Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roma Invicta - Update 3 Available 16/09/2013

Default Re: Roma Invicta - Update 2 Available 14/09/2013

Can you please make the elephants a bit more resistant to javelins. Atm an elephant unit is nearly completely destroyed by only one volley. You have no chance to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor85 View Post
    Can you please make the elephants a bit more resistant to javelins. Atm an elephant unit is nearly completely destroyed by only one volley. You have no chance to react.
    I'll take a look at whether it's possible to make them more resilient to javelins without making them even tougher in melee, thanks for the feedback.

Scientia potentia est. Eam bene tege!

Hi I still get a very passive AI Do you actually change something in that aspect of the game ?

Quote Originally Posted by ManoFWar View Post
    Hi I still get a very passive AI Do you actually change something in that aspect of the game ?
    There's not much that I can change in terms of their actual passivity; that's a problem 'under the hood', so to speak.

The AI changes I've made should do four broad things:

- Encourage them to field bigger, more complete armies.
    - Encourage them to use smaller proportions of skirmishers and light troops in their army composition
    - Encourage them to focus spending a little more on their economy and military, to hoard money less and to actually spend it on making themselves strong.
    - Encourage them to react more aggressively to expanding towards their borders.

Sadly, I can't do anything with the core AI down below that controls what they do, so I can't fix the passivity. You are running the patch 2 beta, I presume? Seems to have helped my game a bit. Also, what faction are you playing?

---

On the Elephants note - I'm testing a solution which gives the elephants themselves (the 'mounts') their own armour - usually 30 armour - in addition to their riders, which should make them much more resistant to javelins. At the same time, I've proportionally increased the vs elephants bonus of all melee weapons so they shouldn't become indestructible in melee combat.

I'm playing with Rome faction and the Etruscan league just doesn't do anything they stay there just wait to be slaughter no army no defence nothing
    yes I have the beta patch game a little bit more fast in term of graphic but the rest? Where is there rest???? >

I imagine the AI tweaks are going to take some time for CA to get to. They said themselves that the priority was making the game playable for the majority of players before they start really focusing on fixing the problems like AI. Sadly there isn't anything the moding community can do with the AI that will really effect game play in the way that most of us would like; at least not yet. Who knows what may be possible when the mod tools come out; though I would keep my expectations well in hand if I were you.

I am liking this mod a lot - thank you for the time and effort! +rep

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA
    COOLING (AIR): Vigor Monsoon III PSU: CORSAIR TW750W
    RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    VIDEO: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    SOUND: Creative X-Fi Fatality Platinum HARD DRIVE(S): WD500 7200RPM x 2
    DVD/CD/ROM/RW: LITE-ON x 2
    CASE: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Aluminum Full Tower ATX & BTX Case
    KEYBOARD: Logitech® G15 MOUSE: Logitech® MX518

have been playing radious mods since the start but am going to try this one now as i agree with the masses that there are too many stacks , which is what is slowing the game down so i will see how it goes
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Hey guys!

This mod works really well with Radious AI mod. I'm playing with rome on VH and even in the beginning the etruscian league offers some challenge not to mention the others later. The etruscs attacked my undefended cities with like 15 units. Really awesome! They built barracks and even recruiting from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bracus View Post
    Hey guys!

This mod works really well with Radious AI mod. I'm playing with rome on VH and even in the beginning the etruscian league offers some challenge not to mention the others later. The etruscs attacked my undefended cities with like 15 units. Really awesome! They built barracks and even recruiting from them.
    I forgot to add: as of update #2, Invicta is not compatible with Radious AI mod.

Or rather - it won't crash your game and shouldn't cause any AI problems, but there will be overlap where one mod or the other changes some of the same things. So I don't know whether your results are from Invicta overwriting Radious AI settings or vice versa.

Chris,

I just tried this with a fresh campaign and ran into one Etruscan army with 50% slingers. 10 turns later, I ran into an army from Massalia with 15 slingers+general.

Laughable - but don't worry, not blaming you. Hopefully you can take a look at it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Reichmar12 View Post
    Chris,

I just tried this with a fresh campaign and ran into one Etruscan army with 50% slingers. 10 turns later, I ran into an army from Massalia with 15 slingers+general.

Laughable - but don't worry, not blaming you. Hopefully you can take a look at it.

Cheers
    I'm looking at more directly editing the AI controls on this; the fact my smaller tweaks so far haven't stopped this is worrying.

Are you using any other mods concurrently, by the way?

Update 3 likely to be tonight.

Yep, i thought there will be some overlap with rad ai since v2, but i made some testings and neither of your or rad alone will make this good results for me. I like it together. Looking forward to update 3. Keep up the good work! I wonder if you could make the etrusc beginner armies a bit better ( bigger ) and/or one of their city with a barrack lvl2 or something would make it more harder as rome as i would like. I found rome very easy mode on any difficulty with 4 cities at the beginning and the etruscs so easy mode.
    Is it possible to take away 1 or 2 cities with modding?

Quote Originally Posted by Friar Chris View Post
    I'm looking at more directly editing the AI controls on this; the fact my smaller tweaks so far haven't stopped this is worrying.

Are you using any other mods concurrently, by the way?

Update 3 likely to be tonight.
    I'm only using yours and 2 Turns per year right now. I'm also using GEM, but that doesn't impact anything.

Thanks for your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Reichmar12 View Post
    I'm only using yours and 2 Turns per year right now. I'm also using GEM, but that doesn't impact anything.

Thanks for your work.
    Update 3 is available from the same download link. I would update the first post, but every 4 out of 5 times I try to navigate these boards I get a '500 Internal Server Error', because TWCenter is really rather broken at the moment.

Can't post a full changelist, as who knows how the forums will behave when I hit 'submit', but major features:

- Hopefully fixed the AI army compositions. New changes to basic army formation algorithms should hopefully make the 'skirmishers everywhere' composition not just unlikely, but impossible. AI should (all going well) actually have no choice but to make variations on balanced proportions of units.

- Hopefully fixed javelins effect versus elephants: elephants all have 10 (15 for armoured variants) armour on the elephants themselves, the 'mounts', which should help offset some of the extra damage added to javelins. To keep melee balanced, all versus elephant boni (spears, pikes) have been increased by 10 and all other melee weapons in general have been given a +5 bonus versus elephants.

- Rationalised Spartan Hoplites, as they were mysteriously inferior to bog standard hoplites in every respect, cost more and were recruitment limited. They're still recruitment limited, but now are superior hoplites. Their defence, armour and weapons are identical to those of standard hoplites, however Spartan Hoplites have better melee attack, morale and a bigger charge bonus. Also minor buffs to Royal Spartans and Spartan Heroes.

- Reduced the upkeep cost for Slingers across the board; whilst they received some buffs in the original release, they should be considered 'lighter' units than javelin-equipped forces, who have a lot more raw firepower than slingers, albeit with less range and far less ammunition.

- Further increased the range of all bows (proportional to their existing type's range) based upon feedback. Ranges now vary between 130-165 for most bows, and up to 190 for longbows.

- Attempted to change some unit spaces to discourage 'mobbing' behaviour whenever melee combat occurs. This is largely untested, please check this out, can't guarantee the results right now. Ultimately, until CA get their act together, the most elite formations of the ancient world are going to act like garrison mobs whenever they attack, but this might help.

- Increased the penetration values of Scorpion and Polybolos bolts. Interested to see how this turns out![/b]

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

I just took epidamnos as rome but was able to train hastati there.

Is the AOR a current feature or a planned feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    I just took epidamnos as rome but was able to train hastati there.

Is the AOR a current feature or a planned feature?
    That's an issue with the region setup in the game itself, if that's the case; if Hastati are available in Epidamnos, then all Italian units are erroneously available there.

What is AOR?

So update 3 is on your dropbox link?

Quote Originally Posted by whynothere View Post
    So update 3 is on your dropbox link?
    Yes, it's live on the same link. I can barely move from this page without getting server errors on twcenter, so can't update the original post with details.

Magnar: If you're using any other mods that make adaptations to units, they could override the region settings too.

So, to install just drop in the data folder?
    I (did that) saw no changes from vanilla, obviously doing something wrong there.

I'm really keen to see this in action, cause it sounds as if your getting close to the perfect balance.
    Please advise...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast