Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing Size of Units - without naval bug or horse bug

Default Re: Increasing Size of Units - without naval bug or horse bug

I'm also having the same issue of editing the number of men and it not being reflected in either custom or campaign modes. I also tried changing the required region of Aux Hoplites to rom_italian and that also doesn't carry over. I have the most up to date version of PFM.

delete duplicate
    Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; September 13, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
    To offend us is to offend God

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi! Apologies in advance if this is a newbie-question, but I need some help with how to increase the unit size. What I've tried so far is to follow this "guide": "Originally Posted by NogaOsibisa View Post 1. Install newest PFM on HD 2. Install your favorite Mod that contains the db file (e.g. the Radious Campaign mod) 3. Open over PFM (Open CA pack, then the Radious Campaign mod) 4. Click main_units_tables 5. Click click main_units 6. Copy the row Num_Men into Excel 7. Replace the actual values with new values 8. Copy the altered row 9. Paste the altered row into main_units to replace the current values in Num_Men 10. Paste the altered row a second time now at Max_Men_Per_Ship to replace the current values 11. Save the changes, or correct some of the values in Num_Men and Max_Men_Per_Ship to your taste and save" I've done all this - and saved. But there is no difference in-game at all. The units still have their original sizes. I'm totally lost and have no idea what to do right now. Thanks in advance!

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm sorry for the previous post - it seems the forum ignored my formatting completely...

I've basically opened Radious Total War-mod in PFM, went to the main_units_tables, changed num_men row to 1.5x in Excel, pasted it back, and did the same thing to max_men_per_ship. I saved and exited - but nothing changes in-game.

Thank u for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    Someone requested that I start a thread to explain how to increase unit sizes so as to avoid the naval bug associated with the multiplier method. (This is the same as ive said in a number of other threads asking about editing unit sizes)

Im assuming that people reading this are familiar with pfm and the pack files...

open main_units:
    edit Num_Men field of unit to desired number.
    change Max_Num_Men field to the same number as Num_Men

if unit you are adding is mounted (elephant/Horse/Camel/Chariot) NB: needs testing.
    open land_units:
    edit Num_mounts to the same number as Num_Men in main_units.
    Ok, so how do I save what I changed now?? It won't save and its says "Will only save MOD and non CA MOVIE files with current settings" what do i do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    I'm sorry for the previous post - it seems the forum ignored my formatting completely...

I've basically opened Radious Total War-mod in PFM, went to the main_units_tables, changed num_men row to 1.5x in Excel, pasted it back, and did the same thing to max_men_per_ship. I saved and exited - but nothing changes in-game.
    First, you should make sure you don't have other mods altering the same tables you just modified. Hope it was clear you modify Radious pack and not the CA packs (should be Read-Only by default but maybe you got crafty )
    Second, the changes you are looking for are in size of newly recruited units or you can try a custom battle and remove default units, add new ones, check their sizes. For initial units to have increased sizes, you need a new campaign start.
    Shrek the Third - you'll run into various bugs with mounted units, navies and who can tell what other. Better start with a mod that already alters sizes as base, check the issues reported for it and if fixes were applied, do any adjustments if any more are needed. Truth is it's not just about unit sizes but also spacings, formations and some stats might come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramesses II The Great View Post
    Ok, so how do I save what I changed now?? It won't save and its says "Will only save MOD and non CA MOVIE files with current settings" what do i do?
    Just saw it! Man, you don't modify the CA packs, you choose a mod that you like (Radious, Battle lines, Improved war, Full Cohort, Magnar) and modify that one.
    Last edited by clasbin; September 12, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

if you want unit size increased with starting armies/garrisons then you need to edit the startpos.

Quote Originally Posted by clasbin View Post
    Just saw it! Man, you don't modify the CA packs, you choose a mod that you like (Radious, Battle lines, Improved war, Full Cohort, Magnar) and modify that one.
    Thank you Sir, +Rep.

if you want unit size increased with starting armies/garrisons then you need to edit the startpos.
    What do I need to do in startpos?? Thanks in advance for the help
    Last edited by Ramesses II The Great; September 13, 2013 at 07:57 AM.

I tried this but nothing happened, I could only get unit scale change to take effect by editing a a save file but that didn't effect the starting armies/garrisons which is why I started using your mod.

Does you mod use the edited startpos method or does it edit all the units individually?
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

Wow, this actually works fine for me; all infantry, missile, cavalry, elephants, chariots and artillery works well with 1.5x setting with Radious Mods; both in custom battle and campaign (in campaign, your already trained units or AI's units doesn't increase, only new recruited units will affect) . But I have a problem with naval units. They're works in numbers but when I board a ship, battle begins and at some point, for example 50/210 men remaining but I can't see them and they can't attack anyone, just hanging there. Is there a way to increase capacity of a naval unit?
    Last edited by TuCoT; September 25, 2013 at 07:27 AM.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Balbor, my mod uses both . I edit the pack for all unit sizes and the startpos for starting army/garrison sizes. I dont use a multiplier though, instead i change the size of every unit individually.

TuCoT, naval bug atm has no solution. Thats why in my mod, ive reduced the size of all naval units to vanilla sizes, only transports will have to deal with the bug.

Can anyone / has anyone tried with units of only 200-240, and does this still have the naval problem?

Thanks

200 men that's it I have 128 cav, 160 light, 192 heavy, and 200 phalanx, it seems as of right now the max transport ships can carry is 200 with no bugs at all, and naval ships I leave at the vanilla 160 or 80 what ever. Naval ships cant have 200 without problems.

Thanks...why would naval ships be loaded with men?...Sorry i have the game, but its still sat on my shelf and will be until some more patches arrive, and i finish my PC build. However, there are a few conditions that need to be met with me and TW games before i play, and 40 unit army's with units that are larger than 160men are two of them. I've been following progress on this so i can sort it before i even play the game for the first time. I dont mind 40 unit army's with 200 men units, given the poor performance of the game. But clearly the Naval bug is well pointless if that is the case.

So to clarify, Transport ships can carry 200 men units without the issues, and im guessing without the need for a linked second added ship?, im also guessing these can land said troops without hitch aswell then?. What im not understanding is your reference to Naval war ships and the issues there, is it not a case of the Naval ships are simply loaded with a default number of troops that stay on the ship regardless, or are you suggesting an added multiplier effects these aswell rendering them buggy?.Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12