Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third Age Mod Start up Crash Fix

Default Third Age Mod Start up Crash Fix

The following was (for me), a confirmable remedy to an execution failure for Medieval 2's Third Age mod. Although the fix is relatively succinct, here's a little prerequisite information regarding the conditions of my repair:
    -Medieval 2 updated to 1.3
    -Medieval 2 Kingdoms updated to 1.05
    -Third Age updated to 3.2
    -Windows 8 OS
    -I'm using a retail version of Medieval 2 and Kingdoms, not Steam.

Now, to describe the problem specifically; this was a crash that occured when I attempted to start up Third Age using the Third Age.bat file in the Third Age folder(this is the default shortcut application). The game would boot up to the loading screen, and after a few seconds, would black screen and then close. Although I've read that others with this problem received error messages, and crash log reports, I never did. The application for me just ended.
    So, the first and most obvious thing you're going to want to do is ensure that you have Medieval 2, any Kingdoms campaign, and Third Age installed. Kingdoms and Third Age should be in your Medieval II: Total War\mods folder.
    Next
    , you'll need to install a specific replacement launcher that can be found by copying this link and pasting it into your web browser search bar: http://merx-serpentis.com/Downloads/...cement_1.2.zip
    The launcher itself requires .NET 4.0, which can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17851
    They are both very small downloads, and even the most appalling web speeds should have them in a few seconds.
    Now,
    the Zip file you downloaded will have a Launcher.exe in it. Copy it into your Medieval II: Total War folder and replace the existing one. Now, when you run the launcher, you should have a list of mods at the top right to select and start. Chances are, Third Age won't be there. So, you'll have to go to your Sega\Medieval II: Total war\mods folder and rename the Third Age folder to whatever Kingdoms Campaign name was visible in the launcher. Obviously you'll have to rename the actual campaigns folder to something else. Go back to new launcher and select the respective campaign name you swapped, and the game should load and play.
    Note
    : The previous Third Age.bat(that includes the shortcut) won't launch the game properly, so you'll have to make a shortcut to the new launcher, pin it to your taskbar/start menu or whatever.
    Note
    : The only other mods or sub mods I've tested this with is mos 1.5 & 1.6. The menu, custom battles, and campaign map work fine.
    Note
    : I've fiddled with Third Age briefly playing with the replacement launcher, and I haven't encountered any crashes during battle startup, in progress battles, siege and reinforcement battles, or spaz clicking in the main menu.

Here's a list of a few proposed fixes that I attempted before this one that never prevailed for me:
    -reinstallion/computer restart (with or without latest version).
    -Running the Third Age.bat as administrator or with full user account permissions.
    -unchecking "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Savings Time" in Time Zone settings.
    -changing notification frequency to "never notify" in user control settings.
    -Deleting "descr_geography_new.dbf" and "descr_geography_new.txt" from the Third Age\data folder before initial startup.

Libertus

Default Re: Third Age Mod Start up Crash Fix

Thank you, it was useful but there is a new problem now, when i click to custom battle, it crashes to desktop.

Try this last mentioned:

-Deleting
    "descr_geography_new.db" and
    "descr_geography_new.txt" from
    the M2TW/ mods/Folder where Third Age TW is installed\ data folder.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Thanks it worked for me, except I cant get any sound. Also do you think getting the MOS would crash the game or would it be fine to download ?.

Quote Originally Posted by lord-samsonite View Post
    Thanks it worked for me, except I cant get any sound. Also do you think getting the MOS would crash the game or would it be fine to download ?.
    Hello there and welcome to TWC Forums!

1. Do you have either Windows Vista, 7 or 8 as your operating system?

2. Is your M2TW a Steam or non steam version?

3. Have you downloaded and installed all four TATW Parts+Patches all up to 3.2 version?

I would wait with installing any other TATW Submod until you get TATW 3.2 up and running..
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Hey umm im sorry, im not so tech savvy, but after i did all the steps it won't launch my third age mod it says it can't find it, so I'm wondering if you might know where i went wrong?

1) Did you install all four TATW Parts+Patches all up to 3.2 version?

2) Did you rename one of your Kingdoms campaign folders to for example: teutonic_original, and renamed Third_Age_3 folder to teutonic? After that, launch the teutonic campaign from Steam launcher, and it should launch TATW 3.2.

Laetus

Thank You, I had been having this exact problem for a while and other fixes I tried from this site didn't work. Now that i have got the launcher shown and followed the steps it [Mos 1.6] works perfectly. This may be a solution for others who cant find this thread.

awwww. I did exactly what u said but it still didn't work

Hi there,
    I cearched every thread i could but it seems nobody has the same problem:
    (Windows 7, Kingdoms 1.05, Third Age 3.2, no submod)
    Everythings fine except:
    When i defeat another faction (take their last settlement, killt he last general) and after the battle i get back to the campaign map: in the moment when the message, that i defeated the faction, appears, the game crashes whith this usual failure massage ".. unusual error.." or stuff like that.
    I hope someone can help me, because i looooveee this MOD
    thx

Thank you!
    this actually helped me start the TATW 3.2 again after it crashed when trying MOS 1.6.2 submod.

Hello! Can somebody tell me how to play the MOS 1.6 with this launcher?
    When I start the launcher, Its starts normally, with the 3.2 patch without the MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    1) Did you install all four TATW Parts+Patches all up to 3.2 version?

2) Did you rename one of your Kingdoms campaign folders to for example: teutonic_original, and renamed Third_Age_3 folder to teutonic? After that, launch the teutonic campaign from Steam launcher, and it should launch TATW 3.2.
    Hello ElvenKind, quick question

I start with the launcher, mos 1.6.1 -- select my campaign, wait for the campaign to load, but then I crash before I get to the world map...
    I run on a 32-bit, windows 7 if that helps. I love the mod and the work you guys put into it! Greatly appreciated.

Maybe you should download new MOS version 1.7 ( plus bugfixes ) . Otherwise, run Cleaner.bat file located in your M2TW/ mods/ Third_Age_3 folder ( run it as an Administrator). If that does not fix it, then reinstall whole TATW 3.0 + 3.2 and MOS.

I didn't work for me and the exit on start up remained,though i didn't patch kingdoms to 1.5 cause it failed for some reason.I had third age working before i reinstalled it

Quote Originally Posted by dzizas View Post
    I didn't work for me and the exit on start up remained,though i didn't patch kingdoms to 1.5 cause it failed for some reason.I had third age working before i reinstalled it
    1.05(1.5) Patch is not really needed, but is desirable if it is installed.
    Answer these few questions:

1) Does your M2TW and Kingdoms work, can you start a campaign?

2) What Windows do you have, and is your M2TW a Steam or non Steam version ( I presume non Steam ) ?

3) Did you download and install Third Age 3.0 both parts, and Third Age 3.2 Patch?

I have windows 7,I have non-steam version and i downloaded part 1/2 part 2/2 and patch 3/2 (had patch 3.1 before but everything was same) btw im from croatia too

And yes my kingdoms campaigns work fine

Bok I dobrodošao na TWC forume!

Install TATW using these steps: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13675060

Good luck!

Da ali ja znam kako da instaliram TATW nego kad uđem u igricu bude mi ekran učtavanja i onde mi izađe.Da li ovo pomaže?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast