Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: VariantMeshDefinitions files

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: VariantMeshDefinitions files

Quote Originally Posted by XxGetBuck123 View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Triple goddamn post. Wish I could just edit.

Anyway, here is the code if this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_red.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/barb_uppertorso_night.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/barb_uppertorso_game.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/greek_corinthian_black.variantmeshdefinition" />
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/cloak/hellenic_companion_cloaks_1.variantmeshdefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/cloak/hellenic_companion_cloaks_2.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="weapon_03" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/greek_circular_5.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/greek_circular_1.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/greek_circular_7.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/greek_circular_3.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" attach_point="weapon_02" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/kopis.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I just took away the helmet coding in there and it seems everyone gets their gear back. So it has something to do with the helmet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot without helmet

Sorry for the reply spamming, I've very very amateur at this and I'm still unsure of many features to this, hence I am asking a few questions
    Something to consider here, is that some definitions have a different structure than others. For example, German Night Hunters have a definition that has "skin" as a parent element. The actual head and torso are assigned to the "beards" slot within. If you search all unit variant definitions, you'll find only one reference to the helmet you've chosen... on spartan general #3. That definition is different from Night Hunters in that the "skin" element does not encompass the other elements. 'Helmets' is at the same level in the structure as "skin" and anything else. This might imply that the model itself is designed differently and it's associated assets may not be directly useable in all situations.. especially when using references to actual model parts instead of defining the part directly. For example, there may be a problem with imposter models being in conflict... those are a known source of trouble as their usage is intentionally limited for performance. Or it could be something entirely different... going too deep with nested elements or such.

This could probably use some rigorous testing to figure out the "rules" and under what conditions certain model parts are compatible (or how their definition files need to be tailored). I would probably try rebuilding your definition using the spartan general as a template instead of the german night hunters, since that model certainly functions with said helmet.

Also, have you run your definition through the variant editor in the assembly kit? Not that it will flag structural problems in any way, but it might give you another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    No, not at all. The pack files are where the vanilla definition files (along with models and textures) are located. You only need those if you want to look at the original definitions in plain text format (or edit models and textures externally). The variant editor loads those and your definition edits go out to the working_data directory. The originals aren't touched and remain packed.

PFM is useful for browsing or unpacking the original assets and definitions, but you can create new definitions entirely within TWeak. It can be enlightening though, to look at the structure of the original variant definition files to understand what it is you're writing with the editor's GUI.

Sorry, I lost track of your question... why did you want those?
    Well basically it's the same question I'm inquiring about here as in the other thread. My question is, if you boil it down, how do I make the meshes I've created in the variant editor availible as meshes for new units? Thus far I've managed to create new units with DAVE aswell as making custom made definitions in the variant editor. However I can't find the way to make my new made units have the appearence of the definitions I've made in the variant editor, the only chooseable option in the column variants in the table unit_variants is the vanilla meshes. How do I go about to solve this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Swede View Post
    Well basically it's the same question I'm inquiring about here as in the other thread. My question is, if you boil it down, how do I make the meshes I've created in the variant editor availible as meshes for new units? Thus far I've managed to create new units with DAVE aswell as making custom made definitions in the variant editor. However I can't find the way to make my new made units have the appearence of the definitions I've made in the variant editor, the only chooseable option in the column variants in the table unit_variants is the vanilla meshes. How do I go about to solve this problem?
    When you start by editing an existing definition (chosen from the "load uniforms" menu option) subsequently saving by choosing "save uniform & colors" won't give you a prompt to rename the file... it uses the default name and thus, changes affect the vanilla unit that references that file. However, "save definition as..." will allow you to give the definition a unique name. Use that name (just the file name part, not the .vaiantmeshdefinition extension) to fill in the 'variant' column in unit_variants and variants tables. In DAVE, there's no drop down menu like in PFM for data entries... you just type or paste it in. PFM might show that as a selectable key reference once you've made the entry to variants and saved the pack (not sure how that works) but there too you can just type in your custom variant name.

I would suggest using TWEAK (variant editor and DAVE) and BOB for the whole workflow. PFM is still highly useful to browse and edit your packed mod afterwards as needed.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; January 27, 2014 at 03:22 PM.

When you start by editing an existing definition (chosen from the "load uniforms" menu option) subsequently saving by choosing "save uniform & colors" won't give you a prompt to rename the file... it uses the default name and thus, changes affect the vanilla unit that references that file. However, "save definition as..." will allow you to give the definition a unique name. Use that name (just the file name part, not the .vaiantmeshdefinition extension) to fill in the 'variant' column in unit_variants and variants tables. In DAVE, there's no drop down menu like in PFM for data entries... you just type or paste it in. PFM might show that as a selectable key reference once you've made the entry to variants and saved the pack (not sure how that works) but there too you can just type in your custom variant name.

I would suggest using TWEAK (variant editor and DAVE) and BOB for the whole workflow. PFM is still highly useful to browse and edit your packed mod afterwards as needed.
    Seems that I'm missing something here. From my experience there actually is drop down menus in DAVE which is the reason why I can't choose anything else but vanilla meshes seeing as my personally made meshes aren't availible in the drop down menus.

Edit: Atleast when one speaks of the variant column in unit_variants
    Edit2: Possibly nvm this post, looking in to it atm.
    Edit3: It appears to have worked, seems the culprint was me forgetting to edit the table variants. Personally I blame it on to much spammage of that word within Tweak hehe.
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 27, 2014 at 07:57 PM.

Nope didn't work fully. Atleast now I have managed to create a "new" unit which is availible in game, however, it's just a replica of the vanilla legionaries. I'm probably making a similar mistake as before.

In the column selection_vo inside the table land_units should my custom made unit show up (it's name is celtic Legionaries and it doesn't atm) or should I leave it as legionaries from where I copied it?

Edit: Perhaps I could upload my results so that someone helpful and more knowledgeable than me could take a peek at it and find where I went wrong. In such a case is it the mod in question, as it's laying in the retail folder or is it something else that should be uploaded?
    Edit2: NVM made it work. However my custom made units weapons and shields are stuck inside their bodies. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM.

Laetus

Something to consider here, is that some definitions have a different structure than others. For example, German Night Hunters have a definition that has "skin" as a parent element. The actual head and torso are assigned to the "beards" slot within. If you search all unit variant definitions, you'll find only one reference to the helmet you've chosen... on spartan general #3. That definition is different from Night Hunters in that the "skin" element does not encompass the other elements. 'Helmets' is at the same level in the structure as "skin" and anything else. This might imply that the model itself is designed differently and it's associated assets may not be directly useable in all situations.. especially when using references to actual model parts instead of defining the part directly. For example, there may be a problem with imposter models being in conflict... those are a known source of trouble as their usage is intentionally limited for performance. Or it could be something entirely different... going too deep with nested elements or such.

This could probably use some rigorous testing to figure out the "rules" and under what conditions certain model parts are compatible (or how their definition files need to be tailored). I would probably try rebuilding your definition using the spartan general as a template instead of the german night hunters, since that model certainly functions with said helmet.

Also, have you run your definition through the variant editor in the assembly kit? Not that it will flag structural problems in any way, but it might give you another perspective.
    Well it definitely works.

This is another unit, using the Night Hunters mesh, and the helmet works.

-----------

However I now have another problem.

LEFT - Oathsworn
    RIGHT - My custom unit

So apparently putting Germanic chainmail on a Germanic character model doesn't work??? I'm getting all type of clipping of the arms and no legs, yet the Oathsworn to my left wear it perfectly fine.

MESH

------------------

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_red.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/barb_uppertorso_night.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/barb_uppertorso_game.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" />
    <SLOT name="tunics" />
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/trousers/celtic_basic_trousers.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/armour/germ_chainmail_4.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/pelts/roman_wolf_pelts.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/hellenic_cavalry_shields_viking.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/rhomphaia.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/celtic_axes.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

-----------------------

-Changes compared to pics in BOLD

-Germanic armour that doesn't work, BOLD UNDERLINE

Apart from that, I don't know why Germanic armour doesn't work, on Germanic player models.... Doesn't make sense.

@ Le_Swede

Upload your mod and I can take a look. I'm not up to speed on animations though, other than maybe recognizing an obvious problem (incorrect reference etc). It should be in /retail... default name is mod.pack

@ XxGetBuck123

Can't tell exactly from the screenshot, but it looks like you may need the 'cut' trousers model version on some variants in that unit instead of the regular. The regular would go with the shirtless torso, the cut with the armor.

If you want to use incompatible model parts in the same unit, they need to be on different men. So you would create a separate variant within the same file. Off the top of my head, take a look at vanilla Elite Persian Archers for an example format. That unit has some men with head wraps and some with beards and caps. The beard won't work if the head wrap gets chosen for the same man (probably just clip) so you make a separate varia nt for those. With 2 variants in the unit definition, each has a 50% probability of appearing (the math works just as for parts slots probability).

So in your case, it looks like you'd want a separate parent variant (same file) with chainmail and the 'cut' trousers and another for the shirtless model with uncut trousers. At least, that's my guess from the screenshot... have to try your definition in the editor or in game. In any case, using multiple definitions is the way to get more model part variety into a unit and perhaps work around illegal combinations.

edit: Looking a little closer, the chainmail model has trousers attached in it's definition. So it's not quite as I suggested above... but I'd still try separating the shirtless and the armoured variants. Keep an eye on the slot tags as well... it's possible some of these glitches are due to placement. The Oathsworn, for example, uses the tunic slot for armour, but here you have it in the clothing slot.

edit: Also, in the Elite Archer definition I mentioned above, look at the overall structure. It uses a 'base' slot to hold 2 sub-definitions. In some other examples (e.g. cel_bowmen.variantmeshdefinition) the same concept is in play, however, the parent container for the 2 variants is 'skin'. I'm not certain if there is some distinction in usage, or if this is simply two ways to get the same job done.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; January 28, 2014 at 02:05 AM.

Uploading it atm, takes forever for some reason tho...

Thanks for all the help mate!

Edit: When I try to upload it to twc I get a message saying that it's an invalid file. The file in question is 1,6mb and .pack .
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 28, 2014 at 02:31 AM.

Laetus

@ Le_Swede

Upload your mod and I can take a look. I'm not up to speed on animations though, other than maybe recognizing an obvious problem (incorrect reference etc). It should be in /retail... default name is mod.pack

@ XxGetBuck123

Can't tell exactly from the screenshot, but it looks like you may need the 'cut' trousers model version on some variants in that unit instead of the regular. The regular would go with the shirtless torso, the cut with the armor.

If you want to use incompatible model parts in the same unit, they need to be on different men. So you would create a separate variant within the same file. Off the top of my head, take a look at vanilla Elite Persian Archers for an example format. That unit has some men with head wraps and some with beards and caps. The beard won't work if the head wrap gets chosen for the same man (probably just clip) so you make a separate varia nt for those. With 2 variants in the unit definition, each has a 50% probability of appearing (the math works just as for parts slots probability).

So in your case, it looks like you'd want a separate parent variant (same file) with chainmail and the 'cut' trousers and another for the shirtless model with uncut trousers. At least, that's my guess from the screenshot... have to try your definition in the editor or in game. In any case, using multiple definitions is the way to get more model part variety into a unit and perhaps work around illegal combinations.

edit: Looking a little closer, the chainmail model has trousers attached in it's definition. So it's not quite as I suggested above... but I'd still try separating the shirtless and the armoured variants. Keep an eye on the slot tags as well... it's possible some of these glitches are due to placement. The Oathsworn, for example, uses the tunic slot for armour, but here you have it in the clothing slot.

edit: Also, in the Elite Archer definition I mentioned above, look at the overall structure. It uses a 'base' slot to hold 2 sub-definitions. In some other examples (e.g. cel_bowmen.variantmeshdefinition) the same concept is in play, however, the parent container for the 2 variants is 'skin'. I'm not certain if there is some distinction in usage, or if this is simply two ways to get the same job done.
    Alright, so I followed your advice and the Elite Persian Archer mesh advice. And this is the outcome.

This is the MESH

BOLD being the difference

--------------------------

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/greek_corinthian_tall.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="tunics" />
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/cloak/thracian_1.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/hellenic_cavalry_shields_viking.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/celtic_swords.variantmeshdefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/celtic_axes.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/greek_corinthian_tall.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="tunics" />
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/armour/germ_chainmail_2.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/cloak/thracian_1.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/celtic_swords.variantmeshdefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

----------------------

I was looking at other Germanic units and other units in general, and the armour is in the "clothing" section. So I've simply just added it there, yet its still wrong.

I've also made it look EXACTLY the same as the Elite Persian Archer mesh setup, so its pretty much as if I've gotten the Persian Archer, and copied in all the Germanic stuff.

Here's a link to my mod. I had to upload it to steam since I for some reason wasn't able to upload it to the thread.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=221784690

Oh, I see. There aren't actually any trousers being referenced.

Instead of germ_chainmail_2.variantmeshdefinition (or any of the numbered variants) use germanic_chainmail.VariantMeshDefinition. That's a tunic with the all numbered armours and trousers attached. You'll get variants for the parts as well. You have to look into the part definitions that you're referencing to see what it does or doesn't include. Better still, use the variant editor in the Assembly Kit to browse the parts and edit or assemble a new definition. You can use the templates to get the few different data structures that CA use (e.g. 'skin' as the parent element is the 'man' template, 'base' as the parent is the man_final template).

Here's a definition similar to what you're doing, worked up in the editor. I just added another variant to vanilla Night Hunters (on the bottom). The chainmail (which contains tunic, armour and trousers) goes in the clothing slot, as this template has no 'tunic' slot. I don't know whether you can mix templates within a definition or add additional slots.

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_red.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_red_knot.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_red_knot.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_red.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_red_knot.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_red_knot.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" />
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" />
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/germanic_long_wooden_shields.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/germanic_hex_shields.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" attach_point="weapon_01" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/celtic_shortspears.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" attach_point="weapon_05" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/javelins_leaf.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_moustache_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_moustache_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/barb_headhands_bearded.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/greek_corinthian_tall.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour/germanic_chainmail.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\cloak\germanic_leather_cloak/germanic_leather_cloak.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\cloak/celtic_chieftan_cloaks.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/germanic_long_wooden_shields.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/shield/germanic_hex_shields.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/celtic_shortspears.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/javelins_leaf.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

I used parts that (mostly) don't clip. The hair_helmet varieties work well enough with the Corinthian helmet, the headhands_bearded skins (in the beard slot) are cutaways that work well with the chainmail. Some longer hair models will clip with either the helmet or the cloaks, so you have to experiment. For cloaks, I used both a direct model assignment and a definition reference. No weapons changes.

Here are the culturally ambiguous Night Hunters

If you want something other than a 50/50 split, add a 3rd variant that's a duplicate of one of the two, or with just some subtle change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _test_var.jpg  

Okay, let's see if this works then.

Edit: It appears that they no longer show up in custom battles due to me binding them to certain areas of recruitment. Working on fixing it.

Edit2: There we go, the file named multicultural rome no aux have my units availible for rome in custom battles.

Edit3: Seems that the units are availible for custom battles in both files, however you will need to launch it in mitch's mod manager.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 28, 2014 at 07:45 PM.

Laetus

Oh, I see. There aren't actually any trousers being referenced.

Instead of germ_chainmail_2.variantmeshdefinition (or any of the numbered variants) use germanic_chainmail.VariantMeshDefinition. That's a tunic with the all numbered armours and trousers attached. You'll get variants for the parts as well. You have to look into the part definitions that you're referencing to see what it does or doesn't include. Better still, use the variant editor in the Assembly Kit to browse the parts and edit or assemble a new definition. You can use the templates to get the few different data structures that CA use (e.g. 'skin' as the parent element is the 'man' template, 'base' as the parent is the man_final template).

Here's a definition similar to what you're doing, worked up in the editor. I just added another variant to vanilla Night Hunters (on the bottom). The chainmail (which contains tunic, armour and trousers) goes in the clothing slot, as this template has no 'tunic' slot. I don't know whether you can mix templates within a definition or add additional slots.

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_beard_red.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/barb_hair_red.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" />
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" />
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    </SLOT>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_beard_darkbrown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_moustache_blond.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\hair_beards/barb_hair_helmet_moustache_brown.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="beards" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\skin/barb_headhands_bearded.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/greek_corinthian_tall.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour/germanic_chainmail.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\cloak\germanic_leather_cloak/germanic_leather_cloak.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\cloak/celtic_chieftan_cloaks.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    </SLOT>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

I used parts that (mostly) don't clip. The hair_helmet varieties work well enough with the Corinthian helmet, the headhands_bearded skins (in the beard slot) are cutaways that work well with the chainmail. Some longer hair models will clip with either the helmet or the cloaks, so you have to experiment. For cloaks, I used both a direct model assignment and a definition reference. No weapons changes.

Here are the culturally ambiguous Night Hunters

If you want something other than a 50/50 split, add a 3rd variant that's a duplicate of one of the two, or with just some subtle change.
    Thankyou very much with your help!

I seem to have it all sorted now, still a little confused at times but now I got that understanding that I need

Cheers

Laetus

Sorry for double post.

If you could also help me on how to use the Assembly kit to view the models and create my own definition?

I've got it installed yet looks so strange Even viewing them would be good so I don't have to go from Pack edition to game just to see what helmet my guy has on etc..

Is it possible to add crests to helmets that don't normally have it assigned?

I am trying to apply crests onto the Iberian sinew caps, namely cap 4 and one of the others I forget. But if I try and enter code to give them crests, nothing shows up. This is an example of what I was attempting:

Code:
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    	<SLOT name="helmets" >
    		<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_1.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    			<SLOT name="top_crests" attach_point="crest_centre" >
    				<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/crests/phyrgian_crest_1_black.rigid_model_v2" />
    				<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/crests/phyrgian_crest_1_red.rigid_model_v2" />
    				<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/crests/phyrgian_crest_1_white.rigid_model_v2" />
    			</SLOT>
    			<SLOT name="side_crests" />
    		</VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    				<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/crests/phyrgian_crest_1_black.rigid_model_v2" />
    				<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/crests/phyrgian_crest_1_red.rigid_model_v2" />
    				<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/crests/phyrgian_crest_1_white.rigid_model_v2" />
    			</SLOT>
    		</VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_3.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    			</SLOT>
    		</VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_4.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    			</SLOT>
    		</VARIANT_MESH>

</SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

Does anybody know the variant mesh for the Parthian champion's cap? I can't find it.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    Is it possible to add crests to helmets that don't normally have it assigned?

I am trying to apply crests onto the Iberian sinew caps, namely cap 4 and one of the others I forget. But if I try and enter code to give them crests, nothing shows up. This is an example of what I was attempting:

Code:
    <VARIANT_MESH>
        <SLOT name="helmets" >
            <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_1.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                </SLOT>
            </VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_2.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                </SLOT>
            </VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_3.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                </SLOT>
            </VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/iberian_cap_4.rigid_model_v2"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/helmets/celtic_leather_helmet_01.rigid_model_v2" >
                </SLOT>
            </VARIANT_MESH>

</SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    No its not possible. Crests are determined by the helmet. If it doesnt have attach points set on the helmet then you cant add crests to it.

Baltizar's Avatar Civis

I have noticed in the varient editor in the assembly tools there is a section for bloodpack...How would you incorporate that in a new definition or is there any need to to get the effect of limb loss and decapitations

Hello, Can anyone help me fix my mod. first time doing a mod, tried followed instructions from guides here. got up to finished variant meshes all from vanilla game but somehow when i load rome 2 with only my mod ctd idk i tried everything i know and went over the guides again and again. i must be missing something please help.

Warriors2.zipWarriors2.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	308730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	308731

Fixed the problem now everything works fine. going to change the meshes abit for more colours. using secondary swords from steam user =(e)= Lemonater47 secondary swords animation