Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Video Review] Total War Rome II Angry Review

Icon8 [Video Review] Total War Rome II Angry Review

Hey Guys,
    So here is my Review for Rome II!

Warning: Rough Language!

I hope it is as therapeutic for you as it was for me.
    This is my longest most comprehensive review pretty much ever.
    43 minutes is just ridiculous, but I just couldn't shut up. I had to highlight all the issues I encountered, include issues others have, give my own opinion while still trying to cover the things it added and what it does well - using examples from my game sessions for everything.

I'm sure many will disagree or dismiss it all with a simple, "none of that happened to me", but here it is for everyone to see.

IMO. CA did not test, balance, bug squash this game as extensively as they had for Shogun 2 and it shows. I'm sure they will fix the game over the next 2 to 3 months, and that we may see what we were looking for in an expansion but Rome II could have benefited from a longer development cycle.

It seems incredibly unlikely that they didn't know about half these issues, yet its still out there in front on steam for $59.95 same as if it were a much cleaner release. I do hope they offer customers free DLC in addition to whats already planned (as well as fixing the issues) to add substance to the apology issued earlier on the official forums.

I know there are a few other threads, if the mods want to combine them thats cool! Hopefully my message will stay intact!
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; September 11, 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Spoiler and rough language warning added

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [Video Review] Total War Rome II Angry Review

thanks joe, your one of the few reviewers left i Respect. Watching now

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looks like its back to Rome 1 for me...

Edit: Like the Cinema Snob reference
    Last edited by Ciciro; September 09, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Can't say I disagree. Was getting annoyed by the whiners, but only because there isn't another company which makes games like CA. So we're stuck with this crappy corporate speak adn rushed releases, hoping someone in the office can make decent AI and pathfinding.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

You rule, JOE! TWC love you! Hopefully your words will flying to CA's and SEGA's ears. You are earned your +reps!
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; September 09, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

I foresee a sharp decline of Aloe Vera stockpiles... CA and SEGA will need it badly to treat the burns. And deservedly so I'm afraid. Though there is a fire at will option for real ranged units. Too bad there isn't one for melee troops who throw javelins and the like on charges. Whoever came up with that idea is brilliantly empty.
    Stupidity is the natural state of human beings; brilliance is when we fail at stupidity.

Speaking of which...

I am ever more reminded of this guy when browsing certain threads.

As much as I hate to say it, but I agree on many points.
    The AI makes singleplayer unbearable and after Shogun 2, the Multiplayer in this game seems very dull.

I really hope, they will give us decent patches.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Spot on review. I wonder how much those near perfect early reviews cost CA.

Fully agreed, great review, thank you. Maybe CA will see this.

hell ya! And you know what's funny Joe? You didn't even cover a lot of other bad things in the game lol. The more everyone plays the more crap we find lol.
    Last edited by Riekopo; September 09, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Let us hope this is a serious wake-up call.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

I also loved that part in video, where he mention Total war center in 28:12. :luv

Figure'd this is OT, so going to post his licensing request because why not.
    Also, wanted to address the fact Joe probably has never read the Fair Use Policy and would like to remind him that CA is based in the UK. (Also, nitpicking, but the F-15 is actually the Eagle- it's the F-14 you want)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by MemoriesPast; September 09, 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Luzspit's Avatar Libertus

Great review!
    And they can't say it wasn't fair, you showed the good points of the game too (Wich I agree)
    But someone at C.A needs to see this

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Spot on review I must say, I enjoyed it more than the actual game. One of the top reviews of AJ I think.

The sad part is seeing the past total war speeches and epic music...makes me really sad and nostalgic...but that barbarian winning music from Rome I makes you happy in the end.
    Last edited by Arksa; September 09, 2013 at 08:32 PM.

An excellent review - perhaps if they fix this game it will be what we dreamed of, but until then I just can't get any enjoyment out of it. I'd also like to know why they thought it was looking so good that they could bring forward an October release....And why the requirement on steam is for 30+ gb whereas the game is only 19gb...And why there are so many bits on the previews are missing from the released game? I guess what I really, really want to know is; Were CA / Sega aware of the unfinished nature of the game but just released it anyway, or were they actually under the impression that it was fit for release? It has to be one of those two, right?

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

As much as it pains me, this review is simply spot on.
    Brilliant review Joe, +rep.
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

TotalDC's Avatar Libertus

Yup. Yup. My eardrums were sufficiently damaged for all of the appropriate reasons.

Excellent review Joe, couldnt agree more
    "I will say it again, there are no bugs in this game. No melee bug, no formation bug, no suicidal general bug, nothing."

M2TWRocks, when speaking of N:TW (Source)

I only agree with the AI part of the review I had zero of the other bug and my turn are fast so not sure what kind of computer you play that game on.

I am under impression some of it was made up for a good "Drama" review if not you probably have the worst luck ever to have all those bugs ,

I have 59hr played ( zenky on steam) and didn't have 10% off all the bug you had . Again beside stupid AI game run fine on my computer and turn take me no longer then 1 min ( 30-45 sec I counted also)

Dont get me wrong the game is far from perfect and need fix but you made it sound way worst then it is I guess you have a crowd to entertain

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast