Thread: Historical Armies.

Default Historical Armies.

Hi can someone please tell me how to make an historical army at least for WRE and ERE using this mod?

I have read some info about this time period and they say that there was more cavalry and that armies were smaller and were mostly used for raids rather than pitched battles.

Can anyone tell me more about this so I can play historical the game?

Thanks a lot.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Historical Armies.

At this time there seem to have been few the soldiers we can call Legionnaries. Stilico used a predominant Foederati army to wage war against any invaders. His successor Aetius used an army made of Franks and Burgurindians to fight the huns. Unlike version 5, in this version Comitatensis take 3 turns, so take care of the ones you have. In 5.0v, I used 4 comitatensis in the front, 3 Plumaterii in the middle and 4 mixed units of either Lancerii or Comotatensis. Catapracths are a must, the rest Sagittarii and Foederati. While the East was able to purge itself of Gothic auxilliaries and move towards a more Byzantine, cavalry army, the West continue to use Barbarians to fight for the Empire. In the end this sealed the collapse of the Principate.

Cheers

I think you are right with WRE, but I think that ERE had more specific armies. Thanks alot.

Can someone expand more?

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

thanks for the info im going to read it.

Guys for those who want to know the Notitia Dignatorum tells you a lot of the army composition of the WRE and ERE.

I suppose Barbarians recruited what they could. I have heard that Ostrogoths had more cavalry than the Visigoths.

The only one that still intrigues me is the Sassanid army.