal Ancillary UIs.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 28, 2013 at 05:27 AM.

Nice, I just yesterday installed your UI's for MOS, they look awesome, bigger IS better. I was surprised how much they actually affected the "feel" of the campaign. Such a small visual improvement can have such a big impact. Thanks for this.
    Last edited by the man, the myth, the legend; September 16, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Nice, I just yesterday installed your UI's for MOS, they look awesome, bigger IS better. I was surprised how much they actually affected the "feel" of the campaign. Such a small visual improvement can have such a big impact. Thanks for this.

-finicky forum not letting me DL, will try later
    Thank you for your comments, hopefully these have the same effect as the ones for MOS does. If I have missed any, please let me know, I will look again at the export anicllary file again to double check, but I am pretty sure I have gotten all of them. Also if you could possibly take a screen shot or two of what they look like in the game, I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

EDIT: These forums are troubling lately.......
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; September 15, 2013 at 09:58 AM.

Here's a few in-game screenshots from my new byzzie campaign with the new "large" UI's. (pics seem faded-like for some reason but you get the idea)
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Ah thank you very much, I may try and install MTW II on this decrepit computer just to try a few things and make some adjustments. Currently working on a project now which if it works you will be the first to know!

I added a few more in-game screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Acre.jpg   Sparapet.jpg   Master of Horse.jpg   King Baldwin.jpg   Duke of Karak.jpg  

Bedeshkh.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; August 08, 2015 at 05:06 PM.

One of the things I enjoyed about playing TATW was that every province had a little "history" lesson attached to them. So as you wondered around Middle Earth you could read about the different provinces and what not. If I get get the bugs work out I will get with Wudang and see what he thinks about including this in a future release. Here are a few screenshots (I hope) of what the "actual" history lessons by reading the "Atlas of the Middle East" will look like once I get a few bugs worked out. I have done the histories of about one third of the provinces so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spaces added.jpg   Spartan Agoge.jpg   cul_6 year end review.jpg   Atlas of the Middle East.jpg   Ankara.jpg  

Antioch.jpg   Acre.jpg  
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; June 29, 2016 at 09:18 AM.

That a really good idea, I play TATW because it's an absolutely amazing Total War experience, although I'm not a big fan of Tolkien. So for someone like me that doesn't know the lore very well, things like those "building descriptions" help me a lot to piece things together and fill in the gaps. I definitely find myself reading those right after I conquer a new settlement. I think it would be great for BC as well for people that don't know the history and probably wouldn't on their own actively try to obtain knowledge of the era and its peoples. I think that was the whole point of BC was to have an "unbiased" historical mod that was centered on the Middle east, instead of the ever popular Western European themes. I can't see why they wouldn't want that added extra history assuming the hard work is already done. If they don't want it, well that's what submods are for, right?

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Mike, I like what you've made so far, and we have actually very similar ideas as to what should be included in BC.

So, I have few questions about your further involvement in development of this mod. I'll send you a PM in a minute.

Under the patronage of m_1512

TracePoland's Avatar Foederatus

Nice Submod

There will be an update soon, plus some other items I have been working on....
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 30, 2013 at 05:15 PM.