Thread: Disappointed

Default Disappointed

While battles run fine for me on vanilla RTW/BI with moderate graphic settings, i find the lag impossible to deal with whenever there is a big battle in ATW. I reckon that a 3/4stack battle on either side will take me more then 4 hrs to complete, and this is on the lowest possible graphic settings!!

I run a 3ghz comp with 1 gig ram and almost no background processes, the lag prob comes from my 256meg ati 9600xt. Tried enabling a few models of the buggy spirites and ctded everytime (must you enable all the spirites for it to work??), not very willing to compromise with a lower unit scale as i believed ATW should be played at the huge unit scale to experience all the difficulities in juggling the low population.

Was looking forward to ATW's release but currently as it stands ATW is unplayable for me and i believed quite a few others, i do hope mod developers will be able to release the a patch with spirites de-bugged and enabled so that a larger audience can play it. Thanx in advance

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Default Re: Disappointed

i have 2GB RAM other than that pretty much the same machine (radeon card 256 MB). I can run the game with max settings without significant lags *shrugs*

Seems like people are having quite different experiences with ATW and performance. Maybe a thread/poll in which people post their system specs and performance would be interesting.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

good idea. so shall it be.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Only a thought, people could lower the resolution and perhaps disable anti-aliasing (anti-aliasing disabled might fix some problems, perhaps).

Btw., here is a list of hardware resource-relations for the video-settings:

Resolution: VIDEO CARD
    Anti-Aliasing: VIDEO CARD
    Unit Size: CPU
    Terrain Detail: CPU
    Unit Detail: CPU
    Building Detail: CPU
    Effects Detail: VIDEO CARD
    Grass Detail: VIDEO CARD
    Vegetation: VIDEO CARD
    Shadows: CPU + VIDEO CARD
    High Quality Shadows: VIDEO CARD
    Smoke/Dust: VIDEO CARD
    Reflections/Glints: VIDEO CARD
    Desynchronize Animations: CPU
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

i have an average system that runs the vanilla game just fine with medium-high settings. i experience a significantly choppy gameplay also.
    now i just toggled down the settings a bit disabled music and reduced the unit size to medium and it works acceptable. now thats not a big minus for me since i can live with small battles skirmishes in that time period..kinda like in the pretty nice tristan and isolde movie
    anyhow and imrovement there wouldnt hurt of course.
    i dont know though what causes the lag and therefore have no idea what would have to be done to improve it

Its interesting that so many are experiencing lag. Does ATW have sprites? On medium detail or lower the sprites should be taking over at a fairly close up distance and literally making lag a non issue (even if they are more detailed models). If sprites ARE there, then I suggest removing the 3d grass from teh battle field thats normally a hefty system hog. After that get rid of gloss (if its there).

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Britannicus
    Its interesting that so many are experiencing lag. Does ATW have sprites? On medium detail or lower the sprites should be taking over at a fairly close up distance and literally making lag a non issue (even if they are more detailed models). If sprites ARE there, then I suggest removing the 3d grass from teh battle field thats normally a hefty system hog. After that get rid of gloss (if its there).
    Sprites and LOD's are wip, not yet implemented.

Ahlerich, the campagin is meant to be played in huge settings according to the modders, it is a very different mod if you played in a lower unit scale. If you had problems playing in anything larger then medium, then performance is definitely an issue for you. Thats the reason i was so disappointed, as i considered my comp specs to be decent.

That said, i could see the great work that the modders had done for this mod, i like many of the concepts, just a pity i couldnt play it as it was meant to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius
    Sprites and LOD's are wip, not yet implemented.
    Well there is everyones problem. I'm pretty sure that if no sprite is specified the game just renders whatever is the lowest LOD. And if you guys don't have the LOD's in either then you're rendering entire armies at the high poly model. WHich means when people zoom out and overlook a battle field of say even just 1000 men they are looking at 1000 high poly models. That will lag up ANYONES computer.

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Not mine

BTW, about sprites, we will soon start debuging them. Some will need to be made again, as we have changed some textures and models meanwhile.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro
    Ahlerich, the campagin is meant to be played in huge settings according to the modders, it is a very different mod if you played in a lower unit scale. If you had problems playing in anything larger then medium, then performance is definitely an issue for you. Thats the reason i was so disappointed, as i considered my comp specs to be decent.

That said, i could see the great work that the modders had done for this mod, i like many of the concepts, just a pity i couldnt play it as it was meant to be played.
    hm i though i wrote that i have a low performance in my post unless i set down almost everything which i dont have to do in other mods.
    how the mod is sugegsted to be played by the modders however does not interest me if my computer simply cant run the mod the way devs recommend it.
    i simply said how and why i am able to enjoy it even with really small units and that is for me simply the only way to play the mod in this state (without sprites)

hmm ok, must have misunderstood. My apologies.