Thread: Coaliton of Greek Independant States

Default Coaliton of Greek Independant States

I've started doing some very preliminary work on this.

I feel comfortable enough with the new units to move this into BETA, I've also managed to start combining the Greek factions. I will split the changes into implemented, in development & proposed.

Essentially I'm not happy with the Greek states, I feel that it's all a little segregated & small. The Romans are severely lacking enemies and with so many people playing the Spartans, I though maybe it was time to make a larger mod than I'm used to.

Overview

We know 2 things about Ancient Greece for certain, the city-states were extremely independent and that they would put this aside during times of need.

The Rome 2 engine doesn't allow me to make Greece as realistic as possible, so please be kind towards any inaccuracies or unlikely scenarios. That being said I will attempt to keep Greece as authentic as possible, so any feedback is much appreciated.

I'm also looking for someone someone to do the texturing, so if your interested please PM me!

[In development] The Campaign Changes

The city states of Greece are going to be combined into one military entity. Sparta & Athens will be under the Greeks, with Eripus at war.

​Proposed - When/If campaign map editing becomes available, Greece will be expanded upon. Starting with Olympia and Corinth.

Instead of controlling one City state, you will control one portion of the Greek Coalition, similar to the Rome & Carthage Political system. These squabbling city states will make up your military council.

The Idealistic City State Senates of Greece will be:
    • Major: Sparta
    • Major: Athens
    • Major: Thebes
    • Minor States (other houses): Aristocracy/Oligarchs, Corinth & Argos

Units

The Factions of Athens and Sparta have been merged for the states, Most states will eventually have an elite unit to represent it's state.

There will also be some new Greek units added to diversify their rosters a little bit.
    The additional units that are currently planned:]

• [Released] Prefects (part of the town garrison), will be sprinkled among large mobs of civilians
    • [Released] Town Watch - Archers with a Sword/Shield combo
    • [Released] Athenian Marines - For a bit more maritime punch
    • [Proposed] Talos Warriors
    • [Released] Spartan Hoplites - Roughy the same as the mercenaries
    • [Released] Argonauts - Heavy Naval Infantry
    • [Released] Olympian Hippeis
    • [Released] Machairophoros Ekdromos - Light Swordsman
    • [Released] Illiryan Axemen - Medium Melee Infantry

Texture Artist Needed!!!
    A lot of these warriors will need new skins to represent the states.
    In particular -
    The gold from Argos for Hoplites & Epilekoi
    Olympia Blue for Hippeis Lancers
    Some artistic creativity for the Talos Warriors too

Faction Bonus
    These will be reworked to suit a more mainstream Greece.

The WIP Faction Bonus
    • Independent price: Lower income (to represent the difficulty with getting the states to do anything together)
    • The current defenders bonus will remain the same

Sparta & Athens will receive some changes to their bonus' but I will be completing the Campaign & Units before getting stuck into these.
    Last edited by Grazgul; September 16, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Foederatus

Default Re: Coaliton of Greek Independant States

Sounds good, cannot wait for the release, tried to play as a couple of the Greek factions but I really couldn't get into it, maybe this mod will help with that once released.

Dustindesrctin's Avatar Decanus

Sounds promising Can't wait to see what you do with this idea in the future.

mentecato's Avatar Civis

waiting for Corint!

Unfortunately the greek part of the map is too small to represent all the cities. It's a shame because Ancient Greece had so many amazing places. Corinth, Thebes, Delphi, Olympia ect. I'd love to have something for them all but without the right tools it's very limited.

I'll hopefully get some BETA units out this weekend, they won't be in the final textures but I'll try to find some close representatives.

The units I want to Beta this weekend:
    • Prefects
    • Argonauts
    • Athenian Marines
    • Olympian Hippeis
    • Machairophoros Ekdromos
    • Veteren Hoplites
    • Companions of Thebes (might be changed to Sacred Band)

I'll also try and Change Athens into the Coalition faction, the startpos.esf is like a maze of double dutch to me. So it'll most likely be very basic!

If any modders want to jump on board, feel free to pm me