Thread: Where does the game tell itself to use Kyoto's specific map for the campaign siege battle?

Xorte-Renshe's Avatar Civis

Default Where does the game tell itself to use Kyoto's specific map for the campaign siege battle?

I cant find the pointer in the game's files that tell it to use the custom map created for Kyoto. The other citadels in the game are just upgraded versions of whatever they start out as. None of them end up looking like Kyoto. Thus, it uses a special map (the custom battle one).

I came across the thread that talks about using a script (and how it doesn't work) to put TEd created maps into the campaign. Shame. But, the game uses the Kyoto map for the Kyoto siege. Therefore, couldn't it be possible to use whatever formula the game uses to have a custom map for another castle?

Essentially, my end-goal here is to take a recreation of Wakayama castle I'm working on in TEd (modeled after what that little display in the glass case on the top floor of the present-day castle says it looked like back in the old days) and assign it in Kii for use whenever Wakayama's under siege (regardless of how upgraded the castle is).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Of course, I'm still having trouble using TEd, so heck, even if it is possible to do what I'm asking about, I might not even get a map created that I'm happy with, hah.

Frodo45127's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Where does the game tell itself to use Kyoto's specific map for the campaign siege battle?

The file that control what maps appears in a position of the campaign map is "data.pack/campaign_maps/thecampaignyouwant/template_map.xml". However, for some reason, you only can use the original maps. If you try to use a custom map, a "default" map will be loaded instead the custom map.

But if you only want to change Kioto with other map, you can simply put your maps files into the folder "mod.pack/battleterrain/presets/castle_kyoto".

Default Re: Where does the game tell itself to use Kyoto's specific map for the campaign siege battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo45127 View Post
    The file that control what maps appears in a position of the campaign map is "data.pack/campaign_maps/thecampaignyouwant/template_map.xml". However, for some reason, you only can use the original maps. If you try to use a custom map, a "default" map will be loaded instead the custom map.

But if you only want to change Kioto with other map, you can simply put your maps files into the folder "mod.pack/battleterrain/presets/castle_kyoto".
    Hmm, okay. That's too bad.

With "mod.pack", you mean "terrain.pack"? At least, I dont have a mod.pack (though that does sound familiar. Perhaps that was from before CA combined all the patch.packs into the data one.) But, either way, terrain.pack has the castle_kyoto preset and the other castle presets. Thanks for the info!

A couple things that struck me:
    1) The template_map.xml has the path "BattleTerrain/templates/fortified_settlement/templates_castle_kyoto". It doesn't seem to connect to the terrain.pack's "battleterrain/presets/castle_kyoto". This leads into my next point.

2) There's another Kyoto file in the terrain.pack called "Castle_Kyoto_Level_06". What is that? A couple castles have a "Level_06" to them. If the game doesn't use it, then possibly I could make a mod replacing the files in there with the ones from my [to be completed] Wakayama castle, then tell the game to use Castle_Kyoto_Level_06 for sieges in Kii?
    The exact location of Wakayama, according to regions.esf, is -71.81499, -140.8471. It appears that this is its siege battle specification in template_map.xml:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    <BATTLE_TEMPLATE_AREA name='BattleTerrain/templates/fortified_settlement/templates_castle_hilly_plains/' rotation='TR_NONE' bound='aabb(vector(-77.321907,-145.303482),vector(-67.321907,-135.303482))' />

Even though the template_map path doesn't seem to line up with the terrain.pack, could I edit the above Wakayama pointer "templates_castle_hilly_plains" with something like "templates_castle_kyoto_level_06"? Would that even work, since none of the other templates specify castle level? Or is there some other file out there that contains exactly the words "templates_<battlefield name>" that I'd need to edit?

I get that the template_map.xml file doesn't specify the level of the castle, and that the "templates_<castle name>" tells the game to use all the levels for that type of castle. So, if directly telling it to use Level 6 of the Kyoto castle doesn't work, then couldn't I create my own group of castles under a name like "Castle_Wakayama_Level_<#>", mod them into the battleterrain/presets, and then have the template_map.xml use "templates_castle_wakayama" for the Kii sieges?

I'm just throwing ideas out here.

And off topic, but good lord, the blendmap and blendmap_alpha files look like something out of a horror movie.
    Last edited by Xorte-Renshe; September 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM.

Frodo45127's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

With "mod.pack" i mean the pack of your mod. You never should edit the original packs.

About the castles, castles with "fs" are from rots campaign, castles with 6 levels are:
    - Level 1 to 5 for sengoku campaign.
    - Level 2 to 6 for fots campaign.
    And kioto is for sengoku campaign, and kioto level 6 for fots campaign.

About the template_map.xml, you only can change the path with other in the folder "terrain.pack/BattleTerrain/templates/fortified_settlement/". Even if you make a new group of castles, it will load the "default" castle. You can try it, but i spent 2 weeks on that and didn't work.

With "mod.pack" i mean the pack of your mod. You never should edit the original packs.
    No, yeah, I know that. I thought you were talking about a .pack called "mod" already in the files.
    About the castles, castles with "fs" are from rots campaign, castles with 6 levels are:
    - Level 1 to 5 for sengoku campaign.
    - Level 2 to 6 for fots campaign.
    And kioto is for sengoku campaign, and kioto level 6 for fots campaign.

About the template_map.xml, you only can change the path with other in the folder "terrain.pack/BattleTerrain/templates/fortified_settlement/". Even if you make a new group of castles, it will load the "default" castle. You can try it, but i spent 2 weeks on that and didn't work.
    That's a shame. Hmmm... Oh well. I guess the level 6 would be the star fort, yeah? I should have thought of that, haha.
    I'll play around with it, just to see if I can have any blind, dumb luck. But this does seem like a negative prognosis.
    Thanks anyway!