Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellas Resurgent - The "Classical Greek" Unit Pack

Default Hellas Resurgent - The "Classical Greek" Unit Pack

After playing an Athenian and a Spartan campaign, I've come to love the way the Greek states are portrayed in this game. However, I'm a larger fan of the idea of the 'Classical Greek' soldier. Namely, the one wearing a bronze thorax and a Corinthian helm. And yes, I know, this is not historically accurate for the time period, but I think they look awesome, so I made myself a mod editing both Spartan and Athenian units to more closely resemble my concept of Greek Warriors. I figured that I'd post it on here, and see if maybe someone else would be interested in playing around with them!

So, without further ado, I present the Hellas Resurgent pack!

Update: General William Howe created an epic video that uses the uniform version of my mod in it!

Check it out here!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DON9JidWf9Q

Sparta!

Spoiler for Sparta

Spartan Hoplites:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I've added in a more classical version of the Corinthian helmet with a forward facing plume, and given them all bronze shields. I left the plumed Thracian helmets in as I felt the regular spartan Hoplites benefited from some unit diversity. I also left the Linothorax because it seemed proper to have them somewhat mirror the standard Hoplite in the game.

Update: These units now have bronze cuirasses worked into them, although it's rare, (Approximately 1 in 6)(As of 1.4).

Heroes of Sparta:

Spoiler for Images

These are uniformly equipped with the classical Corinthian helmet as well as a bronze chest plate, to reflect their status as elite units. I considered editing them to increase their unit size to be on par with the rest of units, but I decided to leave them be to maintain compatibility with the inevitable unit stat overhauls that come out, that will no doubt balance the game better than I'd be able to.

Royal Spartans:

Spoiler for Images

These units have the bronze Thorax and a Corinthian helm with a more ornate crest. They also have the crimson cloak that the Spartans were famous for. They are, in my opinion, the epitome of the classical spartan look, and give the Spartans a very imposing late game army base.

Spartan Pikemen (New in v1.2):

Spoiler for Images

Equipped similarly to Spartan Hoplites, these units forego the Hoplon for the Aspis, which is more suited to a pike Phalanx.

Perioikoi Hoplites (New in v1.2):

Spoiler for Images

These units have greek hoplon, but unpainted, as well as varied Linothorax to represent their nature as a less elite unit, and only have basic Thracian and Corinthian helms without plumes.

Perioikoi Spears (New in v1.2):

Spoiler for Images

Armored with a linothorax and basic helms, these units use the Theuros instead of the Hoplon to fulfill the role of a light spear unit rather than a heavy hoplite.

Perioikoi Pikemen (New in v1.2):

Spoiler for Images

Equipped in a similar manner to the other Perioikoi units, these have a simple bronze Aspis.

Perioikoi Peltasts (New in v1.2):

Spoiler for Images

This unit also uses the Theuros rather than the Hoplon, as it seems more fitting for a skirmisher type unit.

Tarantine Cavalry (New in v1.4!):

Spoiler for Images

These units, as befitting their role as light cavalry, wear Linothorax, and have mostly basic non-crested helms.

Citizen Cavalry (New in v1.4!):

Spoiler for Images

These units have a mix of Linothorax and Bronze chestplates, as well as a fairly wide variety of helmets to represent their self-purchased equipment.

Also included, but not shown, is a change that brings the Spartan units in line with the other Greek units in terms of actual height. I found it somewhat un-mmersive that the Spartans stood a full head above the other units, and felt that it was a cheap attempt to make them more imposing.

Periokoi Swordsmen (New in 1.7) (When used with GSARE):

These units are Periokoi, but they are given spartan swords, to show their importance in the new spartan battle line. They fight in the Italian style, hurling javelins and using thrusting blades at close range, however they are still Greek at heart.

Spartan Thorax Swordsmen
    (New in 1.7)(When used with GSARE):

These units are the new elite of the Spartans, showing that even stalwart Spartans can learn a thing or two about war. They fight in the Italian style, with sword and javelin, but they are Spartans at heart, and brutally professional warriors.

Spartan Thorax Spearmen

These units are lighter spartan spearmen, meant to flank and give chase to the enemy. They are equipped as such, with light linothorax and theuros shields.

Royal Spartan Pikemen

Spartan Royalty who have chosen to fight in the Macedonian style. They are incredibly skilled warriors, and will hold a line like few others in the world.

Athens!

Spoiler for Athens

Hoplites:

Spoiler for Images

Not much has changed here. I basically just removed the Phrygian helmet from these Hoplites, as personally I really dislike it. I kept the other helmets, but I also added in the classical Corinthian helmet, though it appears with about the same frequency as other helmets, so they aren't over saturated by it.

Update: These units now have bronze cuirasses worked into them, although it's rare, (Approximately 1 in 6)(As of 1.4).

Thorax Hoplites:

Spoiler for Images

When I first read the Steam description for the Greek States Pack and read the entry for Thorax Swordsmen and Hoplites, I was really excited. It described the Athenians as having elite units that would resemble Athenian units during the golden age of Greece. Instead, we got basically Romanized Greek infantry. While this may be historically accurate, I dislike it, I prefer my late game Athenian armies to be a sort of return to form for the greeks, a return to power. And for me, that meant shining bronze armor and the iconic Hoplon. In this pack, Thorax hoplites are given back the hoplon, making them truly worthy of the name, bronze thoraxes, and a combination of classical Corinthian and Thracian helms.

Update!: These units now wear more Corinthian Helmets in relation to the other helms to represent their elite status! (As of v1.4!).

Thorax Swordsmen:

Spoiler for Images

These are basically the same as Thorax Hoplites, simply without the spears. In my opinion they resemble a possible outcome of military evolution for the greeks, maintaining the hoplon but fighting as heavy infantry rather than a phalanx. While many will cry out about how the hoplon wouldn't be suited to this, I personally feel that rule of cool applies here, and it means that late game Athenian armies will have a strikingly greek theme to them while still being able to field heavy infantry.

Update!: These units now wear more Corinthian Helmets in relation to the other helms to represent their elite status! (As of v1.4!).

Hippeus Lancers (New in v1.4!):

Spoiler for Images

These units wear bronze armor and crested Corinthian and Thracian helms to represent their status as nobility.

Light Hoplites (New in 1.7):

These hoplites wear light armor and helmets, allowing them to move quickly to hit enemies in the flank, or run down skirmishers.

Elite Classical Hoplites (New in 1.7)(When Using GSARE):

The true elites of Athens, these units are a tribute to the soldiers of old, well equipped, and highly trained, they are a true sight to behold on the battlefield.

Theuros Spears (New in 1.7):

These units fight in a style that combines the hoplite phalanx with formations more closely resembling the tribes to the north, allowing the more mobility than a traditional phalanx, while still being quite effective.

Professional Light Hoplites (New in 1.7)(When Using GSARE):

These light hoplites have proven themselves on the field of battle, and are an excellent force of mobile infantry for hitting enemies where they least expect it.

Elite Light Pikemen (New in 1.7)(When Using GSARE):

These Pikemen wear cool linothorax, and are more mobile than Thorax Pikemen, but are no less well trained.

New in 1.9: Picked Hoplites!

The elite, even amongst the Athenians, these men are equipped similarly to Thorax Hoplites, but their equipment is even better, their wealth allowing them to afford the best protection.

The Successor States! (Diadochoi Resplendent.)

Spoiler for Successor States

Pikemen:

Pikemen remain mostly unchanged, except for the addition of Xiphos swords, the removal of the Phyrigian helmet, and the addition of a few more helmet variants.

Thorax Pikemen:

Thorax Pikemen combine the Alexandrian style of warfare with the excellent equipment of ancient Greece. They wear the Phyrgian helm as a sign of their elite status.

Shield Bearers:

Shield Bearers wear a mix of Thracian and Chalcidian crested helmets, with a rare chance of wearing Corinthian helms. Other than that, they are relatively unchanged.

Foot Companions:

Foot Companions have the same equipment as Shield Bearers, but with Aspis shields to facilitate phalangite combat, and cloaks to mark them as Companions.

Royal Peltasts:

Royal Peltasts wear the same helm as Foot Companions and Shield bearers, as befitting their status as elite units, but they keep their linothorax to maintain their position as a mobile flanking force in the Makedonian army. They also have Xiphos' instead of Kopis'.

Sarissa Cavalry:

Sarissa Cavalry wear non-crested helms and tunics, giving them mobility on the charge.

Companion Cavalry:

Companion Cavalry are equipped much like the Foot Companions, only mounted.

Aspis Companion Cavalry:

Aspis Companion Cavalry are equipped like regular Companion Cavalry, but with Kopis', which give them the edge in melee combat.

Silver Shield Swordsmen (New in 1.7):

These units are the elite of the Arche Seleukia, finest of their infantry who work to maintain the Empire from the myriad threats that surround it.

Silver Shield Pikemen (New in 1.7):

These units are the walls of the Seleucid Empire, their excellent training and equipment allowing them to be the finest line of defense for the Empire.

So there's my mod, and not only that, but my first! I marked it as a WIP because while I'm content for now, I'm sure things will pop up in game that will lead me to add to it. If I can learn how to make new units, I may make some unique units for the other Greek factions unlocked now that we have an all factions mod.

Hopefully at least a few people share my love of the somewhat stereotypical hoplite, and will get some enjoyment out of this mod!

Download:

Version 1.9: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7z...nt1.9fixed.rar
    Version 1.9 Uniform: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jusu3jr26f00uzv/HellasResurgentUniform1.9.rar
    Diadochoi Resplendent 1.7: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o7...esplendant.rar

Spoiler for Old Versions

All of these are contained in one download due to attachment restrictions on the forums. Download and refer to the changelog to decide what you want.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y4hfn3hzlcf02se/Old_Versions.rar

Installation instructions:

1. Place the .pack file into the games data folder, my folder is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Total War Rome II\Data.

2. Use .Mitch's mod manager to enable it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...36-Mod-Manager

3. Play the game!

Compatibility with GSARE (New in 1.7):

This mod can now be used with the excellent GSARE, found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-v101-released (All props to Smarmy!).

If you wish to have the units appear as he intended, load AARE and SARE at the top, using Mitch's mod manager. If you wish to have my modified skins, load my mods on top of his.

Spoiler for Changelog

v1.0: Initial release, detailed above.

v1.1: Thorax Swordsmen primary weapon changed to Xiphos, as it was the preferred infantry weapon for Greek soldiers due to its versatility.

v1.1: Uniform added, which removes all of the helmets from the above greek units except for Corinthian helms, ensuring that all units will consistently have that classical feel.

v1.2: Spartan shields updated to Red Lamda, texture courtesy of Playker. Added perioikoi units detailed above.
    v1.2 Uniform: Same changes as v1.2 but with uniform crested and plain corinthian helms.
    v1.2 Uniform No Cloak: Same as v1.2, but as per request removed cloaks from Royal Spartans.
    v1.3: Spartan Perioikoi Hoplites given greek unpainted shields, Thorax pikemen touched up. By request, added version with vanilla Heroes of Sparta.

v1.4: Cavalry added, detailed above. Bronze armor worked into Spartan/Athenian Hoplite units, although rare (approximately 1 in 6 will have it.) Additional version with vanilla capes for Spartan Heroes/Royal Spartans added.

v1.5: Thorax Pikemen removed from Hellas Resurgent Pack and added to the new Diadochoi Resplendent pack, detailed above!

v1.6: Updated the Greek Standard Bearer with bronze armor and a Corinthian helm, although I left the Theuros.

v.1.7: Added compatability with GSARE, updated some Seleucid units, added in beards.

v1.7 Fixed: Updated unit_variants table to provide compatibility with the new Bactria Units!

v1.8: Updated unit_variants table to work with Caesar in Gaul and patch 8.

v1.9: Updated for compatibility with Hannibal at the Gates, added in new Picked Hoplites.

A huge amount of credit, as well as props, has to go to Prof. He created the Corinthian helm with the tall crest, was gracious enough to let me use it, and it was by looking at his changes that I figured out how to do all of this. Also, Ahiga and Den5104 were kind enough to teach me how to edit unit height, and to contribute a ton to my ability to use the PFM.
    Additionaly, as of v1.2, massive credit has to go to Playker, who generously allowed me to use his shield textures for Spartans from his awesome mod, which you can find here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...one-by-Playker.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alexmcm13; May 18, 2014 at 01:10 AM.

Default Re: Hellas Resurgent - The "Classical Greek" Unit Pack

That looks awesome! I too will embrace that alternate military evolution history for my Greek play-through, thanks!

By the way, do you know how to add units from a faction to another? I'd like to recreate a Greek league and use units from each different units in my roster.
    Last edited by Chinaski; September 10, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

This gives me a dilemma, because I like the More Uniformed Greek Units mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinaski View Post
    That looks awesome! I too will embrace that alternate military evolution history for my Greek play-through, thanks!

By the way, do you know how to add units from a faction to another? I'd like to recreate a Greek league and use units from each different units in my roster.
    Thanks for the compliment! I don't actually know how to add units from one faction to another. Adding units and figuring out how to make them recruitable will probably be my next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    This gives me a dilemma, because I like the More Uniformed Greek Units mod.
    I do like that mod, part of me loves the idea of a uniform Greek army. However, part of me likes the randomized system just a little bit more, I find it makes more sense seeing as how the soldiers would be providing their own equipment.
    Last edited by Alexmcm13; September 10, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

I didn't actually create that corinthian helmet. I just put the parts CA put into the files together in a different way than they did. ^^
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I didn't actually create that corinthian helmet. I just put the parts CA put into the files together in a different way than they did. ^^
    Eh, I still feel like you deserve a ton of credit. Without your mod this one probably wouldn't have happened.

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmcm13 View Post
    I do like that mod, part of me loves the idea of a uniform Greek army. However, part of me likes the randomized system just a little bit more, I find it makes more sense seeing as how the soldiers would be providing their own equipment.
    Maybe an alternate version in the future? May I also suggest that you change the sword of Thorax Swordsmen to the correct one.

Maybe an alternate version in the future? May I also suggest that you change the sword of Thorax Swordsmen to the correct one.
    Working on the Thorax weapon now. As for the alternate version, that sounds like a plan, I'm simply now torn between two options: Do I have them equipped solely with Corinthian helms? Or with Thracian helms? I'm leaning towards the Corinthian, but what do you think would work best?

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

I'd choose the Corinthian as well. Which other helmet is more identified with the Hoplites than the Corinthian?

Leonidas480bc's Avatar Semisalis

Now all you need to do is change the white lambda on thier hoplon to red like plaker did in his mod. Nicely done I downloaded this hoplefully the red lambda will follow in another version,

Looks sick!

I'd choose the Corinthian as well. Which other helmet is more identified with the Hoplites than the Corinthian?
    I concur, at the moment I'm waiting for Playkers permission to use his shields in the next update. If I get that, I'll make two new versions, one as is with the red shields, and another with uniform Corinthian helms plus red shields for Spartans. If he doesn't give me permission, I'll have to go hunting and figure out how to change the shields myself, so I'll probably push out a version with shields as is plus uniform helms, just to save some time.

On the subject of Uniform equipment, do you think I should remove the paint on the Athenian shields to make them bronze? Or leave them? I like the shields both ways, although having them painted does give them a bit more uniqueness compared to the Spartan ones with their flat bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas480bc View Post
    Now all you need to do is change the white lambda on thier hoplon to red like plaker did in his mod. Nicely done I downloaded this hoplefully the red lambda will follow in another version,
    I've contacted Playker to see if I can either A: Use his shields, or B: get some idea of how he changed them. I'm still learning the PFM, so I'm not entirely sure what changes he made. If he gives permission, or helps me out, this'll be in the next version of the mod. If not, it may take a little while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RemiWell View Post
    Looks sick!
    Thanks! I'm quite proud of it for my first mod!

Update: Added a version where the units are equipped with Corinthian Helms exclusively. I may change the standard Hoplites shields to plain bronze instead of painted, but that's dependent upon further feedback. As for the Spartan shields being turned to red, I'm still awaiting permission for that.

1stCohort's Avatar Libertus

Looks good. I like the variety you got between the units. I believe that Greek soldiers brought their own armor into battle so from a historical standpoint (and a personal preference) its good to see some variation. Thank you for this mod, good job.

I really like what you did with the thorax units, Because they looked like crap before

Quote Originally Posted by 1stCohort View Post
    Looks good. I like the variety you got between the units. I believe that Greek soldiers brought their own armor into battle so from a historical standpoint (and a personal preference) its good to see some variation. Thank you for this mod, good job.
    Thanks a ton! Both reasons you stated, historical authenticity (I don't believe in Historical Accuracy in a game like this, because if I did, then Rome would win against everyone but the Eastern powers) and personal preference, led me to maintain a degree of diversity in unit equipment. The only units I decided not to include this for were the elite Spartan units, as I feel they wouldn't settle for anything less than the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Undesired_Hero View Post
    I really like what you did with the thorax units, Because they looked like crap before
    Thanks! I too really disliked them. I can see why CA designed them that way, as basically Romanized units, but I dislike the idea that cultures had to Romanize or die, so I created a kind of alternate military evolution for Greece so they could be effective, yet still retain their Greek style.

I also don't understand why they listed them differently on the steam page. This was the initial description of Thorax Hoplites on the page for the greek DLC:

Thorax Hoplites – [Unique to Athens]

These heavy hoplites are marked by their bronze breastplate armour, a sign of wealth and status. They are armed with spears and hoplon shields, and use the phalanx formation to batter enemies into submission.
    So I wanted something more akin to that unit, not the 'Romanized Hoplites'.
    Last edited by Alexmcm13; September 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Absolutely fantastic mod, good sir! Well received here as I agree with your opinion on the 'Classical Greek' when compared to the, at this point in the game, 'modern Greek.' Great job, +rep.

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

I like the way they are now. What plans do you for the Greek cavalry and missile units?
    Last edited by Leggy; September 11, 2013 at 04:46 AM.

Great mod!but can you modify the Alternate Uniform Version that the Heroes of Sparta look like the vanilla version but with out the cloaks? and make preioikoi hoplites and light hoplites with these helms ? :http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...2FB6DC363FBD3/ thanks!!! and credit to prof and playker for the Corinthian helm

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

nice job! +Rep!

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast