Thread: Removing minor factions?

Civis

Default Removing minor factions?

In an attempt to fix the long turn times, I was wondering if you could eliminate the minor factions and put all their provinces under slave or rebel control? This would certainly increase the turn times, but obviously it would compromise the gameplay a bit. I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, it'd be great if someone could mod it. I tried doing it myself with the PFM but I couldn't make heads or tails of the damn thing.

Thanks again.

Civis

Default Re: Removing minor factions?

Come on people, this can't be that hard to do. I know some of you guys are pretty skilled. I think this is something alot of folks would appreciate.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

The slave/rebels would still take their turn though, and their AI would still iterate through all provinces and armies.

You can make turn times quicker by having the player own more provinces, so the AI has less to deal with.
    Or by making the map smaller. (less provinces)

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    The slave/rebels would still take their turn though, and their AI would still iterate through all provinces and armies.

You can make turn times quicker by having the player own more provinces, so the AI has less to deal with.
    Or by making the map smaller. (less provinces)
    Is there no way to gut some of the more complex algorithms for the rebel AI?

The kind of 'Rebel' factions we're talking about here would be akin to the neutral mobs in WC3 if I'm not mistaken. All the processing related to diplomacy/Trade/Sim city would be unnecessary.

Best way would be to merge some factions, nobody needs 3 Illyrian factions or 15 Germanic factions.

Yeah This is the most annoying thing about the game.

I'm with you! I started a thread with the same proposal. We really need shorter turn times to get the maximum out of the game with the limited time we have available.

I would love for shorter turns. However Not at the risk of losing these mini nations who can prove to be more effective given time (Syracuse has conquered the entirety of Italia without me doing anything on one of my campaigns)RTW Was plauged by the hardcoded inability to have more nations, making even the realism mods have to make fake confederates. Heres a tip, You can alt tab and go check out your facebook or whatever it is impatient people do while your turn processes

More rebel cities would also greatly improve the gameplay in my opionion.

Rebel cities would help the remaining factions expand in the beginning and gain some momentum. Right now even on very hard the player just snowballs way faster than the AI who I rarely see expand as much as in older TTW-games. The French/Egypt monsters in MTW1 where maybe boring in long run because they would become dominating factions many of the campaigns I played but atleast there where dominant powers to face later in the game. I prefer that kind of challenging endgame over any civil war! This is just not the case in RTW2 right now!

It would also shorten the turns early-mid game until the rebel cities get captured. The rebels dont build or expand but then start with larger forces to make them a greater challenge. Just like in earlier TTWs!

Civis

That's also what I'm getting at, it would allow the major factions to expand better if they had just a bunch of brain dead rebel factions. And it would most certainly speed up the turn times if we could make them all slave/rebels, because they don't do anything. They don't build armies, they don't build buildings, they do nothing. Their basically placeholder AI which takes very little CPU speed to calculate.I tried PFM beta 3 and found the table I was looking for, but sadly it was empty, so I guess this isn't possible yet.Any modders want to weigh in here?