Thread: How do you edit garrisons and auxilary?

Default How do you edit garrisons and auxilary?

2 questions about where to find the files to edit these...

Where is the information for garrisons at? I'd like to overall increase the strength of all garrisons in the game...which leads me to a followup question, what would happen if garrisons go over 20 units?

The next think I haven't had any luck finding is what keeps the romans from recruiting auxiliary troops in every one of their provinces, I've found in buildings where they are built, but since auxiliary are different per province that has to be defined somewhere.

Default Re: How do you edit garrisons and auxilary?

This deserves a big bump. It seems like certain region tables are missing or something. Nothing else is hard-coded like this.

Garrisons need to be strengthened, now it's game breaking!

I actually figured all this out on my own with trial and error, the confusing part is they do large cities and small cities differently, small cities are assigned to groups, and adding a unit to that group adds it to all small cities of that level...large cities are done ona unit by unit basis..I'm guessing what happened is they did large cities first, realized how much work small would be since each small city resource is a different building, then did it another easier and smarter way, then didn't go back to redo large cities properly....

My experiments with the files though led to me realizing something though garrisons are *drum-roll*.....bugged! Surprise!
    I was trying out other factions and noticed their garrisons are way better then the romans, gaul, partha, and even the etruscans (lol). As the cities level they are supposed to receive multiple units of the hastati line....the bug is that for units that upgrade (hastati to legionaries) you only get 1 no matter how many are assigned. Looking through the files large roman cities should have multiple heavy infantry garrisons, but they only get 1 in the game. I figured this out when I tried to make an upgrade for the rorari, and have them change into better units as you unlocked techs. What I found out was my upgraded unit only ever gave me 1, even though I'd have 3-5 rorari before the upgrade. This is what happens to the roman garrisons, they are supposed to get multiple hasati, which upgrade, but instead of keeping multiple it goes down to 1. I edited my garrison group to change the roman medium melee (hastati) to be aux infantry instead so now I have properly garrisoned cities, even though they really should be heavier, 4 aux infantry is better (i think?) then 1 legionnaire unit. To help make up for it I threw in a unit of equites into my small and large cities too haha.

I'm pretty sure this affects punics and helenics too since it looks like they have upgradeable units too but I'm not familiar with their garrisons.

I haven't figured out anything about the area of recruitments, I've stumbled on where they are defined but not where they are assigned =/

Igo's Avatar Libertus

Dekent could you please inform us which files we should be looking at, thanks.

yes please tell us... i want to edit the unit size per garrison individually...

lawngnome's Avatar Cool as a Dry Ice.

Yes- I did notice barbarians have pretty decent garrisons comparatively. This makes sense now... damn Plebs.
    Under the patronage of lawngnome. Patron of lawngnome.

building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions is what building gets what garrison based on group
    armed_citizenry_units_to_unit_groups_junctions tells it what units are in that group
    armed_citizenry_unit_groups is where the groups are defined

So for an example, in armed citizenry unit groups I add a row and call it dekentgarrison
    Then I go to the armed citizenry junctions and make some new lines with new ids (i used 20000+) I can put equites and war dogs at the bottom and have both unit groups be in dekentgarrison
    Then in building level junctions and assign that group to the building

Studying them you can figure it out, just remember they did it differently for large and small cities which can cause some confusion. Also if you use any units that upgrade it doesn't matter how many you put in the group, only one will count.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekent View Post
    building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions is what building gets what garrison based on group
    armed_citizenry_units_to_unit_groups_junctions tells it what units are in that group
    armed_citizenry_unit_groups is where the groups are defined

So for an example, in armed citizenry unit groups I add a row and call it dekentgarrison
    Then I go to the armed citizenry junctions and make some new lines with new ids (i used 20000+) I can put equites and war dogs at the bottom and have both unit groups be in dekentgarrison
    Then in building level junctions and assign that group to the building

Studying them you can figure it out, just remember they did it differently for large and small cities which can cause some confusion. Also if you use any units that upgrade it doesn't matter how many you put in the group, only one will count.
    Thank you good Sir, + Rep.
    To offend us is to offend God

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Is there a way for us to identify which cities get which garrisons? For instance, in the building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions_tables, I see at least a dozen entries for rom_HELLENIC_city_major_4, each with their own unique ID. How could one find the unique ID for the city garrison they wish to edit (e.g. Carthago)?
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 11, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

I found the answer to my question.

You can't modify individual cities' garrisons. There are multiple entries for major cities because they need to be able to specify what garrisons those buildings provide in the event another culture owns that building too (e.g. Rome conquers Carthago, but doesn't convert the building; it will likely get a few plebs and rorarii instead of a full-fledged garrison). There are also additional entries for every major city due to multiple unit groups assigned to such a city (e.g. a ranged unit group, melee unit group, and mob unit group). Furthermore, some buildings will have duplicated entries for unit groups simply to double/triple the amount of units it provides as a garrisons, which is particularly common with upgraded buildings (e.g. a basic melee unit group will have 2-3 entries to double/triple the amount of units it contributes to the garrison).
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekent View Post

The next think I haven't had any luck finding is what keeps the romans from recruiting auxiliary troops in every one of their provinces, I've found in buildings where they are built, but since auxiliary are different per province that has to be defined somewhere.
    For auxilia units,

Area of recruitment is defined on main_unit_tables, column region_unit_resource_requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    I found the answer to my question.

You can't modify individual cities' garrisons. There are multiple entries for major cities because they need to be able to specify what garrisons those buildings provide in the event another culture owns that building too (e.g. Rome conquers Carthago, but doesn't convert the building; it will likely get a few plebs and rorarii instead of a full-fledged garrison). There are also additional entries for every major city due to multiple unit groups assigned to such a city (e.g. a ranged unit group, melee unit group, and mob unit group). Furthermore, some buildings will have duplicated entries for unit groups simply to double/triple the amount of units it provides as a garrisons, which is particularly common with upgraded buildings (e.g. a basic melee unit group will have 2-3 entries to double/triple the amount of units it contributes to the garrison).
    Just to expand on this explanation..

For example, in the building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions table, let's (hypothetically) say we have:
    rom_HELLENIC_major_city_1, rom_hellenic_basic_melee
    rom_HELLENIC_major_city_1, rom_hellenic_basic_melee

That means the major city 1 building will receive 2 sets of whichever units we have in the Hellenic basic melee group.

Then let's say in the armed_citizenry_units_to_unit_groups_junctions table we have:
    rom_hellenic_basic_melee, car_hoplite
    rom_hellenic_basic_melee, hel_mob
    rom_hellenic_basic_melee, hel_mob

That means the Hellenic basic melee group has 1 unit of Carthaginian Hoplites and 2 units of Mobs. So if we combine the two tables, that would mean the Hellenic Major City 1 building will provide 2 Carthaginian Hoplites and 4 units of Mobs as its garrison (i.e. 2 times the unit group).

Anyways.. I went ahead and created a larger garrisons mod, but it only applies to "Major Cities," and especially to non-Roman factions.
    Download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post13311120
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 11, 2013 at 02:47 PM.