Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After all the grief, how about a bit of love. Free dlc!

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Default After all the grief, how about a bit of love. Free dlc!

Reading CA's statement about the release and further patches - 100s of patches to be followed by 100s of patches - it seems all of this feedback is hitting the spot. Hail to the forums and keep it up. I feel they could somewhat ameliorate the hostility and generate some goodwill by gifting some of the their dlc with the release of the patches. A small reward to all the Beta testers.

Cross_'s Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: After all the grief, how about a bit of love. Free dlc!

They are giving away free DLC all. They gave us one on day 1, forgot the name sorry, and then we are getting seleucid later down the line for free as well.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dog View Post
    I feel they could somewhat ameliorate the hostility and generate some goodwill by gifting some of the their dlc with the release of the patches. A small reward to all the Beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross_ View Post
    They are giving away free DLC all. They gave us one on day 1, forgot the name sorry, and then we are getting seleucid later down the line for free as well.
    I agree completely with what AngryJoe said. It's getting pretty ri-god-dang-diculous to take bits and pieces away from a product and then sell it back to us piece by piece as "DLC". The Seleucid's are already in the game, the Greek States were already in the game. It's almost criminal tbh. For example, it's like selling someone a Raphael TMNT action figure, except when you get the toy you're not allowed to use his sai's or to use his awesome karate-chop action unless you pay an extra 8 dollars for each individual action + batteries weren't included.

Remember when expansions were like, expansive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sii View Post
    I agree completely with what AngryJoe said. It's getting pretty ri-god-dang-diculous to take bits and pieces away from a product and then sell it back to us piece by piece as "DLC". The Seleucid's are already in the game, the Greek States were already in the game. It's almost criminal tbh. For example, it's like selling someone a Raphael TMNT action figure, except when you get the toy you're not allowed to use his sai's or to use his awesome karate-chop action unless you pay an extra 8 dollars for each individual action + batteries weren't included.

I'm sorry that companies aren't willing to spend 100,000's or millions to develop new content, and then not charge you for it. THat's kind of how DLC works. The free factions aren't even content they NEED to make for you and give it out for free - they could charge! They chose not too.

mav61's Avatar Civis

Probably explains why there are so much missing...we will get free content but i bet you we will be paying also..

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    I'm sorry that companies aren't willing to spend 100,000's or millions to develop new content, and then not charge you for it. THat's kind of how DLC works. The free factions aren't even content they NEED to make for you and give it out for free - they could charge! They chose not too.
    What the...? Instead of 9 playable factions we have 8+1 playable for free and you call that generosity? Did you ever go shopping and realize how selling stuff works? Heck, you would be content with only Rome playable, because they didn't have to make the other factions playable or what? I bet Brian Blessed and his vid costed more money than "making" Epirus which even involves the few seconds of the DLC Trailer. But the thing is: The content was there and because of Steam they were able to hold it back and sell this piece seperately. I don't care whether the Greeks wouldn't have made it into the game because of time issues, thats a development decision, but I do care about snapping for money for things that you can see in the game. It's damn marketing and yeah I'm extremely annoyed because I still haven't got my DLC Code. Sure, it's an amazon issue but it sucks nonetheless and could've easily been avoided if they just hold their feet still, continue working and releasing after 12-18 months an addon with new features. In case you don't get it: Your "new content" is actually "old content" and a mere analogy to already existing features, i.e. factions. Quantity is cheap, quality is valuable and I don't see quality at all in the so-called faction DLC.

Oh yeah before I forget: If it wasn't fixed until today (I don't know because I can't check it now), the very first chapter of missions of Sparta is also called "Audacibus annue coeptis" for the Greeks according to a LP. Yeah, I totally see millions flowing in this "content". You tell me what is special about the Greeks, what deserved to be developed extraordinarily in order to justify eight dollars from each consumer because thats the current price in Steam.
    Last edited by Suite; September 11, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suite View Post
    What the...? Instead of 9 playable factions we have 8+1 playable for free and you call that generosity? Did you ever go shopping and realize how selling stuff works? Heck, you would be content with only Rome playable, because they didn't have to make the other factions playable or what? I bet Brian Blessed and his vid costed more money than "making" Epirus which even involves the few seconds of the DLC Trailer. But the thing is: The content was there and because of Steam they were able to hold it back and sell this piece seperately. I don't care whether the Greeks wouldn't have made it into the game because of time issues, thats a development decision, but I do care about snapping for money for things that you can see in the game. It's damn marketing and yeah I'm extremely annoyed because I still haven't got my DLC Code. Sure, it's an amazon issue but it sucks nonetheless and could've easily been avoided if they just hold their feet still, continue working and releasing after 12-18 months an addon with new features. In case you don't get it: Your "new content" is actually "old content" and a mere analogy to already existing features, i.e. factions. Quantity is cheap, quality is valuable and I don't see quality at all in the so-called faction DLC.
    I'm sorry that you think content that is developed outside the game's main budget - the game you pay for - isn't free. It sure would be nice if all companies could develop brand new content that was never intended to be included, for completely free, right? I mean, yeah it would, but that's not how business works. If they just create content, that costs them money, and then give it away, how are they supposed to turn a profit? The Greek City States are DLC, as they were developed off Rome 2's budget - they didn't need to include it. But they wanted to, so a separate budget was made for it. They need to recoup that cost somehow. People need to stop being paranoid and think all DLC is 'completed content they cut out to make you pay for later'. It's content made on an entirely different budget, they have to be able to pay back all those manhours. Making stuff isn't cheap.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

They haven't taken away anything. In fact Lusted gave us a guide to make every faction playable. It's been made already, go get it if you want to play a minor faction. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...xes-for-Update

The DLC just fleshes out those factions and makes them more suited to a major faction. Probably adds unique traits, victory conditions, introductory advisor speech, and a few units. If you don't care about that stuff and just want to play the faction as it is you don't have to buy the DLC, just download the mod. If you want to be a conspiracy theorist and believe that all this stuff is already done, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, believe what you want.

Funny how people will claim that the game was rushed released unfinished, then turn around and claim that all the DLC was all completely finished and then cut.
    Last edited by the_mango55; September 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    I don't even quite understand what you're saying. How can you even defend what they and others are doing? Did you not catch my analogy? The truth is I'm not getting any content, the content is already downloaded, I'm paying for the code to unlock something that was in the game when I purchased it for full price. Another analogy, I sell you an entire pie with 8 slices for 15 dollars. I then take 3 slices out of that pie and then I say, "Here, because so many people bought this type of pie here's a single free slice of pie. The last two slices of pie will cost you 15% of your original purchase." I'm supposed to be grateful for that? What I'd do and what I normally do is laugh and walk away. I don't often buy content that isn't new content because what they're doing is flat out unethical.

Yes, they can charge me whatever they want for their games and I have every right not to purchase it and criticize them for their nickle-and-dime bull****. However, push-over consumers and apologists like yourself ruin the market and make it much easier for developers to take advantage of the consumer.

You have the faction on your game, yes. You DO NOT have all it's unique traits and features. It's just a minor faction - hardly completed. It exists in your game, because the AI has to be able to control it. It's not playable however, and CA is not somehow withholding this from you. It just hasn't been made yet.

Mango, what was fleshed out exactly? You tell me! Generic victory conditions? 4 sentences speech? Units which were already ingame? What unique traits are this, are they completely different from Macedons? They have a huge profit because of the preordering: It gives security in planning (don't know the english term for this but I hope you know what I mean) and furthermore money before things are finished. And apparently the stuff is that cheap that they can realistically afford to "give away" the Seleucids. So yeah, have a big big budget (40% more, you know) but spend all nevertheless because not spending all results is budget limitation as we all know. And then? Oh yeah, budget spent, but there is an opportunity to "recoup the cost" of unlocking 3 factions themselves before modders can do (and they do very quick nowadays) and charging you with eight bucks for it. Very nice, indeed. I can halfways deal with that, this is business after all. But to praise the "freeLC" as a gift from heaven is ten steps too far in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    They haven't taken away anything. In fact Lusted gave us a guide to make every faction playable. It's been made already, go get it if you want to play a minor faction. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...xes-for-Update

The DLC just fleshes out those factions and makes them more suited to a major faction. Probably adds unique traits, victory conditions, introductory advisor speech, and a few units. If you don't care about that stuff and just want to play the faction as it is you don't have to buy the DLC, just download the mod. If you want to be a conspiracy theorist and believe that all this stuff is already done, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, believe what you want.

Funny how people will claim that the game was rushed released unfinished, then turn around and claim that all the DLC was all completely finished and then cut.
    It's not just a CA thing it's the grand scope of all gaming. However, the Greek States still costs $7.99, that was complete and don't give me that it was free for pre-order incentive bull**** because that's what it is, bull****.

Praeses

I think the change in games is they now release unfinished, and charge absurd extra amounts for stuff that used to be released in the game.

We're basically paying to test the beta, and waiting around for the game to be playable.

Personally I'll be waiting for a Steam, sale in about a year where all the DLC gets offered in a bundle for $12.99. If this turns out like Empire then SEGA should cut and run about then. Hopefully the modders will save this as they have everything since RomeTW.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

yeah a extra unit or two will make this game 9/10 lol
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Sii, you do realize the Seleucids will be free DLC right?

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    yeah a extra unit or two will make this game 9/10 lol
    I think its actually a fine looking game with excellent bone structure. Needs a better BAI as every man, his dog and all the dog's fleas have noticed. If we get that, by hook or by crook, it'll be a frikken' excellent game.

I'm enjoying it now, about 20 hours in and I'm nerving myself up to playing on Insane. However I'm considering auto-resolving every battle because of the way swathes of enemys impale themselves on my pikes or other defensive positions. Fix this and its going to be a blast.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

I decided to pre order to acquire Epirus.....maybe someone else feels my pain.

I hope the Seleucids arn't as awful.
    True bread is for True Romans

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Suite View Post
    Mango, what was fleshed out exactly? You tell me! Generic victory conditions? 4 sentences speech? Units which were already ingame? What unique traits are this, are they completely different from Macedons? They have a huge profit because of the preordering: It gives security in planning (don't know the english term for this but I hope you know what I mean) and furthermore money before things are finished. And apparently the stuff is that cheap that they can realistically afford to "give away" the Seleucids. So yeah, have a big big budget (40% more, you know) but spend all nevertheless because not spending all results is budget limitation as we all know. And then? Oh yeah, budget spent, but there is an opportunity to "recoup the cost" of unlocking 3 factions themselves before modders can do (and they do very quick nowadays) and charging you with eight bucks for it. Very nice, indeed. I can halfways deal with that, this is business after all. But to praise the "freeLC" as a gift from heaven is ten steps too far in the wrong direction in my opinion.
    So what you're saying is you don't think it's worth your money?

If that's the case, don't buy it. You can still play the faction through the mods enabling all factions, you just won't get any new units or the "Generic victory conditions" and "4 sentences speech", which you clearly don't care for anyway. This is a very simple concept.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I can't wait for the Scythian DLC tbh. I'll probably buy it tbh. I know that totally screws over everybody who bought Rome 2 beta tbh. But tbh I already have the game and fell for Sega and CA's perfectly set trap, so I might as well enjoy it. Tbh that's pretty ed up. Srsly though CA you should at least make the Scythia DLC free since you pretty much failed to complete Rome 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast