Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused on History and Realism

Default Re: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused on History and Realism

CELTOGERMANS
    (
    Bastijanthai, Lougoi)

With the term Celtogermans we can define two distinct realities in Eastern Europe, highly interconnected to each other: the Lugii (Lougoi) and the Bastarnae (Bastijanthai).

The Lugii (possibly meaning "The Bright", from Celtic root) were a powerful confederation of different tribes, located in the area of modern Poland.

Despite the efforts of Polish archaeologists to assign a Proto-Slavic identity to the Lugii during the '30s, by analyzing the archaeological evidence in detail, identifiable in the Przeworsk Culture, the common theory today is that they were a composite reality, dominated by a strong Celtic element but incorporating sacral elements of Germanic martial culture (the Harii brotherhood) and various tribal entities speaking a Germanic language belonging to the West Germanic branch, such as the Elveconi and Buri (cfr.
    . Carl Waldman e Catherine Mason, Encyclopedia of European People, p. 498).

During the transition between the first century BC and the first century AD, the Germanic influence within the Lugian confederation grew exponentially, due to the overlap of new Germanic elements, this time coming from the eastern branch , until it became an entirely Germanic milieu, eventually giving life to the Vandals .

Przeworsk Culture IV-III B.C. "Celtic" Lugians, Archeological Museum of Krakow, Poland,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lugian axe (identical to Lepontic axes) from Ciecierzyn

Przeworsk Culture II A.D. "Germanic" Vandals, Archeological Museum of Krakow, Poland,

Late Przeworsk Culture findings

On the other hand, first infiltrations of East Germans on the Culture of Przeworsk are attested already between the fourth and third century BC, giving birth to the Poienesti - Lukashevka Culture, identified as the material expression of the Bastarnae.

The Bastarnae are actually listed as originating from Silesia, then part of the Culture of Przeworsk , but in the third century BC they migrated, extending over a large area identified with the southern part of Ukraine and Moldova.

Strabo places the Bastarnae "Among the Ister (Danubius) and Borysthenes (Dnepr)"
    (Strabo, Geography, VII , 3, 17)

The Bastarnae are actually the first Germanic people we have records of: they are mentioned along with the Sciri in the Protogenes inscription, which describes their unsuccessful attempt to storm the Greek colony of Olbia (on the Black Sea) in the third century BC.
    Poienesti-Lukashevka Culture: Gryniv Scabbard
    (evident the Thracian influence and similarities with Gundestrup Cauldron)

It has been postulated that Bastarnae and Sciri do not actually correspond to two different peoples, but rather to two social classes belonging to the same culture, respectively:

- "aristocrats" for the Sciri, literally "the Cleaned/Pure"

- "plebeian" for the Bastarnae, from the Proto- Germanic root *bastjan, literally "Bound", interpreted as "Servile Lineage" and in its broadest sense "Bastardized"

Although the theory that read "Bound " as "Servile" has recently been discarded, the new proposed reading is "Interconnected /Confederate", which would indicate a bunde of different tribes, both Celtic and Germanic.

The Bastarnae were in fact divided into several tribes: the Peucini, the Atmoni, the Sidonians and the Costoboci. (Strabo, VII, 3, 13; Ptolemy III, 5.7)

Bastarnae Rhomphaiophoroi on Adamclisi metope - note Suebian knot

The Atmoni have been identified as a tribe previously affiliated to the Lugian confederation (a further demonstration of the link between the two Celto-Germanic entities), while the Costoboci (identified with either Lipiţa or Poiana-Răcătău-Tinosul Culture), appeared to be of mixed Celtic and Dacian origin.

Lipiţa Culture / Poiana-Răcătău-Tinosul Culture

Furthermore, according to Tacitus, the Bastarnae also mixed up also with the Scythians in the eastern area of their domains
    (Germania, 46), which means they could probably be identified with the “Keltoskythai” that the greek historians placed near the Bosphorus. (cfr --> https://www.academia.edu/4835555/Gallo-Scythians )

Celto-Scythians Montefortino helmets from Russia

__________________________________________________________________________________________

With all this shown evidences, we decided to depict Celtogermanic Roster with a mix of Eastern and Western Germanic troops, some early Celtic troops and some personal ethnic units, all obviously regulated with AOR recruiting system and researches.

Germanic Hunters

Germanic Clubmen
    Western Germanic Riders

Harjoz

Eastern Germanic Riders
    Eastern Germanic Warband

Celtic Skirmishers

Celtogermanic Warriors
    Pannonian Swordsmen

Lougoi Axemen

Keltoskythai Riders
    Bastijanthai Rhomphaiophoroi

II B.C. troops
    Costoboki Spearmen
    Costoboki Noble Horsemen

Wandili Warriors

Lougoi Axemen

Bastijanthai Rhomphaiophoroi

Keltoskythai Riders

Costoboki Spearmen

Costoboki Noble Riders

Wandili Warriors

Last edited by il Pitta; February 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM.

Default Re: Conflictus Antiquarum Culturarum (CAC) a major overhaul mod of Rome 2 focused on History and Realism

And next... Britons and Eblani !

Coming soon! Stay tuned :-)

The previews look awesome mate. Have you and lutland decided what factions are going to be playable along side the vanilla factions releasedwith the game?
    "Nothing is True Everything is permitted"

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigorukia View Post
    The previews look awesome mate. Have you and lutland decided what factions are going to be playable along side the vanilla factions releasedwith the game?

Great work

I hope all factions will be playable!

We haven't decided on this issue yet and for the alpha release (in few weeks time) only the standard factions are playable. But due to the addition of a number of new faction unit rosters it would be natural to have additional factions playable as well :-)

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Love this one
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Liftoff! We have a liftoff ......as of today we are proud to present this labour of love that we have worked very hard to complete over the last five months

We have made the preview version 0.5 (alpha) public available and hope it will be well received. In the meantime we will continue our work leading up to the first beta release in a few months time.

Version 0.5 is available here and you can review the mod contents here. We would like to thanks PhallosMaximus for playtesting the mod leading up to this release and also for pointing out weaknesses in the implementation, which have since been corrected

Remember to provide constructive feedback and we will hopefully read you soon in our future hosted mod forum (at least the application is submitted to the Hex)!

Thank you!
    il Pitta and iutland

WOW congratulations guys I will definatelly try this when I find some time in order to provide as much feedback as I can ! Again Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

I'll have to try it soon.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; February 23, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Looking good mate can not wait to give it a try and provided feedback and we all are waiting the release of the first Beta version so keep up the great work Mate +rep

madrush's Avatar Senator

was thinking if the lucanians and samnites could have a spot in the mod, i dont think the lucanians ever made an appearance in the game rather just mentioned in the prologue campaign

Thank you guys

T
    his is a presentation of some the other contents included in CAC version 0.5 besides reworked faction unit rosters (also shown in post#3).

Please provide feedback, questions or comments

The first image shows the reworked Carthaginian roster in CAC. The "Punic Rebels" called Rebel Mercenaries and the Libyans are equipped with a subset of the Carthaginian roster:

The next image shows the playable factions in custom battle. Note that not all vanilla units are available such as the ones from BoW DLC:

The next two images presents the decreased and increased zoom levels available during campaign play. Activate by pressing the ESC key during campaign intro "movie":

The next two images shows the relocation of the Roxolani and Scythian factions for a more historical correct starting position. Note that the Cimmerian capitol is thus relocated as well:

The next couple of images shows the starting positions of Carthage and the altered Iberian start setup:

The next image shows the modified start diplomacy settings with Rome as an example:

The next five images shows the availability of increasingly better units for the Romans via military reforms to resemble the actual composition of the Roman armies in the game time frame. For now the reforms are researched as technologies and in the future we may build in script dependencies. However we do not intend to make all events script based thus making the game flow much more predictable and less dynamic. The timing of the reforms should hopefully correlate, +/- x-number of years, with the actual historical events. All other factions (if applicable) will have also have better units available via reforms/research-technologies although to a lesser degree than our fellow Romans

Cornelian reforms:

Marian reforms:

Augustean reforms:

Augustean Auxiliary Infantry:

Augustean Auxiliary Cavalry:

Looking go mate enjoy playing it so far a quick question why are the objectives removed for the Factions?

Looking go mate enjoy playing it so far a quick question why are the objectives removed for the Factions?
    What factions in particular? We didn't edit any objectives??

billydilly's Avatar Senator

I think he means Victory Conditions, like Bactria have to hold Rome etc.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

I have 1 suggestion and 1 question : First could you give cavalry a bit less hp because cavalry battles seem to go on forever , and second how does difficulty affect battles? Does the AI get great bonuses when we increase battle difficulty ? Keep up the great job guys

LordKainES's Avatar Ducenarius

Wow!!! I love this mod!!! I hope you´ll keep improving it!!! this can be the ultimate Rome II mod!

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    I think he means Victory Conditions, like Bactria have to hold Rome etc.
    Nice find and thanks for the explanation+Rep to both of you. I can confirm the objectives are missing and is probably caused by the use of the CA assembly kit to build our startpos; CA was right it was a beta tool after all and almost resembles the game's quality at its release date

We should surely be able to add the objectives for our next release.

Cheers
    iutland

Quote Originally Posted by Legatus21 View Post
    I have 1 suggestion and 1 question : First could you give cavalry a bit less hp because cavalry battles seem to go on forever , and second how does difficulty affect battles? Does the AI get great bonuses when we increase battle difficulty ? Keep up the great job guys
    We surely will

I will not promise to lower the hitpoints because it was done on purpose but I will consider it and perhaps change it before next release. Thank you for the suggestion

No, we haven't build in any extra battle difficulties and so far we haven't discussed the necessity to do so. The included difficulties/bonuses are related to campaign play

Quote Originally Posted by LordKainES View Post
    Wow!!! I love this mod!!! I hope you´ll keep improving it!!! this can be the ultimate Rome II mod!
    Glad to hear that This game has lot of unused potential so we will keep on modifying it (if it is an improvement is not for us to decide) in our quest for the most enjoyable Rome 2 experience!

Hey author i tried this mod and i like it but there is one big problem,why units routing even 30 mens of hastati running so fast after 2 min fighting.