Thread: Dilemma, Generals and traits idea

Default Dilemma, Generals and traits idea

One of many things that has bugged me about Rome 2 is the implementation of dilemmas. I think there are 3 primary problems with the current system:

1) Dilemmas do not affect generals. (Before anyone suggests it the fawn dilemma doesn't actually affect the selected general in any real way)

2) Dilemmas do not have an obvious effect.

3) Dilemmas do not affect traits.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Dilemmas only affect generals. No more random family members popping up and then disappearing again.

2) Dilemma should have clear effects, no more guess and see.

3) Dilemmas should be linked to the campaign map and should be divided into two categories: Internal and external. Internal dilemmas: These would affect generals within your empire (including statesman). External dilemmas: These would affect generals whilst in enemy territory.

Some examples of how these would work:

1) Internal - Your general has just conquered a new settlement. A dilemma box pops up: 'General a group of local farmers have accused several of your soldiers of slaughtering their livestock. What do intend to do?'

option A: Pay the farmers for the livestock out of your own pocket (-1000 denarii)
    option B: Punish the soldiers responsible and make pay the farmers out of their wages (-5% army morale for 5 turns)
    option C: Dismiss the farmer's accusations - This is war after all (result -5 to public order for 5 turns)

2) External - 'General, several men have been caught trying to desert from your army. How will you decide their fate?'

option A: Put the men on latrines duty for the rest of the campaign (+5% army morale for 5 turns)
    option B: Forgive the men (General gains the compassionate trait)
    option C: Execute the traitors (General gains the feared trait)

Obviously these are just a few quick examples I've made up (Please don't spend this thread debating them, they are just examples!) I believe that by tying together dilemmas, generals and their traits, we can achieve a much greater depth with regards to general development (Knowing that general is an evil bastard because of decisions you made) as well as immersion (something Rome 2 sorely lacks).

It's no family tree, but I do believe it would create a better attachment to generals, as well as providing some actual tough decisions that will help immerse the player better.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Dilemma, Generals and traits idea

So true, the dilemma system is under-used. As with missions and the few events we get, I believe we can have significant improvements into these areas in the near future (at least in the moddability potential), if the development team hear me... Else I'll just wait for the mods to do it the painstaking way.

Nice idea. Something like this would help flesh dilemmas out.

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I agree with everything you suggested OP. Right now it's just random pop ups. To make things worse more then 75% of the time it gives me the wrong response. :/
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    So true, the dilemma system is under-used. As with missions and the few events we get, I believe we can have significant improvements into these areas in the near future (at least in the moddability potential), if the development team hear me... Else I'll just wait for the mods to do it the painstaking way.
    I would love to know what aspects of this could be modded in, my guess is most of it won't be possible, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dilemmas are entirely detached from game characters. They only grant things like additional buffs to cities. Dilemma events technically have nothing to do with your generals, or at least I have never seen one, so in their defense I never expected that.

I do think that Dilemmas affecting actual characters in the campaign would have been a useful addition.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I'm pretty sure something to this degree is possible, just look at all the "cdir_events" tables in TWeak in the Assembly Kit.

It looks really quite complex though! But i'd say for sure some complex system with custom options that effect a great deal of things is possible. Will anyone bother? Probably not.